• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sprites or Models?

Sprites or Models

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamer

As much as I love the sprites, especially the older ones for nostalgia reasons, the 3D models have really impressed me. Brings the Pokemon to life in a whole new way

Elfwink

At first I was like: "Nuuuuuuu! Y u change from tradition!?"

But actually now I think the models look pretty nice!

Granted, there are some things that are always going to look nicer pre-rendered; such as the backgrounds in some of the Final Fantasy games.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
I have to go with models. I kinda miss the old sprites, but there's no denying that they're just overall.... better.

WITH ONE BIG EXCEPTION. Chesnaught's in-game model is the single reason for which I initially hated this pokemon so damn much. It's just so terrible it legit scared me the first time it was leaked. It took me over a month of looking at sugi's artwork and fanarts to convince me he's actually a pretty cool pokemon disguised as a robo-chipmunk monstrosity in the game. I eventually trained one but in battle I....ugh, I just try to picture him as he's in the official art....

Prince Umbreon

Starfish and Coffee
I have to go with models. I kinda miss the old sprites, but there's no denying that they're just overall.... better.

WITH ONE BIG EXCEPTION. Chesnaught's in-game model is the single reason for which I initially hated this pokemon so damn much. It's just so terrible it legit scared me the first time it was leaked. It took me over a month of looking at sugi's artwork and fanarts to convince me he's actually a pretty cool pokemon disguised as a robo-chipmunk monstrosity in the game. I eventually trained one but in battle I....ugh, I just try to picture him as he's in the official art....

Hah, this was me when Delphox's model got leaked. I only saw a screenshot and was like, super underwhelmed and disappointed. I was seriously debating on switching to Froakie as my starter. Then I saw Sugimori's official art and it renewed my hope! Its in-game model looked so stiff and boring. Seeing it in that nimble pose from the Coro Coro scan was so relieving. Plus it's head didn't look as tiny and disproportionate... It's definitely one of the models that I hope gets an improvement in the next installment. It's only interesting animation is the one it uses for Mystical Fire imo.

Anyway... On-topic.. Both sprites and models have their own charms I think. The sprites have that everlasting nostalgia factor, and it was always cool to see every Pokemon in a new perspective in each new game. I remember when I would hear news of an upcoming game and think 'I wonder how my favorite Pokemon will look this time'. It feels like the models sorta took that simple fun out of the games.

Then again, the models were a long anticipated thing. Everyone would look at the console games like Stadium and XD and wonder when those 3D models would make it into a main handheld game. I personally love them (for the most part (*coughDelphoxcough*)) since, yes, it definitely feels more real and immersive. The fact that you could interact with them was also an awesome addition. HGSS had the interaction thing to an extent, but tbh it just doesn't compare. Moreover, transferring over older Pokemon to gen 6 and seeing them come to life like that is just amazing.

EDIT: The only general disappointment with sprites for me was Gen 5. The pixilated animations were just, so choppy. And broken. And ugh. Honestly those animations is probably what deterred me the most from getting B2W2.

Last edited:

Ditto B1tch

Models, of course. They make Pokemon seem so realistic and beautiful.

People is likely to prefer sprites only because of the nostalgia feeling, nothing more than that.

Dragon Trainer X

良い感じ!
Sprites will always be the best with the old-schoolers, but for me, the new models are very well done.

Even so, some work needs to be done so that they flow better, and perhaps some more animations to improve the visuals. Other than that, I'm more than happy with them, and getting to see my Pokémon in such a realistic perspective is an amazing experience.

-Raiga-

Well, I'm extremely caught in a hard place with this question. I initially came to serebii forums to be a spriter way back in the day(gen 3 actually), so I definitely have an affinity for it. But at the same time, I am now a 3D modeler/animator, and rarely do any spriting.

I have to go with the models personally though. Having made my own pokemon models, I have kind of my own personal appreciation for how exceptionally well crafted each and every one of them are. You can definitely tell Gamefreak wanted to wait until technology reached this point, so they never have to remodel any of the current pokemon again, every single one of these models can be reused for future games with no issues.

Also for those saying the pokemon's colors are "dull", well, they aren't. I've looked at their textures and they are true 1:1 matches with their sprite counterparts. The issue is that unlike sprites, they have light cast on them and that makes them appear duller then they really are. Either way I think they did a perfect job on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.