• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Spriter's Lounge

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
What programs does everyone use for spriting? I have always used paint but it's a bit cumbersome, is there anything else on the market specifically for pixels?

noobiess

6 different pokemon
What programs does everyone use for spriting? I have always used paint but it's a bit cumbersome, is there anything else on the market specifically for pixels?

I usually use MS Paint, and sometimes GIMP. GIMP is a nice program because of the layers and transparency you can use. Also selecting pixels based on color is very handy for doing recolors.

Ex Extreme

Just some Random Guy
MS Paint all the way. I prefer the Windows XP version tho, the easiest to use.
I used to use Paint NET for some things like Pixel Overs, the layers thing sure helps. GIMP can replace this tho.

tm27crobat

Cave Dweller
I always use Paint.NET, I find it the easiest to use thing I've tried so far, but with more functionality than MS Paint, where there is no layer function; I use layers a lot to move bits of my sprites around for repositioning and whatnot. Unfortunately, though, my MacBook (a graduation present) won't run Paint.NET so I've been looking for a replacement, in the meantime using my parents' computers for spriting.

Bert

Untitled
I always use Paint.NET, I find it the easiest to use thing I've tried so far, but with more functionality than MS Paint, where there is no layer function; I use layers a lot to move bits of my sprites around for repositioning and whatnot. Unfortunately, though, my MacBook (a graduation present) won't run Paint.NET so I've been looking for a replacement, in the meantime using my parents' computers for spriting.

I use paintbrush on my Mac. It's about the same as MS Paint, but it does support transparency. No layers though.

PoLlOrOn

Silon Trainer

I use Photoshop CS5 for make sprites but Graphic Gale is very good program for Pixel Artist.

btw, what that h$%ll i'am here. I'm new here and I can't post image for some reason T-T.

Last edited:

Bert

Untitled
I use Photoshop CS5 for make sprites but Graphic Gale is very good program for Pixel Artist.

btw, what that h$%ll i'am here. I'm new here and I can't post image for some reason T-T.

I think you need a certain amount of posts before you can post images.

Ex Extreme

Just some Random Guy

Weird. Is it showing an error message or anything like it?
btw, the sprite in your signature is gorgeous omg

EDIT: oh wait, I've seen your dA before. Great sprites, grats.

Last edited:

noobiess

6 different pokemon

You need a small amount of posts to be able to post images here.
It is a foum-rule to prevent spam, but really ennoying for this part of the forum.
I suggest you just post a few things elsewhere and then post your images (I think you need like 10 or 15 posts).

PoLlOrOn

Silon Trainer
well, we could just chat here lel
when did you start spriting, PoLlOrOn?

Oh, sorry for the later reply. 5 years ago i start to sprite, my first sprite it is a fanart of a fangame Megaman.

Ryger Vandell

Unknown Trainer
I'm posting here cause I don't really have any ideas right now and just want some help.

I'm kinda working on a retype right now with Azumarill from Water/Fairy into Fire/Dark.The most I'm managing so far is recolouring to a 'black' colour as well as replacing the bubble background with a fire to incorporate the types. But that's the limit for what I'm able to thought of with the pokemon. Any sort of tips would be helpful. Thanks.

Bert

Untitled
I'm posting here cause I don't really have any ideas right now and just want some help.

I'm kinda working on a retype right now with Azumarill from Water/Fairy into Fire/Dark.The most I'm managing so far is recolouring to a 'black' colour as well as replacing the bubble background with a fire to incorporate the types. But that's the limit for what I'm able to thought of with the pokemon. Any sort of tips would be helpful. Thanks.

Being creative with the bubble pattern sounds like the way to go for me. Fiery patterns, turning the bubbles into kind of outlets for fire/steam, ... go wild with that. As for extra tips, I'd consider doing something with Azumarill's ears. They're cute and fluffy, and you could easily change them to be more dark-type-ish. The tail is an open invitation for change as well, but I'd keep it kinda subtle.

Bert

Untitled
Ryger Vandell and I did a collab fusion of Meganium and Registeel!

Collab1_zps59rzcjib.png

The design is mostly his, I did the technical stuff and some tweaks. We also made some different versions, but I'll post those in my thread (as he will in his, I suppose ^^).
Collabs are fun, hoping to do more of them sometime.

Also, I'll be abroad from late march 'till late april for school, so this is probably my last sprite until then. :)

noobiess

6 different pokemon
I have been thinking about making new threads with some side projects.
So here are some ideas:
- an ultimate fusion thread: where the goal is to fuse every pokémon together. This will be done by starting with fusing 2 or 3 pokémon together and other artists can add more pokémon to the fusion.
- A collab thread: since the collab between Ryger and Bert was succesfull, I thought maybe we could make a place where you can request to do collab.
- A thread to explore the further possibilities of making 3D sprites
If this receives positive criticism, I will make the thread(s).(this doens't have to be done by me, someone else could also take the initiative.)

Last edited: