• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.

Zealot

Popplio is really growing on me. <3 I hope that its final evolution would be similar to Samurrot. Samurrot looks badass.

Bipedal? Don't you mean quadruped? Cause Litten is quadruped, not bipedal. :p
Honestly, we've never had a fully-evolved quadruped fire starter, and I'm hoping Litten will finally break that mold.

I think it doesn't matter if another type triangle is added for the starters personally. I'd be happy with Fire/Dark, Grass/Flying and Water/Fairy, or even the speculated Grass/Ground, pure Fire and Water/Fighting. Though I do admit, another generation with the Fighting sub-type added to one of the starters would be annoying. That would be 5 generations straight of the Fighting type being part of the final evolution of one of the starters. Can't stand Fighting type anymore because of that.

Y-yes. That is what I meant. I dun goofed. xD

Bakaneko makes sense for Litten as well. I'm gonna post some things from Wiki...
- "It is said to derive from a cat whose tail split into two when it grew older," and Litten's tail looks very well like it could be on the verge of splitting.
- "In Yamagata District, Hiroshima Prefecture, it is said that a cat raised for seven years or longer would kill the one that raised it. There are also many regions where when people began raising a cat, they would decide in advance for how many years they would raise it because of this superstition." "The stories of bakeneko are not only about aged cats, but are also sometimes stories of revenge against cruel humans."<-- could maybe point to fire/dark
- "In the Edo period (1603-1867), there was a folk belief that cats with long tails like snakes could bewitch people." <-- another fire/psychic? i doubt they'd use ghost...

TRG

A little late on the discussion but dismissing possible type combinations just because it might make one starter overpower the other 2 is a silly argument. In Gen 4 Infernape could outspeed and OHKO both Torterra and Empoleon with Flare Blitz/Close Combat while Gen 6's Protean Greninja can do the same to Delphox and Chesnaught with Hydro Pump/Extrasensory. Keep in mind these are all moves learned by level up, so the developers intentionally created these 2 Pokemon knowing they would have an obvious advantage over the other 2 starters. Protean in general is a crazy ability that throws the type trio balance out of the window since it allows Greninja to change types at will.

tl;dr- GF has created starters with clear advantages over their counterparts twice now which means there's no reason they won't do it again.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
... Oh wow, I never noticed Purrloin was on two feet. The way it's shown, it looks like it's on fours.

It was on all fours in gen 5. But switched to being on it's hind legs in gen 6.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
It was on all fours in gen 5. But switched to being on it's hind legs in gen 6.
It was also on its hind legs in the gen 5 anime.

It was on two legs the entire time, really, just wasn't shown in gen 5.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
It was also on its hind legs in the gen 5 anime.

It was on two legs the entire time, really, just wasn't shown in gen 5.

Ah, don't really watch the anime as much. Was talking about the games. It's just looks more natural on all fours. And evolves into a poke that is always on all fours too.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I do like to see Johto starters given to us during the story so we can counter the starter that has an advantage over our starter. That was a highlight of XY with Kanto starters. Since I be picking Rowlet for Moon, I would choose Totodile and when I am using Popplio in Sun, I would use Cyndaquil. But that is only if the Johto starters are in the game.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I do like to see Johto starters given to us during the story so we can counter the starter that has an advantage over our starter. That was a highlight of XY with Kanto starters. Since I be picking Rowlet for Moon, I would choose Totodile and when I am using Popplio in Sun, I would use Cyndaquil. But that is only if the Johto starters are in the game.

The Kanto starters were mainly implimented in XY due to the Kanto references and to easily introduce Mega Evolution. I doubt they're going to give away the Johto starters in Sun and Moon.
Plus, ORAS kinda ruined it all by giving us all the remaining starters after the Delta Episodes/League rematches.

shac

So have the starter final forms that were floating around been debunked? The ones with the archer owl, bipedal-fighter tiger and the mermaid seal?

We're actually not allowed to discuss those anymore. :c An admin got upset at the arguing. We haven't come to a solid conclusion. Majority believe they're fake.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
The Kanto starters were mainly implimented in XY due to the Kanto references and to easily introduce Mega Evolution. I doubt they're going to give away the Johto starters in Sun and Moon.
Plus, ORAS kinda ruined it all by giving us all the remaining starters after the Delta Episodes/League rematches.
If anything Lucario was the one to "easily introduce Mega Evolutions", so I wouldn't say that was the case for the Kanto starters.

I can see Johto starters these games, especially considering the gen 2 merch recently. Not to mention, they don't even have Megas yet, so it'd be a good time to introduce them now.

shac

We're actually not allowed to discuss those anymore. :c An admin got upset at the arguing. We haven't come to a solid conclusion. Majority believe they're fake.

Oh, wasnt aware. Thanks for letting me know.

Wondering what Johto starters megas could be like:
Mega Typhlosion: I am assuming will stay pure fire type. Either keep flash fire or get Sheer force.
Mega Meganium: Grass/Fairy with pixilate
Mega Feraligatr: Water/Dragon with Strong Jaw. And introduce a Dragon biting move to go with....:)

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
Oh, wasnt aware. Thanks for letting me know.

Wondering what Johto starters megas could be like:
Mega Typhlosion: I am assuming will stay pure fire type. Either keep flash fire or get Sheer force.
Mega Meganium: Grass/Fairy with pixilate
Mega Feraligatr: Water/Dragon with Strong Jaw. And introduce a Dragon biting move to go with....:)

I'd be happy with a Mega Meganium gaining the Fairy type, but I'd really like it to remain more supportive, rather than gaining an offensive ability. Friend Guard, Aroma Veil, Healer or the terrain setting abilities we've been talking about would be cool.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
If anything Lucario was the one to "easily introduce Mega Evolutions", so I wouldn't say that was the case for the Kanto starters.

I think it was a situation where they were both used for that purpose. Lucario had to be used because there was no ensuring that you still had your Kanto Starter on your team at that point, but the Kanto Starters were the easy example of Mega Evolution that you achieved yourself.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
So just by looking at the base forms, what are some progressions people would like to see for the starters? For example, Litten could become a number of cats, but how would they look? Fluffy, lithe, bulky, hairless?

"Logical but also passionate, Litten always remains coolheaded and doesn't show its emotions on the surface."

Many are predicting Litten will lose its cool as it evolves, but what if it actually becomes even more in-tune with its emotions and learns how to channel that energy appropriately despite being a fire type?

Status
Not open for further replies.