• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lugarugan forms share the same name and dex nuber, but are quite different. So if the starters get similar treatment, they could have some drastic differences between forms.

The Rockruff evos aren't that different though, it's mostly colour, stance, and main changes. So for example, Popplio3 probably won't become a big buff clown due to the fact that it's other form still has to be the same species.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
There are a few snall changes, like the front leg/arm sizes and the ody is slightly different. The starter ones wont be drwstic but they will be different. For popplio's I could see them changing like maybe the braid into a king crown, and the hair to look masculine, and a few other things.

Relax

The Rockruff evos aren't that different though, it's mostly colour, stance, and main changes. So for example, Popplio3 probably won't become a big buff clown due to the fact that it's other form still has to be the same species.

Why would that not be possible? I think Rockruff day evolution looks way different than his night evolution. They look like 2 completely different pokémon.

Only his mouth/nose looks the same.

Why would that not be possible? I think Rockruff day evolution looks way different than his night evolution. They look like 2 completely different pokémon.

Only his mouth/nose looks the same.

Not really, the base body is almost identical
Its just the details attached to the bases that differ terribly.

sandtreamftw

On and Off Trainer
The Lugarugan forms share the same name and dex nuber, but are quite different. So if the starters get similar treatment, they could have some drastic differences between forms.

Its going to depend on the names they are given. If a gimmick is attached to their naming convention, say that leaked Rowlett evo was strongly tied to Arrow in its name, I don't see its alternate form changing from that much.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
If the changes theoretically would be just like how they are with rockruff, then basically the base body shape will mostly be the same but the rest can be different to an extent. For Popplio, it could maybe be based on king neptune. Like from the little mermaid.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/24/e9/33/24e933cf86bb3526c54ca8dc63f54915.jpg

Litten, it could become quadropedal and just the legs would be changed slightly to be proportioned better and the paws. Plus it would lose the ripped tshirt look and just look more natural.

Not sure for Rowlet.

PsychoIncarnate

The exact text says the starters have a secret as well, it doesn't necessarily say they share the same secret

Their secret could be something completely different

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
The exact text says the starters have a secret as well, it doesn't necessarily say they share the same secret

Their secret could be something completely different

yea but the fact only corocoro specifically mentioned that so far and right with the rockruff thing makes it sound like it is most likely connected. Either way we know no other secret for the starters so far so there is definitely at least a chance.

.Aerodactyl.

Is anyone at all the least bit curious about the third "midday" form of Rockruff's evolution? Like I mentioned earlier, that could imply something about the starters secret. It could be a held item non-permanent form. Just by how it was described, I'm GUESSING that the mid-day form is a non-permanent form, and that the rockruff evolution either gets the same "boost" and form change, or the day one has a different midday form boost from the night one. And if it's an item thing, it might be applicable to the starters.

Or its simply a third permanent form based on time of day. In which case, that might imply the starters have 3 IF -and only if- this is the secret they have and they do indeed share it with Rockruff. But even I think it unlikely they would do THREE different forms for the starters...

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
Is anyone at all the least bit curious about the third "midday" form of Rockruff's evolution? Like I mentioned earlier, that could imply something about the starters secret. It could be a held item non-permanent form. Just by how it was described, I'm GUESSING that the mid-day form is a non-permanent form, and that the rockruff evolution either gets the same "boost" and form change, or the day one has a different midday form boost from the night one. And if it's an item thing, it might be applicable to the starters.

Or its simply a third permanent form based on time of day. In which case, that might imply the starters have 3 IF -and only if- this is the secret they have and they do indeed share it with Rockruff. But even I think it unlikely they would do THREE different forms for the starters...

Isn't the "Midday" form the quadrupedal one? Or am I missing something here and there's actually a third form or something.

.Aerodactyl.

Isn't the "Midday" form the quadrupedal one? Or am I missing something here and there's actually a third form or something.

Oh my gosh, nevermind I totally misread that XD. It's what I get trying to look at this stuff on my phone. It's the Midday form AND the midnight form...no third form!!! I'm WAY off base XD

I read it as "It notes that Rockruff becomes the Midday Form when bathed in the rays of the sun and when full of the night's power" like it was some kind of combined form... I didn't even see the ", it becomes the midnight form.". I thought it was talking about a whole new third form and was super confused why no one was talking about it.

But it seems the Midday form IS the "day form" and the midnight form the "night form"

I'm embarrassed now...

Last edited:

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Oh my gosh, nevermind I totally misread that XD. It's what I get trying to look at this stuff on my phone. It's the Midday form AND the midnight form...no third form!!! I'm WAY off base XD

I read it as "It notes that Rockruff becomes the Midday Form when bathed in the rays of the sun and when full of the night's power" like it was some kind of combined form... I didn't even see the ", it becomes the midnight form.". I thought it was talking about a whole new third form and was super confused why no one was talking about it.

But it seems the Midday form IS the "day form" and the midnight form the "night form"

I'm embarrassed now...

If it's any consolation, I also misread it that way at first and was looking for the morning form haha.

.Aerodactyl.

If it's any consolation, I also misread it that way at first and was looking for the morning form haha.

I was like "is it on the poster??? Is it a seperate form altogether?!?! WHAT IS THIS??? WHERE IS IT???"

As for split starter forms...

Like I said I don't think it's safe to say confirmed, but I do think them more likely than before. Just for pure speculation fun, if there are separate forms, I think that Poppliovely and Liften is the night form as many have said, but I kind if think Rowlet3 is the day form... He just strikes me as a daytime creature with his hood...like he's using it to keep the sun out of his eyes and wouldn't need it at night.

Just because they leaked together, if there are seperate forms, doesn't mean they are the same ones necessarily. We still don't know who leaked them, how they got them, where they got them from, etc... To leak this kind of information so early is difficult to begin with, it was likely some third or even fourth party that had access to it via someone else who has limited info from someone else, etc. But all this is just my thoughts. Doesn't mean it's true or anything, just what to think based on what I see. There are still some people who think Nintendo themselves leaked the concept art as part of their hype and build up to the games.

If there are split forms, I think they will still keep similar themes (performer, long range attacker) but that they do have potential to branch off more than expected. I think Rockruff's evo forms have rather large differences between the forms for being the same Pokémon and shows what we can expect. Different stance, colour scheme, highlights, etc. Perhaps the other Rowlett3 has feather daggers, and fights closer up with kicks and wielding his dagger, but also can throw the daggers from a distance if need be. Maybe he's bulkier than the archer to handle those up close hits and is heavierz thus loosing his ability to fly and gaining a second type ( like grass/dark or something). This is what I mean by different but similar enough... Like the idea lines up with his first form still, but doesn't differ far in concept from the archer whilst having a different angle/spin.

This isn't to fuel the whole qudraped Litten thing. I'm not trying to build false hope. We don't even know if we will get split forms. But, I could see changes being made that mirror Rockruffs.

Last edited:

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I was like "is it on the poster??? Is it a seperate form altogether?!?! WHAT IS THIS??? WHERE IS IT???"

As for split starter forms...

Like I said I don't think it's safe to say confirmed, but I do think them more likely than before. Just for pure speculation fun, if there are separate forms, I think that Poppliovely and Liften is the night form as many have said, but I kind if think Rowlet3 is the day form... He just strikes me as a daytime creature with his hood...like he's using it to keep the sun out of his eyes and wouldn't need it at night.

Just because they leaked together, if there are seperate forms, doesn't mean they are the same ones necessarily. We still don't know who leaked them, how they got them, where they got them from, etc... To leak this kind of information so early is difficult to begin with, it was likely some third or even fourth party that had access to it via someone else who has limited info from someone else, etc. But all this is just my thoughts. Doesn't mean it's true or anything, just what to think based on what I see. There are still some people who think Nintendo themselves leaked the concept art as part of their hype and build up to the games.

If there are split forms, I think they will still keep similar themes (performer, long range attacker) but that they do have potential to branch off more than expected. I think Rockruff's evo forms have rather large differences between the forms for being the same Pokémon and shows what we can expect. Different stance, colour scheme, highlights, etc. Perhaps the other Rowlett3 has feather daggers, and fights closer up with kicks and wielding his dagger, but also can throw the daggers from a distance if need be. Maybe he's bulkier than the archer to handle those up close hits and is heavierz thus loosing his ability to fly and gaining a second type ( like grass/dark or something). This is what I mean by different but similar enough... Like the idea lines up with his first form still, but doesn't differ far in concept from the archer whilst having a different angle/spin.

This isn't to fuel the whole qudraped Litten thing. I'm not trying to build false hope. We don't even know if we will get split forms. But, I could see changes being made that mirror Rockruffs.

Well for Rowlet, it's like an archer assassin, and its wings almost kind of resemble a cape like something batman would wear. So it could be the night one.

.Aerodactyl.

Well for Rowlet, it's like an archer assassin, and its wings almost kind of resemble a cape like something batman would wear. So it could be the night one.

Too true also. It does stand to reason they'd be the same form if they were found and released together, but it is also possible they aren't which is why I brought it up. Like if split forms do end up being real, and he is the night form, I wont be shocked and disbelieving or anything. Just as it stands now, it strikes me as more "day" like I said cause of the hood (keeping the sun out). I also kind of envision archery as a real daytime sport, not a night one.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Too true also. It does stand to reason they'd be the same form if they were found and released together, but it is also possible they aren't which is why I brought it up. Like if split forms do end up being real, and he is the night form, I wont be shocked and disbelieving or anything. Just as it stands now, it strikes me as more "day" like I said cause of the hood (keeping the sun out). I also kind of envision archery as a real daytime sport, not a night one.

Well I think the hood is supposed to kind of represent a mask and be like a secret identity, but that's just to me at least.

It's honestly hard to tell where this could go with split forms/evos. They are supposed to be technically the same pokemon but then not really at the same time. So not sure exactly how much would change between them.

B. Thunder Tiger

Actually, in Greek Mythology, you have Artemis, the goddess of the Moon and Hunting, who also symbolizes archery.

That said, going on topic of the statement that says "the Starters also have secrets as well", could it be that their secrets are identical to that of Rockruff, but have a extra layer/importance to them, and thus as such, making them differ from Rockruff's Evo Gimmick? I mean, Rockruff is likely a one-stage evo line, whereas the Starters are two-stage evo lines, not to say, the Starters are always one of the most important parts of a new generation. Or is this unlikely?

Last edited:

.Aerodactyl.

On topic of the statement that says "the Starters also have secrets as well" , could it be that their secrets are identical to that of Rockruff, but have a extra layer/importance to them, and thus as such, making them differ from Rockruff's Evo Gimmick? I mean, Rockruff is likely a one-stage evo line, whereas the Starters are two-stage evo lines. Or is this unlikely?

I don't think it's any less or more likely personally. It depends what the gimmick would be... How it would work. And I can't think of what they could possibly do to add on another layer or extra importance off the top of my head. Maybe the they can switch between forms? It seems to me that the Rockruff evo is a permanent form change, because if it changed on time of day, how would that work for competitive battling, or online battling? They are pretty "time of day free" battle zones. I think, for Rockruff and starters if they have them, they'd have to function as permanent and essentially split evos even if they are forms. I'm honestly not surprised that to get "more" Pokémon they are doing forms over split evos (and alolan forms)... It saves Dex space and keeps the "gotta catch em' all" aspects of Pokémon from getting to ridiculous for new players every time, but still gives us that variety and options that completely new Pokémon would have given us. To me, I don't really see the necessity for them to have seperate Dex number entries and names, that's all minor details to me personally.

Orphalesion

If it is a misunderstanding (which I argue is quite possible), the fault lies in those who have interpreted it, such as the videogame journalists and internet theorists. I don't have the original source for translations, but unless I am mistaken, it came up to something akin to "Rockruff has a secret inside of it's body. The starters have their own secrets, too!"

Well Japanese is a very context based language, as far as I understand, and it can be hard to interpret a sentence correctly when translating it, so that's why I'm a bit skeptic about starters getting additional forms. I do believe it will indeed be along the lines of "Rockruff has a secret, and the starters have a secret"

Not that I would be bothered by alternate forms or anything, but I remember the X and Y pre-release time when a mistranslation made me exited about getting a Lunar Moth pokemon and then it just turned out to be Greninja because of some obscure quirk in the Japanese language.

Also why wouldn't the alternate forms leaked along with the three we got? Seems all rather strange to me.

.Aerodactyl.

Well Japanese is a very context based language, as far as I understand, and it can be hard to interpret a sentence correctly when translating it, so that's why I'm a bit skeptic about starters getting additional forms. I do believe it will indeed be along the lines of "Rockruff has a secret, and the starters have a secret"

Not that I would be bothered by alternate forms or anything, but I remember the X and Y pre-release time when a mistranslation made me exited about getting a Lunar Moth pokemon and then it just turned out to be Greninja because of some obscure quirk in the Japanese language.

Also why wouldn't the alternate forms leaked along with the three we got? Seems all rather strange to me.

I agree that we have to be careful about language and translations. But I will say (not as evidence either way but a point to consider) we don't even know how the concept art leaked initially. If it wasn't done by Nintendo itself (some people suspect that some leaks/rumors are actually written off on and done by then as a part of their hype building pre-release info plan to promote the games), then it was likely a third or even fourth party extension. No one on main staff would risk that, there are heaps of legal problems involved to do that. So it would be someone who doesn't work there, but knowo someone along the chain of command and got a hold of it, and as you go down the chain, your access to info is limited (they could still be employees on some level, but likely far, far down the chain). They don't have all of it, only what they can get. Its why people who leak screenshots of the video trailers only do the trailers... It's all they have. We have no reason to assume that whoever leaked it could get all of them...they didn't even get the middle forms for a start. I don't think leakers can really just waltz up and get whatever they ask for.

EDIT: this doesn't mean that there are starter split forms. Again, I am of the "speculation is fun but wait for official reveal before considering something 100% confirmed" camp. Even the very likely real concept art :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.