• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

knightwolf09

Well, assuming the design is good, then yes.

No, we know that's not the case. I just said Purugly, it's meant to be ugly! It's not supposed to have a good design! Come on now!

But you know it wouldnt turn into another purugly.

If his evolutions looked something like this would there be anyone that would dislike it?
http://img11.deviantart.net/c208/i/...oncept__by_logancure_by_logancure-da88bmb.jpg

Who's to say it wouldn't. They could if they wanted, so we should stop acting like we know what they'd come up with, and get mad when they don't match expectations, that's the main problem.

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
No, we know that's not the case. I just said Purugly, it's meant to be ugly! It's not supposed to have a good design! Come on now!

Who's to say it wouldn't. They could if they wanted, so we should stop acting like we know what they'd come up with, and get mad when they don't match expectations, that's the main problem.
Starters are meant to be the poster child of a generation, so why would they make it ugly on purpose?

yuoke

Treasure huntin'

Maybe its just me personally since I have been playing since gen 1 and all the starters essentially evolved into what most expected them to be until really gen 5.

Relax

Starters are meant to be the poster child of a generation, so why would they make it ugly on purpose?

Why would they make poplio's final evolotion extremely feminine on purpose? Even if your poplio is a male it is weird that it would evolve into that and still can call it male.

clbgolden12

Why would they make poplio's final evolotion extremely feminine on purpose? Even if your poplio is a male it is weird that it would evolve into that and still can call it male.
Because it looking extremely feminine wouldn't make it super ugly.

knightwolf09

Why wouldn't they? Cause apparently everyone thinks these forms are ugly. You catching on here? They make what they want to make, and everyone will have varying opinions. They're just doing the best they can while doing what they want to do.

Relax

Why wouldn't they? Cause apparently everyone thinks these forms are ugly. You catching on here? They make what they want to make, and everyone will have varying opinions. They're just doing the best they can while doing what they want to do.

Yes of course they are trying their best to make the best starters, but you gotta agree that poplio's final evolution(leak) is not fit for a male poplio. Maybe we got split evolution or male/female evolutions with minor changes

clbgolden12

But Litten3 wasn't made in the mindset of "Ok, let's make an ugly Pokémon", unlike Purugly, who obviously was.

knightwolf09

But Litten3 wasn't made in the mindset of "Ok, let's make an ugly Pokémon", unlike Purugly, who obviously was.

You keep missing my point bro. How many legs it stands on doesn't matter. It shouldn't even be a reason to like a pokemon. Only design alone should matter. And everyone will have varying opinions on it. End of story.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
You keep missing my point bro. How many legs it stands on doesn't matter. It shouldn't even be a reason to like a pokemon. Only design alone should matter. And everyone will have varying opinions on it. End of story.

But the starters didnt use to drastically change in evolution like this, that's why people have these expectations. This final evolution looks like litten's head stuck on a cartoon muscle man body.

HolyKey

Lore Keeper
Yes of course they are trying their best to make the best starters, but you gotta agree that poplio's final evolution(leak) is not fit for a male poplio. Maybe we got split evolution or male/female evolutions with minor changes

If there are female Machamp, male Gardevoir and male Lopunny, I think Popplio is fine.

clbgolden12

So, you're saying that if I like a Pokémon for any other reason except for its design, then I'm wrong?

Illusio

No words, only rage
I don't know about that, I've seen a good number of people who do like the design on a lot of different websites, thinking that he looks like a beast in the concept art. I've also seen a lot of hate for it, however. So, you know, not everyone is going to enjoy the same design.

Going by that Japanese election poll, Emboar was the third least popular starter, only beating out Meganium and Chesnaught.

That factors into design though, as it being bipedal and quadrupedal are a feature of the Pokemon.

Last edited:

Relax

If there are female Machamp, male Gardevoir and male Lopunny, I think Popplio is fine.

But all those pokémon are not starters, starters should be fitted for every gender or gender neutral. So you are not forced to choose between only 2 remaining starters because 1 is extremely feminine for a male pokémon. Even if you liked poplio that final evo could be a bummer for male players who wanted their MALE poplio to have a cool final evolotion

knightwolf09

But the starters didnt use to drastically change in evolution like this, that's why people have these expectations. This final evolution looks like litten's head stuck on a cartoon muscle man body.

That's your own personal dislike though. To be honest Gen 3 is where they started to break expectations, cause of Blaziken who was a drastic change. Things change, this isn't the past pokemon you used to know, so you'd think people would at least try to keep they're expectations to a minimum so they won't rage every gen.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Going by that Japanese election poll, Emboar was the third least popular starter, only beating out Meganium and Chesnaught.

That factors into design though, as it being bipedal and quadrupedal are a feature of the Pokemon.

Two of the three bottom ones are ones that have drastic design changes....not a surprise. Pretty sure delphox was pretty low too.

That's your own personal dislike though. To be honest Gen 3 is where they started to break expectations, cause of Blaziken who was a drastic change. Things change, this isn't the past pokemon you used to know, so you'd think people would at least try to keep they're expectations to a minimum so they won't rage every gen.

Blaziken....kind of but the other two were exactly what people thought. Gen 4 they were basically also what people thought.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

Obviously having more legs makes a Pokemon worse. This is why Mega Metagross, with its 8 legs, is the worse design ever.

I'm just kidding, but I do think people should be a little more open-minded. I get that they aren't the biggest fans of Liften being a biped, but look at it this way. Last Gen we got a Fire-Type that happened to be a big cat (that's an official term for the classification that includes lions, tigers, cheetahs, leopards, etc.) in the form of Pyroar, which was a quadruped. If Liften ends up being Fire/Dark, that means that the only other Pokemon that share its Type combo (the Houndour line) would be quadrupeds as well. Having El Tigre en Fuego stand upright helps to distinguish it from other similar Mons, which is really nice if you ask me. It just seems that too many people are focused on the legacy it holds as a Starter, and not enough on its predecessors in terms of design and Typing.

Muddy120

Muddy Warrior
But a good and bad design is debatable, not a fact. Saying that you should have nice designs as if you think everyone thinks they're bad is just putting words in their mouths.

I know, I was too lazy to specify but I was thinking in my of cases where all the designs feel bad to most of the fans or most of the designs do, so I was speaking hypothectially saying what if Game freak made unappealing designs that most of the fanbases dislikes whether itd be for one, two, or all. I think a common example is something like Delphox since obv it has a fanbase but the vast majority had a bad reaction and still do to a degree and dont like the design very much. I will admit people have gotten used to it and I have too but people will always remember Delphox for having that reaction and continous reaction and opinion towards its designs throughout the fanbase. So thats kind of what I meant, you obv like the design but have problems with it significantly too which makes debating it like this plausible as such. So to fix my mistake I guess I'll say here now instead of bad design which is my opinion, I'll say something like "questioned" or "controversial/debated" design to better fill that in there for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.