• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sprite comparison for old pokemon

Zoramon089

Rising Trainer
Just like I did with the trainer, I did a sprite comparison for some old gen pokemon shown. You don't know the jump in colors from R/S/E to D/P until you see them side by side...

compspn1.png

comper5bsxk3.png

comp36onzx2.png

comperdq5.png

watercompmb3.png

Blown up character sprites

compoz8.png

sprites23id.png

A full respriting of a city!

comp7aj.png

Last edited:

Neoriceisgood

Better than thou
Holy macarony plant on a stick! Once these games are out and a runnin'I gonna enjoy spriting in that style,

The style appears to allow sizes greater than 64x64 (Scizzor looks 74x64 that's nice) and extra colours, which makes it easier to make better looking sprites.

I do wonder how many sprite artists they put onthe pokémon games, considering every pokémon needs a pokédex sprite, icon, back sprite; gender and female sprites (Although one is a recolour and the other a minor modification, I do believe they can be done within minutes.)

Seviper

New Scizor is awesome
New Butterfree is cooler than the old ones
but I preffer R/S Wooper than the new one

Musical Mayhem

~Simple and Clean~
I think new Sciscor's head is too long. It just looks weird to me. Other then that they're awesome! I"m gonna love this game!

FireHead Hank

Matt Fanboy
I love the Scizor sprite, it looks so cool. The Wooper sprite doesnt look different at all(except the mouth), but we cant expect every D/P sprite to be as awesome as the Scizor one.

M

Mystic Dark Kirby

Meh, not exactly that much of a leap at all. The DS can do better than that.

Zoramon089

Rising Trainer
In terms of 2d? How much more better is possible? Look at 2d art in other 2d DS games,sprites really aren't that much better

M

Mystic Dark Kirby

You're right - but that doesn't mean the sprites couldn't be better. Not a single game has pushed the hardware to it's limits yet.

But whatever, I'm satisfied with what we've seen so far.

Musical Mayhem

~Simple and Clean~
The male and female thing makes me happy. It's just like lions and moose. Moose are cool.

Trooper Guy

Lost in history...
poke_fan_12 said:
They look pretty simelar, I'm glad that there are male and female sprites
Me too, as it gives them more individual aspects (if that's the word), imo.

I see pokemon have come along way since their Green, Red and Blue ancestors, lol.

Dark_Force

Hey, I got an idea - wait until clearer, non-scan images are revealed then improve your comparison - and add male and female for dp section.

~DF~

Shinin

Minimalist
The Wooper sprite for D/P seems like it doesn't have as good shading, though it may be because it's zoomed in, unlike the Scizor and Butterfree sprites.

kyledove

Rainbow Trainer
Neoriceisgood said:
Holy macarony plant on a stick! Once these games are out and a runnin'I gonna enjoy spriting in that style,

The style appears to allow sizes greater than 64x64 (Scizzor looks 74x64 that's nice) and extra colours, which makes it easier to make better looking sprites.

I do wonder how many sprite artists they put onthe pokémon games, considering every pokémon needs a pokédex sprite, icon, back sprite; gender and female sprites (Although one is a recolour and the other a minor modification, I do believe they can be done within minutes.)

They arent bigger I dont think, its just the scan size.

I agree, the sprite for wooper isnt done very well, it looks as if the outline is all black and there are only two shades and no lighter blue shade to round out his head. Do you think they might be changing style? it looks like an easier (although kinda clean and cute) style.

SuperSonic

I think the sprites are better than r/s. I can't place whats different, but they just look so much better.

meta-master

The name says it all
the scizor and buterfree sprites look awsome :)

◘Ins0mnIac◘

Supreme Overlord
Scizor is solid but the Butterfree one looks outstanding to me. Certainly the best I have seen.

Gridiron

I think they're a lot better, even from R/S/E/Fr/Lg. The D/P sprites seem to have better blended colors, and more unique shapes. They also don't seem so 2-D to me.