• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Its a lot better than chesnaught at least.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
But we already know what the real final evolution of Rowlet is like and it's ugly and wears a hoodie....it's the worst grass starter design since the gen 3 one :(
Its a lot better than chesnaught at least.

Huh, what's with the hate for Sceptile, Chesnaught, and Rowlet Hood? I really like all of those designs, and I know I'm definitely not alone. I mean, while I don't agree with it, I understand the Liften hate, but this is the first time I've heard anyone diss on the Owl with the Cowl. Oh well. I mean, I guess it doesn't matter. I'm just excited for my adventure through Alola, with my elegant Poppliovely by my side :)

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Huh, what's with the hate for Sceptile, Chesnaught, and Rowlet Hood? I really like all of those designs, and I know I'm definitely not alone. I mean, while I don't agree with it, I understand the Liften hate, but this is the first time I've heard anyone diss on the Owl with the Cowl. Oh well. I mean, I guess it doesn't matter. I'm just excited for my adventure through Alola, with my elegant Poppliovely by my side :)

No I like sceptile a lot.

This rowlet one....I think it's a cool concept but feels I guess a little too complex? There's just something off about it for me. I guess it having basically glasses, a hood, and arrows plus super long legs is just too far off what I like about rowlet. And for chesnaught, I just find it reallly ugly and I hate how it becomes really pale green.

So at most I find the concept of rowlet okay but not executed good, Popplio's is dissapointing but would look better with some minor tweaks. Litten's is just....no. So it's honestly slightly weaker than gen 5 starters were for me since I like serperior at least.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
No I like sceptile a lot.

This rowlet one....I think it's a cool concept but feels I guess a little too complex? There's just something off about it for me. I guess it having basically glasses, a hood, and arrows plus super long legs is just too far off what I like about rowlet. And for chesnaught, I just find it reallly ugly and I hate how it becomes really pale green.

So at most I find the concept of rowlet okay but not executed good, Popplio's is dissapointing but would look better with some minor tweaks. Litten's is just....no. So it's honestly slightly weaker than gen 5 starters were for me since I like serperior at least.

I didn't say you hated Sceptile. That was in response to the other quote I included from Creyk. And Chesnaught's primary color is sort of a beige-cream, with not much green, but oh well.

Still, this line up of Starters looks great to me. I especially like that it seems to be a sort of reversal of Gen 6. The theme of Kalos was beauty, but it had Starters that had a theme steeped in combat (RPG classes). A lot of Alola seems to be centered around combat (Kukui studying moves, Z-Moves, fighting Totem Pokemon to complete trials, needing to defeat a Kahuna to travel to another island, etc.), and yet its Starters are based on performers whose roles are to show off and look good (a crack shot, a wrestler, and a singer). It is a cool little switch up, if you ask me :)

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
But we already know what the real final evolution of Rowlet is like and it's ugly and wears a hoodie....it's the worst grass starter design since the gen 3 one :(

Well I think it's the best Grass Starter since Gen IV, so there.

Nodame

Misty <3
Loving Rowlet3's design, I hope it doesn't change one bit!

However I would gladly take another design for Popplio3.

I hope we get a cuter form of Rowlet 3, I like cute designs. Meganium or Serperior level of cuteness would be great.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I hope we get a cuter form of Rowlet 3, I like cute designs. Meganium or Serperior level of cuteness would be great.

I like the middle ground a lot of the time, it's why I even like greninja so much because as cool and badass it is, it still also has a cuteness in a way with how has the sleep eyes sometimes and just the way it looks when its not posing. Even charizard is sort of cute in a way to mix with being cool.

Rowlet

I'm guessing the secret Rockruff/Starters share will still have something to do with Synchro

omOCyXw.png

I'm gonna say that when Rockruff & starters use their Z-move their forms probably change similar to that of Ash-greninja

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I'm guessing the secret Rockruff/Starters share will still have something to do with Synchro

omOCyXw.png

I'm gonna say that when Rockruff & starters use their Z-move their forms probably change similar to that of Ash-greninja

How will that work though with customization? Will they always change to look the way you do everytime you change your trainer?

B. Thunder Tiger

I think the best we can hope for, at least for Litten's Evos, that these split evos are mostly Forme-based, and not really true split evos, like in the case of Poliwhirl being able to become Poiltoad or Poilwrath. I also doubt the whole "Four Forms for each starter". It just doesn't seem doable. The least I'd expect and I think is reasonable is that Litten's concept art evo has the ability to switch to a four-legged Forme with slight changes in body form, but the overall design would still match that of the concept art.

Here are some examples:
tora3_litten_final_by_puppisama-daclgi9.png
its_lit_by_ars_daemonum-dacdlga.png

Last edited:

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
How will that work though with customization? Will they always change to look the way you do everytime you change your trainer?

I still imagine that it would use your Trainer's default look as a base. With the only variable being the hair colour you select in the beginning of the game. Ash doesn't change his clothes at all, so we don't really have an example of it happening for an expanded wardrobe.

So for example, Rowlet3 Synchronizes with the female trainer. It's hood will become the sort of pinkish red her default hat its, the brown of its wings become the creamy colour her default shirt is. I feel that as you will most likely be in the default clothes by the time you get your starter, it could be explained as the starter imprints this look to memory. Like, "Oh man, it's my new best friend! :D", like how baby animals imprint on anything potentially and follow them everywhere. Only this time it's shooting off a huge attack and changing colours or something.

Erron Black

The Outlaw

omOCyXw.png

There's no connection there.

That's supposed to mimic a collar on Rockruff. Not imply it's related to Z-Moves in any special way.

The final evolutions' designs are all semi-humanoid, same with Rockruff's evo if it does indeed become a werewolf, so some sort of synchro thing could be shared between them. But I dunno, I'm a bit iffy with the idea even though I do like Ash-Greninja.

Illusio

No words, only rage
I don't think you can compare starters with the rest of the dex though...these are the keystone 'mons for every game..these are the ones that are usually highly advertised...you bringing up greninja is great since it illustrates how this sort of segregation has been occurring already among starters, eeveelutions, megas, etc...it divides fans even more (not that it's necessarily a bad thing of course)...arceus forbid that the marketers choose to favor one forme over the other three lol. You can already see how divisive the how megazard Y vs megazard X thing has been...Megazard X people say it's the superior megazard because it's a dragon while Megazard Y people call megazard X overrated (while upholding Y's "superiority in battle") out of bitterness of Y being shafted...imagine that squabbling magnified lol...

Litten1 fan: Litten1 is the best because of A, B, and C

Litten2 fan: Litten1 is overrated. Litten2 is clearly better because of X, Y, and Z

Litten3 fan: You are both wrong. Based on stats, litten3 is actually the best because of L, M, N, O, and P

Litten4 fan: (Cries in a corner because the writers only show litten4 once in the anime only to have it be one-shotted by Ash's un-evolved popplio)

It wont be literal chaos, but the forums are not going to be a happy place lol.

As you said, that's going to happen no matter what. Even among the starters the developers play favorites considering Charizard, Blaziken, and Greninja get first billing on almost everything compared to their counterparts.

However, I don't think we're getting four forms, two at most as that will be more manageable.

Edit: On the note of the Megazards though, I can understand the annoyance Y fans have. At least with examples like Blaziken or Greninja they didn't utterly destroy their counterparts and do get their share of losses, hell, even Raichu had a decent showing considering it knocked around Pikachu in its first appearance. X vs. Y was probably the most blatant example in terms of favoritism that I've ever seen in the franchise as the latter was treated horribly by comparison.

Last edited:

RzK

Meow
I think the best we can hope for, at least for Litten's Evos, that these split evos are mostly Forme-based, and not really true split evos, like in the case of Poliwhirl being able to become Poiltoad or Poilwrath. I also doubt the whole "Four Forms for each starter". It just doesn't seem doable. The least I'd expect and I think is reasonable is that Litten's concept art evo has the ability to switch to a four-legged Forme with slight changes in body form, but the overall design would still match that of the concept art.

Here are some examples:
tora3_litten_final_by_puppisama-daclgi9.png
its_lit_by_ars_daemonum-dacdlga.png

It looks LIT on all fours! Now I'm sad because I know it'll probably be on two because of the supposed Synchro thing.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
On two legs it still looks unnatural. I dont honestly want to see it quadropedal if it is literally the same design but just on all fours.

Rowlet

There's no connection there.

That's supposed to mimic a collar on Rockruff. Not imply it's related to Z-Moves in any special way.
You can't say for absolute that there isn't a connection

Rockruff's collar looks way to similar to the z-bracelet for it not to be done on purpose. Whether or not it has a deeper meaning or they just thought it'd be a nice little design choice is up for debate.

The Chinese leak said that the diamonds would act similar to mega stones but not exactly & so far it has a pretty good track record of being right. Add to the fact that it has a secret revolving around it's evolution and well you know the rest

Muddy120

Muddy Warrior
I bet the real final evolution of Rowlet is going to look great when it is officially announced. The wings would bigger to have it fly much better and it's claws/talons would be sharper than before.

I happen to like the leaked version of Rowlet's evolution quite a bit.

On two legs it still looks unnatural. I dont honestly want to see it quadropedal if it is literally the same design but just on all fours.

Yeah I don't know why Game Freak can't let one Fire Starter get quad, not sure what there thinking everytime. Why Delphox had so much hate back then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.