1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Spriter of the Year Tournament 2010

Discussion in 'Fan Sprites' started by noobiess, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noobiess

noobiess 6 different pokemon Staff Member Moderator

SYT 2010
    [​IMG]

An ambitious spriter, an expert in art looking for a new challenge
    or just discovered the magical world of pixels?
    Everybody can have a place in this tournament.

Welcome, this is the Spriter of the Year Tournament 2010 or the SYT 2010
    With a little tutorial of each round, every spriter has the opportunity
    to participate without any problem.
    The explosion of new talent will give this tournament a great push
    in the back which will lead into surprisingly beautiful entries and extremely strong new competition.
    That in combination with a lot of experienced artist,
    this tournament will be certainly end in a heated battle
    for the title of Spriter of the Year.

So how do I enter?​
    Got the spriting-vibes? Better participate soon then. You can just post it on this thread, it’s that easy.
    But that isn’t all. Of course you have to send an entry too.
    This you can do by PMing me with the entry, so you don’t have to post it in the thread.
    If your mind isn’t where it supposed to be and you posted your entry in the thread, you can just delete the post and send the entry to me.
    I will personally check whether you have kept it to the rules, wich you can find below and I will contact you as soon as possible if you didn’t. You can just send your new entry back to me and I’ll take care of it.

Don’t have much time or accidently deleted your entry?
    Don’t worry, if you send your entry too late, you name will be in the poll but there will be no entry visible until you send it.
    Make sure that if you are too late with your entry the first round, you say you’ll participate the tournament on the thread itself so that I know you’re participating.

How does this tournament work?​
    There are several round wherein you always have to send one sprite to me.
    The amount of round will depend of the amount of participants.
    After each round there will be a poll findable on the ‘fan sprite’ department where you can vote.
    A few participants with the lowest votes of their poll will be eliminated from the tournament.

It would be a big shame when you just figured out how to make a nice sprite and then get eliminated. Or when you really find the next theme really funny but the round before you got didn’t make it.
    Or maybe you just had a rough week and you didn’t really feel like you got eliminated justly, then there is a solution for it.
    You can send an entry for a round after you got eliminated! What?! Then you just can wait till the finale and then enter?!
    No unfortunately you can’t. You can get try ONCE more to get back in the tournament by sending an entry for the round after you get eliminated or the round after that.
    Your entry will be in the poll, like every other entry but it will have a small disadvantage.
    If you enter the round after you got eliminated, your actual votes will only be 75% of the votes you got in the poll. If you wait one more round, it will be 50%.
    If you manage to get enough votes, even with this little disadvantage you are back in the race!

So, if you are capable of surviving it to the finals there will be one last round.
    The participant with the most votes wins the poll and the title of Spriter of the Year.
    This last poll will probably be around the beginning of January.
    But don’t worry, I’ll take it easy on the holidays so everybody can enjoy them.

Voting system​
    There will be several polls after the deadline is reached. The participants with the least voted of each poll will be eliminated.
    The amount of participants who get eliminated will be said in the poll itself.

The amount of votes you can give, will also be findable in the poll.
    You can not vote for yourself. (watch out, this rules recenlty changed)
    All there is left to say is, please vote fair, not tactical.

Ground rules​
    Some small rules so this don’t get to hectically.
    First of all, there will be no copying others work. You can use the official sprites at all time, which are easily findable on bulbapedia.
    Second of all, there will no saying foul or vulgar words on the thread or the polls and respect the other people.
    And at last, you have to stick to the rules of the theme.
    Please keep it clean.

So what can you actually win?​
    Well, you get the incredible title Spriter of the Year.
    There also would be a trophy for every contestant. This of course is only in sprite-form so you can brag a little with your friends by putting it on your signature.
    The top 3 of course will get a much bigger one, so more reason to give it your all.
    The trophy will personally be given when the contest if finished.

Themes​
    Each round has a theme that you can find here.
    Your entry is invalid when you don’t follow the rules said in the theme.
    For the deadlines, I usualy use a date (day/month) and your entry has to be in before that day ends.
    For every round there will be a little tutorial findable on this thread.
    Round1
    Deadline: 06/12
    Size: 96*96 pixels
    Recolor a Pokémon by using the colors of a Pokémon where the numbers are a anagram.
    So for example, recolor bulbasaur (nr 001) with the colors of voltorb (nr 100)
    Glows are allowed. animation aren't. You can anly use sprites from the 4th or 5th generation (you don't really have to choosep okémon from this generation, just the sprites)
    You can't use the shiny colors of the pokemon to recolor the other.

Round 2
    Deadline: 11/12
    Size: 96*96
    Usable sprites: You can only use 4/5th gen sprites (not the pokémon themselve, but the sprites)
    Take a dual-typed pokémon and fuse if with 2 pokémon that each have one type of the dual typed pokémon. The other pokémon pokémon also can be dual typed, they just need one type of the other pokemon.
    Animations and shiny colors aren't allowed.
    For example: fuse giratina (ghost/dragon) with froslass(ghost (/ice)) and Ononokuso (Dragon)

Round 3
    Deadline: 22/12
    Size: 96*96
    Theme: take a single-standed pokemon (so it doesn't have any evolutions of prevolutions) and revamp it into the style of the 5th gen. You have to revamp the gold/silver/crystal sprite (and you can use the second frame of the crystal-anymation.)
    You can use a pokémon who still was a sigle-standed pokemon in the second gen (for example gligar)
    For example: revamp a articuno
    Extra: you can't use shiny colors, animations or glows
    Round 4
    deadline: 02/01
    size: 192*96 (you can choose in wich dimention you take 192 pixels)
    theme: take a evolution line of 2 pokemon and scratch a repose of them both. You may let them interact with each other.
    For example: a scratched repose of spoink and grumpig
    Extra: use the style of 4/5th gen, you can use shiny colors and glows but you can't make an animation

round5
    deadline: 09/01
    size: 96*96
    theme: scratch a sprite of a fakemon (an invented pokemon of your own) that is the cute ledgendary (like mew,celebi,jirachi,...) It doesn't have to have a specific typing.
    Extra: you can't use glows but you can (don't have to) make an animation. This animation can have a maximum of 10 images. It has to be 4/5th gen style.

Round6 (semifinals):
    deadline: 16/01
    Theme: take an existing sprite and remove everything except the outlining. Then refill it with a whole new concept. (if the concept is'nt clear, check the tutorial)
    Example: take the lineart of a voltob and refill it as jigglypuff lookes from above (the refill doesn't have to be a real pokemon but it has to be somewhat pokémon-related)
    Extra: no glows and animations allowed

Round7 (FINALS):
    deadline: 23/01
    Theme:
    Limited color-challenge. You can only use 5 colors (diffrent shades also count as diffrent colors)(black and white included).
    With this limited amount of colors you can do anything you want, as long as is has something related with smeargle.
    So let your imagination go wild and have fun with it.
    Extra:
    It doesn't have to be a repose of smeargle, you can anything you like, for example make a huge smeargle-head or an fake evolution of smeargle...
    Glows are allowed, but mind that they also count as a color.
    Animations are also allowed as long as the total amount of colors you have used stays below the amount of colors you can use.
    (for example: when your first image has 3 colors and your second 4 (with 2 colors matching with the previous image) this counts as (3+2=)5 colors

Tutorials
    Get you sprite on the net and making it transparent
    - Open your image and make the background in 1 color that you didn’t use in the rest of your sprite (preferably light green or yellow)
    - Save it in PNG
    - Go to iaza.com
    - Upload your file and click on transparent
    - Click on the background color and upload the transparent sprite
    - Copy the link of your image
    - Click on if you Pm me (or if you want to put it into a post)
    - Copy the link there
    - (preview the post to see if you didn’t miss any spot with the background)
    - If there are any problems, just Pm me

Round1
    recolor
    Glow
    Making your backgorund white without removing outlines of your sprite

Round2
    Fusion
    Lineart
    Shading

Round3
    Revamp

Round4
    Repose

[/B]round5[/B]
    fakemon
    animations:
    - make diffrent sprites with the same size (the placement on the sprite on the image is important, so don't make 1 sprite completely left and the other one right because then your animation will be shaky)
    - make them transparent and save them as a file, soemwhere that is easy reachable
    - now go back to iaza and load the first transparized sprite
    - click on frame animation and add your other transparized sprites
    - select how many time you want your animation to repeat and how fast it should go
    - copy the link and place it where you want

[/B]round6[/B]
    inner redo

Ones without any losts:
    Northern Lights
    Cynder
    Aragonbird

People who used their call-backentry:
    Fourthbeat
    DarthVader317

Eliminated Participants who are able to do their call back-entry:
    wait 1 round:

none

Wait 2 rounds:
    none

Eliminated:
    ^^yochini^^
    Noobiess
    Light Venusaur
    pokégirlforever
    Critical0
    Proby3
    Zozo1999
    Todoserugi
    Sirhoney
    Soulfang
    Metalflygon08
    Server_crash
    Pokemon_exceeder
    Chubbs
    -Riaga-
    Allaboutthecute
    Lh_dreamer
    Charizard009
    GoldenOza
    Spherical Ice
    Cobaph
    Starmmyt
    Timmay
    Ex....
    Lucario9
    Hejthenerd
    Pokémonmazter3001
    V4lover
    .Brightside.
    sucuine lover
    Extreme floatzel
    Innocent Bystander
    Epwna is a sceptile
    Shadow Wolf 10
    Reaperneku

So that was it,
    Hopefully you will enjoy it very much
    Good luck!

In this world, everybody is one pixel,
    Let’s gather together and make some beautiful art!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. Will-powered Spriter

Will-powered Spriter Pokédex Complete!

I trust this is approved by a mod, because you haven't said so.

If it is, I'll try enter. I've neglected spriting a bit recently, so I ought to try to get back into it.

3. Epwna is a Sceptile

Epwna is a Sceptile The epic turnip king

I'm definately in. This is a good chance to improve my spriting and see if I'm good enough.

4. Lucario9

Lucario9 The Power of Aura

I'll enter, I love recolors, and I want to see how good of a spriter I am.

5. V4LOVER

V4LOVER chirp

I'm in. I haven't sprited much recently, and would love to use this as an opportunity to do so.

6. Definitely in. This is going to be fun...

Ehm... question about Round 1.
    Are we allowed to use the shiny colours or only base colours from the Pokemon we're recoloring to?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  7. noobiess

noobiess 6 different pokemon Staff Member Moderator

Only the origial color will be allowed to use. Otherwhise it won't be really clear wich pokémon you used...

8. suicune lover

suicune lover smugpig

I might as well enter too.

9. Zozo1999

Zozo1999 has left Serebii

Ill be entering!!

I'm PMing you my ntry right now

10. ReaperNeku

ReaperNeku The One and Only

sweet, will enter for sure

11. V4LOVER

V4LOVER chirp

I entered!

Hope it works ;P

12. FourthBeat

FourthBeat Magic?

Absolutely entering :) Very interesting idea with the eliminated contestants still entering, should make for some upsets!

13. Light Venusaur

Light Venusaur Konoha's FMA Ninja

I'll join also.

14. M4zz

M4zz Banned

I'm in. I'll PM you my entry later today.

15. allaboutthecute

allaboutthecute When I grow up

...Has this contest been approved?

16. Zozo1999

Zozo1999 has left Serebii

When is the Round One Poll Going Up?

17. Todoserugi

Todoserugi Never Forget

Im in. ill send my entry soon.

18. M4zz

M4zz Banned

Around December 5/6. On the first post, Noobiess states the deadline is to be on December 5th, so one can make a logical assumtion that the polls will be up around there.

19. MetalFlygon08

MetalFlygon08 Haters Gonna Hate

I'll join too.

give me a minute.

20. charizard009

charizard009 Captian Obvious...

I'm going to join!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.