• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I agree and most likely I'll use Scald, Moonblast?, Ice Beam and Psychic/Psyshock? for my Primarina's moveset.

I'm not too sure it will get Psychic/Psyshock (though that would be nice), but Moonblast is a strong possibility, as is Moonlight, given Primarina and Brionne's tendency to perform in the moonlight.

Paul1985

Ana de Armas fan
I'm not too sure it will get Psychic/Psyshock (though that would be nice), but Moonblast is a strong possibility, as is Moonlight, given Primarina and Brionne's tendency to perform in the moonlight.

I agree.

I'm still hoping Primarina's Sparkling Aria will have some use other than healing burns like the Power being at least 90 but at the moment Scald, Hydro Cannon and Surf seem more useful at the moment for a water tye move for Primarina in my opinion.

Bus

I agree.

I'm still hoping Primarina's Sparkling Aria will have some use other than healing burns like the Power being at least 90 but at the moment Scald, Hydro Cannon and Surf seem more useful at the moment for a water tye move for Primarina in my opinion.

It might work like 'Wake-up Slap' where it has like 60bp, but doubles to 120 if target is asleep and wakes them up. Sparkling Aria might double in power if they're already burned in return for healing said burn at the end.

As for my starter history:
Gen 1: I used all three at various points and ended up liking Squirtle the most
Gen 2: Cyndaquil all the way; I love typhlosion!
Gen 3: n/a (I didnt like any of these starters)
Gen 4: Piplup was my favorite, but I loved the other two as well
Gen 5: n/a (I dont hate these like Gen 3's, but I dont have a favorite either...maybe Emboar if I have to choose)
Gen 6: Froakie (I tried multiple times to use Fennekin and I always dumped it before gym 2...I just dont like it, sadly)
Gen 7: I'm planning on using Litten (I chose him the moment the starters were revealed), but I won't be able to decide on a favorite of this gen till I try each of them

Baggie_Saiyan

For me I've used every starter at least once up to Gen 5. Only played through DP once with Chimchar but did a HG and managed to have both Empoleon and Torterra. Gen 5 only ever used Grass. Gen 6 only ever used Water. Those were the first two gens I didn't love all the starters.

2dtyplosion

I guess I mostly pick grass starters. Every other gen I end up picking the grass type

Gen 1 Venusaur
Gen 2 Typhlosion
Gen 3 Sceptile
Gen 4 Empoleon
Gen 5 Serperior
Gen 6 Greninja
Gen 7 Decidueye

Was originally going to pick Incineroar but as it gets closer to release I'm just liking it less.

palkia901

I found this on Smogon Forum. Someone has calculated the hp stats range of starters:

Rowlet: 68 HP (considered as the most convincing)
Dartrix: 74-91
Litten: 39-45
Torracat: 64-74
Incineroar: 83-98
Popplio: 49-53
Brionne: 49-61

Rsr57

I have no pattern although i get grass more often.

Gen 1: Fire.
Gen 2: Grass.
Gen 3: Grass.
Gen 4: Water. But i don't really like any of them.
Gen 5: Grass. Snivy line is my favourite of the starters ones.
Gen 6: Grass, but now i would choose fire.
Gen 7: Unsure. The first one that caught my attention was Litten, but Popplio grow on me not much later. Torracat is the only one of the middle forms which I like. Buy Decidueye is a fantastic concept and easily my favourite of the final forms (altough i like the three of them).So I have Litten as my overall favourite line, Decidueye as (by far) my favourite final evo of the three(but my least favourites first and middle forms), and Popplio and Primarina, which have been growing on me for a lot of time and the only water starters i ever liked.

Last edited:

john90

I found this on Smogon Forum. Someone has calculated the hp stats range of starters:

Rowlet: 68 HP (considered as the most convincing)
Dartrix: 74-91
Litten: 39-45
Torracat: 64-74
Incineroar: 83-98
Popplio: 49-53
Brionne: 49-61

Yeah, this seems accurate. Popplio will have 50 and Brionne 60 most likely. I hope Primarina will have 80, but with Incineroar already over 83 and Decidueye probably over 100 I think Primarina will not go over 78 (cause usually each gen we have a starter with less then 80 base HP). I think the line will go this way:

Popplio: 50-40-60-60-60-45
Brionne: 60-50-80-80-80-60
Primarina: 75-65-105-105-110-70

Rowlet: 68/55/40/55/40/55
Dartrix: 91/75/50/75/50/75
Decidueye: 110/105/60/105/60/90

Litten: 45/65/50/45/40/65
Torracat: 65/90/70/60/50/80
Incineroar: 90/115/85/80/60/100

Last edited:

Jadgirl04

Lilac Dungeoneer
I don't have any particular preferences, but it looks like I don't pick water often lol

Gen 1- Grass
Gen 2- Water
Gen 3- Fire (though I picked grass for ORAS)
Gen 4- Grass
Gen 5- Fire (first, but then grass in BW2 and water when I replayed)
Gen 6- Fire (would probably pick otherwise nowadays)
Gen 7- Grass + Water ( getting both games this time round, Grass is maining on Sun)

Pretty evenly split between grass and fire, poor water-type starters though, I never seem to like them much ; ;

Wadeledge

Till all are One
Gen 1 - Water
Gen 2 - Water
Gen 3 - Fire
Gen 4 - Fire
Gen 5 - Grass/Water (picked Snivy but had a friend trade me an Oshawott egg)
Gen 6 - Grass
Gen 7 - Grass

Kind of amazing that Grass has now tied Water for me...If I don't pick the grass starter I rarely even use a grass type on my team...

Bus

Yeah, this seems accurate. Popplio will have 50 and Brionne 60 most likely. I hope Primarina will have 80, but with Incineroar already over 83 and Decidueye probably over 100 I think Primarina will not go over 78 (cause usually each gen we have a starter with less then 80 base HP). I think the line will go this way:

Popplio: 50-40-60-60-60-45
Brionne: 60-50-80-80-80-60
Primarina: 75-65-105-105-110-70

Rowlet: 68/55/40/55/40/55
Dartrix: 91/75/50/75/50/75
Decidueye: 110/105/60/105/60/90

Litten: 45/65/50/45/40/65
Torracat: 65/90/70/60/50/80
Incineroar: 90/115/85/80/60/100

Wow, are we really expecting the bird to have that much health? I honestly would have pegged it as having the least at first glance. I would have thought Primarina would have been the one with the health, but that's probably just because Im picturing others like it; like Dewgong or Walrein.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
Wow, are we really expecting the bird to have that much health? I honestly would have pegged it as having the least at first glance. I would have thought Primarina would have been the one with the health, but that's probably just because Im picturing others like it; like Dewgong or Walrein.

I think Rowlet has appeared with pretty high HP for it's level so people are extrapolating off of that.

john90

Yeah, we saw at least 4 Rowlet at different levels with different HP. So 67-68 is pretty accurate. We saw Dartrix just once I think, but starting from 67 makes 74-91 pretty accurate too.

Gen 1: Grass, because Bulbasaur makes the game easy-mode. I've tried all three starters, and Bulbasaur is just the easiest one to work with.
Gen 2: Water. It was initially going to be Grass, but then I discovered that Meganium is weak. After many resets and playthrus of Gold and Crystal, I finally settled on Totodile.
Gen 3: Fire. Torchic has always been adorable, and Blaziken has always been awesome. His HA and his Mega make him incredibly powerful!
Gen 4: Fire, because they kinda forced it upon you in DP. Platinum kinda fixed it, but they still only gave you a handful of additional options. It was OK, tho, because Infernape was actually better than Blaziken was.
Gen 5: Grass AND Water. I initially got W1 and played as the female trainer, who started with Snivy. In W2, I played as myself and picked Oshawott.
Gen 6: Fire, because foxes are awesome, and mages are incredibly powerful classes in most fantasy RPGs. It's a shame Delphox got the short end of the stick, competitively.
Gen 7: Grass, because (1.) I haven't picked the Grass starter (for my main character, anyway) since Gen 1, and (2.) Rowlet is adorable, and Decidueye is amazing! I was not expecting Grass/Ghost!

Aleh

«Last Hope»
Gen I Grass
Gen II Grass
Gen III Fire
Gen IV Water
Gen V Water
Gen VI Water
Gen VII Grass

Strangely Fire is my least picked type but I like all the first 4 Fire starters. Grass, while tied to Water, can boast the fact I never disliked any of them, thing I can't say about the other two types of starters

Bamboosle

1. Squirtle. Still my favorite Pokémon ever.
2. Totodile.
3. Mudkip. (I see a trend here plus it is cute). Number 2 on my favorite starter ever.
4. Chimchar. I wanted a fire type but in Sinnoh there was only Ponyta available and I preferably use new pokemon so CHimchar instead of Piplup. I love Empoleon though)
5. Oshawott. The Generation with my least favorite starters, so back to standard choice: Water. I like how Serperior looks though.
6. Froakie. Yes another Water starter. From the moment it got revealed loved it and I love Greninja. Top 3 Starter Pokemon.
7. ???????. I do not know yet. Decidueye is awesome but it's grass type and I do not combine well with them. But it is the first grass starter I actually like much and wouldn't mind using it. Litten is so CUTE!!!!!! Incineroar has a cool typing too!. And Popplio is Water-type with Primarina being Water-Fairy (I like that combo). So....

willprogresivo

Creepy Uncle
Let's see:

Gen 1: all 3 starters (I played Yellow and used Pikachu and the 3 starters), but if I had played R/B, I'd go for Charizard. I can't really tell whether I actually like Kanto starters or nostalgia just makes me like them. They were the big thing back in 1999 for me.
Gen 2: Grass. Chikorita is adorable, so is Meganium. Cyndaquil and Totodile are very cute, but I dislike their final forms. Too beast-y for me.
Gen 3: Fire. Blaziken was cool, I didn't like the other two at all.
Gen 4: Fire. Chimchar is a cute little monkey, and Infernape looks even better than Blaziken. If I had to choose one Fire/Fighting it'd definitely be Infernape over Blaziken. The other two are pretty ugly.
Gen 5: Grass. I absolutely adore Serperior. Water line sucks and don't even get me started on Blazikenape 3.
Gen 6: Fire. Fennekin is absolutely adorable. I can vividly remember when the XY trailer was announced. I was blown away by its cuteness. Fennec foxes irl are adorable. I get the hate for Delphox, but I really like its witch design and love her battle animations. Chespin line is awful and while Froakie was cute, Greninja is just meh.
Gen 7: I'll admit that I thought Litten was as adorable as Fennekin. I thought, "oh no, yet another fire starter I like, damn it". I'm indifferent to Rowlet, and I didn't think too much of Popplio. But I do not like Incineroar and Primarina is my favorite third-stage starter as of now and I can't wait to use it.

To sum up: I never liked water-type starters and Primarina definitely broke the trend <3 and I use the word adorable way too much.

Last edited:

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
so we got lots of lists of favorite starters. what about least favorite starters?

gen 1: probably venausaur. I by no means hate it, but I was sad that cute little bulbasaur and fun ivysaur ended up so ugly. Same sort of deal with blastoise, where I don't particularly care for its final but like its prevos. charmander has an awkward middle stage as charmelion but I love both its first and final forms.
gen 2: feraligator. Totatdile is adorable but its evos... not so much.
gen 3: Blaziken line. I know lots of people love it, but its my #2 disliked starter
gen 4: chimchar line. I didn't really like any of the starters this gen, but this one definitely takes the cake.
gen 5: emboar line. Not the worst one ever, but I really don't like it.
gen 6: ? Originally I would have said delphox (so dissapointed on the route that fenniken, which was my favorite initial, took, but it's since warmed up to me some and is now tied with chestnaught. Although I don't really see why greninja should be so popular either...
gen 7: incineroar. Hands down #1 hated starter overall for me. But I like its prevos a lot!

So yeah, if you compare it to my favorites list, you can really see how fire type starters went from being my overall #1 best favorites to being my overall #1 most hated very abruptly after gen 2, when they started becoming bipedal (not counting typhlosion here, which looks much more like a quadraped that's standing on its hind legs in its sprites like some animals can do than a true biped), humanoid, and generally fighting or fighting-esqe. (minus delphox, which is extreme on the other traits)..

Have any of you had an extreme change in your liking of starters of a specific type like this?

Sarefan

Hylden General.
I have used all the starters eventually for my 3 characters, but untill now I've always picked the Water starter in my first game. This will be the very first time that I'm not going to pick Water for my first playthrough since in my own headcannon Primarina doesn't fit him.
From the moment I saw Rowlett, he stood out for me the most but I also wanter Popplio because I hate breaking traditions. But with the speculated leaks back then and more time went over it, I've finally setteled with Rowlett.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Here's my starters lineup:

I: Squirtle. Always loved this little turtle and I think the cannon shell is a really original idea. I think I was... 5 or 6 years old when I discovered Pokémon through a board game (didn't actually play Pokémon until Diamond and Pearl). Squirtle was the Pokémon in this game I was always eager to get!
II: Chikorita. I was slightly influenced by the animé for this starter. I always found Meganium to have an AMAZING look. I love her brachiosaurus-esque appearance as well as the gorgeous blooming flower around her neck.
III: Torchic. So far the only Fire starter that dominates the other two for me. I almost entirely made my choice because of the basic stage: I love chicks so much. I grew to like Blaziken a lot as a result.
IV: Piplup. First starter I have ever picked! Penguins used to be some of my favorite animals (I still love them today). I didn't find Chimchar all that appealing back then and while I like Turtwig a lot, Piplup's charm just won me over.
V: Oshawott & Snivy. I cannot believe this tie has happened to many people as well! I thought I was a desperate case. Snivy used ot be my favorite but when the games came out, I somehow fell in love with Oshawott. Overall, I'd say Oshawott is my favorite fifth generation starter. Thank god they made a sequel to BW so I could rightfully use Snivy as well!
VI: Chespin. When the starters were first reveal, Chespin was my initial pick. There was some odd appeal to it that I could not really explain. This decision lasted the entire wait for XY, even though Fennekin gave me some trouble!
VII: Rowlet. I love birds and Rowlet was an automatic pick for me as well. When the trademark names were leaked, I had hope to go for Litten as I love cats, but it didn't quite appeal me like Rowlet did. Its final evolution just seals the entire deal for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.