• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stamina

Captain Brain

Stamina The energy and strength for continuing to do something over a long period of time ; power of sustained exertion, or resistance to hardship, illness etc.

OK, now that the proper definition is set do you think stamina exists in the anime and more importantly to what extant? In the games for example so long as a Pokemon has sufficient PP/HP he/she can fight indefinably, however, in the show there appears to be an additional element beyond the ability to use energy to perform an attack or stand up. Example, in the Silver conference after the long battle battle between Charizard and Blaziken, Blaziken was not used in the subsequent battle shortly thereafter. Or in Pikachu v Reggice Reggice's energy was restored but he collapsed anyway. Was this simply a result of an overuse and thereby his stanima gave out?

Here is the question:
When I was writing this thread I did not know how one would interrupt the question. Now that it has received a few responses I can sand out some the rough edges. When it comes to the anime is there a difference between energy to perform an attack and the ability to keep going in the battle? Can one power up the other? Are they inter-dependent on one another, or are they completely separate and unrelated objects. Do trainer bonds play a key role in stamina? ;025;

Last edited:

Kenpachi

Flawless Technique
Well there is no PP in the anime, or HP, but stamina is there.

In the game, you can attack until you're out of PP and unless it
lowers your stats, it'll consistantly have the same power. Not in the
anime, a Pokemon can't use Flamethrower 10 times and fire a decent 11th
cause they're just too worn out. So IMO the anime makes attacks look more
strenuous, it isn't just tapping buttons.

Determination doesn't play a part in games, but in the anime a Pokemon can
get up from attacks they shouldn't be able to. Depending on how badly they
wanna win. So there's my answer for you, dunno if I even understood the question.

Harris73

MAIL ROOM!! NAO!!
All the real life factors that don't exist in the game such as stamina exist in the anime because the anime is based on real life. Kind of like what Kenpachi said above, in the game there's HP and PP instead of stamina. HP and PP replace stamina since it limits the amount of times you can use a certain move, and it limits how many hits you can take, just like stamina does. That's basically as far HP and PP goes but other factors such as determination are other things beyond the two game mechanics. But of course, the main point is, that since there's no HP or PP in the anime (because it doesn't exist in real life), something that does exist called stamina is the main move and health limiter.

Competitive5910

Codename:ArseusEater
Well there is no PP in the anime, or HP, but stamina is there.

In the game, you can attack until you're out of PP and unless it
lowers your stats, it'll consistantly have the same power. Not in the
anime, a Pokemon can't use Flamethrower 10 times and fire a decent 11th
cause they're just too worn out. So IMO the anime makes attacks look more
strenuous, it isn't just tapping buttons.

Determination doesn't play a part in games, but in the anime a Pokemon can
get up from attacks they shouldn't be able to. Depending on how badly they
wanna win. So there's my answer for you, dunno if I even understood the question.

In my opinion, it's all combined together. Pikachu's ability to do an iron tail, his ability to do other moves, and his ability to take hits is all interconnected into one stamina meter.

Genome

pro-SHARK WEEK
Will & Stamina are pretty much intertwined.
This is the bar of how their HP works:

Full health~~~Fainting-->Physical Limits.

The amount of endurance you have before fainting is an intangible line and most often defined by how much passion the Pokemon has. If a Pokemon does have a strong will, they always push past the point of exhaustion and continue a little more onto their physical limits were the body's condition and all the injuries it's sustained can't possibly tough it out any more and collapses regardless of its determination to go on.

A pokemon's will can be altered by external influences such as rivalries, placebo effects, and its owner's desperation.

When will is very weak, Pokemon can instantly get the swirly eyes after one thunderbolt. Like all of Pikachu's foes in the Lucario movie intro. It stems from underestimating the opponent one way or another.

Even though Regice probably still had over half of its energy left, it lost its will to fight once Pikachu tipped it over. Pikachu delve into its physical limits, Regice never dipped that below. Technically, Regice didn't go "all out." But how could it? Regis are free of emotion and any positive effect it could offer; Regice was also relatively new to Brandon, it held a very weak trainer bond. Most likely just pure domination by the king.

Captain Brain

As I scroll through the anime I notice other possible examples of stamina, like in the Bagon episode after Pikachu got a beating bet kept getting up. Is that also an example of stamina or is that trainer bond, dose that relate? As some of the above posts have suggested.

P.S. I refined the question a little bit, it should make more sense now. ;025;

Genome

pro-SHARK WEEK
Charizard has a fascinating story in all of this. There is no doubt Blastoise pushed him past the fainting point, but just barely, it received little serious injury and it was able to go on to fight Blaziken. Overnight rest is enough recovery when you simply faint, the further you push past that, the more critical your condition gets as the damage piles up. But the match didn't come that close, Charizard never sustained grave injuries, otherwise it would have impacted his next performance. Don't get me wrong, it still went in with a disadvantage remaining a bit sore for its next match, perhaps enough so be the key difference? Now Blaziken was physically slammed around the arena and took more hits than Blastoise ever gave Charizard, it was gravely injured. Blaziken needed more than a night to recover its good shape, thus it cost Harrison the next match he pitted it against.

Some pokemon are completely free of external influences(the trainers, etc) and it's usually wild pokemon. You could suggest a trainer's pokemon on a desert island, but too often use their happy relationship memories to keep them going.

Wild Chikorita had a pretty amazing fire burning inside of it that kept it from surrendering to even Charizard. Chikorita continued until its body became reached the critical condition and it couldn't keep up the struggle, it had to be taken to the Pokemon Center.

Also, you might wonder where 'in a pinch' abilities are in all of this. As you'd expect, they come past the typical fainting point and right before your physical limits. Although the show has seen a lot of tough Scizor, none of them has been so tough that they could push past exhaustion and active Swarm. There has usually been a character around to tell us the Scizor trainer isn't quite ready to take it to Ash's level.

Last edited:

Alloute

Not Banned
If the Pokemon and the trainer are very attached emotionally, then yes, bonds determine the stamina.

Vernikova

Champion
Stamina is most certainly in the anime. Staravia in the Ash's battle against Maylene ran out of stamina from using Brave Bird too much during the battle. There are also a lot of battles where Pikachu runs out of stamina and uses his will power to continue such as against Brandon's Regice as well as against Roark's Onix.

OBSESSED WITH PKNM

I'M BACK...MISS ME?
it just depends on how much trust the trainer and the pknm have, like how as everyone says that you need to have a strong bond in order to have your pknm feel that it can go on farther for it's trainer.

it also depends on how much or how hard you push your pknm, if the pknm is recovering, chances are that as does anyone else that is just out of recovery, that they arn't fully up to par with all of theyr energy and power, since they used most of theyr power to recover faster.

heath isn't even a factor in the anime, it's all about will-power and how far you are willing to push yourself in order to achive your goals...

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the almighty Swellow yet.

because swellow's got Guts G!!!

armorknight

Stamina exists in the anime but not as a concrete concept. Stamina and other fundamental attributes such as attack power seem to be an extension of willpower, and their levels are mainly determined by the situation and the writers' whims. The star pokemon of a particular battle tend to receive DEM-induced stamina boosts, and the others are usually KO'd faster.