• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orphalesion

Bulbapedia says Brionne may be a combination of brio and undine, a female water nymph..

Undines are the elemental spirits of water as described by Paracelsus, and nymphs are always female. Of course the romantics then mixed the terms together, so well...

But I cannot see how they get "Undine" from "Brionne" the only thing those two words have in common is the "ne" at the end and that is stretching a lot. If it was Briondin or something I could see where they were coming from (Ondine is the french variation of undine) but as it is...no.

PokeAJ

Undines are the elemental spirits of water as described by Paracelsus, and nymphs are always female. Of course the romantics then mixed the terms together, so well...

But I cannot see how they get "Undine" from "Brionne" the only thing those two words have in common is the "ne" at the end and that is stretching a lot. If it was Briondine or something I could see where they were coming from (Ondine is the french variation of undine) but as it is...no.

I could see it, since phonetically the "onne" part of "Brionne" sounds the same as the beginning "un" of Undine.

glacialcat

For me I can see the transition from Dartrix to Rowlet3 not just because of the feather blades and arrows thing and some of the other design features that match to me but because the middle stage seems to be the annoying, immature teen phase, and I can see Rowlet3 being the grown up, heroic adult that comes from a spoiled teenager who eventually gets a wakeup call and decides to do good in the world etc. I can see Torracat loving battle so much that it ends up being a wrestler. Brionne looks exactly like it funnels into Popplio3, I'm just not sure what "story" I can see for that one.

Perhaps the "story" of Brionne > Popplio3 has to do with its description on the Sun/Moon site. Brionne always act happy and cheerful, even when sad and depressed. Only the closest trainers can bring them to admit their sadness. Perhaps Popplio3 isn't a cheerful pop star, but a sorrowful operatic singer. Or just a singer that can take on the whole of emotions with songs, rather than just focusing on happy pop.

scififan21

I'm dissapointed that Torracat will turn humanoid it was so great to see the fire cat. I don't mind Dartrix or Brionne either really I'm torn between which one I'm taking as a starter on my Sun version. Pending any possible day/night evos which I'm only holding out hope because of Litten3.

Rankings:

1-Torracat
2-Litten
3-Rowlet
4-Brionne
5-Popplio3
6-Rowlet3
7-Popplio
8-Dartrix
9-Litten3 (Just sooo ugly compared to the two adorable first stages.)

noakai

Perhaps the "story" of Brionne > Popplio3 has to do with its description on the Sun/Moon site. Brionne always act happy and cheerful, even when sad and depressed. Only the closest trainers can bring them to admit their sadness. Perhaps Popplio3 isn't a cheerful pop star, but a sorrowful operatic singer. Or just a singer that can take on the whole of emotions with songs, rather than just focusing on happy pop.

That works. Or maybe it can be something like it was a fun-loving young one who loved performing and as it gets older, it works harder and harder at its goal of being a famous performer, and eventually it turns into a brilliant, beloved singer/siren.

Rowlet

So any guess for final evolution names?

Searenne would be cool for Popplio3 imo

TyLogic

I wonder how fast Brionne is. (How do you pronounce that?)

It's dress-like ruffage seems like it slows it down when it swims because water can't pass by easily. (Forgive me if I sound ignorant. I don't know much about water science or whatever.) I think Litten's line is the fastest of the three. However I also think that they won't break any "Starter Stat Records" in terms of speed.

DSDark

Breeder
Yeah, I'll just join the bandwagon..

1. Rowlet3: Yeah.. #Arrowl2k16. Can't flaw its design at all.
2. Torracat: Who can't like this? Its a fire shooting cat!
3. Dartrix: I can see why some people don't like it. And I just take the snobby attitude for granted, I just know this thing will be awesome on my team until it evolves into the glorious Arrowl.
4. Popplio3: I don't like Popplio's line much, but this design is solid. I can't fault it.
5. Rowlet: Love the little bugger, but the designs above just feel more complete, but that's just due to it being the basic stage.
6. Litten: Same with Rowlet, it's got a good design, but I like Rowlet more.
7. Litten3: I don't dislike it much, I'm actually warming up to it. But I still don't find the design to be all that.
8. Popplio: Yeah.. That starter that you wouldn't mind getting the Piplup/Oshawott/Chespin-treatment just so you don't have to see it go through that.. Don't get me wrong, I like its design, it's sleak... But..

- left intentially open or dramatic purposes..

9. Brionne: Ugly. As. Sin. Immediately there are people that have taken a liking towards it, but I don't see it. At all. It's not the feminity of the frilly dress or the pigtails. It's just the look it exudes in general and those eyes that look like.. yuck. Its snout looks as if it has been glued on, whereas Popplio's looks like it actually is a part of its body. Its just not working for me.

I like the middle stages of most starter pokémon a lot. Seriously, I honestly can't name a lot of them where I didn't had an instance where I regretted evolving them. Ivysaur, Charmeleon, Wartortle, Quilava, Grovyle, Marshtomp, Monferno, Grotle, Dewott, Frogadier, they're among my favorites even though I like Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Typhlosion, Sceptile, Swampert, Torterra, Infernape, Samurott and Greninja probably just as much. Brionne though? Not so much. It joins the small group of middle stages that I actually don't like.. consisting off: Servine and.. BRIONNE.. Just yuck.. -.-

I though Popplio was pretty much gender neutral to be honest. People take issue with Brionne because it's eyes are ugly as sin. I don't mind that it looks feminine at all, I think that its design just hurts my eyes and I'll be glad the moment I fully evolve it in order to complete the 'dex/use Bubblaid.

The pigtails really bother me.

landipan

I so wish Torracat wasn't going to go humanoid, I like him like this on all fours! Oh well.

I do like Brionne, except for those pigtails!

I feel like the split evo thing isn't going to happen now with these guys revealed, if it were wouldn't the mid evos be a bit more neutral? I dunno, I suppose we don't have too much longer to see!

rocky505

Dartrix really takes Doctor Hoo to a whole new level. It actually resembles Matt Smith now.

future.newyorker

I wonder how fast Brionne is. (How do you pronounce that?)

It's dress-like ruffage seems like it slows it down when it swims because water can't pass by easily. (Forgive me if I sound ignorant. I don't know much about water science or whatever.) I think Litten's line is the fastest of the three. However I also think that they won't break any "Starter Stat Records" in terms of speed.

I've been pronouncing it like Phione, but with a Br instead of a Ph.

Aquaslash

Starter Rankings

Okay, since everyone's doing this, I might as well do it. Here goes...

1. Pop3
2. Brionne
3. Popplio
4. Torracat
5. Litten
6. Rowlett
7. Row3
8. Dartrix
9. Lit3

Side Note: This only cements Popplio as my choice. Also, I just get this vibe from Lit3 that reminds me of Tigerstar. I can't stand that tyrant of a cat.

Dialga101010

Dragon Trainer
I can confirm as a high school swim team member, that Brionne's dress would slow it down. Competive swimmers wear speedos or jammars (speedos that go down to the knees basically) for guys and a one-piece for girls. I would imagine that Brionne's dress is more for dancing and elegance as its info on the official site references its dancing.

WolfCypher

I want to know which offensive stat Rowlet and its evolutions will specialize in? Litten looks to be going the ATK route, Popplio the SpATK route, so is Rowlet going to have a spread between the two? A Mixed attacker?

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
I think Torracat and Dartrix are both super cute. Brionne isn't my style. It's a good design, just not one I'm particularly interested in.

I especially like some of the animations. Dartrix preeing his "hair" and reaching under his wing to throw out the leaves and Torracat kneading the ground with his claws. All very lovingly animated and adorable.

Their descriptions on the main site are interesting, too. Each of them kinda has a little personality quirk that a trainer would have to work around and I think that's a nice touch. It makes them feel more like an intermediary phase between the cute and sweet stage and the mature, strong stage.

I really do hope Torracat becomes Fire/Dark Liften. I know many people don't like it, but as a Dark obsessed trainer, I'm super pumped at the possibility I'll have another Dark starter. I also really like the idea of the heel wrestler as a Dark type. I love the little sketch on the concept art leak of Liften slamming a table down on Pikachu.

TyLogic

I wish they would've made Brionne (Bree+Own? I think that's right...) a Water-Fairy. I want at least one hint when it comes to the final evolutions typings. They all used a Grass, Fire, and Water type move respectively. When the gen6 starter evolutions were revealed, they didn't really use moves of their type. I kind of hope that they show Brionne using Playrough or Dartrix using Aerial Ace or... something that's not there type so I can at least get a good hint about the moveset and typing of the final evolutions.

Game2016

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
The thing about personal opinion is that it can't be wrong...it's just her feelings. She's allowed to not like the inspiration. I'm personally indifferent to it.
True, but such a person will attract attention, especially if his preference is too strange or biased. If someone says he has a preference for Western stuff only and absolutely hates all Asian stuff, one may think he's anti-Asian and thus make Asians have negative impressions on him. The way Blitz is behaving may make Europeans go like "what do you have against our lore and mythology?"

Last edited:

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
I wish they would've made Brionne (Bree+Own? I think that's right...) a Water-Fairy. I want at least one hint when it comes to the final evolutions typings. They all used a Grass, Fire, and Water type move respectively. When the gen6 starter evolutions were revealed, they didn't really use moves of their type. I kind of hope that they show Brionne using Playrough or Dartrix using Aerial Ace or... something that's not there type so I can at least get a good hint about the moveset and typing of the final evolutions.

if poppliolovely does not end up water-fairy, especially with it's mid-evo looking like that, I will be thoroughly surprised. I mean, I suppose weirder things have happened, but it really looks like they've designed it purposely with the same sylveon-style fairy characteristics in mind.

TyLogic

True, but such a person will attract attention, especially if his preference is too strange or biased. If someone says he has a preference for Western stuff only and absolutely hates all Asian stuff, one may think he's anti-Asian and thus make Asians have negative impressions on him. The way Blitz is behaving may make Europeans go like "what do you have against our mythology and lore?"

Yeah that's true. But IMO an opinion is just an opinion. Your right, you can't just have overly biased opinions or offensive ones. But that opinion wasn't really hurtful or too biased. I mean...It's pokemon. (This is about the Robin Hood GA thing right? If not I'm sorry...) If you think it's line is based off of Robin Hood, oh well. I said this before but, the majority of their inspiration is ambiguous. If you think that it's a chinese dragon, your not really wrong (which I think is along the line of part of what you were trying to say) Until they say, "We got this pokemon's inspiration from..." and tells us, nothing is too off. Everyones way of thinking and point of view is different.

I think Brionne is based off of Cream the Rabbit...Am I wrong? Nope! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.