• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

stand alone Pokemon

Ditto B1tch

Stand Alone Pokemon - the way Pokemons with no evolutions are named (ex.: Farfetch'd, Ditto, Lapras). Many Pokemons were stand alone in a previous generation and thanks to the design of a new stage, are no longer stand alone Pokemons (ex.: Electabuzz, Magby, Jynx).

The question of the thread is... is it just me or anyone else also thinks that stand alone Pokemons were most common in the initial generations? Most specifically Gen I and II.

Anyone else also thinks that most of the current new Pokemons (since Gen III) are usually given an evo or a pre evolution in the same generation they're introduced?

And... stand alone Pokemons in this thread don't include Legendaries, because they're stand alone and probably will always be!

Last edited:

Coileach

Yeah they were defiantly more common in the early generations, personally I love stand alones and hate when they're given baby evolutions in later gens.

Chandelurefan1

I think there were a lot of stand alone Gen 5 Pokemon. Let me rollcall
Audino
Sawk
Throh
Basculin
Maractus
Sigilyph
Stunfisk
Druddigon
Bouffalant
Heatmor
Durant

Do any of these stand alone pokemon need evolutionary relatives or should they remain like that; give reasons

Hidden Power

This page would give you the factual answer that you need. http://pokemondb.net/evolution/none

Excluding Legendary, Gen III would be the one introducing the most Pokes without evolution, but then again this generation was more interested in playing around with the idea of counterparts as opposed to evolution.

Following that would be Gen V, which could be trying to follow the footstep of Gen I: introduce tons of standalones and give them pre/evolutions in later gens.

Gen II is next, with a lot of them not being very useful stats-wise.

Then we had Gen IV, which was more concerned with boosting old Pokemon (from Gen I and II) by giving them new evolutions and added few new Pokemon families.

Gen I had a quite a few, but currently has the fewest, since a lot has been updated with new evolutions in later gens.

Räven Velish

black lives matter
What I hate is, you really like a standalone Pokemon, and it gets an evolution. Then you don't like the evolution, and don't use the Pokemon
at all because you feel if you are going to use it, it should be fully evolved. Prevolutions don't matter as much, though.

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
i think stand alones are great in the gens 1 and 2, and again in 5, but it does get annoying when they add on. mabye they will make a durant and heatmor evo, who knows. if the pokemon is good, I see no problems with it.

Ah the good ol'stand alone pokemon. Mixed emotions for me on this. Some i never want to see evolve (Heracross) and some i wish had an evolution from day 1 (dunsparce). Gen five gave many uneccassary loners (new term) and some annoyed me.

Audino
Sawk
Throh
Basculin
Maractus
Sigilyph
Stunfisk
Druddigon
Bouffalant
Heatmor
Durant

Do any of these stand alone pokemon need evolutionary relatives or should they remain like that; give reasons
You forgot Emolga, Cryoganal and Alomomola of the top of my head, but ill include them any way.

Audino- I am actually quite fond of Audino. Gives lots of exp. But imagine a blissey like evo. Over 200 base hp and above average physical stats (as blissey has better special stats) and a normal/fighting type. It could be a physical brute. But i dont HATE audino, so id be alright if gen 6 left it out.

Sawk/Throh- I could see a pre evo happining like tyrogue and maybe a special attacking 'brother' being introduced. I think that would be too similar to the hitmons so idk. I dont really mind if these two get any family at all.

Basculin- It annoys the hell outta me, and i recall reading somewhere, he was included to make up for unovas lack of water pokemon (there was still a few) and to be fair, he is almost the only water pokemon you encounter. But if the sixth gen brings plenty of new fish etc. Basculin will be forgot and moaned about for years to come.

Maractus- Oh how i love Maractus. Its cool looking, but its not very useful. For some reason i think maractus deserves an evo, and i think it will get one. I dont see why they didnt get a bigger cactus and slap grass/water on it.

Sigilyph- Would be number one on my 'pokemon i wish never existed for reasons best kept to myself' list. Sigilyph is ugly. I couldnt imagine an evo for it because i dont even know what its supposed to be. Sigilyph may get an evo by someone out there.

Stunfisk- The funny thing is, Stunfisk isnt bad. He just looks quite stupid. But i can see him getting an evolution soon . And i think it will be somewhat powerful and it might steal Chinchou/Lanturns typing.

Druddigon- Hes cool. I really like druddigon. Hes up there with Heracross and Tropius with pokemon i never want to evolve. I like the idea of a stand alone dragon and hope he stays that way. Not to mention an evo would be insanely powerful.

Bouffalant- Hes pretty good anyway. He never was the tauros evo. And know he never will be. People are speculating a tauros / miltank pre evo and leaving this guy out of the equation. I think he deserves a prevo of his own.

Heatmore- Dont love him or hate him. Hes a mediocore fire type. He looks pretty complete so id say if anything, a pre evo is on the cards for heatmor.

Durant- Hes ugly, but thats why i like him. I heard some one suggest a bug/ghost giant skeletal beetle. I think that would be absolutely amazing. The future is hopefully bright for him.

Emolga- I think it will just be another pachirisu/plulse/minum but i always thought emolga had so much more, but who knows maybe it does...

Alomomola- What cruel being decided not to make Alomomola and Luvdisc family? They are extremely similar and now gf need to make pre vos or evos for both of them :( (or none at all).

Cryoganal- If i ever find a cryogonal, i will comment on this but for now a pre vo would suit him but the likelyhood is thatbhes nit gonna get one.

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
I kinda liked the stand-alone Pokémon in the 1st gen but I started disliking them after some of them got an evolution.

Golemite

Their evolutions feel somehow separate from those who originally evolved. At least for me. At least the ways of evolving are mostly pretty creative and explain why they couldn't evolve previously, so that's a plus side. For me, it still feels like Magmar shouldn't evolve. At least not into a fattie with a bazooka arm. .___. Magmar itself felt so badass and invincible in the anime back in the day!

On the other hand, it feels even more special to have a Pokémon that doesn't evolve. This is a good thing. It also rises questions such as if there's something wrong with their genetic lines or something. How come such a small percentage can NOT evolve, or are we still just lacking means to it? Maybe every Pokémon species has an incoded ability to evolve twice (even three or four times), but the means just haven't been found yet.

I'd find that distasteful since I mostly love my original stand-alones! ^_^

Guess the fifth gen "loners" are there because they know how their pre and post forms will look like, but will save them for later. (Many of them clearly look like the middle forms, so I guess the baby and full evo form are still coming for many of them.) Gives them room to introduce more new items and whatever forms to evolve and breed them.

FallBird

I love stand alone pokemon. Some of them are pretty awesome. My Stunfisk, Druddigon, and Bouffalant from my 'big' run on Black (pretty much I caught everything I saw and did a looot of grinding, trying to get familiar with new pokes, and they all topped out at 60) are all pretty awesome pokemon to have in a pinch. People whine about Stunfisk, but I think it's perfect as it is. I'll be awful sad if Stunfisk gets an evo, it's really grown on me.

Hikatoshi26

The Pikachu clones are stupid. Pachirisu, Emolga, Plusle, Minun? They're horrible. At least Pikachu can use the Light Ball and has an evolution.

Farfetch'd and Cryogonal desperately need evolutions.

I hate Cryongonal with a passion. I love Farfetch'd and me and my buddy always say it should get an evo and name it Ab-surd hehe.

I love pachrisu sure its a defensive pikachu clone but it was my special tank in Diamond and had a special (haha) place in my heart since then.

I would love for Afro buffalo to get an evo tho maybe it can be a dreadlocked bison or something.

Ti4558

I don't really like them too much since most aren't very powerful.

Enjolras

Master of the House
I really dislike Scizor. Not a big fan of Probopass either, although I never really liked Nosepass. But Scyther should have stayed stand alone.

telivisionhead

Audino
Sawk
Throh
Basculin
Maractus
Sigilyph
Stunfisk
Druddigon
Bouffalant
Heatmor
Durant

Audino doesnt need an evo or pre evo. It just wont work and would be well *Coughs* bad... not many people would use it any way.
Durant, I dont really use him to, his an ok pokemon but he doesnt really need an evo. It just well, doesnt fit in on this pokemon. I would'nt even have 1 idea about what is evo or re evo would look like. Durant is something that doesnt need an evo like many of the Unova Pokemon. I think Unova had the most stand alone pokemon though...

malcolm_n

Pokemon Collector
As others have pointed out, there are plenty of standalone pokemon. My thought is that they make sure to introduce some in each generation to keep buzz going. You might really like Audino now, just wait until gen 7 when it gets an awesome new evolution! Basically it comes down to continued popularity. IMO That's also the reason why they're bringing back things like Mewtwo with a new form.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I believe Generation I has seven standalones, Generation II has twelve, Generation III has eighteen, Generation IV has five, and Generation V has fourteen.

However, in terms of how many were introduced, there were thirteen formerly standalone Pokemon in Generation I that gained new evolutions or pre-evolutions in following Generations, nine in Generation II, and three in Generation III. This means that

Gen I introduced 20 standalones, but now only has 7
Gen II introduced 21 standalones, but now only has 12
Gen III introduced 21 standalones, but now only has 18
Gen IV introduced 5 standalones
Gen V introduced 14 standalones

In terms of which ones should get evolutions, the only ones that I think need evolutions would be Tropius, Girafarig, Carnivine, Qwilfish, Sableye, and Mawile. I'd also like to see a pre-evolution linking Scyther, Pinsir, and Heracross.

MuseHarmonia

~♥Raichu♥~
Gen three seemed to have a lot of standalones. IMO, but now I see it was true... xD
But, I also think 1st gen did too.
I hate standalones ;3;