• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Master_Tyrell

I like many ideas I've read, but I really find it strange how people want a third triangle on the second typing. It really limits the ideas you can come up with since you are forcing a triangle for no reason. Really, I see no indication of Litten becoming Fire/Rock, but many people are bringing it up for the sole reason of fitting with a possible Water/Fighting.

Litten seems Fire/Dark, Pure Fire or Fire/Poison. I really can't see it with another typing unless they do a drastic change to it. With what we've gotten as description those 3 are the most fitting.

Popplio is the one I feel needs more thought since they could go various ways. I can see where the Fairy comes, I can see the whimsical possibility for the evolutions. Water/Ice seems a bit obvious so I hope they stray from it, and Water/Fighting fits better as well. Considering the hard-working aspect, we could say it gains above average strength which could make it gain Fighting. I would prefer if it is more of a lithe Fighting style though, seeing as it has elasticity. So a more slick body instead of a bigger mass would be my preference.

As for Rowlet I really see it keeping the Grass/Flying until the end. I can see where the Steel is coming but I personally don't feel it will happen. Unless it gains some light weight Steel to it, making it able to fly instead of keeping it grounded, since I personally see no benefit of gaining weight when it is, by description, a silent attacker that is also swift in movement.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
I like many ideas I've read, but I really find it strange how people want a third triangle on the second typing. It really limits the ideas you can come up with since you are forcing a triangle for no reason.

I agree 100%! When people create these guidelines and patterns, they start restricting themselves. And then sometimes people favor one starter more, and change the other twos typings to cater to the favorite ones needs. :/

Jadgirl04

Lilac Dungeoneer
I like many ideas I've read, but I really find it strange how people want a third triangle on the second typing. It really limits the ideas you can come up with since you are forcing a triangle for no reason. Really, I see no indication of Litten becoming Fire/Rock, but many people are bringing it up for the sole reason of fitting with a possible Water/Fighting.

Litten seems Fire/Dark, Pure Fire or Fire/Poison. I really can't see it with another typing unless they do a drastic change to it. With what we've gotten as description those 3 are the most fitting.

Popplio is the one I feel needs more thought since they could go various ways. I can see where the Fairy comes, I can see the whimsical possibility for the evolutions. Water/Ice seems a bit obvious so I hope they stray from it, and Water/Fighting fits better as well. Considering the hard-working aspect, we could say it gains above average strength which could make it gain Fighting. I would prefer if it is more of a lithe Fighting style though, seeing as it has elasticity. So a more slick body instead of a bigger mass would be my preference.

As for Rowlet I really see it keeping the Grass/Flying until the end. I can see where the Steel is coming but I personally don't feel it will happen. Unless it gains some light weight Steel to it, making it able to fly instead of keeping it grounded, since I personally see no benefit of gaining weight when it is, by description, a silent attacker that is also swift in movement.

Type triangles are fun and easy cause you have a starting point for what themes they could have. I totally agree that they're not a certainty, but it's also interesting to see what ideas people can come up with given a topic. =)

The region's based off of Hawaii and the whole island chain is basically a set of volcanoes; a lot of people are jumping to think of new volcano pokemon to go with it, and since the Sun legendary doesn't look like it shares that theme it's going to the next viable candidate. Yes we know there are several volcano pokemon already, but how cool would a tiger with scores of cooled lava down its back look? Or (Arceus forbid) a bipedial tiger that can shoot magma from its fists? That's part of the fun of it- we're using types we wouldn't normally pick, and coming up with interesting designs for them! Though I do agree slightly with the poison typing due to the oily fur. Manticore possibly? ;D

((Also crack typing Rowlet Grass/Ice would be brilliant: snowy owl!!))

I actually think Fire/Rock has at least some credibility (though a 4x weakness to Ground and Water won't go down well)

"When the time comes for Litten to shed its old fur, it all burns up in a glorious blaze"

If anything that's a hint at an evolution or the use of its ability Blaze, in my books.

Master_Tyrell

Type triangles are fun and easy cause you have a starting point for what themes they could have. I totally agree that they're not a certainty, but it's also interesting to see what ideas people can come up with given a topic. =)

The region's based off of Hawaii and the whole island chain is basically a set of volcanoes; a lot of people are jumping to think of new volcano pokemon to go with it, and since the Sun legendary doesn't look like it shares that theme it's going to the next viable candidate. Yes we know there are several volcano pokemon already, but how cool would a tiger with scores of cooled lava down its back look? Or (Arceus forbid) a bipedial tiger that can shoot magma from its fists? That's part of the fun of it- we're using types we wouldn't normally pick, and coming up with interesting designs for them! Though I do agree slightly with the poison typing due to the oily fur. Manticore possibly? ;D

((Also crack typing Rowlet Grass/Ice would be brilliant: snowy owl!!))

I understand wanting to make some balanced triangle, but all I see are people coming up with type combinations and then forcing other types to the rest to make the triangle viable. I feel that's too limiting, if they enjoy that then by all means speculate around that.

Hmm. A Grass/Ice Rowlet form, would be lovely!

@hydrosharp_98:

I feel the description for Litten where it sheds just brings up the quality of its fur being easily flammable, which causes that abrupt blaze when it sheds. Not sure how that fits with Fire/Rock, though (Unless that was not the point you tried to use to say Fire/Rock has some credibility).

King Shuckle

Don't be daft
Here's my expectations of Rowlet, because who can't get enough of starterbirb?

plz don't kill me ;-;

Rowlet-Grass/Flying-Whilst I don't think it's happening, Grass/Steel would also be a fun combo, but it is also my second-most expected type. Grass/Flying because the majority of dual-types stay dual-type, its aerial prowess is highlighted in its bio on the official website, and Bulbasaur, the last dual-type starter, stayed that way. Its strong kicks imply physical attack being its stronger stats, and it'll probably get access to claw moves due to owls being notorious for their strong talons. Its aerial prowess and the owl's way of predation also hints at a high speed stat. Its usage of leaves, similar to throwing knives, make me think its attacks will be along the line of:

Razor Leaf
Hone Claws (Accuracy goes very well with knife thrower)
Magical Leaf
Leaf Storm
Leaf Blade
Grass Whistle
Metal Claw
Crush Claw
Brave Bird
Acrobatics
Air Slash
Air Cutter

Wasn't it mentioned somehwhere that Rowlet had powerful kicks? Also, what about Leaf Tornado? I think it might learn that too since you got Leaf Storm up there.

UmbreonRanger

Pokemon Theorist
Verlisify has a YouTube video on how Litten could become Fire/Poison, since most toxins are flammable, and that it's fur is flammable due to it's oily nature.

John Trainer

John Trainer
I like owls but I wanna get Litten so I can name it "It's Litt" XD

Dragon Pulse

I'll admit that I wasn't the biggest fan of the new starters when I first saw them. I thought they were atrocious because they aren't what I (or we) would've expected. People are saying they're equally ugly, but they're not. They're unique. Game Freak is taking a new direction this time design-wise instead of the usual simple designs you get like with Charmander, Snivy, etc. I get the occasional thoughts where I can't pick between the three of them. For now, I am definitely sticking with Rowlet. I am hoping it becomes a badass ninja owl! It'll most likely stay Grass/Flying anyway and I am perfectly okay with that, just as long as it gets a great design.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
So the trademarks were legit all along, they were for the starters.

I always choose the Fire starter, but the cat being legit just made me fall in love with it instantly. I absolutely adore cats and Litten did not disappoint me. I love how it spikes its fur when it attacks just like how a cat would do it to look intimidating. My favourite of the three.

Rowlet is very cute, but it took a while for me to warm up to it. That said, I wanted a bird grass starter since gen 4 and I got what I wished for, now every starter type has a bird. It's very interesting how its base form is dual typed, we haven't had one of those since Bulbasaur and its funny how both of them are Grass type.

I was suspicious about the Water starter, but Popplio looks much better than I thought it'd be. I love it's smug idle animation.

This set of starters are awesome. Can't wait to see their evolutions!

Gizmoa

Verlisify has a YouTube video on how Litten could become Fire/Poison, since most toxins are flammable, and that it's fur is flammable due to it's oily nature.

That guy needs to give me my brain back... it is getting to the point where it is creepy how close stuff he posts end up being like conversations I've had with other people and what I have said.... so yeah, I haven't seen his video yet, but I had the same thought. With the descriptions alluding to a character that holds in emotions and that litten is visually based on a bomb (fuze tail, glowing red cracks as the stripes, and the sulphur symbol with a black body, btw I'm waiting for fanart of it curled up to look more like a bomb) it is hard to not start wondering. Though it may also be wishful thinking on my part since I would really like a fire/poison type to mix things up a bit.

For the overall conversation though, I am having a harder time picking than I ever have before. Part is that I don't trust evolutions to match starters anymore though. If I could freeze frame it, I would go with Litten and Rowlet would be a close second. I don't like the big nose style starter that we get one of in all the new generations, but of the ones we have gotten like that Popplio is by far the most appealing. I don't even dislike it (I hated the others), but it doesn't really speak to me either. I'm just not into the clown look, it just strikes me as meh. Be it horror, circus, mine, pokemon the clown looks is just blah to me. I do however like how Popplio moves.

In a perfect world I would see Rowlet become more reptilian as it grew, Litten simply grow into a more adult domesticated cat form similar to leopard; perhaps with a middle phenix type stage and Popplio morph into an elegant narwhal or dolphin.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

If they are going with the theory that Litten could be poison because oils are poison

Couldn't they go with that all steel pokemon are poison because metals are poison?

It's just not thinking everything through and HOPING a unique typing happens

Gizmoa

If they are going with the theory that Litten could be poison because oils are poison

Couldn't they go with that all steel pokemon are poison because metals are poison?

Well, for me I didn't get the theory from the oil description, it was from it's poisonous emotional situation combined with the sulphur symbol which is often a component of poisons and the whole bomb concept as poisonous bombs are also a thing. When I think fire-poison I think bomb. And even if it is not a poison type, I can see it learning poison moves at the very least. Especially since the poison type is treated more like acid in pokemon (translation issue? or maybe just combining of concepts) and sulfuric acid is a thing.... I should go watch his video.

Also, a kitten bomb is such a cute idea since they can overstimulate and explode into mauling your hand easily at that age.

Secondary theory/thought... what if Rowlet is grass/flying because it is going to lose the flying and become lizard like? That would be fun. No grounds to base that on beyond the lack of a non-avian reptile in the line up and that it is weird to put it on the first form.

Last edited:

Master_Tyrell

I think Poison and Steel are a bit generalized in the games. Really, Acid should clearly damage Steel yet the move does nothing to it. The idea of Poison for Litten comes from the face marks (which could be reaching, in all honesty), the combustible type of oils in his body, which could change in evolution to be more potent to the point of being poisoning (again just speculation) and also the coloration which sort of feels like those poisonous animals that have those threatening colors to let the prey know they are dangerous (also clearly opinion based since some might disagree).

But yeah, that's sort of the reasoning behind it.

PsychoIncarnate

Well, for me I didn't get the theory from the oil description, it was from it's poisonous emotional situation combined with the sulphur symbol which is often a component of poisons and the whole bomb concept as poisonous bombs are also a thing. When I think fire-poison I think bomb. And even if it is not a poison type, I can see it learning poison moves at the very least. Especially since the poison type is treated more like acid in pokemon (translation issue? or maybe just combining of concepts) and sulfuric acid is a thing.... I should go watch his video.

Also, a kitten bomb is such a cute idea since they can overstimulate and explode into mauling your hand easily at that age.

Technically it's the alchemic symbol for "Brimstone" which, while now called sulfur, symbolically is different

LeoP2008

Trainer/Coordinator
I think it's just really tough to predict their final type combos (assuming they get another type added at all) simply by looking at their first form. It's mostly taking shots in the dark at this point.

I mean, nothing about Charmander's design suggests Flying, or Torchic + Fighting, or Piplup + Steel, or Tepig + Fighting (apart from Fire/Fighting just being a running gag by that point), or Chespin + Fighting, etc.

Very true. I mean, who would even know Bulbasaur was half Poison just by looking at him/her. Likewise, even when we see some final forms, the type isn't too observable. For instance, look at Blastoise and Empoleon. Blastoise's canons would make me think he/she is part steel but nope!! Pure water. Meanwhile, Empoleon could be anything from pure Water to Water/Ice BUT he/she's part steel.

Further, look at Emboar!! I would think Fire/Dark by the look of the thing but it's Fire/Fighting

I think the only "very likely" we've got here is Rowlett in terms of type. I imagine it'll remain Grass/Flying throughout as I couldn't imagine GameFreak doing a gimmick where it removes a Starter's type mid-evolution. As for Litten and Popplio, it's a toss-up. Remember how we ALL thought Froakie was going to be Water/Flying because of its "cloud neck" but turned out to be a Water/Dark ninja?

If I had my way, in terms of surprise typing, I'd want a Fire/Ghost evolution for Litten (or Fire/Poison if we can manage some sort of Tiger/Manticore thing) and a Water/Fairy for Popplio. Both farfetch'd but what isn't in terms of speculation, right?

knightwolf09

But it's not a symbol, it's just stripes like a tabby cat's. Also poison types are usually related to pokemon that are venomous creatures or made from pollution (except Gengar which I have no clue how it relates to poison), which cats are none of. Though I agree with the bomb concept to it, but not a poisonous bomb.

LeoP2008

Trainer/Coordinator
Fell in love with Rowlet right away, but Popplio is also starting to grow on me.

The only one that doesn't appeal to me at all is Litten. Ugliest starter ever imo.

I find it kinda refreshing that Litten has this "I don't give a d@mn" look to it. Almost every Starter we've ever gotten has always appeared so happy-go-lucky excited. Like they're just happy to be there. But then we have Litten who seems like he could care less whether you were the very best like no one ever was or lost every match possible. It just wants its catnip and to be left the heck alone.

I'm looking forward to group art of all the Starters. While Charmander, Chespin, Mudkip, ect all look like they're ready to have the bestest best party ever, Litten will be over in the corner looking like "I'm just here so I don't get fined..."

Also, I know this has been said WAY too many times but did Gamefreak seriously not see the connection between naming him/her Litten when it's ability is Blaze? Its like they're asking for it to become the 4/20 mascot. I swear, if its evolution has anything to do with smoke, I'm convinced we're getting troll'd.

Last edited:

Gizmoa

But it's not a symbol, it's just stripes like a tabby cat's. Also poison types are usually related to pokemon that are venomous creatures or made from pollution (except Gengar which I have no clue how it relates to poison), which cats are none of. Though I agree with the bomb concept to it, but not a poisonous bomb.

The markings aren't right for a tabby's forehead. I picked that up really fast but wasn't sure what the change was for. I think the eye and stripes together are close enough to possibly be intentional given this fact and it made sense when someone pointed it out to me after I gave them all the other reasons I thought it was poison. I had originally thought the forehead markings were to look more like a cracked bomb. People have also noted some other alchemical symbols possibly in the other two starters so it very well could have been a thing... or people are trying too hard. I do know that Game Freak has played around with using the sulphur symbol in the past though, but I don't think it ended up on any final designs. So my original reason for suspecting poison was not dependent on the sulfur symbol at all, but was purely based on the fact that it was set up a bomb with a personality type that is sometimes called poisonous, but also sometimes called explosive so really you could dismiss all the poison references and mark them all down as just bomb or happenstance, but where is the fun in that? Really it just means there is room for it to become poison, not that it will be.

And as a side note, most of the poison plants are based on non-poisonous plants.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.