• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
For me I want starters that I think are really cute. (Not really that much of a competitive player) Also, I do not want to see Fire/Fighting. We have 3 of those. Starter type combos not seen before would be cool too. (We usually get those, though.)

Cutty

Forever now
I want starters based on inanimate objects like mirror, house or car.

Kai-zero

Trains All Types
I'd like some cool starters that look adorable in first stage, cool in second stage, and badass in third stage.

Fire - I want a Tiger! It keeps with the Zodiac theme: Charizard - Dragon / Typhlosion - Mouse / Blaziken - Rooster / Infernape - Monkey / Emboar - Pig / Delphox - Dog. Maybe a Dark secondary type?

Grass - I'd like an Echidna! They're cute and they could easily be made into a Grass-Type Pokémon. Not to mention they utilize electric sensitive cells to find prey so an awesome Grass/Electric Type!

Water - A Dolphin would be cool! It doesn't really matter what its secondary type is, Psychic/Poison/Fairy any would be good.

The only thing I would absolutely abhor is another Fire/Fighting starter. DO YOU HEAR ME GAMEFREAK!?! Gods and Goddesses help you if you make another Fire/Fighting Type!

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I want a change in the starter stereotypes. Grass doesn't need to be the defensive Pokemon again. We haven't even had a defensive fire starter yet. Fire types aren't great as walls but let it happen for one generation. Otherwise, make the grass type a strong offensive Pokemon that ISN'T physical.

cmats4020

Some concepts I was working with:

(Grass/Steel)
Ability: Overgrow
Hidden Ability: Permaculture - Halves the damage done by moves strong against Grass-types.

HP: 95
Attack: 90
Defense: 110
Sp. Attack: 60
Sp. Defense: 120
Speed: 60
Total: 535

Type Effectiveness:
Weak to: Fire (4x), Fighting (2x)
Immune to: Poison (0x)
Resistant to: Grass (1/4x), Dragon (1/2x), Electric (1/2x), Fairy (1/2x), Normal (1/2x), Psychic (1/2x), Rock (1/2x), Steel (1/2x), Water (1/2x)

*If this Pokémon’s ability is Permaculture, Bug, Flying and Ice is 1/2x effective, and Fire is 2x effective.

Concept: Hedgehog Cactus/Porcupine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Fire/Fairy)
Ability: Blaze
Hidden Ability: Incinerate - Causes all Normal-type moves used to become Fire-type and receive a 30% boost.

HP: 78
Attack: 60
Defense: 85
Sp. Attack: 120
Sp. Defense: 80
Speed: 112

Type Effectiveness:
Weak to: Ground (2x), Poison (2x), Rock (2x), Water (2x)
Immune to: Dragon (0x)
Resistant to: Bug (1/4x), Dark (1/2x), Fairy (1/2x), Fighting (1/2x), Fire (1/2x), Grass (1/2x), Ice (1/2x)

Concept: Ferret/Red Panda

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Water/Fighting)
Ability: Torrent
Hidden Ability: Adaptability

HP: 92
Attack: 120
Defense: 73
Sp. Attack: 60
Sp. Defense: 100
Speed: 90

Type Effectiveness:
Weak to: Electric (2x), Fairy (2x), Flying (2x), Grass (2x), Psychic (2x)
Immune to: None
Resistant to: Bug (1/2x), Dark (1/2x), Fire (1/2x), Ice (1/2x), Rock (1/2x), Steel (1/2x), Water (1/2x)

Concept: Salamander

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Grass: A cheetah would be cool. Probably have high speed and attack stats, but no secondary type. Not sure about hidden ability, though.
Fire: Would resemble kind of a dark rock with molten glowing from within it, like Magcargo's shell. Secondary type would be rock, strong defense, and hidden ability either Flame Body or Sturdy.
Water: Either a bat or elephant. Bat would be part flying, and elephant could be part fairy. Not sure about elephant's hidden ability, but the bat's could be a new ability called Nocturnal that would boost its stats during the night.

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
Honestly both Chesnaught and Delphox were truly terrible and aesethically unpleasing, among the worst designed Pokémon in the whole series. I just want starters with good designs, particularly their final stages.

As for types I don't really care, the devs love to slap the fighting type on a starter, I won't be surprised if we get a water/fighting mon this time around, although i'd love if they stop giving fighting-type to starters for a loong time. Poison deserves some spotlight, so i'd be ecstatic if they give said type to a starter, Fire/Poison would be dope (x4 weakness to ground kills it tho').

RedJirachi

Veteran member
They could do a double type triangle. Like: Grass/Steel, Water/Ground and Fire/Ice

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I'd personally want a Grass/Fighting Raptor, Fire/Fairy Unicorn and Water/Steel Buffalo Pokemon. That'd be unconventionally unique!

I really like the idea of a Grass/Fighting raptor, but I worry that it may look too much like Sceptile.. And we just had Chesnaught.. Perhaps an offensive Grass/Steel would work? Give it Metal Claw for obvious reasons. Steel Wing and Brave Bird as a hints towards it being revealed to be more like a chicken then a lizard.. Extreme Speed, Double Team, based off raptors hunting in packs? xD

Do you mean a Water Buffalo? Dunno.. Don't know about it, but who knows..

Fire/Fairy seems like a cool idea, Unicorn make sense, but we already have a Fire-type unicorn. Fire/Fairy could be Rapidash' Mega Evolution, for sure.

Considering we're adding Fairy to Fire, that gives it a way to deal with Steel-types. I'd like to see a starter gain the Poison-type, but Grass/Poison has been done and Water/Poison just isn't that good. We've also already have Ferrothorn and Empoleon.. Water/Fighting? Poliwrath, Keldeo..

Grass/Steel raptor..
Fire/Fairy tiger. Maybe something a bit more different then Arcanine.
Water/Fighting-something, a more defensive Fighting-type with a good Special, as opposed to Poliwrath. Huge HP, good Sp.D, subpar Speed, but good moves. Perhaps it can make good use of Vacuum Wave?

Honestly both Chesnaught and Delphox were truly terrible and aesethically unpleasing, among the worst designed Pokémon in the whole series. I just want starters with good designs, particularly their final stages.

As for types I don't really care, the devs love to slap the fighting type on a starter, I won't be surprised if we get a water/fighting mon this time around, although i'd love if they stop giving fighting-type to starters for a loong time. Poison deserves some spotlight, so i'd be ecstatic if they give said type to a starter, Fire/Poison would be dope (x4 weakness to ground kills it tho').

I don't think that Chesnaught looks that bad. The shiny version is definitely aesthetically pleasing. Delphox was just a letdown after Braixen..

Last edited:

Ditto24

Im possibly going to start a war with this but Id really like a Fire starter that is a true quadraped.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
The Fire starter is most likely going to be one of these: Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Snake, Horse or Goat.

Seeing as the other Chinese Zodiacs have already been taken:
- Dragon (Charmander line)
- Rat (Cyndaquil line. The whole line is based on rodents.)
- Monkey (Chimchar line)
- Pig (Tepig line)
- Dog (Fennekin line. I know it's a Fennec fox, but foxes are canine, so yeah...)

For Grass, they have ran out of reptiles, that's why we got Chespin. Who knows what we'll get. Probably another mammal.

For Water, there are still other amphibians out there. OR animals that can live in both land and water.
We've had a turtle, crocodile, mudpuppy, penguin, otter, and a frog. They can do salamanders, newts, seals, mink, or a polar bear.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Honestly, all I want is for one of the starters to gain the Dragon type. For reals and not just in Mega forme.
Doesn't matter which type gets it imo.

And I hope we don't get another Oshawott/Chespin clone

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Honestly, all I want is for one of the starters to gain the Dragon type. For reals and not just in Mega forme.
Doesn't matter which type gets it imo

I feel like I heard from somewhere that starters aren't usually given the Dragon type because it would be too overpowered for them. IIRC that was mainly the reason why Charizard wasn't given the Dragon type even though it looks so much like one. Also it'd be nice to see, but I'd wonder how the other starters would compare to it in terms of popularity.

Overall, I'm hoping to see a Grass/Steel or Fire/Ground combo myself.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I feel like I heard from somewhere that starters aren't usually given the Dragon type because it would be too overpowered for them. IIRC that was mainly the reason why Charizard wasn't given the Dragon type even though it looks so much like one. Also it'd be nice to see, but I'd wonder how the other starters would compare to it in terms of popularity.

Overall, I'm hoping to see a Grass/Steel or Fire/Ground combo myself.

I would say that was just in the first generation. Dragons aren't near the threat they were before Fairy was introduced. However, I could also see Dragon being denied to starters because it would make the other elementals neutral at best against it. That is, unless another starter is granted the Fairy or Ice type.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I would say that was just in the first generation. Dragons aren't near the threat they were before Fairy was introduced. However, I could also see Dragon being denied to starters because it would make the other elementals neutral at best against it. That is, unless another starter is granted the Fairy or Ice type.

That would seem like a good balance at this point in the series. It'd be nice to see more exotic typings for the starters too.

KKS-Lapras

I have always wanted a set that contained Grass/Flying, Fire/Ground, and Water/Flying for the starters. I don't care about balance and weaknesses. I just think it would be cool, because it would finally allow for there to be one starter of each type that represented the land and one of the air. Charizard, Swampert, and Torterra make up the other 3.

JudySpell

Banned
I have always wanted a set that contained Grass/Flying, Fire/Ground, and Water/Flying for the starters. I don't care about balance and weaknesses. I just think it would be cool, because it would finally allow for there to be one starter of each type that represented the land and one of the air. Charizard, Swampert, and Torterra make up the other 3.

What kind of animal would be the basis for a Grass/Flying Starter??

KKS-Lapras

What kind of animal would be the basis for a Grass/Flying Starter??

If not for the popular fan creation that already exists, I would have suggested a Hummingbird concept, but fans beat GameFreak to that design. Maybe another Squirrel concept for Grass/Flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.