• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Star Wars: The Old Republic

ricocheting

Noob Trainer
Admin
I'll gladly resurrect an old thread. For those interested The Old Republic pre-orders officially went on sale at midnight PST (July 21, 2011).

Confirmed prices:
Standard Edition - Digital (online/download): $59.99 USD
Standard Edition - Physical (from Gamestop etc): $59.99
Digital Deluxe - Digital (essentially download-only collectors edition): $79.99
Collector's Ed. - Physical (has a statue etc along with in-game stuff): $149.99

1 Month Subscription: $14.99 (£8.99/€12.99)
3 Month Subscription: $13.99 per month (one-time charge of $41.97/£25.17/€35.97)
6 Month Subscription: $12.99 per month (one-time charge of $77.94/£46.14/€65.94)

Confirmed Dates:
July 21, 2011: Official preorders went on sale
September 24, 2011: Finally got an official release date announcement
November 18, 2011: Non Disclosure Agreement for game testing is officially lifted (screenshots/video can be published by anyone)
November 25th - 28th: "Open" stress-test beta
December 15, 2011: Headstart players start going live
December 20, 2011: RELEASE DATE

More info from the official EA/Bioware/Orgin site:
Preorder Info
Release date info

Last edited:

Ísjaki

Flood Of Red
when i heard that pre-prders were on sale i pre-ordered it right away, i've been looking forward to this game for a while and now its finally coming close.

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
I'm gonna wait for the specs to come out for TOR. Don't wanna pre-order it only to find out that my comp can't handle it.

Anyways which class are you guys gonna start with? I'm gonna start off with Trooper and then move on to Jedi Knight for the light side file and Sith Warrior and Imperial Agent for the dark side file. I'm going to try all 6 but Trooper is what I'm gonna start with at the beginning.

I can already imagine the insane amounts of Jedi and Sith class players running around in the MMO. >.>^

Fenix

Tremulant
SW: KotOR being one of my favourite games ever, I will most likely end up getting this game, but I would have been infinitely happier if they just made a KotOR 3. Especially since KotOR 2 was made by Obsidian and was a buggy, unfinished and generally worse than the original game.

I'm not that big on MMO's, TOR might be my starting point? Maybe.

ricocheting

Noob Trainer
Admin
I'm gonna wait for the specs to come out for TOR. Don't wanna pre-order it only to find out that my comp can't handle it.

Anyways which class are you guys gonna start with?

The computer requirements are out:
http://www.swtor.com/preorder/faq#q209660

Still no official release date or info on how much the monthly fee will be though.

For me, I plan on playing Sith Inquisitor (healing focused) to start with. But like you, I'm probably going to end up trying most of the classes eventually.

SW: KotOR being one of my favourite games ever, I will most likely end up getting this game, but I would have been infinitely happier if they just made a KotOR 3. Especially since KotOR 2 was made by Obsidian and was a buggy, unfinished and generally worse than the original game.

From what I've heard and read I don't think you'll be disappointed content-wise in TOR. Each of the 8 classes have their own unique story, quests, and companions. They've also stated there is no overlap (even at high levels) between the republic and the sith quests (meaning you can just create a character on the other side and get completely different experience).

I was also disappointed in the last half of KotOR 2. It is very easy to tell it was horribly rushed toward the end with huge sections of the plot just missing (Atton anyone?). But we have Bioware on the case again for The Old Republic. If any company can make TOR live up to the hype and expectations, it is Bioware. REALLY REALLY glad they are in charge of development. Their Dragon Age and Mass Effect 1 & 2 are some of my favorite games from recent years.

Surfing_Pikachu

I heard somewhere that the development of this game has been the most expensive in history, and they'll likely go out of business of this doesn't sell well. Uh oh. (and no, I don't have a source. I forgot where I read it)

Fenix

Tremulant
From what I've heard and read I don't think you'll be disappointed content-wise in TOR. Each of the 8 classes have their own unique story, quests, and companions. They've also stated there is no overlap (even at high levels) between the republic and the sith quests (meaning you can just create a character on the other side and get completely different experience).

I was also disappointed in the last half of KotOR 2. It is very easy to tell it was horribly rushed toward the end with huge sections of the plot just missing (Atton anyone?). But we have Bioware on the case again for The Old Republic. If any company can make TOR live up to the hype and expectations, it is Bioware. REALLY REALLY glad they are in charge of development. Their Dragon Age and Mass Effect 1 & 2 are some of my favorite games from recent years.
I also used to think that Bioware could not fail, but after Dragon Age 2 I kind of feel skeptic about the company now. Not saying that I won't buy their games, I will get ME3 and I think it will be great, same for TOR, but a company that turns DA:O into DA2 does send negative signals.

I heard somewhere that the development of this game has been the most expensive in history, and they'll likely go out of business of this doesn't sell well. Uh oh. (and no, I don't have a source. I forgot where I read it)
Yeah I remember reading about that as well. The most expensive part, not sure I remember the "they will go out of business if TOR doesn't sell" part. Though that is unlikely. Even though TOR has to compete with a game as gargantuan as WOW, I think it will sell anyway.

ricocheting

Noob Trainer
Admin
I don't remember seeing any numbers, but I agree that the budget for this game must have been huge. I expect the game to have a HUGE launch though. A couple days ago EA announced TOR was already the fastest selling pre-order in its history (note: fastest, not largest). However, since TOR is an MMO, the true money breaks down into how many of those initial buyers they can hold onto via monthly subscriptions.

With the "fully voiced" and "story driven" marketing they are targeting a new audience which MMOs haven't traditionally appealed to. I'm honestly not sure how that type of audience will react long-term to paying a subscription fee. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Now to let a bit of my pessimistic side out: I'm really crossing my fingers hoping EA won't go with a monthly fee above $15. Although it would almost be worth it (ok, not really) just to see the drama/rage that I know would ensue.

Dread Advocate

†Stay Metal†
I heard about the budget thing too. I think this is where I heard it. While I'm sure that the cost was massive, I don't think the source (a raging ex-EA employee) this guy used is very credible.

The only thing keeping me from getting this game is the monthly subscription. Despite how much I'd love to play it, I can't afford to pay $15 a month without a steady income that is greater than how much I spend.

I started watching the Galactic Timeline last night on Youtube, and I have to say that it's much better to hear about the Great Galactic War and the events surrounding and leading up to it in Lance Henrikson's voice than to read it. One question about the timeline, though: have 13 through 19 been released?

The one thing that I can't stand is the repetition of story events and art design. For example, compare the Republic Troopers to Clone Troopers, the Sith Emperor and his throne room to Palaptine's throne room on the second Death Star and the Cloud City carbon freezing chamber, or the evolution of Star Destroyers. And what about the Battle of Bothawui? Battle of Endor anyone?

Regardless of the nerd rant above, I absolutely know I'm going to love all the lore around this game.

ricocheting

Noob Trainer
Admin
We have an official release date:
December 20, 2011 in North America source

Note that registering your preorder code will give you "Early Game Access." We still don't have an official time period on that, but most likely it means preorders will get in and be able to start playing their characters somewhere around December 18.

We also have the official subscription prices:
1 Month Subscription: $14.99 (£8.99/€12.99)
3 Month Subscription: $13.99 per month (one-time charge of $41.97/£25.17/€35.97)
6 Month Subscription: $12.99 per month (one-time charge of $77.94/£46.14/€65.94)

Gentleman Skeleton

So, who here signed up for the beta, didn't get in and are getting "the e-mails?"

Charizardfan900

Charizard King!
Hopefully, You will be able to make multiple characters like other MMOs. But my Main would be the Jedi Knight and the Sith Warrior

ricocheting

Noob Trainer
Admin
For everyone interested, there will be an openish beta toward the end of the November. The exact date has not been announced yet.

Everyone who previously signed up for beta testing (or registered their preordered) before November 11, 2011 will automatically get an invite emailed to them. If you've already registered for the beta at any point in the past, they have specifically stated DO NOT pickup and apply a beta key.

Anyone who did not register can still get into the beta by picking up a beta key for a ton of different sites giving them away: Curse NA Curse EU Massively PC Gamer Ten Ton Hammer and a bunch of other reputable sites.

[Edit] Confirmed Beta Weekend date is November 25th - 28th (Thanksgiving weekend in the US)
Official Beta Testing Weekend FAQ

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I just signed up to take part in this weekend's stress test thanks to a code from RPS. Now I’ll be able to see what the lack of fuss is about.