1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

SPPF Christian Alliance

Discussion in 'Clubs' started by Pikawho?, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taneka

Taneka Pokemon Collector

Thanks guys i knew i would be welcome here. I wanted to connect with a group of Christians who share a enjoyment of the game of pokemon. I thought by joining it would help me grow in my walk with God. Yes we do serve an awesome God. As for the topic of Divorce my parents never got a divorce. My dad Decide drugs were more important than his family. He couldn't cope with the fact that he didn't have a son who could walk and do all kinds father son activities together. My mom kicked him out saying I can't be pregnant, have a child with a disability, and have you doing drugs. I want you to leave go clean up and then come back to us. My dad left and never returned.

They never got around to filing the paperwork to finalize a divorce.

2. VictiniTrainer

VictiniTrainer Well-Known Member

My parents got divorced 3 years ago, they were having fights almost 24/7. My stepdad was the person who brought me and my mom to God though, so not everything about it was bad. And although i dont seem like the most religious person, i try my best to follow the bible and love God with all my heart. Since then, my father has come to know God even though he does not visit church much.

3. Pikawho?

Pikawho? (five15)

Christianity and the interwebz: Not much to add to what has been said. The fact that this club is up is the result of approval for using the internet to spread the gospel.

Welcome to the club, Taneka! Hopefully your stay here will be enjoyable! =P

Chosen-one: you'll be in my prayers. A healthy life-style is definitely something worth pursuing. =)

My parents have been married for about 22 years now. They go through periods where they fight alot, but they're generally able to work things out. Sometimes, I wonder if they'd have stayed together if not for God's steady hand in their lives....Personally, I don't know anybody who's parents have been divorced (while I have known them) so I can't really contribute to this topic.

Anywho, I've got a prayer request. Y'all might be thinking "You turd! You avoided posting in the club yet come when you need prayer! Out with thee! >O" but this seriously came up while I was posting.

Anyways, I just got a call from my college about the transfer program I'm trying to get into. It turns out that I've got every required course knocked out (including the ones I'm taking this semester) EXCEPT for an art elective. The guy said that he'd talk it over with the higher ups and try to get me in anyways, but "rules are rules so don't get your hopes up". I could certainly knock out the credits over the summer and still get in this fall, but I was really looking forward to the summer internship that is included in the program.

So just be praying that we'll be able to sort things out. I'm trying to remember what my advisor had said previously, which caused me to avoid taking an elective in the first place. I'm pretty sure that he told me to take the elective at the college I'm transfering to (and sending the credits back to recieve my associates degree). But we'll see...

"'For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord, 'plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.'" -Jeremiah 29:11 (ESV)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  4. chosen_one386

chosen_one386 Angel of Chaos

I won't be able to contribute to the discussion of divorce, either. My parents have been married for 34 years this May, and though they fight, they're still together. My parents are older than most parents of kids my age, so I'm glad they are still here and thank God that they've stuck together all these years.

5. TheFightingPikachu

TheFightingPikachu Smashing!

I cannot contribute anything (from firsthand experience) to the topic of divorce, either.

Well put. I agree with the above, and most all of what you stated about the internet. I've found some great resources on the internet (like that article by Stephen Jay Gould I mentioned in my evolution-rebutting post).

I don't know if I beg to differ (LOL), since it may or may not be more difficult to convince someone over the internet. In my experience, it has been exceedingly difficult. I've had very little positive results. I think my time on the Debate Forum has been productive for the reasons you've mentioned, and I'd also add that it has allowed me to refine some of the reasoning I use. I hope my time debating will be at least as useful to others as it has to me.

6. Sceptile Master

Sceptile Master Survivor of the Great Avatar Depression

Hi guys, just thought I'd stop by again.

Now, I do observe Lent... although honestly I think I forgot to give something up. ._. Eh heh, I'll have to think of something...
    Now, since I'm part of an Eastern Catholic Ukranian Greek Byzantine church (wow, long name... I'm pretty sure it goes in that order), Lent started for me... on March 7th, this year, not on Ash Wednesday. Actually, our rite does not do Ash Wednesday... just the older tradition of the Eastern Catholics, I guess.
    Also, just thought I'd mention that Friday was the Annunciation of Mary. You know, when Gabriel came down and asked Mary if she wanted to be the mother of God. I'm not sure how much it is emphasized in other rites, but since we had school that day we went to mass in the morning, which of course was, what's the term, centered around it... one of our Sisters had us wear our Sodality sashes. Near the end, we also got the oil on our foreheads and a piece of that cubed bread that's given out on special days like such. I'm not really sure how to explain that, but yeah. (Sorry, it's almost 1am as I'm typing this...)
    Ahh, yes, I'm hoping that soon, I'll be able to make my first confession. Even if I have to wait about another year, I'll be happy. I asked our Sister that teaches us Religion class about it, and I've talked with my mom about it, but yes, that would be nice.

If you may, I'd like to ask that you pray for my mother as well. She may have to quit her job as a correctional officer soon, as in, a few days even, because of all these accusations being made against her at work (trust me, she didn't do anything :p). The people at the prison (usually the co-workes more so than the inmates...) can be quite rude, and I think that after working there for so many years she's finally had enough of this nonsense, and being accused (before and now), so she'd rather quit than get fired. This of course means she'll have to find a new job (she's already started looking for some, and I think she may have started on some applications or something), and although the pay probably won't be as good, I'm sure she'll be happier wherever she ends up working at. We won't go broke, but I guess we'll end up being tighter with our money, but everything should be fine. I don't want to go much further, as it'd take a while to explain (but seriously, she didn't do anything), as some things may get personal, and the fact that's it's just way too late right now. So, please pray for her, that things may go well, as for our small family too.
    I'd like to say more, but I should be going now...

7. DasBoot

DasBoot Well-Known Member

Hey, I wouldn't mind joining. :3

8. 'Ferno

'Ferno Top-Down Trainer

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  9. Taneka

Taneka Pokemon Collector

Nice. Hey sorry to not be around i've been busy preparing for a trip to finally meet the future In-laws. I would appreciate the praer while I am there. Here Famil is non christian and aren't really happy that their daughter has agreed to marry me. They heard the word wheelchair and have the idea that their daughter is going to support me for the rest of her life and be my caregiver. To top it off they believe i am incapable of doing anything for myself. I've made every attempt to meet them but they kept making excuses not to see me.

Finally one MY fiancee said make a choice etheir meet him now or at the wedding. So needless to say i am meeting them but they aren't to thrilled about. Please pray that there is a good first meeting

10. chosen_one386

chosen_one386 Angel of Chaos

I certainly will. My mom's been having trouble at work for the past few years as well. She's fed up with all of this mess that is going on in the public school system, so she'll probably end up quitting in the next few years.

That video was pretty awesome. Makes one think. :)

As I'm not married, I don't have any experience with in-laws (or future ones), but I will say that as long as you are polite during your meeting with them, you shouldn't have any trouble. Show them that you will take good care of their daughter and love her very much. As a daddy's girl, I suspect that it's especially hard for her father to cope with his daughter getting married. These excuses may be his way of getting around it.

11. Ms. Togekiss

Ms. Togekiss Now 70% more enigma!

I would like to join. I love the Lord and show it by kindness to others and loving them no matter what. We hate their sinful actions, not the person himself.

12. BlazikenBlitz

BlazikenBlitz Blaziken Ninja

Sorry for not contributing to these conversations, but I'm still growing in Christ, (Seeing as I'm a 12 year old) and I really have nothing to give at the moment.
    I'm just here to take it all in at the moment.

13. HydroSwampert

HydroSwampert Well-Known Member

I would like to join. I have been a believer in Christ for my whole (short) life. I will be getting Confirmed in the next weeks.

14. NimhShambler

NimhShambler Fighting Type Prof.

I've an idea for a topic, if that's okay:

Why do you think it is that people mock us? Why is it that Christianity is the only religeon that can be mocked, while nothing else is?

I think that, with Aethists especially, they mock us because they are afraid that they are wrong, and by mocking us and calling us stupid because "you all believe in an invisible sky-daddy that no one can see! Derp!". They want to convince themselves that there is no God because they are afraid. They know that He is real, deep down, and they are afraid that they will go to Hell.

As for the other part, I really don't know.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  15. Pikawho?

Pikawho? (five15)

Togekiss and Swampert: Welcome to the club! I hope that your knowledge and love of God will increase with your time here!

@dwl: It's fine if you don't have anything to contribute. You're young so you've got plenty of time to grow spiritually. ;P

@Taneka: I'll definitely be praying. I can understand how that'd be tough. Hopefully everything will go smoothly.

Why do you think it is that people mock us? Why is it that Christianity is the only religeon that can be mocked, while nothing else is?

Well, Jesus didn't promise that it'd be easy. When He asked us to take up our cross and follow Him, He was telling us that we'll need to suffer for His sake. Scattered throughout the New Testement we're told that through our perseverence God is glorified. The fact that this is a common theme is telling us that being made fun of shouldn't be a surprise. God is bigger than anything that comes along to test our faith. Continue to trust in Him and we'll be rewarded on the last day.

Anywho, I honestly don't know why Christianity is singled out most of the time. Maybe it's because we're less likely to fight back. idk

As for the latter part of your post, here's my theory: denying God is a defense mechanism. Like you said, they do not want to accept that He is real. If they accept that He is real, then they accept that there is a moral standard that they need to live up to, or else. We're prideful beings. It's natural to think that we deserve more and ought to do whatever we please. So of course they'll take the step to deny God completely so that they won't need to second guess everything they do and create their own standards of right and wrong.

Do they make fun of us to reassure themselves that they're right? Probably not. Alot of the whining I've heard/read is about Christians "forcing their beliefs on them". This simply means that somebody is doing the job that Jesus told us to do ("Spread the good news to all nations and tongues"). I can understand that it might be annoying, but by not bothering them about it, we wouldn't be showing them the love of Christ. We should be aware of and care about the eternal states of everyone around us. So we shouldn't stop just because we're being made fun of for "actually believing in a God". [/rant]

I'm tired so this prolly just me rambling. I'm not sure if I answered the questions, but those are my thoughts in general.

Anywho, just gonna give you an update on the prayer request I posted a week ago. God is good and everything worked out smoothly. All miscommunications and whatnot were sorted out so my internship is still lined up for the summer (provided that my matlab course doesn't dismantle me...).

Just gonna make the announcement that I'm going to be taking a break from the internet for the next week. I'll prolly poke my head in tomorrow (with a new memory verse) but otherwise I'll be absent from the forums (or at least try to be) for the next week or so. It seems like everybody has been busy lately so it's prolly not that big of a deal. Just thought you guys should know.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  16. Skillfulness

Skillfulness Well-Known Member

The amount of new memebrs is awesome!!! X3

On the topic, I second Pikawho?. He warned us it wouldn't be easy. I also liked your rant, I feel ya. Ephesians 6:12 says "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms" (I love this verse). I'd also love to be able to start an RPG based on this verse, more like Ted Dekker's circle series. Perhaps in the summer...

On another note, this week is our church's Celebration of Hope! Horray! Basically we take note of less fortunate countries (and even places close to home) and do something about it. For example, the little kids make bracelets to send along with the seeds we pack for people to grow. It's a really great week. Another thing we do is have meals like they have. We have basic rice and beans for five days and the money we didn't spend on soad and cookies we donate. It's pretty great. Finally, TOMS is having it's One Day Without Shoes event on Tuesday. It sperads awareness about the lack of reliable footwear in other countries. So, I guess I'm asking that you pray this week goes well as I hope to do the five day challange and day without shoes. I'm not sure if I won't be allowed to not wear shoes. If you're interested, here's a few links about stuff...

http://coh.willowcreek.org/
    http://www.onedaywithoutshoes.com/

17. Dread Advocate

Dread Advocate †Stay Metal†

Nemmeh's response about "Atheists especially" isn't entirely true, or perhaps it isn't for me. Most people who curse me for my faith in God are self-proclaimed Buddhists and agnostics. Pikawho? pretty much got the first part. As for the second part, I see Judaism and Islam mocked all the time, and rarely Buddhism and Hinduism. Everybody seems to hate the Jews for no reason other than the fact that they are Jews. Everbody mocks the Muslims for understandable reasons, but not all Muslims are bad. It's only the extremists and followers of Sharia law that receive all the attention and therefore give all Muslims a bad name. I have a good friend who is Muslim; we both tease each other about our beliefs, but we never get in each other's face and rant about how the other is wrong. Most people who mock Buddhism and Hinduism actually don't understand a thing about them, a lesson for later, as I must dig up my Asian studies notes for that.
    EDIT: Perhaps this could provide a bit of insight to the question. This is one of my favorite quotes. Ryan Clark, Demon Hunter's frontman, said that it was the main theme for the production for their fifth album, "The World Is A Thorn".

In this age it has seemingly become more and more detestable to be a Christian. Our opinions on social and political issues are no longer tolerated as valid and we are commonly viewed as the enemy. Subjective truth, self-love, unrestricted perversion, the destruction of morality: these are the things that have ultimately brought us to a place of depression and madness

PRAYER REQUEST: My kid brother is violently ill. In all seriousness, the only sound I hear right now other than the keys on the keyboard and War of Ages coming out of the speakers is my brother's crying, moaning, and retching. I was this sick Saturday morning; I only got three hours of sleep Saturday. I'm not sick anymore, but my chest still hurst from my violent spells. It seems that there's something going around my house. Please pray my brother gets better soon, and neither of my parents get this sickness.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  18. Kanto Trio

Kanto Trio Must Defeat Dent!

I've been really busy with school work so I haven't been able to post here in a while. Anyways, I was evangelizing in DC last Saturday with a group of people form my fellowship, and one thing I can say is that there are a lot of people we talked to who claim to be Christian but do not have a proper understanding that salvation is only by faith.

Well you do have some people picking on Muslims. But anyways, I would say it's because a lot of people have misconceptions on Christianity, and that causes them to pick on us.

I myself am a bit scared to admit I'm a Christian since I'm afraid my peers and professors will make fun of me, especially in my research lab.

19. Champion Jared 14

Champion Jared 14 Well-Known Member

Why do you think it is that people mock us? Why is it that Christianity is the only religion that can be mocked, while nothing else is?

Well, my reason for that is because I think Christianity is indeed a very popular religion, and has people following it all over the world. And since it has many ties with many different kinds of people, and people don't have the same understanding of it, or that people just don't agree with it, so they choose to take it over others and to tear it apart. That, and it seems to conflict with the way people want to live their lives...

Oh, by the way, a prayer request for a woman at my church, her name is Regina Head, and her husband recently passed away this past weekend. So if you all could pray for her and her family, I'd appreciate it.

20. Ethan

Ethan Banned

Matthew 11:30 "For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light."

....?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.