• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Did you pay attention to my post one bit? Evidently not.

I said Azurill is non-aquatic, as many infants of water bound species start their lives on land. Larvitar and Pupitar aren't kaiju, they're very stereotypical 'rock monsters'. On the other hand, why would Rowlet change? My whole point is that those specific designs make sense, whereas Rowlet's evidently doesn't.

Well I SAID what's the point of making Owlet a flying bird if they were going down that path? Pokemon evolve and tend to gain attributes, not lose them?

It's a discussion thread, ffs, people aren't just going to accept the possibility of your theory blindly, there's going to debate.

I was pointing out how Remoraid & Octillery, despite the radical change, lost pretty much nothing, which flying owl -> flightless owl evidently does.

Also Rowlet's kicks don't mean much, Talonflame is also said to posses strong kicks.

Yes, I did, did you?

And rabbits are aquatic? Come on this is Pokemon nothing has to make sense. Azurill could've very well been Water typed and Marill/Azumarill could've very well been Normal typed.

I've stated my reasoning as to why I think Rowlet would change, are you not reading my posts?

And Nincada evolving into Shedinja isn't losing attributes? It literally becomes a shell of what it once was. Just because it becomes flightless doesn't mean it doesn't gain any attributes either. It could very well gain armor or metallic feathers, further enhancing both it's offensive and defensive abilities.

Yeah, I get that. The issue here is I've been explaining my point and theory for pages and everyone still questions me or totally thinks the theory is garbage and has no validity, in which it does have validity.

Alright, I get your point there, but you're still being blinded by what becoming grounded could benefit the Rowlet line. Specifically better defensive and offensive abilities.

And Talonflame is a strong physical attacker. Strong kicks means strong legs, Falcons have strong legs and talons to capture prey with ease. The point here is that Ornimegalonyx had very, very strong legs. I don't see how strong kicks can't aid the point here just because a completely unrelated Pokemon is said to have strong kicks as well.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Whilst I don't think it will happen, I do admit it's an interesting theory.

But I'm hoping that GF will try to go 'wild, bestial' owl rather than Noctowl's 'calm, civilized' owl.
From the looks of it, Ruflet does act wild.

Watch it viciously spins!

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
Funnily enough i think the Mid level being more obviously grass-flying would actually help your case. At lesst then Rowlet has a reason to be grass flying (seriously it's an owlet it didn't have to fly) but on the flip side recent mid evolutions are mostly quite good (only servine comes to mind for me after gen 2) at showing what is in store for the next evolution, type (this one a bit less) stat and appearance wise.

Oh yeah, We'll for sure have a much clearer picture of what they will become when we see the first stage evolutions. But that will most probably be quite a ways off.

Sushimole

"It can also attack from a distance using the razor-sharp leaves that form part of its feathers."

This is what is said about Rowlet. It's using leaves, so why is it a poor example if all that was ever spoken about is leaves? Seems like wishful thinking to me. I don't really see a starter pokemon that starts out dual typed changing it's secondary typing. Starter lines are meant to lead up to the final form, why would they deviate in the middle?

I definitely said in my post that it was wishful thinking because i like steel types

Gohankuten

I definitely said in my post that it was wishful thinking because i like steel types

Yeah but at least the wishful thinking has a slightly plausible if stretching it a bit theory for it instead of having absolutely nothing to support it. And that is the beauty of pokemon and how much we can speculate. At least we have precedents both of level based evolutions with secondary(and even some primary) type changes in the final evolution and also of a secondary flying type being dropped for steel type though that one admittedly was a held item trade evolution but still it is at least a precedent which makes the theory at least plausible and not completely new and untrodden territory.

And rabbits are aquatic? Come on this is Pokemon nothing has to make sense. Azurill could've very well been Water typed and Marill/Azumarill could've very well been Normal typed.[/QUOTES]

This is completely off-topic. I pointed out how it gained an attribute (water living), not losing one.

I've stated my reasoning as to why I think Rowlet would change, are you not reading my posts?

Uh, yeah, I'm literally trying to counter what you're saying. It's what the whole 'lost attributes' thing is about, kinda?

And Nincada evolving into Shedinja isn't losing attributes? It literally becomes a shell of what it once was. Just because it becomes flightless doesn't mean it doesn't gain any attributes either. It could very well gain armor or metallic feathers, further enhancing both it's offensive and defensive abilities.

Nincada doesn't 'evolve' into Shedinja though. Nincada evolves into Ninjask, with its shed shell becoming a waste product. The real evolution is Nincada -> Ninjask, where it does lose an attribute, but it makes sense because it's based off of what its real animal counterpart does.

Yeah, I get that. The issue here is I've been explaining my point and theory for pages and everyone still questions me or totally thinks the theory is garbage and has no validity, in which it does have validity.

Well, they're going to question it. Don't get me wrong, it's probably one of the better theories for starter typing, not even just for this gen, but it still relies on a lot of guess work and unconfirmed fan speculation (such as prehistoric Grass-starters, where Venusaur, Torterra, and Chesnaught are ambiguously prehistoric and Serperior is extremely ambiguous in that its size says 'ancient snake' yet everything else says modern day 'snakes and skinks', both sides having valid points), so that's why I'm criticizing it. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind this one coming true, and it does have some validity, but the point of a theory is to be tempered by criticism and further theorism until it is proven true.

Alright, I get your point there, but you're still being blinded by what becoming grounded could benefit the Rowlet line. Specifically better defensive and offensive abilities.

Staying aerial has its own possible benefits, such as Speed and Offence.

And Talonflame is a strong physical attacker. Strong kicks means strong legs, Falcons have strong legs and talons to capture prey with ease. The point here is that Ornimegalonyx had very, very strong legs. I don't see how strong kicks can't aid the point here just because a completely unrelated Pokemon is said to have strong kicks as well.

I was just pointing out how Talonflame's strong kicks don't affect its type, it wasn't really related to your point :p

goodpeople25

Yes, I did, did you?

And rabbits are aquatic? Come on this is Pokemon nothing has to make sense. Azurill could've very well been Water typed and Marill/Azumarill could've very well been Normal typed.

Okay but on a different angle, azuril was made to have it's type replaced, and had no easy recourse at the time to not lose the type, but normal is replaceable hence why azuril had it. But I still don't get why you would have an Owlet (who has a built in excuse for not flying) fly if it wouldn't later. And a 2nd evo could just as easily be flightless but not steel by that point. And of coruse I get why people want steel /grass I just don't care. Keep your theory, but it's a shaky theory based on a shaky theory and has wishful thinking involved so don't except it to be seen as anything but. But again context is important and i haven't seem an example where losing a type didn't make sense at the time. I'll even give yoy another example, Skrelp, sure it loses a type but in context i don't think it helps your case at all.

Rampharos

It's incredible how this forum will fight over literally anything.
So some of you think it'd be night to have grass/steel, others think it would be night to have grass/flying. There's no actual evidence for either. We're arguing over our opinions of what would be interesting. Let's not get so aggressive about it, let's have fun with it.
This happens with every single bit of Pokemon news it's always funny.

Either way would be cool to me. I see it most likely staying grass/flying for simplicity's sake. I don't think they'd go too weird on a starter. Then again, they quite easily could.
Its earthy palette looks really nice and would certainly be done away with if steel came into it, which would be a shame. I'd love to see it keep the same palette and add a dash of colour with evolution, maybe in the form of fruit or flower considering it's part bird part tree.

As for Litten, I think its flammable fur and the description of igniting itself to shed might lend itself so being on fire in its final evolution. A smouldering cat. I can see it being fire/dark or pure fire. Though the oils and the unusual colour scheme might point to a poison-type. Warning colouration is very common among poisonous or venomous animals. If this was the case, I could see a poison-type Litten remaining rather small, as big powerful beasts don't generally have warning colouration, preferring to camouflage so as to take advantage of helpless prey.

For Popplio, pure water is very possible. Though I could see a strongman water/fighting buff seal too, making solid bubbles and throwing them around.
I have a feeling Popplio will be the slowest of the bunch with swift swim as its hidden ability (boring, I know), as it's said to be fast in the water but much slower on land. This would be interesting as if it was water/fighting it would possibly gain access to multiple priority moves to aid this. Having access to Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave and Sucker Punch would make for a decent pokemon to not know exactly which kind of cleanup moves to await (especially if it was a mixed attacker which would be fairly possible with that typing combo).

Last edited:
It's incredible how this forum will fight over literally anything.

Dude, it's a debate, it's not like me and Erron are circling each other threatening to shank the other with 3DS styluses or anything 'w'

PKMN KING

Ozymandias
If they can change an otter in to a sword wielding sea lion...they can change a circus seal into a waterpark dolphin in the last stage.
Popplio can totally become a dolphin...he already has the body. Imagine him/her with a fin and no arms and legs et voila!

I hope this isn't the case tho'.

Litten (my fave!) is totally becoming a tiger in his/her last stage. Probably a fire/dark monster. I approve!

Rowlet...is growing on me. I will probably GTS it. Better a bird starter than a regional bird in my team I guess.

If they can change an otter in to a sword wielding sea lion...they can change a circus seal into a waterpark dolphin in the last stage.
Popplio can totally become a dolphin...he already has the body. Imagine him/her with a fin and no arms and legs et voila!

Not really, sea lions and sea otters at least have a superficial resemblance to each other:

250px-Sealion052006.JPG

220px-Sea_otter_cropped.jpg

as well as other similar traits, both being in the suborder Caniformia, where as dolphins and sea lions look pretty much nothing like each other. Also dolphins are ungalates (thus making them more closely related to giraffes than they are to sea lions e-e) in the order Artiodactyla, meaning the two aren't even related until you get up to their class, Mammalia.

And I know that Remoraid -> Octillery, etc, occurs, but since it's a random Pokemon and not the marketing force of the generation, it gets away with more weirdness than Popplio could.

Attachments

• 250px-Sealion052006.JPG
    250px-Sealion052006.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 14

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Rowlet could still be a Giant Cuban Owl that can fly. Gamefreak doesn't have to pinpoint every feature of the species exactly.

Bus

Dude, it's a debate, it's not like me and Erron are circling each other threatening to shank the other with 3DS styluses or anything 'w'

You can find plenty of that on gamefaqs Smash Brothers forums.

As far as Rowlett goes, I'm imaging this fat, flightless owl as a final evolution; ending up as Grass/Psychic. Just because it would be extremely amusing to me if this adorable owl did a complete 180* and became a fat mafioso-looking Don Owl or something.

Game2016

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Not really, sea lions and sea otters at least have a superficial resemblance to each other:

250px-Sealion052006.JPG

220px-Sea_otter_cropped.jpg

as well as other similar traits, both being in the suborder Caniformia, where as dolphins and sea lions look pretty much nothing like each other. Also dolphins are ungalates (thus making them more closely related to giraffes than they are to sea lions e-e) in the order Artiodactyla, meaning the two aren't even related until you get up to their class, Mammalia.

And I know that Remoraid -> Octillery, etc, occurs, but since it's a random Pokemon and not the marketing force of the generation, it gets away with more weirdness than Popplio could.
Remoraid evolving into Octillery represents a gun changing into a tank.

Sour Monster

Another vote for Litten here. Rowlet is also a fav of mine (soooo cute & OWLS. <3 ) Buuuuut almost everyone I know wants to start with Rowlet so I'm gonna go with Litten.
I'd prefer the water starter if it didn't have the circus/clown vibe. Clowns freak me out. D: *hides from Mr. Mime*

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I really hope popplio doesnt stay mono water. There have already been 3 of those now, and samurott was so disappointing ib both design and especially with not getting the fighting type like I thought it would. Honestly I almost wouldnt even care whaat the other type was as long as the design is cool. Just please no mono water. If anything, make litten the one not to get a second type.

Shadow1275

I really hope popplio doesnt stay mono water. There have already been 3 of those now, and samurott was so disappointing ib both design and especially with not getting the fighting type like I thought it would. Honestly I almost wouldnt even care whaat the other type was as long as the design is cool. Just please no mono water. If anything, make litten the one not to get a second type.

I think it should have been a steel type. Oshawott's design has grown on me in recent years but I agree, its evolutions aren't really that impressive. Plus even if it got Water and Steel it wouldn't compare to Empoleon, its just a good all around pokemon. Empoleon looks intimidating, it has solid stats, and the Steel typing gives it a bit more meat.

Last edited:

Bus

If it sticks with that clown theme, I feel like Popplio will grow up to be a Water/Fairy clown. Though there is the chance it becomes some kind of awkward Juggling, martial Arts clown and we get Water/Fighting. If I were to place money on a bet, however, I'd side with it being Water/Fairy.

Status
Not open for further replies.