• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
I like the ideas of more exotic ideas for starters myself.
I have liked the concept of a grass/flying bird starter, so I will say what I think about that. I personally would like a more atypical bird, like perhaps a Cassowary or something like that (the closest to that is the Doduo line, but it is not really that close). The Cassowary does live in forested areas, so that would fit with the grass part. It is a large, flightless bird, so there is the flying part (yes, I have thought that a bird Pokémon like this does not have to be part flying. I was going off the grass/flying idea, so I went with something like this).
But yes, I like this type combination for a starter, and I feel that a more unique idea would be more interesting and give us a nice change of pace.

Or a Woodpecker. I like that idea as well.

Aielyn

I like the ideas of more exotic ideas for starters myself.
I have liked the concept of a grass/flying bird starter, so I will say what I think about that. I personally would like a more atypical bird, like perhaps a Cassowary or something like that (the closest to that is the Doduo line, but it is not really that close). The Cassowary does live in forested areas, so that would fit with the grass part. It is a large, flightless bird, so there is the flying part (yes, I have thought that a bird Pokémon like this does not have to be part flying. I was going off the grass/flying idea, so I went with something like this).
But yes, I like this type combination for a starter, and I feel that a more unique idea would be more interesting and give us a nice change of pace.

Or a Woodpecker. I like that idea as well.

The Kiwi would be a perfect choice of Grass/Flying bird starter. It's flightless (which is appropriate if it's a starter), has an appearance that would work well if modified to have grass in place of feathers, and has a natural association to make through a common name - the Kiwi Fruit (also known as Chinese Gooseberry). Add in a bit of Cassowary or Emu as it evolves to make it feel more "powerful" (the Kiwi doesn't look very threatening).

johno1995

The problem with that is that starters really need to feel like they're "cuddly" at the start, and a water/bug type isn't likely to be cuddly. There most certainly needs to be a Water/Bug family that doesn't lose its Water type (like Surskit), but I don't think it makes sense for a starter. Same reason why I didn't suggest a Fire/Bug pokemon based on a firefly for my idea for a Fire starter.

I agree with this sentiment, but I think that a Bug type does have the ability to look cuddly (Surskit honestly does haha!). However, the Water/Bug starter doesn't necessarily have to start out Water/Bug. I think, especially if it were to be based on the "water bear" microorganism, part of the appeal/surprise would be that it starts off as this adorable and cuddly (yet generic) bear and then eventually gain insect features and look more like what its actually based on as it evolves.

Having a starter that starts out immediately as Grass/Flying, however, seems like it could be viable for a peacock/falcon/whatever bird starter!

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
The Kiwi would be a perfect choice of Grass/Flying bird starter. It's flightless (which is appropriate if it's a starter), has an appearance that would work well if modified to have grass in place of feathers, and has a natural association to make through a common name - the Kiwi Fruit (also known as Chinese Gooseberry). Add in a bit of Cassowary or Emu as it evolves to make it feel more "powerful" (the Kiwi doesn't look very threatening).

I did not even think of the Kiwi. Nice idea. Depending on the location of the games, it could be a good choice for the bird (especially if it does turn out to be like either the Hawaii or Southeastern Asia area ideas going around now). (I forgot where the Kiwi comes from at the moment, but I suspect it could work for these.)
Combining various flightless birds through evolution is an interesting concept as well.

Soleli

Your right about the Kiwi, as much as i love a Peacock Pokemon Kiwi would make a lot of sense especially if its Hawaii

Golden_Arcanine

As long as they don't have some useless type/movepool combination, I'm okay with whatever they roll out with. I remember when GSC rolled out and we got this cool gator looking Pokemon, but its stats didn't match up at all with it's movepool. And then the Snivy line up had a strong defensive stats, but not enough support moves.

Red and Blue

I wonder if they will use new types instead of the usual grass, fire, and water

aguilas_hhh

A critical hit!
I just want:
Fire > Fire/Ghost > Fire/Ghost or Fire/Poison
Grass > Grass/Electric > Grass/Electric
Water > Water/Fairy > Water/Fairy

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
what a very small part of me wants:
Fire > Fire/Psychic > Fire/Psychic
Water > Water/Fighting > Water/Fighting
Grass > Grass/Dark > Grass/Dark
probably won't happen since it looks too much like a rehash of gen 6 especially with the fire/psychic hybrid
here is another combination I would like to see:
Fire > Fire > Fire/Dragon
Water > Water > Water/???
Grass > Grass > Grass/???
in other words I like fire types and couldn't come up with any ideas for the other two types

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
I agree with a grass bird, but not a full flyer.
so lets go crazy, maybe...

Grass - Bittern/heron - its theme its based around reeds - final typing: Grass/Water

Water - Sea Anemone - Starts off super cute, but slowly incorporates elements of deep sea vents - Final typing: Water/Fire

Fire - Big Horn sheep - Its belly is a coal furnace that creates fire for explosive headbutts, eventually the coal starts to spread onto its body - Final typing: Fire/Grass

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
A grass starter becoming Grass/Fire, fire starter becoming Fire/Water and water starter becoming Water/Grass would be cool. They would all be neutral to each other.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I'd like to see a kiwi grass starter that evolves into some kind of giant badass bird like this:
View attachment 15292

I would love a Grass type Kiwi Bird as a starter! :D Really creative!

But honestly, my main hopes and DREAMS would be: Water/Fairy Dolphin, Grass/Dragon Komodo Dragon and Fire/Dark Wolf. I think these ideas have been stated in earlier pages of this thread but let me tell you how HARD my choice would be if these were the starters (with the above being their final stage typings).

Infernape211

Master of Fire Types
Here are my ideas for the starters:

1) A white tiger cub that evolves into a cool tiger that uses blue fire instead of red. Maybe this one could have a type of Fire/Fairy?

2) I saw some ideas up ahead based on echidnas for grass type starters. I really like the idea of a Grass/Electric echidna.

3) A Water/Poison porpoise?

cubone117

Personally, hope to see them as dual type at the beginning.
I have to agree with the Woodpecker Grass/Flying and Dolphin Water/Psychic ideas going around the forum. Maybe make the Fire type a wolf that is part Dark type.

Bus

Here are my ideas for the starters:

1) A white tiger cub that evolves into a cool tiger that uses blue fire instead of red. Maybe this one could have a type of Fire/Fairy?

2) I saw some ideas up ahead based on echidnas for grass type starters. I really like the idea of a Grass/Electric echidna.

3) A Water/Poison porpoise?

I love he idea of a porpoise/dolphin pokemon, but is there something I'm missing that makes people pair it with poison often? I think this is, like, the 3rd suggestion I've seen so far for a dolphin/porpoise that's water/Poison.

Räven Velish

black lives matter
How about for a Grass/Flying starter it starts off as an Australlian grass parakeet? And then it evolves into a larger parrot, and after that just some giant menacing prehistoric-looking bird of prey

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
Hopefully if we do even get new starters they go down the line of Gen 4 Starters, which arguably was the best when it comes to the collective group of starters. Not one bad poke in terms of design and utility. Not to mention they each had a good secondary typing.

Maybe something like:

Grass->Grass->Grass/Steel
-Elephant Based Pokemon
-Evolves at level 30
-Highest stat being Special Defense, focuses mainly on Physical Attack
-With moves like Seed Bomb, Earthquake, Wood Hammer, Iron Head etc.

Fire->Fire->Fire/Fairy
-Gryphon based Pokemon
-Evolves at level 32
-Highest stat being Speed, but can go as a mixed attacker
-With moves like Playrough, FireBlast, Drill peck etc

Water->Water/Dragon->Water/Dragon
-Sea Dragon based Pokemon
-Evolves at level 36
-Highest stat being HP, focuses mainly on Special Attack
-With Moves like Surf, Dragon Pulse, Dragon Breath etc.

How about for a Grass/Flying starter it starts off as an Australlian grass parakeet? And then it evolves into a larger parrot, and after that just some giant menacing prehistoric-looking bird of prey

You mean like this:
View attachment 15300

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.