• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Interestingly enough, pink as a faminine color is more recent history than you'd think. It's only been since the 30s or 40s. Before that, pink was often considered a masculine color, especially the bolder pinks, and blue was considered more delicate and feminine.

There was an image going around for a while of a pink Popplio that looked really nice. I also like the previously mentioned white Litten and autumn Rowlet.
I am aware. The "blue for a boy, pink for a girl" trend was started by clothing companies in the early 20th century when big clothing chains and seasonal catalogues first became a thing. It was partially started as an advertising scam to stop people using hand-me-down clothes, because prior to this, baby clothes being gendered would have sounded like a ridiculous idea. You used plain white clothes that could be cleaned easily and then kept them for your next child. Forcing gendered baby clothes meant people were less likely to be able to use the same clothes for their next child. And then as that generation grew up and mass advertising became more ubiquitous, it became part of everyday thinking that blue was a boy's colour and pink girls.

That doesn't change the fact that for most of the last century, and today, pink is seen as stereotypically feminine. Until a majority stop believing it is so, it remains unfortunately true.

Back on topic: as we all know, shiny Pokemon fall into 4 categories: The Cool Ones (Charizard, Zangoose, Greninja), The Identical Ones (Pikachu, Garchomp, Golduck), The Fabulous Ones (Mega Garchomp, Weavile, Swampert), and The Green Ones (Espeon, Tauros, Hitmonlee).

I can definitely see Popplio3 being Fabulous, and I desperately hope it isn't Green. It would be hilarious if it had some black and red "Cool" shiny though. I love when shinies subvert the Pokemon's personality. M-Garchomp is one of my favs.

I want shiny Litten3 to be Fabulously pink. Liepard disappointed me when they didn't go for the pink panther joke, but Litten's line is enough like one to pull it off. Also it would be hilarious to see how all the people raging about Popplio3 being "too girly" react.

I really hope Rowlet3 gets a Cool one, but knowing my luck it will be simultaneously a Green one and an Identical one, just like Torterra -__-

Last edited:

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
I am aware. The "blue for a boy, pink for a girl" trend was started by clothing companies in the early 20th century when big clothing chains and seasonal catalogues first became a thing. It was partially started as an advertising scam to stop people using hand-me-down clothes, because prior to this, baby clothes being gendered would have sounded like a ridiculous idea. You used plain white clothes that could be cleaned easily and then kept them for your next child. Forcing gendered baby clothes meant people were less likely to be able to use the same clothes for their next child. And then as that generation grew up and mass advertising became more ubiquitous, it became part of everyday thinking that blue was a boy's colour and pink girls.

That doesn't change the fact that for most of the last century, and today, pink is seen as stereotypically feminine. Until a majority stop believing it is so, it remains unfortunately true.

Back on topic: as we all know, shiny Pokemon fall into 4 categories: The Cool Ones (Charizard, Zangoose, Greninja), The Identical Ones (Pikachu, Garchomp, Golduck), The Fabulous Ones (Mega Garchomp, Weavile, Swampert), and The Green Ones (Espeon, Tauros, Hitmonlee).

I can definitely see Popplio3 being Fabulous, and I desperately hope it isn't Green. It would be hilarious if it had some black and red "Cool" shiny though. I love when shinies subvert the Pokemon's personality. M-Garchomp is one of my favs.

I want shiny Litten3 to be Fabulously pink. Liepard disappointed me when they didn't go for the pink panther joke, but Litten's line is enough like one to pull it off. Also it would be hilarious to see how all the people raging about Popplio3 being "too girly" react.

I really hope Rowlet3 gets a Cool one, but knowing my luck it will be simultaneously a Green one and an Identical one, just like Torterra -__-

I don't disagree with you, just an interesting bit of trivia not a lot of people are aware of.

I like the shiny categories. While the white Litten shiny would be cool, I'd be down with a bright fuchsia wrestler cat. It would be amusing. I wouldn't mind a sea green Popplio or a white and grey snowy Rowlet either.

Gizmoa

Your category list including "the green ones" made me laugh.

BlackRaven

Go Charizard!!!!
Snow white Shiny Rowlett!!!!

glacialcat

Litten3 Signature Ability: Run In. Speed+50% on first turn after switching.
Litten3 Signature Move: The Pedigree. 80 Physical Fire, 30% chance to paralyze.
Litten3 Signature Held Item: Steel Chair. +30% to Fire and Dark attacks.

:p Really hope they go whole hog on this wrestler gimmick.

- Rowlet3: Sniper, Competitive, Gale Wings, Keen Eye, Big Pecks
- Litten3: No Guard, Intimidate, Tough Claws, Moxie, Limber
- Popplio3: Dancer, Cute Charm, Thick Fat, Wonder Skin, (new ability that powers up Bubble moves Bubble, Bubblebeam, a new poison version, make "frubbles" a move)

Most of these seem plausible to me. Perhaps instead of focusing on Bubble-type moves, Popplio3 could get a reverse of Bulletproof to power up "Ball-type" moves, since it does use its bubbles like balls. Dancer seems appropriate, even though it might step on Oricorio's toes.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
I want this ability just so I have an excuse to call my Litten3 Magnus. And anyone that gets this reference is now my best friend.

Bus

Most of these seem plausible to me. Perhaps instead of focusing on Bubble-type moves, Popplio3 could get a reverse of Bulletproof to power up "Ball-type" moves, since it does use its bubbles like balls. Dancer seems appropriate, even though it might step on Oricorio's toes.

Ooh, now there's an interesting idea...abilities that trigger during different points of battle. It may seem useless to essentially have a 1-time activation (like the first turn its on the field) but that could really provide some interesting strategies. To make up for the fact that their ability only works right at that moment for one turn, I could see it being justified with a huge boost like 50%. They could really do that for just about any stat, too. You could also see a bit of switching around or more interesting U-Turn strategies in order to get multiple uses out of these.

Litten could have Battle Maniac- 50% boost to Attack upon switching in/for the first turn its on the field
Rowlett as a Sniper I could see: Scoped Vision- 100% Accuracy for the first attack upon switching in (so essentially its a free 'Lock-On' just like Mimikyu has a free 'Substitute')
Popplio I could see going several different ways seeing as it has a pretty sleek looking body, so I could see a speed one for it (just like how much water types get that double speed boost from rain dance), so your ability of Run In or Accelerate or some kind of speed name for that one. I could also seeing it being the more defensive of the starters, so something like: Advance Guard- 50% Defense boost (or Special Defense) upon first turn of switching in.

Then of course the other options are things like 50% boost to Critical rate (or, maybe as a super rare ability, a guaranteed Critical hit upon switching in) or...well, I guess thats all of them since 50% boost to evasion, even if for one turn, is ridiculous lol.

As a side note, I know we have had one another ability debuted so far that triggers upon a pokemon switching in (Stakeout), but more in this vain would be really cool. Especially since it seems like we're getting a lot of abilities or moves (like Instruct) are gearing up to make competitive play more interesting.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
Snow white Shiny Rowlett!!!!

I would LOVE that!
Or maybe give it Red Autumn like leaves.

Litten, Yellow with Dark Red stripes like a tiger
Popplio, I don't know? it'll prob be pink.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
I want this ability just so I have an excuse to call my Litten3 Magnus. And anyone that gets this reference is now my best friend.

It's likely a far more specific thing than I can pinpoint, but Magnus was a name that meant 'Great' and was used by Charlemagne and a few other rulers. There's also the Marvel character and the wrestler (whom I know nothing about).

... I suppose this information was unnecessary but I like researching new things haha.

If the starters get alternate abilities:

- Rowlett3: Overcoat (because of his cloak), Sniper, or Skill Link (because he's a skilled archer who can fire shots quickly although that's unrealistic in rl)
- Popplio3: Swift swim or Dancer (seems to fit its dex entry)
- Litten3: Big Pecks (hehehe :) )

B. Thunder Tiger

Litten3 Signature Ability: Predator. Speed+50% on first turn after switching.
Litten3 Signature Move: Hellfire. 80 Physical Fire, 30% chance to paralyze.
Litten3 Signature Held Item: Obsidian Glass. +30% to Fire and Dark attacks.

Fixed it for you, xD!

Hopefully they do get split evos in the leak it Said Rockruff would evolve into a werewolf which was true, but it didn't mention it evolving into an alternate form hope to arceus there is still hope for a split masculine popplio final evo and hope it's a kirlia to gallade situation.

glacialcat

Litten3 Signature Ability: Predator. Speed+50% on first turn after switching.
Litten3 Signature Move: Hellfire. 80 Physical Fire, 30% chance to paralyze.
Litten3 Signature Held Item: Obsidian Glass. +30% to Fire and Dark attacks.

Fixed it for you, xD!

:p Except the entire reason I suggested all of these were for wrestling puns, so literally the opposite of fixed! Run In in particular is an amazing one!

And come on, wrestler cat? Pedigree? It is perfect.

Steel chair was just for fun though, not a serious suggestion there.

Last edited:

B. Thunder Tiger

:p Except the entire reason I suggested all of these were for wrestling puns, so literally the opposite of fixed! Run In in particular is an amazing one!

And come on, wrestler cat? Pedigree? It is perfect.

Steel chair was just for fun though, not a serious suggestion there.

Oh....oopsy! xD. Didn't know that. Well then, maybe its a good for a quad-like form that's more feral and beastly, if there were split forms.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
It's likely a far more specific thing than I can pinpoint, but Magnus was a name that meant 'Great' and was used by Charlemagne and a few other rulers. There's also the Marvel character and the wrestler (whom I know nothing about).

... I suppose this information was unnecessary but I like researching new things haha.
Haha, 'fraid not, but nice try. There is a really fantastic DnD podcast called The Adventure Zone, where one of the characters is called Magnus Burnsides. He sort of accidentally created a catchphrase for himself which is "Magnus rushes in." An ability called "Rush In" can't conjur up anything but that in my head. (Also Liften's mane makes for some magnificent sideburns.)

Bariokie

rock dog
Hopefully they do get split evos in the leak it Said Rockruff would evolve into a werewolf which was true, but it didn't mention it evolving into an alternate form hope to arceus there is still hope for a split masculine popplio final evo and hope it's a kirlia to gallade situation.

Really hope so, Im 100% sure they wouldnt make popplio look like that if he were to evolve into a feminine looking only evolution line.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
Please stop assigning human gender-norms to fictional animals.

I swear...people do NOT complain this much when a Pokemon that can be both genders looks more masculine.

Please stop assigning human gender-norms to fictional animals.

I swear...people do NOT complain this much when a Pokemon that can be both genders looks more masculine.

I agree. The Machamp line anyone? Never seen anyone complain there, but Male Gardevoir and Male Lopbunny get all kinds of hate.

PKMN KING

Ozymandias
I agree. The Machamp line anyone? Never seen anyone complain there, but Male Gardevoir and Male Lopbunny get all kinds of hate.

If I have a female Machamp I just call her Michelle Rodriguez...
A male Gardevoir...especially when it's shiny and mega...Dave Navarro?
Male Lopunny...Duracell?

Wadeledge

Till all are One
If you're really that concerned about your Popplio evolving into something you consider too "girly" you have options: a) Don't pick Popplio, b) Don't evolve Popplio, c) Don't use your starter, d) Pick Popplio, evolve him, and imagine he's in an 80's hair band.

Status
Not open for further replies.