• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Star Wars Discussion/Talk Thread

Exactly. I thought it was an extremely clever way of showcasing the two forces at play in this film.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Oh great, a girl is the main character again...... Just give Ahsoka a live action movie if you're so desperate for a female lead, she's actually cool cause she was never forced.

And I really hope that isn't Thrawn. If EU fanboys get him they'll be begging for Mara Jade next.
One of my biggest irks with Disney getting SW was how the EU was made moot. Now, while I personally haven't read anything with Thrawn, I sure do hope that it's him. It's kind of a slap in the face to all the SW fans who wrote and read the EU to erase it. Now, while I understand that even if they acknowledge the EU here, that doesn't mean that all of the EU will be added. But it's a start.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
One of my biggest irks with Disney getting SW was how the EU was made moot. Now, while I personally haven't read anything with Thrawn, I sure do hope that it's him. It's kind of a slap in the face to all the SW fans who wrote and read the EU to erase it. Now, while I understand that even if they acknowledge the EU here, that doesn't mean that all of the EU will be added. But it's a start.

They have been acknowledging the EU though, they do it semi often on Star Wars Rebels.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
except that Rey is an original character only inspired by the EU, not defined by it

Literally nothing that supports the idea that Rey's mother would be an Imperial other than the non-canon EU source you refer to.

I know that. It's just that I think the "of Imperial origin" is a good idea.

BCVM22

If the answer is "well Thrawn doesn't have to be blue," okay, but the people who keep saying "oh, it's definitely Thrawn," has anyone noticed he's, uh, not blue?

It's an ISB uniform. I don't know if some of you caught something I didn't or what, but an ISB uniform doesn't make it Thrawn.

If the answer is "well Thrawn doesn't have to be blue," okay, but the people who keep saying "oh, it's definitely Thrawn," has anyone noticed he's, uh, not blue?

It's an ISB uniform. I don't know if some of you caught something I didn't or what, but an ISB uniform doesn't make it Thrawn.

Precisely. His insignia plaque is that of Admiral/Fleet Admiral, and he's certainly a member of the ISB, hopefully an Imperial who will last longer than just one film. The cape looks majestic and Mendhalson is excellent, so I can't wait to see what he does with the character.

I think many jumped to Thrawn because he's a great character, and definitely had one of the best arcs in Legends. However, I feel if Lucasfilm were going to allow a move like this (Thrawn being reintroduced with a similar but somewhat slightly changed story), it would definitely be fan service, and that would immediately go the other way if he isn't Chiss and such. People care way more than they should about that.

The worst thing is the people attempting to argue that this is Tarkin, though. That really drives me up the wall.

Anyway, simply put, both this Imperial higher-up and the hooded figure seemingly bowing before the bacta tank/chamber are definitely the most intriguing parts of the trailer. Only eight months to go!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I don't think it's Thrawn, I just think it's a homage. As awesome as Thrawn was, the fact is that he can't fit into the current continuity without being diminished in some way

Navin

MALDREAD
I wonder who is the character in the bacta tank. Possibly Snoke? Even though there are the Imperial guards, I don't see why the Emperor would be in the bacta tank. The dark hooded character kneeling before the bacta tank could either be Vader or Palpatine.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I'd say the figure in white is a part of the moff council. We've had Tarkin, Jerjerrod, and why not add more.

White Signifies an Admiral so the most logical explanation is he is the Grand Admiral

No, insignia signifies that he's an admiral. Whether that's high, fleet or standard admiral is up in the air - the insignia is pretty universal for all three. As for Grand Admiral, that position for the Empire is yet to be made canon.

White signifies ISB.

I wonder who is the character in the bacta tank. Possibly Snoke? Even though there are the Imperial guards, I don't see why the Emperor would be in the bacta tank. The dark hooded character kneeling before the bacta tank could either be Vader or Palpatine.

Too tall to be Palpy, and he bows before no-one. Makes very little sense for Vader to be wearing a cloak.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
The worst thing is the people attempting to argue that this is Tarkin, though. That really drives me up the wall.
I'll admit, when I first saw the guy, Tarkin did pop into my head. However, I don't really think it's him, but I'm not saying I would be disappointed if it did turn out to be Tarkin.

RedJirachi

Veteran member

They're not going to reveal the backstory of the sequel series' main villain in a spin-off before Episode 8.

They're not going to reveal the backstory of the sequel series' main villain in a spin-off before Episode 8.

They wouldn't have to reveal anything, though. Having it done so that he's in a bacta tank and without any explanation other than he's an injured Force sensitive Acolyte or Inquisitor would be enough to hint at it, but not confirm his back story or the like in depth. We'll likely get something in VIII similar to the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise, where he tells Kylo about what happened to him, I hope, but it won't be in that much detail by any means. Just enough to win Kylo over somehow, or something like that.

It could be totally ambiguous. We thought we'd get the Knights of Ren explained in VII, but we didn't.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
They wouldn't have to reveal anything, though. Having it done so that he's in a bacta tank and without any explanation other than he's an injured Force sensitive Acolyte or Inquisitor would be enough to hint at it, but not confirm his back story or the like in depth. We'll likely get something in VIII similar to the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise, where he tells Kylo about what happened to him, I hope, but it won't be in that much detail by any means. Just enough to win Kylo over somehow, or something like that.

It could be totally ambiguous. We thought we'd get the Knights of Ren explained in VII, but we didn't.

It'd be awesome if the Darth Plagueis/Snoke theory is true. On another note, I'm wondering why there's such secrecy involving Yoda's background. All we know is that he became a Knight at 50, a Master at 100, and that another member of his species exists with Yaddle. We don't even know his species' name. Is there some major plot Lucas had in planning involving Yoda's origin?

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
Oh great, a girl is the main character again...... Just give Ahsoka a live action movie if you're so desperate for a female lead, she's actually cool cause she was never forced.

And I really hope that isn't Thrawn. If EU fanboys get him they'll be begging for Mara Jade next.

You got six movies with a male leads and that's just the Star Wars franchise. The hate for the female leads in the new wave of SW movies is so ridiculous. There's literally no basis for it. Get over yourself.

I'm actually kind of happy that Disney has stayed away from the already established EU. I like seeing new, fresh stories in this universe. Not to mention, if they went with anything straight from an already existing EU story, people would just complain about it anyway. They can't win either way. People complain that they don't use EU and people would complain if they did go with the EU. I doubt we'll ever see Thrawn in any of the upcoming films and I'm pretty okay with that (though as someone who loves the Chiss as a species I would love to see some of them in the canon universe eventually). People speculating Thrawn being in Rogue One is kinda like when everyone thought Kylo Ren was gonna be Revan in EP VII lmao. It's not gonna happen as much as the fanboys want it to.