• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Spring Friendly; a Pokemon Wi-Fi Tournament

Will you be participating?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
I don't know if I'm allowed to make this instead of a mod, but I just refreshed my twitter feed and I saw the news. And I'm excited about it.

news_top_pgl_spring_friendly_en.jpg

Originally tweeted by Serebii

Serebii Update: Spring Friendly International WiFi Tournament Announced. Registration begins on May 2 Tournament May 10 serebii.net/index2.shtml

And then on the main site

Originally posted by Serebii

In The Games Department
Pokémon Black & White - Spring Friendly
For those with the International games, the new WiFi tournament, the Spring Friendly, has been announced. This WiFi tournament is another tournament which runs the same rules as the previous ones. It contains players from everywhere other than Japan and Korea. Registration opens up at 00:00 UTC on May 2nd and lasts until 23:59 on May 9th with the tournament running from May 10th through to May 14th

A tournament that we can all take place in from the convenience of our own homes. I guess rules would probably be something important, so I'll include those. For those familiar, they are exactly the same as the rules for the 2012 VGC Tournament.

Standard Format Style
All sanctioned Pokémon video game tournaments require players to assemble a team of Pokémon, with items,
prior to the start of the event. The standard format style for all PLAY! Pokémon tournaments is Double Battle.

5.1. Double Battle
In Double Battles, each player selects four Pokémon from his or her party of six to battle with. At the
start of the battle, players send out the first two Pokémon in their party, making a total of four Pokémon
on the battlefield. Game play continues until a player knocks out all four of his or her opponent’s
Pokémon.
6. Standard Team Construction Rules
When building a team for a PLAY! Pokémon tournament, all players must adhere to these standard construction
rules.
A player’s team cannot contain two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number
Each Pokémon on a player’s team can hold an item, though no two Pokémon may hold the same item
A player’s team cannot contain two Pokémon with the same nickname
A player’s team cannot contain a Pokémon nicknamed with the name of another Pokémon (for example,
an Unfezant named “Pidove”)
Pokémon may only use moves that have been learned through one of the following methods:
o By leveling up
o By TM or HM
o As an Egg move, through breeding
o From a character in the game
o A move already known by a Pokémon received at an official Pokémon event or promotion

The Modified format is the standard tournament format for PLAY! Pokémon video game events. This format will be used at all premier events unless specified otherwise. The Modified format for the 2011–2012 season will use the following restrictions:
Only Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version Game Cards are permitted for use.
Players may use Pokémon from the National Pokédex, from No. 001–646, that are caught in the
game, transferred from a previous Pokémon title, or received at an official event or distribution
The following Pokémon may not be on a player’s team:
o 150 – Mewtwo
o 151 – Mew
o 249 – Lugia
o 250 – Ho-Oh
o 251 – Celebi
o 382 – Kyogre
o 383 – Groudon
o 384 – Rayquaza
o 385 – Jirachi
o 386 – Deoxys
o 483 – Dialga
o 484 – Palkia
o 487 – Giratina
o 489 – Phione
o 490 – Manaphy
o 491 – Darkrai
o 492 – Shaymin
o 493 – Arceus
o 494 – Victini
o 643 – Reshiram
o 644 – Zekrom
o 646 – Kyurem
Pokémon must be placed in the Battle Box.
Pokémon above level 50 are permitted, but they are auto-leveled down to 50 for the duration of battle.
Players may use Pokémon with Hidden Abilities that have been officially released via Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version, the Pokémon Global Link, or an official event or promotion.
Pokémon may not know the moves Sky Drop or Dark Void.
The Wonder Launcher cannot be used during battle.
Source.

---------------------------------------

I'm probably screwing myself over by saying this, but I figure most people will not be very familiar with the Double Battle Format. If you noticed, there are no tiers. This isn't a Smogon-run tournament, which means there will be a huge difference between what most Competitive Players are used to, along with the fact that there is a big difference between Singles and Doubles.

If you plan on entering, might I suggest taking a look into VGC-style battling. It's the best practice for Double Battles in this format, since a lot of the main threats will probably carry over. :) If you have any particular questions, you should definitely ask.

Last edited:

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
I'm just gonna use the same team I've used throughout Pokemon Black and hopefully have fun. ^^

Silvershark

HAWLUCHA!!!
I'll be sticking with the team I used in the last wifi competition myself. Now for the first question that popped in my head when I heard about this: "Why no Winter Friendly Nintendo?"

Soperman

The One and Only
I should probably start training a real team, huh...
Oh well. I might not enter anyway ^^'

jstinftw!

hey trainer
Hopefully, this won't be as big a mess as the Autumn Unfriendly.
The 2012 International Challenge wasn't so bad. There were rage-quitters, sure, but it wasn't as bad as the Autumn Friendly. :)

I'll be sticking with the team I used in the last wifi competition myself. Now for the first question that popped in my head when I heard about this: "Why no Winter Friendly Nintendo?"
Hahaha! Winter is not friendly, that's why. XD

I should probably start training a real team, huh...
Oh well. I might not enter anyway ^^'
Hahah yeah. It seems that this whole Wi-Fi tourney thing is going to actually be a thing. Having a team for it could be useful. XD But if you don't enter ,it's pointless so. haha

Zachmac

Chances are I'll slack off on breeding the team again, but if I do end up getting myself back into pokemon breeding, I'm definitely entering.

I'll probably get the new Kid Icarus game as soon as I get school work out of the way anyways....

jstinftw!

hey trainer
Missed the last tournament, not missing this one.
Nice! VGC Style tournaments are somewhat of a rarity, so I think everyone interested should definitely try it. :)

Chances are I'll slack off on breeding the team again, but if I do end up getting myself back into pokemon breeding, I'm definitely entering.

I'll probably get the new Kid Icarus game as soon as I get school work out of the way anyways....
Psssshhh... Pokemon > Kid Icarus. :mad: jk, haha.

But yeah, I totally forgot that you were actually pretty active in the Autumn Friendly! Hopefully you do join (again, I get excited for people who are joining. haha)!

32er

TM87? I got TM32 :]
This is great for people like me who don't have the time to go to real VGCs :]
Definitely participating.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
This is great for people like me who don't have the time to go to real VGCs :]
Definitely participating.
Same! Exact same reason why I get hyped about these tournaments (and why my podcast will run a tournament using VGC rules afterwards).

By the way, for those who need more Pokemon in their lives and are either bored or have lots of time, Episode 20: Renee the Ursaring of my podcast, StriatonRadio, and Episode 76: No Lemon, No Melon of The Pokemon Podcast: It's Super Effective talk about Double Battles and VGCs, so if you need some tips on Double Battles as well, these could be good listens. :)

Zachmac

Psssshhh... Pokemon > Kid Icarus. :mad: jk, haha.

But yeah, I totally forgot that you were actually pretty active in the Autumn Friendly! Hopefully you do join (again, I get excited for people who are joining. haha)!
Something happened to my 3DS charger. :/ Now I can't breed the pokemon myself until I get a new one.

....But I could get desperate and offer IOU's to people who are willing to breed for me.

shrek

I've just registered for this, so hopefully it'll be alright. Skipped the last wi-fi tourney, part out of lack of time and partly due to Autumn Friendly woes.
Now, just to come up with a team ha

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I'll participate for fun (not a huge double battler). I need to get started on EV training though.

Frozen Ghost

I participate in these things for fun, and for experience if I ever manage to get good enough for the actual 'live' VGC tournaments.
I hope there aren't as many rage-quitters this time, or none at all; half my total battle count in the 2012 International Challenge were lost to those people...

Last edited:

jwla

I entered, which is something I wouldn't normally do because I am not much for competitive battling. I am using my current in-game team. It's not my original White team, but one I am comfortable battling with. Hopefully it will be fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.