• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

SPPf Help and Newbie Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobaloo

I recommend this forum section get renamed to "Website Help and Newbie Lounge"

Why? Because NOBODY new to this forum is going to know what SPPf means. It took me 15 minutes of active searching to figure it out.

Someone new to the site reads this as "Help and Newbie Lounge". Placing website specific acronyms on the title of something specific for newbs is silly.

RRTFG - noobaloo

(see... its hard to understand made-up acronyms)

Last edited:

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Sppf is just one of those acronyms that has stuck when it was more obvious (that is, when the site was known as Serebii's Pokemon Pages - SPP Forums - SPPF). People keep on using it even if that changed since, even to say to refer to these forums from other sites ('so I was on sppf the other day...')

It may be a valid point that it's not known to people new to the site... but I'd thing that the description right below it ('New to the forums? ...') makes it clear what the section is for. And 'Website Help & Newbie Lounge' isn't clear enough I'd argue as members may thing it'd be for advice on their own website.

15 minutes to find out what SPPF means sounds quite the long time tbh.

Just my two cents but maybe change it to "Serebii Forums's Help and Newbie Lounge"? Its specific and people know exactly what it means. Took me a while to know what SPPf stood for exactly as well.

noobaloo

Sppf is just one of those acronyms that has stuck when it was more obvious (that is, when the site was known as Serebii's Pokemon Pages - SPP Forums - SPPF). People keep on using it even if that changed since, even to say to refer to these forums from other sites ('so I was on sppf the other day...')

It may be a valid point that it's not known to people new to the site... but I'd thing that the description right below it ('New to the forums? ...') makes it clear what the section is for. And 'Website Help & Newbie Lounge' isn't clear enough I'd argue as members may thing it'd be for advice on their own website.

15 minutes to find out what SPPF means sounds quite the long time tbh.

Thx. Ya, approx. 15 min remembering I know almost nothing about Pokémon so first I figure its some Pokémon thing, so I googled it. Then I rummage around this site looking for some reference to it. Can't find an "About Us" or anything about the site itself. Look in rules etc. Finally I just used the website search which took me to a list of acronyms, scrolled down and there it was.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
it might be something we could change but please post in the stickied sppf suggestions thread at the top

Status
Not open for further replies.