• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Spring Friendly; a Pokemon Wi-Fi Tournament

Will you be participating?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
I'm just not battling as much this tourney as the last one. My interest in Pokemon has gone down since I finished leveling my team in the main game to either 100 or 99. Also not as free as I was the last time. Doesn't look good for my ranking, but if I manage to have more fun battles where it can go either way, then I'll be happy. ^^

EDIT: And tried finding some battles now...nothin'. :(

Last edited:

Arande

Yeah, I'm done. I know I said I was going to do more than ~25 like I mentioned, but figure I'd stop 18-0 at 1721. It gave me a DC when sending the last match results in, but the match still appeared on my card; yeah, still sent it fine.

Posting these because, last two are my favorite:
39-33123-41397
88-74443-60076
63-77567-84527
80-72624-14071
50-16768-15748
Odd, before there seemed to be a 4 video limit uploaded at a time on the GTS, either they upped the limit without tellin people, or the oldest one will be deleted soon, who knows.

Last edited:

old man

On Guard!!!
Yes seeing a lot of zen headbut metagros's and stall teams. I'm at 1607 after 5 games of really bad matchups plus I let my son play. For me this is about having fun

Silvershark

HAWLUCHA!!!
Total battles: 57
Rating: 1763
W/43 L/8 Disconnections: 6

It was such a beautiful day that I actually spent most of it out fishing, but I did squeeze in a few battles. First match of the day was against a player named Julius with a rank of 2005. It started with my Rotom and Dragonite versus his Politoed and Toxicroak. Toxicroak blocks Rotom with Fake Out while his Politoed hits Dragonite with Ice beam only taking away a fourth of her health as she plows down Toxicroak with Hurricane. Toxicroak survives with a Focus Sash and becomes confused, killing itself the next turn as Rotom's Leaf Storm is blocked again, this time by Politoed's Protect. Dragonite takes the opportunity to Roost back to full health. Julius sends out a Tornadus and the next turn begins. Rotom finally gets to use Leaf Storm to wipe out Politoed, but at the cost of eating a Flying Gem boosted Hurricane from Tornadus. Rotom falls, but is swiftly avenged by Dragonite with Thunder, leaving Tornadus paralyzed and with hardly a sliver of health. I bring out Murkrow, he brings out Kingdra. I pretty much write Tornadus off, he can do some damage, but knowing that I still have a full health Scizor waiting in the wings to knock him off with Bullet Punch makes him a low priority. So I concentrate my efforts on the Kingdra, having Murkrow pin it down with Quash while Dragonite slaps it around with Dragon Tail (always a fun tactic by the way). Tornadus and Kingdra strike back with Hurricane and Dragon Pulse, leaving both my pokemon at half health while Kingdra hovers just above the red zone after Dragonite's tail swinging and Life Orb recoil. Next turn Kingdra blocks Murkrow's Sucker Punch with Protect, which is fine as it leaves Dragonite wide open to finish off Tornadus with Thunder. It's the final turn, three to one. I set my pokemon up to double team on Kingdra, aaaannndd ... he disconnects. Definitely a bit of a downer there, lol. I can only imagine how many points that would have got me. Oh well, at least he'll likely be cut from the final rankings, as I'm quite sure ragequitting is how he got his rank so high. Only had a few more battles, against lower ranked people that gave me a much bigger run for my money; one of which beat me in a match and another who DC'd as soon as the battle started when my first two pokemon were perfect counters to his first two pokemon. Anybody else noticing this tournament feels a lot more like the Autumn Friendly despite having identical rules to the International challenge competition?

Last edited:

Viv

Master Tactician
Hey, good to see some of you guys again! Good luck!

old man

On Guard!!!
Hopefully they will have a summer tourny. I'll start tomorrow on getting a real team together. This is a lot of fun for me. Just wish I would have thought my team through a bit more. Plus I'll teach my son how to put them together. He's still in a singles match frame of mind.

Silvershark

HAWLUCHA!!!
Total battles: 72
Rating: 1782
W/54 L/11 Disconnections: 7

Hard time finding battles today, likely due to it being Mother's Day I imagine. Still found a few people to battle for the hour or two I played today. Nothing particularly noteworthy today.

zozo

SLIMED!
So far this morning I've managed to find two opponents. Both of them in the 1800s and both of them 3-0'd me. well, I forfeited the second one so he got 3-1, but whatever.

Funny thing is, both of them were very similar teams. Both used Cresselia, both were using a mix of legendaries/pseudo-legendaries for three of their slots (Cressellia, Hydreigon, Metagross for the first person, Cressellia, Tyranitar, Zapdos for the second), and the fourth pokemon was a Johto pokemon (Hitmontop for the first person and Scizor for the second)

The first battle in particular was a fun one, I really didn't mind losing that at all. For the first time, my Scrafty got a chance to show what she can do. She could have done better, but I didn't get a chance in either battle to really let her shine. So that was good.

For both of them, I was overall pleased with how my team did. Seeing as I cannot RNG, I don't use legendaries or pseudo-legendaries, and I'm still learning strategy and prediction, I think we did pretty well. Neither one had an easy time taking out my team, and we managed to get at least one KO in each battle while heavily weakening everything else. If I'm not getting a win, at least I'm losing well. :)

My total thus far:
6 wins
8 losses
1 DC (which would have been a win)
Rating: 1509

Hopefully I'll be able to fit in a few more battles tonight before the tourney ends.

EDIT: I'm finishing with one more loss and, I hate to admit it, a ragequit to my (dis)credit. x) A Metagross with king's rock whose flinch chance activates three times in a row was just too much for me. And that was after I took care of his Amoonguss who kept Spore-ing me.

So, if anyone here just got quit on by someone using Sigilyph, Amoonguss, Scrafty, and Lickilicky, that was me, and I apologize.

Last edited:

Plusle.

Plusle!
finishing with a rating of 2001, ggs everybody

Silvershark

HAWLUCHA!!!
Hovering between 1760 and 1780 at the moment, my score's bouncing up and down like a yo-yo, lol. More rampant ragequitting from higher ranked players. I was hoping to break 1800, but it's looking like no one's gonna let me. On the plus side, I'm having a lot of fun battles and got some good battle videos from the ones I wasn't ragequitted on.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
You would think that these tournaments would have mostly smogon competitive teams but that just hasn't been the case in these wifi tournaments. To tell you the truth I'm stunned. But hey! It's great to see more people being creative with there teams! Now if I can only see more of this in Random Match...

Decided to end now. Black (1610 ragequit day 2 after 21 DC's in a row) and stopped on white yesterday which made 1867. I would have loved to play today but I need to sit and let the avg DC rate rise so sore losers do not get me disqualified.

End result 1867 with Cloyster, Infernape, Ferrothorn, Suicune, Tyranitar(Used once), Garchomp(Never used).

I think I did very well for my first Pokemon tournament. I had no real strategy for my team, My version of a "goodstuffs" team. I had Tyranitar and Garchomp at the front of my party. Which to my delight netted me about 10 free wins because my opponent predicted a sandstorm team. Except for that my strategy was simple. Fake out and U-turn on Infernape with life orb. He can fake out so Cloyster can shell smash and leave danger with u-turn, Ferro was great to cover a wide array of Pokemon and force switches. Suicune was a bad decision it did not help me much although I did have a few battles were I PPed stalled them out and had a +6 Cloyster blasting

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
The Tournament just ended. I ended with a rating of 1475 (not bad for a mostly non EV-Trained Team) though it might have gotten a good boost do to me squeezing 2 more matches in and winning both and the second guy having a higher rating. If anyone wants to see my last match the battle video number is: 82-69450-08660 Edit: My 2012 Spring Friendly Team: :612::573:;419;;134;:571:;282;

Last edited:

jstinftw!

hey trainer
Darn it. I was planning on getting in a few more battles today, despite risking breaking my 1600.

But yeah, 18 battles in and a score of 1630. Not so... Impressive. Good enough score, but the battles don't add up. To be fair though, I got 10 Rage Quits in a row, and even more later on. I really pissed a lot of people off I guess.

Overall, a pretty good tournament. Sure, more rage quitters in this tournament than I've ever faced in my life, but still really cool. I agree with Marbi-Z; the cookie-cutter Smogon/Skarmbliss standard teams were not as rampant throughout the tournament. Sure, I still faced a lot of Zaptop, and even more Intimitops that I would have liked, but I still saw a lot of really cool strategies.

Someone pulled an interesting Gallade+Drapion lead on me, and, despite having really no synergy, it seemed to be a pretty cool idea. I just loved seeing an array of Pokemon this time around. It made it seem more real to me, like i was actually facing people as opposed to drones.

My Trick Room Team (the same that I've been using since the beginning) did pretty well. I countered some pretty standard threats, although if I didn't play smart, I did falter. I learned some new things, like how I need to put a Wide Lens on my Rhyperior because he only has moves with less that 90% accuracy. Lum Berry was useful, but not as. Also, I think my Bulk Up+Drain Punch Scrafty is kind of... Overrated. Sure, the extra health came in handy, but High Jump Kick probably would have been more beneficial.

I really hope that they do a Summer thing like this.

The Team!
593.png
031.png
560.png
233.png
212.png
464.png

|S. Holmes|Elizabeth|Cpt.Undrpnts|Macbook|Tony Stark|Hyperion|

Anyways, the registrations for my podcast's Wi-Fi Tournament, the StriatonChallenge, which will be running the same rules as the Spring Friendly, ends tomorrow! If you had fun with this tournament, and you want more, sign up! Links are in my signature. :)

Last edited:

zozo

SLIMED!
Marbi Z said:
You would think that these tournaments would have mostly smogon competitive teams but that just hasn't been the case in these wifi tournaments. To tell you the truth I'm stunned. But hey! It's great to see more people being creative with there teams! Now if I can only see more of this in Random Match...

jstinftw! said:
I agree with Marbi-Z; the cookie-cutter Smogon/Skarmbliss standard teams were not as rampant throughout the tournament. Sure, I still faced a lot of Zaptop, and even more Intimitops that I would have liked, but I still saw a lot of really cool strategies.

Personally, I thought that the last tournament was a lot more creative. This tournament, the last three or four battles in particular felt like I was fighting the same person. I had to look several times to see that there were, in fact, one or two different pokemon from other battles. Garchomp, Tyranitar, Metagross, and Hitmontop were starting to get especially repetitive. Dang, I wish I'd gotten the chance to face more of the non-standard teams. XD My own fault for not participating in more battles though I suppose. :)

Overall, I think my Toxic Stall team from last tournament worked out better than the team I'm using now. But I am satisfied with how my individual pokes did. Here's my team for whoever's bored enough to read about it interested:
Enigma the :561: - Holding the Life Orb, I was amazed at the damage this guy did. Absolutely happy with him, and I'll definitely use him again
Duelhorn the ;472; - I used him in the last tournament too, and he was just as solid now as he was then.
Truffle the :591: - I was mind-blown by how useful he was. I really didn't expect him to turn out as good as he did. I only wish I saw him work under Trick Room more often than I did, as that would have increased Spore's effectiveness.
Berry Pie the ;463; - He was lots of fun to use, but unfortunately people seemed to be correctly predicting him almost every time, so he functioned more to scare away weather teams than he did to screw them over. But still, his unorthodox moveset of Surf, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower and Protect came in very handy more than once. If I decide that I absolutely need Cloud Nine again, I may try to find a way to make Golduck a useful member of the team, just so people won't be as easily able to predict what I'm using it for.
Freya the :560: - I know I was moaning about how crappy she was earlier, but seeing her Taunt Cresselia and Amoonguss into uselessness was pretty heartwarming. And her investment in Sp.Def, which I thought was a mistake at first, did end up paying off in the end too. Again, I should have been using Trick Room better to give her full advantage. Just didn't happen though. The other thing I noticed is that I expected people to target her far more than they did. Her wasted Protects probably cost me battles.
Raem the :593: - "Needs improvement" is something of an understatement. I got screwed over so many times trying to set up Trick Room for such a crappy payoff that I eventually abandoned the attempt in favour of starting out with my Sigilyph/Amoonguss combo. Of all the members on my team, this would be my most likely one to be dropped or be majorly overhauled. Sigilyph/Amoonguss proved to be so much more effective that I'd rather invest in supporting them than in trying to make Trick Room work better. I just didn't see much payoff for Trick Room. Maybe if I watch some vids of people who were successful at exploiting it I'll be converted. :p But as things stand, I was disappointed.

So I guess the biggest thing I learned in this tournament is that I'm simply better at using slower teams than I am at trying to keep up with the fast pace that most other players prefer. I don't know why that is so, but there it is.

The second biggest thing I learned is that slapping King's Rock on a Metagross is a surefire way to make put me into a dangerously bad mood. :p I'm just happy I trolled that guy's sleep tactic with Freya's Shed Skin. >:-]

Last edited:

Viv

Master Tactician
Finished with 1893. I'm pretty sure I battled the guy who won this thing (if first place has a VGC in his name, then I saw his team; he had like 2050 rating when I battled him).

Silvershark

HAWLUCHA!!!
Total battles: 89
Rating: 1781
W/65 L/14 Disconnections: 10

Kept fighting till the end of the competition, unfortunately hardly anybody else was battling at that point. I peaked at 1787 after recovering from a heavy loss, before dropping back down to the 1750's after another loss. Now if the two of the high rated people I beat today (easily I might add) had let me keep my wins, I likely would have reached my goal of 1800, but alas it was not to be. Fortunately though I did have some exciting last battles, had a few that were video worthy, and outdid my International Challenge rating, so it's all good.

92-08553-13384
63-77567-84057
40-65423-34975

As I said, I stuck with my team from the last competition:

198.gif

Caractacus

639.gif

Terrak

186f.gif

Dewdrop

149.gif

Tempesa

479-mow.gif

Glitch

212.gif

SCIZOR

They did pretty good, I won about 5/6 of my battles. Still nothing I would change, but I did notice a shift in the teams I was fighting. There were a lot more Dragonites, Scizors, and Thundurus's with Psychic out there; and surprisingly fewer Lati@s's, Salamences, Cresselias, and even Trick Room teams. There weren't even as many Hitmontops as I was used to seeing. Still roughly the same number of Zapdos's and Metagross's giving me grief though.

@ Viv: I think I may have battled you at some point, or at least a trainer named Viv. Were you using a team with a Raichu, Dragonite, Scrafty, and Gengar?

GreenPepper

Anomalous
I did 25 battles, and my rating is 1390. I won about 10, but half of the people I beat turned off so it didn't count as a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.