• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Froakin' Koga

In the end, the "leaked" art of Rowlett3 may simply be just an owl with a stereotypical archer motif, with absolutely nothing to do with legends or pop culture. Has anyone considered that?

Yep lots of people have. It's a forum so we get lots of opinion here. But seeing a hooded owl in green shooting arrows, it is pretty hard to say the final evo isn't based on Robin Hood. But the goggles are pretty unique so it's safe to say that the design draws inspiration from Robin Hood but isn't just a carbon copy. The fact that it uses it wing as a bow is what makes the design so freaking cool to me. But it's fun to look at a design and discuss its possible influences.

BlackRaven

Go Charizard!!!!
Torracat would be cool becoming a dark and fire type. But ground type dosn't seem to make sense judging from the design

knightwolf09

Anyone else having the feeling that maybe the secret the starters have might be the Battle Bond ability?

Dragon Pulse

I am trying to force myself to like Dartrix currently. I may not have liked Rowlet3, but I was getting used to it until this abomination (Dartrix) was revealed. I dislike it more than Rowlet3. People keep saying to me, "It doesn't matter. It's the middle stage evo. Evolve it and you'll forget about Dartrix."
Firstly, you're stuck with the middle evolution of your starter the most during the main story. Secondly, I kinda care about what the entire evolution line looks like as I am picky like that. For example, Froakie's evolutions were perfect to me while Chikorita's isn't (to me), and Rowlet is a meh as I like the first and third stages and not the second.
Also, am I the only one who sees the word "dark" in Dartrix's name? I don't know why but it just got my attention.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
So Torracat's bio on the official english sites state that the flame is 'bell-like', so it could actually get a status-removal move in Heal Bell. Nothing major, but it's interesting to think about.
It would be hilarious if Liften, the big nasty wrestler dude, ends up with this huge support movepool XD If it does get Heal Bell, I'd love to run a cleric set just to surprise people with my kindly wrestler-kitten-nurse.

Random Starter Speculation time:

I was just looking up some stuff for Torracat, until I came across something called "Iron Shirt", and I was thinking about Litten3's leaked evo which depicts having a gray torso. Looking closer, its as if it was wearing a sleeveless shirt made of iron fur or something. If so, it just so happens that "Iron Shirt" is a chinese martial arts form, namely this:

What is more interesting, is that one of its variations is named Hǔ Xiào Jīn Zhōng Zhào, which translates to "Tiger Shouting Golden Bell Exercise". Sound familiar no? Indeed, Torracat is a adolescent tiger cub who happens to depict a golden bell, otherwise its flame sac.

I'd say this fits nicely with the Wrestler theme and makes the evolution more sense wise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_shirt
Oh wow, this is really interesting! That definitely sounds like it fits too well to be a coincidence. Perhaps Liften will end up with decent Defense to fit that inspiration.

glacialcat

I am trying to force myself to like Dartrix currently. I may not have liked Rowlet3, but I was getting used to it until this abomination (Dartrix) was revealed. I dislike it more than Rowlet3. People keep saying to me, "It doesn't matter. It's the middle stage evo. Evolve it and you'll forget about Dartrix."
Firstly, you're stuck with the middle evolution of your starter the most during the main story. Secondly, I kinda care about what the entire evolution line looks like as I am picky like that. For example, Froakie's evolutions were perfect to me while Chikorita's isn't (to me), and Rowlet is a meh as I like the first and third stages and not the second.
Also, am I the only one who sees the word "dark" in Dartrix's name? I don't know why but it just got my attention.

Honestly I'm not a fan of Dartrix either. If I wasn't completely confident in Rowlet3 (and didn't find it adorable and cool) I'd be rethinking my choice of Rowlet. "Abomination" is a bit strong for what I feel, but it doesn't grab me. Unfortunately I don't know what to tell you if the entire line is important to you. If you hate it so much that you can't like the line, you might just need to pick a different starter, or ignore them all.

Froakin' Koga

I was just looking up some stuff for Torracat, until I came across something called "Iron Shirt", and I was thinking about Litten3's leaked evo which depicts having a gray torso. Looking closer, its as if it was wearing a sleeveless shirt made of iron fur or something. If so, it just so happens that "Iron Shirt" is a chinese martial arts form, namely this:

What is more interesting, is that one of its variations is named Hǔ Xiào Jīn Zhōng Zhào, which translates to "Tiger Shouting Golden Bell Exercise". Sound familiar no? Indeed, Torracat is a adolescent tiger cub who happens to depict a golden bell, otherwise its flame sac.

Maybe its just me, but I think this fits nicely with the Wrestler theme and if true, makes the evolution more sense wise. Perhaps....Litten3's Evo is a...Fire/Steel Heel wrestler?

Holy crap what a nice find! Oh my god he's a heel wrestler because wearing a shirt made of iron would be cheating in an official wrestling match! I'm going all in on this idea.

.Aerodactyl.

Maybe its just me, but I think this fits nicely with the Wrestler theme and if true, makes the evolution more sense wise. Perhaps....Litten3's Evo is a...Fire/Steel Heel wrestler?

Now that makes more sense to me, because honestly the bell was bothering me because cat bells have nothing to do with wrestling and have a completely seperate mythos.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Anyone else having the feeling that maybe the secret the starters have might be the Battle Bond ability?

Definitely possible, though I'm curious how that'd work since the customization thing with Ash-Greninja hasn't come to pass.

ninijatt

Half, ninja, half cat, all attitude
You know, I tried really hard to black out on info but when I heard that Ash-Greninja was confirmed but synchro/bond phenomenon is Greninja exclusive, I had to take a look. I didn't want to see the starters evos but they were there. Sigh. Anyway, since it's my thing to write up my opinions of these guys, let's get into it. Hello, everyone again by the way. I missed all of you, hope you missed me. But sadly, a farewell must soon follow this hello as I intend to go hard on the blackout from this point on, even if synchro is confirmed as more than greninja exclusive. No ifs ands or buts about it.

But anyway... (btw, I'm aware of the final evolution leaks but I will be ignoring them regardless of how official they may or may not be due to not being confirmed.

Dartrix is kind of meh. I wasn't a fan of it initially, since it seemed too "emo" to me (reminded me waaaay too much of my edgy and troubled goth self from high scool. I'm a much happier kind of goth now.) but those amie facial expressions are just too good and I love it's battle animations. He's an okay guy I guess. Rowlet was perfect and while this guy doesn't ruin him, it's not as good. I still like it though.

Torracat is the most meh. I liked Litten, it was a good #2 out of the three but this guy... I like the fire bell but that's about it. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just... a normal red cat... Nothing to write home about. It would be different if we didn't already have similar cats like Persion and Liepard but we do. I like it, don't get me wrong it's just without the cool shapeshifting fire bell around it's neck, it's just kind of.... boring.

Brionne is my favorite of the three. I had speculated that Popplio was a reworked/redesigned version of Kurusu and Brionne looks like that's exactly what it is. Brionne is actually Kurusu and no one can tell me otherwise. I like it a lot.

That all being said, I'm still undecided which starter I'll be picking. I was leaning towards Rowlet but now I'm torn between Rowlet and Popplio. I guess I'll just have to go with my gut feeling once I get the game. With that, I guess I might stick around for a few more days since more info doesn;t come until the 14th.

Be careful who you call ugly in middle school

Because when they grow up they become 4x weak to flying?

knightwolf09

Definitely possible, though I'm curious how that'd work since the customization thing with Ash-Greninja hasn't come to pass.

Maybe they just get altered looks. Not like mega evolution, but small aesthetic changes, like parts on Wrestlitten's body are now on fire.

Fresco

Fresh Out The Oven.
Due to my personal indifference to Popplio, I really can't care what Brionne looks like. The only issue that I can see is that both its name and appearance are far more feminine in nature, so it woudl seem awkward to envision it as a male. (Also, I wonder where "Brionne" comes from? What does the name have to do with a water-type, performing seal? Usually Pokemon names are pretty self-explanatory, but this one eludes me. Just makes me think of the name "Brienne" from GoT. The second half of "Dartrix" also confuses me. "Dart", ok, but "rix"? Is it maybe part of a scientific name for owls?)
Brionne is derived from 'brio', which means being vivacious and having a flair for performing, and most probably 'undine' (a kind of mermaid). Could also be from 'lionne', French for lioness as in, I guess, a female sea lion.

So happy Popplio 3's leaked concept art is pretty much confirmed as real; loving the whole pop star mermaid-diva concept!

Last edited:

Froakin' Koga

The description for Torracat also says that he bends iron bars. 100% jumping off the deep end but what if Litten3 melts down it iron to form his "iron shirt". It's dumb but the idea of a fire/steel wrestling cat starter has me excited.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Brionne is derived from 'brio', which means being vivacious and having a flair for performing, and most probably 'undine' (a kind of mermaid). Could also be from 'lionne', French for lioness as in, I guess, a female sea lion.

So happy Popplio 3's leaked concept art is pretty much confirmed as real; loving the whole pop star mermaid-diva concept!

Well, yes, but there'sa bit more to the name than that, you see...

Brine, most definitely, and possibly brio, which means great confidence, energy, and vigor. Beyond that, we have the possibility of Bryony. In addition to it being a female name and a type of plant, Bryony comes from the latin "bryonia", meaning to swell or sprout, which might reference its transition from its tiny aderpable stages into the graceful and fully blossomed Poppliovely. Finally, we might be seeing a bit of the word "lionne" in there, which is french for lioness, in reference to it femininity and the fact that it is a sea lion.

Yeah, this is a creative bunch of names we've gotten. I mean Torracat comes from "tora" (Japanese, "tiger"), "torrar" (Spanish, "to roast/toast"), and "cat", whilealso possibly alluding to "torch", "Ra" (the Egyptian God of the Sun), and "ora" (Hebrew, "light").

As for Dartrix, well...it does "dart tricks". Also, it likely is derived from the genus Strix, which includes this fella, the brown wood owl:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strix_(genus)#/media/File:Brown_wood_owl_arp.jpg

Definitely loos like our hooded friend to me, if you throw in some barn owl as well.

But yeah, Brionne is my precious dorky baby, and I will love it forever!

Grey Wind

Torracat is really growing on me, I kind of hope seeing its (ugly) evolution in game makes me change my opinion of it. I'm really liking Dartrix too, so I definitely think my choice will be between Rowlet and Litten. I think I find more more to dislike about Brionne every time I look at it, though. Even the name is dumb.

aerial_ace

OM.MY.GOD these evos are outstanding!
Dartrix is the most fabolous middle stage starter ever, the way it flips its hair is just so cool. Design wise one of my favourite middle stage starter rivaled only by bayleaf grovyle and....
Torrocat! Fire starters from gen 1 always been my least favourite. I absolutely hate the fact that this fantastic middle stage starter will turn into something so meh like Litten3... Love this cats design its cute in a way but also fierce just the way cats are. The refresh animation with torrocat padding the ground reminds me so much of my cat!
Brionne is the least interesting for me. Dont like the design and it is a shame because i really like poplio but this is just ugly. Thankfully it will evolve in this beautiful siren so i can stomach this middle stage.

Overall i must say Dartrix and Torrocat are one of the best middle stage starter for me ever created. Fantastic design, great battle animation and desription for them is so awesome especially my snobby fabulous owl !! I dont really see where people are getting emo vibe from Dartrix i cant see that at all:eek:

Rhynox

I'm dieing for a fire/steel type that's not heatran. I hate using legends. And fire/steel is one of the sexiest typings ever. Here's hoping Litten goes that way! Or at least one poke this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.