• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Because if you fleshed them out and they don't end up being the final thing, then it's basically a waste of time.

And if these are for the anime, it's quite clear that these would be the finalized concepts.

We did have early concept of Latias that looked very similar to Blaziken that was fully fleshed out and it changed appearance dramatically.

It's not a waste of time it's simply trying to find a good design, take this from someone who's been doing concepts for quite a while now. (Not officially ofc :p )

However I do admit these pieces seem to be pretty final and if they are real and anything changes, it'll likely be very minor.

Robotnikthedrap

Guys, please keep the discussion of said rumors in the general discussion thread, this has been said multiple times.

Astounding, isn't it? No matter the circumstances, each and every time the aforementioned concepts resurface on this forum, an aggressive movement is made to denounce their legitimacy. Many seek to analyze their designs, and rightfully so; they could very well impart valuable insight into the eventual themes and destinations of Rowlet, Litten, and Poplio, both artistically as well as in abstract execution. I have indicated this in many previous posts, though it continuously falls upon deaf ears to the diligent dissenters among us. I suppose it speaks rather impressively as to the unrelenting passion of our forum, for no matter how suppressed, the fierce debate continues against all odds! :D

If only we could shelve our deep, personal bias in order to approach the "concept designs" with a more open mind for the sake of discussion and analysis. After all, while dismissing these 3 figures as hoax may err on the side of reason, ignoring their themes and forms results only in ignorance.

To put these thoughts into undeviating panorama: What will everyone do if Litten actually DOES become Bipedal? Eliminating this character sheet does absolutely nothing to soften the very real possibility of such an occurrence, so I ask the query... are you prepared for this outcome?

Erron Black

The Outlaw
To put these thoughts into undeviating panorama: What will everyone do if Litten actually DOES become Bipedal? Eliminating this character sheet does absolutely nothing to soften the very real possibility of such an occurrence, so I ask the query... are you prepared for this outcome?

I honestly don't understand the whole thing behind bipedal/quadrupedal for the Fire Starter.

Just as long as it has a great design and is appealing, I'll be happy.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I think I've said it before, but I'll repeat: I highly doubt those concepts are early stage designs. IIRC, it was mentioned by GF that starters are one of the first designs completed for a generation and they have the most effort put into them, so I imagine by this point that they would have them finalized. Additionally, we know that Greninja's concepts were done (or at least close to being finished) over a year before XY hit and even before it was announced as Sakurai used them to create Greninja for Smash, so if he had enough references to do that, Greninja was probably already in the final stages at that point. Due to that, if those concepts are real, they're pretty much done at this point, I don't think they'd change much from then to now aside from some minor tweaking (if any).

I honestly don't understand the whole thing behind bipedal/quadrupedal for the Fire Starter.

I think it's more the fighting thematic with Litten3 then the bipedal thing. Granted, a lot of fans would probably be disappointed if they again forego the quadrupedal route, but they don't seem to completely shun it just for that reason. Braxien is a great example of that as it's very popular, gets a lot of promotion, and even appeared in Pokken ahead of Greninja, and that is despite the fact that it went bipedal from the quadrupedal Fennekin.

The fighting thematic however just seems to rub a lot of fans the wrong way since we've had that thematic across three different Fire Starters and it's tiresome to them, that's one of the reasons why Emboar still has such negative reception (and it does leak into the other two from time to time). They just want something different out of the starters rather then something they've seen before multiple times, and I think even if Litten still turned out to be bipedal, it may've been better received if it wasn't sending off a few red flags with its wrestler image.

Macabrelicious

So I decided to take the liberty of drawing curve lines on each of the starters' dex entries, to maybe see if it could provide insight to their evolutions. This is what I've discovered:

i4oL1IJ.png

Personal Musings
Rowlet's curved line is an upward curve. This makes me wonder if Rowlet could potentially become a long-legged burrowing type of owl creature. However, this may not be the case, as there is plenty of canvas space remaining to the right of the last Pokeball, which would be plenty big for a flying, mid-air pose.

Litten's is the least dramatic of the three starters in terms of what it may evolve into. It is similar to Rowlet's, albeit flipped vertically on the y-axis, and less steep. The spacing between the evolution spots/the Pokeballs may imply that Litten will simply become a much bigger cat, but still be relatively smaller than the other two starters' final forms.

Popplio's is by far the most intriguing and unusual of the bunch. The curvature is incredibly dynamic, implying the evolution will be quite a spectacle to be seen, a very fitting motif for our little sea lion. The line curves upwards sharply, then gradually slopes downwards for its final evo. I have a feeling Popplio's final evo will be the largest of the group, as the final Pokeball for it even bleeds into the outer frame.

Someone I discussed this image with came up with an intriguing and fitting theory for Popplio's potential evolution: the middle stage could be Popplio balancing its body on a water ball/balloon, then its final form could have Popplio balancing a water ball/balloon on its nose, like a true circus seal.

It is mentioned multiple times throughout the official site's description of Popplio and its use of water balloons simultaneously as a weapon and a show spectacle.

What does this all mean?
It doesn't confirm nor deconfirm the leaks of Popmaid and Luchalitten.
But it does provide strong evidence against them of being real.

What do you guys think?

The work you put into this observation is impressive. I hadn't even noticed this about the starter's dex displays

I don't see this as evidence against the leaked evos, though? Like, at all?

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I think I've said it before, but I'll repeat: I highly doubt those concepts are early stage designs. IIRC, it was mentioned by GF that starters are one of the first designs completed for a generation and they have the most effort put into them, so I imagine by this point that they would have them finalized. Additionally, we know that Greninja's concepts were done (or at least close to being finished) over a year before XY hit and even before it was announced as Sakurai used them to create Greninja for Smash, so if he had enough references to do that, Greninja was probably already in the final stages at that point. Due to that, if those concepts are real, they're pretty much done at this point, I don't think they'd change much from then to now aside from some minor tweaking (if any).

My thoughts exactly. If the supposed concepts are real, they're either final, or close to final. Unless for some reason something in the designs feels completely off to the artists or there's something they think needs changing, there's no need to go back and fix something as these concepts are very detailed and clean.

The only close to final concept I can remember that was totally different from the final version was that of Latias' concept that looked like it was merged together with Blaziken.

Dragon Pulse

Did we ever get confirmation on each starter's beginning moves? We knew about Leafage/Ember/Water Gun from the start, and E3 showed Popplio has Pound and Growl, and Litten has Scratch, but do we know anything else?

Popplio learnt Disarming Voice in the E3 Sun and Moon gameplay walkthrough.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
Popplio learnt Disarming Voice in the E3 Sun and Moon gameplay walkthrough.

I'm pretty sure they meant the moves it comes with when you choose a starter, not what they learn.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'

It the design is appealing and unique I'm fine with it. The problem with this "leak" is I dont find the design appealing at all. it looks like litten's head was stuck on a steroid muscle body and reminds me so much of emboar.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It the design is appealing and unique I'm fine with it. The problem with this "leak" is I dont find the design appealing at all. it looks like litten's head was stuck on a steroid muscle body and reminds me so much of emboar.

Honestly, I find the supposed Litten evolution to look ridiculous. However, I find it so ridiculous that I can't help but liking it. (Though, this is coming from someone who was a fan of Emboar)

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
Honestly, I find the supposed Litten evolution to look ridiculous. However, I find it so ridiculous that I can't help but liking it. (Though, this is coming from someone who was a fan of Emboar)

I find myself in the same boat here, especially if it does end up being Fire/Dark or Fire/Ground. It almost feels like a self aware jab at themselves for having three generations of Fire/Fighting starters.

Phantom champion Z

I find myself in the same boat here, especially if it does end up being Fire/Dark or Fire/Ground. It almost feels like a self aware jab at themselves for having three generations of Fire/Fighting starters.

i just wish that instead of making a joke about it they would actually do something different.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Though at first I didn't like it, the leaked Litten final art is actually starting to grow on me, to the point where I'd still choose Litten if it's real (unless it turns out to be Fire/Fighting).

With that said, I'd prefer a quadruped Litten evo much, much more.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

I've said this before, but I wouldn't even care if it were part Fighting. I honestly don't think it makes any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.