• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirtortoise

I feel like it would have been awesome if Brionne was the aggressive one of the three xD It would have changed things up for all the feminine cutesy Pokemon. And would make sense considering the vast majority of starters are male.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's only fair that there's a cute effeminate starter for once for the fans who like that. But unfortunately that's rarely the type of Pokemon I like, and being a water starter lover (with Greninja being the only final form I didn't like immediately) I can't help being disappointed. Part of me wants to still pick Popplio because I feel like it wouldn't hurt to change things up for myself and I'm sure I'd eventually learn to love it the middle and final stages. But I feel like it goes against what I feel Pokemon should really be about, which is choosing who it is you like most at the time you have to make your decision. If the leaks are true, that would be Rowlet, and I like Dartrix and Torracat a lot. Brionne definitely is cute though and objectively a step up from Popplio.

Squirtortoise

Something more badass and less femenine, specially from the owl.

A concept that lead the finals evolution look like this for example, would have been real nice.

1466023857698.jpg

Thinking about the split evolution idea now, these would have been awesome Moon forms for the starters (although it wouldn't have been very consistent to have Rowlet's final forms so similar and the others so different).

TyLogic

I feel like it would have been awesome if Brionne was the aggressive one of the three xD It would have changed things up for all the feminine cutesy Pokemon. And would make sense considering the vast majority of starters are male.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's only fair that there's a cute effeminate starter for once for the fans who like that. But unfortunately that's rarely the type of Pokemon I like, and being a water starter lover (with Greninja being the only final form I didn't like immediately) I can't help being disappointed. Part of me wants to still pick Popplio because I feel like it wouldn't hurt to change things up for myself and I'm sure I'd eventually learn to love it the middle and final stages. But I feel like it goes against what I feel Pokemon should really be about, which is choosing who it is you like most at the time you have to make your decision. If the leaks are true, that would be Rowlet, and I like Dartrix and Torracat a lot. Brionne definitely is cute though and objectively a step up from Popplio.

For me, Popplio3 isn't too feminine, but it is the most feminine starter. But I agree with you. If someone doesn't like feminine pokemon, they might feel like there's only two starters instead of three. Brionne shouldn't stop someone from using Popplio if they like Popplio3.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
For me, Popplio3 isn't too feminine, but it is the most feminine starter. But I agree with you. If someone doesn't like feminine pokemon, they might feel like there's only two starters instead of three. Brionne shouldn't stop someone from using Popplio if they like Popplio3.

what about the other way around?
*cough* liften *cough*

If you don't think GF does enough research to know about some of the slightly lesser-known aspects of a design they're working on, then you're just insulting them. Just because you didn't know, doesn't mean they weren't capable of basic research.

I am not saying they can't or didn't research. All I am saying is that going through thousands of plays to get contradicted stories countless isn't very productive for a company that has to release material timely.

Superheros are popular. Right. So why base a Pokemon on an archer, rather than something that is explicitly a superhero. No superhero fan is going to get into Pokemon just because there is a Pokemon that looks vaguely like Green Arrow, who isn't even in the spotlight compared to most other superheros, considering he has a lesser-known TV show, compared to several blockbuster movies about multiple other more recognisable superheroes. Also, Greninja was definitely not created because Naruto was big. Firstly, Naruto had been big for years, so why make it when it was ending? Also, preeetty sure the concept of ninjas is more of a recognisable thing than specifically Naruto, and in a region based on France (which is famous for frogs legs) they had the perfect opportunity to combine the two things. Yeah nobody talks about eating Froakie legs, but they did use the French word for frog to make Greninja's name, so....

Please don't base Pokemon origins on english names. They can name it whatever they want. If you want to dig into origins look into Japanese names. Also Anime is a good source. There were a lot of similarities between Ash's Froakie and Naruto, I mean a lot. Besides they named Goukazaru Infernape in the english translation. Can you still trust those guys? Apes don't even have tail according to general classification.

Also basing a Green Archer on GA is profitable if they are really going for the Hero-Villain-Heroine theme for the starters.

Also, Nintendo has been getting reeaally litigious lately themselves, so I can only imagine they try to avoid being hypocritical in that regard.

I don't think they care that much else Lucario, who is mostly based on Luke Skywalker of Star Wars franchise wouldn't have got a Mega.

Everything else I was going to say was said much better in the comment below.

WHAT. Okay. Conversation over. You're clearly the one not capable of reasonable argument. I don't know what your bias towards GA is, but holy hell. And hood vs. hat??? His name is Robin HOOD. The hat is a modern thing

I might be wrong at the hood part. I thought the hood part came from his location in the woods. There are so many stories, don't know which to trust unlike GA who always wears hood.

But yeah this conversation is over. I can see them taking inspiration from Robin Hood but you can't with GA. No point in debating this point.

I'm just gonna have to agree to disagree. This sounds SO stretched to me, but ultimately it doesn't matter what you think it's based on :) It's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Nothing about Dartrix screams to me that it's more GA then anything else, especially when taken with Rowlett and the supplied Owl3 evolution. Until we know more about the final stage, we can't really know for sure anyway.

I don't think that's stretched. It talks about Dartrix ability to detect opponent behind its back but doesn't mention it turning its neck. Did that came from Robin Hood too?

But I must admit I am sensing a fourth entity here. Owl, Robin Hood, GA and someone else. I suppose I gotta dig in further.

Spoken like someone who doesn't actually know the story of Robinhood very well. The disney version of robinhood, is not the actual story of robinhood. Robinhood wears a hood to hide his face from the law because his face is also well known because he was originally a wealthy member of the kings court.... details vary, but the original stories have him running the line between good and evil and he is not a 100% good person (in some he ends as a true villain in a tragic way), he is actually really messed up and trying to figure out what the difference between right and wrong are. Every time he thinks he is now the good guy, he later finds he was being the bad guy. It kicks off with him realising the wealthy are living as such at the expense of others and that he was, in fact, a snobbish unfit braggart who never properly earned his place and so are the people he associates with... this is a key character element and the entire reason he becomes robinhood in the first place.

So anyhow, you can believe whatever you want, but I thought you should know what the actual story of robinhood was. Also, I have not seen green arrow, so if any of that sounds like I got it from green arrow, I did not.

yup, though the fact that he has wealthy preppy emo hair suggests they were drawing a little from the story since in all of them, robinhood is upperclass before he becomes robinhood... and most archers don't actually have hoods.

Can someone really know about Robin Hood story with a certainty? With so many mythos and stuff, its really hard to look at him as a character with depth. In one story story he might be of the royal blood and be a hero and in another he is a commoner who doesn't know difference between good and evil. Which one to trust or should we take both with grain of salt?

Btw it doesn't sound anything like GA. His origin is much more similar to Batman than Robin Hood. People think just because he derives his design from Robin Hood he is like him. GA is a much more than an archer and his fighting prowess is matched by none other than Batman. He is a strategist, a biliionaire(used to be a brat and playboy) and at times a politician. I can go on but the post will reach its limit :p

Also I haven't seen the Disney version of Robin Hood. Is it animated?

TyLogic

what about the other way around?
*cough* liften *cough*

You mean if they like the middle stage but not the final? In that case, choose a different one. That's what I'd do anyway... I guess I feel that way about Ches(hulp)...about Chesp(HURK)...(gulp)...About the gen6 Grass-type starter...(Eww.)

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Since the pokebank won't be ready until janurary and I'm getting both games in the dual pack, I will just go with rowlet in my first playthrough and I will breed a froakie, and trade him to the other for my next starter.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I might be picking Litten as my starter. I don't like the direction Popplio is going in...sorry Popplio...

Nodame

Misty <3
Popplio is the winner for me. Rowlet's evolution disappointed as much as Piplup's. They had to ruin a cute Pokemon.

Squirtortoise

Popplio is the winner for me. Rowlet's evolution disappointed as much as Piplup's. They had to ruin a cute Pokemon.

I'm glad I'm seeing some Brionne love :) Honestly thought the middle stages matter so little. They get the least exposure anyways and often I can't say their designs are anything more than "just ok". Prinplup was pretty bad, but they fixed it with Empoleon.

glacialcat

I'm glad I'm seeing some Brionne love :) Honestly thought the middle stages matter so little. They get the least exposure anyways and often I can't say their designs are anything more than "just ok". Prinplup was pretty bad, but they fixed it with Empoleon.

So don't take this the wrong way, and this is a little off topic, but I'm legitimately curious. Why... do people like Empoleon? I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who doesn't. I just... don't see the appeal. To me personally, it is by far the worst designed starter.

It isn't very cute (certainly not as cute as Piplup).
Its metallic flippers and fingers seem really impractical outside of water. In fact its entire design looks nearly incapable of fighting on land, which really hurts any "cool points."
The trident is okay, I can say that's one of the better parts of its design. I do like the name. Empoleon is a good name.

So... just for my own curiosity, what makes you like Empoleon?

Last edited:

2dtyplosion

So don't take this the wrong way, and this is a little off topic, but I'm legitimately curious. Why... do people like Empoleon? I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who doesn't. I just... don't see the appeal. To me personally, it is by far the worst designed starter.

Its metallic flippers and fingers seem really impractical outside of water. In fact its entire design looks nearly incapable of fighting on land, which really hurts any "cool points."
The trident is okay, I can say that's one of the better parts of its design. I do like the name. Empoleon is a good name.

I like Empoleon because penguins are one of my favorite animals and steel is one of my favorite types. It is also the only water/steel pokemon so its unique. Plus the name Empoleon is badass.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Since the pokebank won't be ready until janurary and I'm getting both games in the dual pack, I will just go with rowlet in my first playthrough and I will breed a froakie, and trade him to the other for my next starter.
Wynaut just use Ash-Greninja from the demo?

TyLogic

Well I use to like Empoleon because I always forced myself to choose the Water-type starter. It made NO sense to me that Metal Claw was the only move it could learn via level up. Prinplup doesn't even have claws I shouldn't have to teach it Steel Wing with a TM. IMO it's moveset was kind of weird. (Or maybe I wasn't using it right. Maybe Flash Cannon would've been better...) Like you said, it doesn't really look suited for land, but it still looks nice.

I TOTALLY choose Turtwig now (I think). I got lucky. My first Turtwig was Hasty so I didn't have to worry so much about speed like most others would have to. (I assume)

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Finally we got the official reveals of the Alola starters' middle stages. The best thing I can say regarding Brionne is that I'm now convinced not to choose Popplio as my Moon version starter. Torracat looks amazing however and so does Dartrix. :3

Infernape55

Some Sketchy Guy
If you've seen earlier discussions, you would that Dartrix could be inspired by Robin Hood in his early years. When he was the son of an earl and of course acted snobby like a rich kid. Rowlet3 is basically Robin Hoods end result when it finally got his crap together and tried to be a hero.

In terms of Robin Hood characters, I'm almost positive that Dartrix is supposed to be Will Scarlet. He's almost always depicted as a hot-headed teenager who's concerned with his looks. The character uses swords, apparently, but throwing knives or darts was probably the best way to bridge Dartrix to Rowlet3. This was one of those inspirations where I saw Dartrix, thought of Will Scarlet, and I was like "Yeah, Robin Hood it is."

Personally I'd be happy if the leaks were real since I love Beltigre (made-up name I know, but I like it), but that "secret shared with Rockruff" thing is still throwing me off so I don't want to get my hopes up.

TyLogic

I don't understand how Torracat's bell is comparable to Litten3's belt. The only thing they have in common is that they are on fire. The bell isn't even attached to anything on Torracat's neck. It's just kind of hangin' out (literally). In my opinion, Torracat is only comparable to Litten3 as a whole in that Torracat's forelegs are more developed than it's hindlegs. Also, Torracat seems to be the most simple of the three. All of the Litten-line is the most simple of the bunch in my opinion...

Akashin

Wynaut just use Ash-Greninja from the demo?

I can't speak for yuoke, but if breeding for a Froakie with Battle Bond (or at least a Froakie that will become a Greninja with Battle Bond) is possible, I'd much rather have a low level Froakie to go through the game with than keeping an at minimum level 36 Greninja for my team.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I don't understand how Torracat's bell is comparable to Litten3's belt. The only thing they have in common is that they are on fire. The bell isn't even attached to anything on Torracat's neck. It's just kind of hangin' out (literally). In my opinion, Torracat is only comparable to Litten3 as a whole in that Torracat's forelegs are more developed than it's hindlegs. Also, Torracat seems to be the most simple of the three. All of the Litten-line is the most simple of the bunch in my opinion...
Mainly because they are both accessories worn by Litten that it uses to attack.

And they're both on fire/hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.