• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

future.newyorker

Exactly. Owls are all about death and wisdom, and between Decidueye and Noctowl, it would seem we have both themes covered. The only reason the stilt owl hypothesis exists is because of people who desperately wanted to keep the "All Grass Starter Final Evos are based on pre-historic creatures" theory alive.

Oh, and the red around the eyes is likely due to influence from the brown wood owl, who also looks like it's wearing a hood: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strix_(genus)#/media/File:Brown_wood_owl_arp.jpg

Isn't Serperior just based on a snake though? And what is Chesnaught supposed to be based on?

glacialcat

Isn't Serperior just based on a snake though? And what is Chesnaught supposed to be based on?

The people who make this argument tend to suggest Serperior is based on Titanoboa (despite the fact Titanoboa grew up to 42 feet long and Serperior's 11 feet is really just 'as big as the biggest anacondas grow') and Chesnaught is a Glyptodont (despite glyptodont being ancient relatives to armadillos, not hedgehogs, and lacking several notable traits of them).

Exactly. Owls are all about death and wisdom, and between Decidueye and Noctowl, it would seem we have both themes covered. The only reason the stilt owl hypothesis exists is because of people who desperately wanted to keep the "All Grass Starter Final Evos are based on pre-historic creatures" theory alive.

Oh, and the red around the eyes is likely due to influence from the brown wood owl, who also looks like it's wearing a hood: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strix_(genus)#/media/File:Brown_wood_owl_arp.jpg

That is a good point about the brown wood owl, it does share traits. Still, I think the tawny-browed owl looks so strikingly similar to Decidueye's facial markings and coloration that it might have played some part in it's inspiration. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Pulsatrix_koeniswaldiana_-Parque_Estadual_da_Serra_da_Cantareira%2C_Sao_Paulo%2C_Brasil-8.jpg/800px-Pulsatrix_koeniswaldiana_-Parque_Estadual_da_Serra_da_Cantareira%2C_Sao_Paulo%2C_Brasil-8.jpg. Of course we'll probably never know for certain the complete story behind it's inspiration.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
That is a good point about the brown wood owl, it does share traits. Still, I think the tawny-browed owl looks so strikingly similar to Decidueye's facial markings and coloration that it might have played some part in it's inspiration. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Pulsatrix_koeniswaldiana_-Parque_Estadual_da_Serra_da_Cantareira%2C_Sao_Paulo%2C_Brasil-8.jpg/800px-Pulsatrix_koeniswaldiana_-Parque_Estadual_da_Serra_da_Cantareira%2C_Sao_Paulo%2C_Brasil-8.jpg. Of course we'll probably never know for certain the complete story behind it's inspiration.

True. And the brown wood-owl came to mind for me, not just because its eyes glow red in the right light, but also because they are known to have similar markings to those of the tawny-browed owl, seen here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown...y_Bird_Sanctuary,_Welimada,_Sri_Lanka_-8a.jpg), and obviously the wood aspect of the name lends to a Grass-Typing. But yes, other than the barn owl inspiration (Rowlet looks exactly like a barn owlet), we may never know the exact mindset behind Decudeye's design.

Legendary Dreams

Sorry to bring the subject back to starter trends, but my trend for favorite starters apparently has gone by "Grass, Fire, Water". Note that this only applies when asked generally which is my favorite starter of each generation and doesn't actually reflect which starter I pick for the game proper, I'm the kind of person who prioritizes team composition (no type repeats) over favorites for the in-game. Starters do get the comparison-advantage first (basically I see if there's another Pokemon of my favorite final evolution's type that I favor more, if there isn't, I'll pick that starter. If there is and there's a better fit in another starter, I'll go with the other one instead). I may have least favorites but I don't particularly make choices against them because of that (unless it's for online battles and they're just that bad competitively).

I'm not surprised why the original question went off-track - people like to state the reasons for their favorites and guess what, I'm not bothering to resist the urge of mine to do so as well, so here they are. I generally decide my favorites by their final evolution rather than the basics.

1) Venusaur - I was young back then I just followed the guide (which said Bulbasaur makes life easier). I don't deny there's nostalgia, but it helped I also liked supporting Venusaur as the underdog against the more-popular Charizard and Blastoise back then (well no statistics, but the general consensus felt like that back then and probably still marginally now), even if I have to admit if asked purely from a non-Pokemon general point Venusaur did indeed have least interesting design visually (but favorites don't care).

2) Typhlosion - I didn't like how overly-happy Meganium was compared to all other 5 existing starters then and Feraligatr always felt awkwardly designed in both sprite and art, even if I liked its concept. Meanwhile while Typhlosion wasn't outright vocally disliked (to be fair communication then wasn't great either), it did get comparisons to Charizard in particular and I felt it was an underdog because Gen 2 was pitted against Gen 1 even back then rather than against its own generation.

3) Swampert - I was admittedly out of the game when Ruby & Sapphire was in (and only returned then because of Leafgreen honestly), my entire bias for Swampert was mainly because a Cousin had Ruby back then I was just entirely influenced by his decisions back then that when deja vu happened in Gen 6, I went for Omega Ruby and Swampert. I do feel Blaziken was a rehash of Charizard when it came to hype (because people stopped comparing generations as much as Gen 2 suffered from) and Sceptile was just passable (and it was a Reptile fighting against Venusaur so my own personal bias comparions kicked in).

4) Torterra - This was the only generation I completely skipped out on. I just liked its design to be reminiscent of Venusaur (ironic considering Sceptile's case, but I guess it was simply because of different times). Empoleon gave me the awkward design feeling I got from Feraligatr and while some people didn't like Infernape for the typing-repeat, the sheer lack of fire-types in the region lessened that to the point I didn't really hear that dislike.

5) Emboar - The generation I "returned". OH BOY did the typing-repeat backlash hit hard on this one making Emboar the obvious underdog. It didn't help I was largely absent from the two generations prior exactly so I didn't have that typing-annoyance, but even that generation felt like a reboot of Gen 1, except the Grass & Fire starters switched places. I did pity Oshawott for a while, but eventually the entire line just felt neutral to me, somewhat like Blastoise. Note from this point I already recognized the trends in my favorites, so from Gen 6 on I'm not even sure whether I'm choosing favorites to keep the trend going on or not.

6) Greninja - I said deja vu for Gen 6 when I commented on Gen 3 because I skipped out on X/Y (I just didn't like how bland the story was compared to the entirely of Gen 5). I'm admittedly pretty neutral to all of them, but Greninja purely got the pick for its Hidden Ability which while I felt was "okay" for Kecleon, but great for a starter... I might have been just trying to continue the trend (considering Greninja might be the "most popular" of the three instead of the underdog in Gen 6 due to exposure), but the whole Generation felt so bland that I actually looked at the competitive side of things for this generation.

7) Decidueye - I don't have the competitive data yet and while I don't dislike Incineroar and Primarina for the common reasons people do (it would be refreshing for a non bipedal fire-starter though and the gender-aligned thing has been going around for generations already), purely from the visual design perspective, Decidueye does indeed hold the coolest design for me. While I did compare weaknesses when deciding for in-game purposes, it doesn't actually really affect my favorites (Tyranitar and Volcarona being some my favorites), so Decidueye retained its typings, the design would have still won me over (of course, it changed types and that's a bonus for post-game usage)... the only reason it's not being picked in-game is because I wanted to use Mimikyu more and well, they clash.

My favorites for Pokemon have always been weird - I do like Incineroar's typing and I like Lycanroc/Mightyena (canine Pokemon), so by all logic I should have liked Houndoom... yet I'm neutral to it, mainly because my brain can't seem to process personality for Houndoom as well as it can for the 3 Pokemon I mentioned and as a result it just lost character to me. I even felt its design was "generic" as a result (funny considering Mightyena should have been even moreso).

kawaiiconcept

TOP OF THE MORNIN'
The people who make this argument tend to suggest Serperior is based on Titanoboa (despite the fact Titanoboa grew up to 42 feet long and Serperior's 11 feet is really just 'as big as the biggest anacondas grow') and Chesnaught is a Glyptodont (despite glyptodont being ancient relatives to armadillos, not hedgehogs, and lacking several notable traits of them).

well
spme people just want to draw connections where there are none.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
well

Yes, yes they did. That's called "apophenia" aka the human tendency to perceive meaningful patterns within random data, and fandoms thrive on it :p

Sakuraba

Yes, yes they did. That's called "apophenia" aka the human tendency to perceive meaningful patterns within random data, and fandoms thrive on it :p

Probably because it allows for them to predict what the future holds. Another human tendency to always seek to know what it doesn't.

BTW, that owl is the most creepy thing I've seen. If it's not fit of a Ghost-Type, I don't know what is.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Probably because it allows for them to predict what the future holds. Another human tendency to always seek to know what it doesn't.

BTW, that owl is the most creepy thing I've seen. If it's not fit of a Ghost-Type, I don't know what is.

I know, right? That is definitely a murder owl if I've ever seen one. Decidueye is just filled to the brim with ghostliness when you look into it.

Sakuraba

Also, now that we have a Ghost and a Fairy starter, what types we don't have? We don't have Ice nor Rock. Dragon if we don't count Megas. What else?

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Also, now that we have a Ghost and a Fairy starter, what types we don't have? We don't have Ice nor Rock. Dragon if we don't count Megas. What else?

Ok, let's see...Ice, Rock, Dragon (sans Megas), Electric (not counting good ole' Sparklesqueak), Bug, and Normal

Dragonite Fan

I dont think we will get a Dragon starter outside of mega's. It Resists all three base starter types, making for an extremely unbalanced starter triangle (although they could make the other two fairy and ice as a countermeasure, or make all 3 dragons, but the whole thing just seems needlessly restrictive to me.)

Least to Most likley in my opinion:
6.Normal (Just Don't see it. There has been a growing trend of making mammal based 'mons part normal, but even the more mammalian starters seem to exclude this.)
5. Dragon (See above Drago-Rant)
4. Electric (Maybe it's 'cause of aforementioned Shockycheeks, but I kind of see electric as a 4th separated base starter type. To me Grass/Electric would pretty much be like Grass/Fire.)
3. Ice (Here things start to become far more likely. Ice is very easily thematically pared with Water, and Grass is not much of a stretch [Fire is kind of a different story though] It's worth noting that ice has type interactions with all base Starter types)
2.Rock ( A fair amount of potential design wise with all three types.However, for some strange reason my brain treats Rock somewhat similarly to Electric- As a separated base starter type. I know, it's weird. Maybe it's because Rock also has type interactions with all base Starter types)
1. Bug ( I just really think this type has the most potential for a cool yet plausible design wise )

Again, Just my opinion.

Creyk

Imagine a fire bug starter. I wonder what would it fit from the horoscope theme they have going on.
It could be so cool
We don't need a grass bug though. We already have it and those weaknesses are too much, too much!

GDK

Imagine a fire bug starter. I wonder what would it fit from the horoscope theme they have going on.
It could be so cool
We don't need a grass bug though. We already have it and those weaknesses are too much, too much!

Water bug would be cool, it's rare and stuff (well maybe not in this gen but whatever) fire bug is 4 times weak to rock.

TyLogic

well

Well, in their defense, there was a pattern until generation 5. And in my opinion, Grass-type starter Pokemon sharing a theme for 4 generations is too much of a coincidence, though, like I said, the trend seems to be broken.

Anyways, I just thought of something. Do the starters have a secret anymore? I thought that they would reveal the secret when they revealed the final evolutions, but that didn't happen. Is the secret that they have signature moves? (That's kind of lame in my opinion)

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
Unless rowlets final evolution isnt very strong which I highly doudt I will be using it in my sun version, assuming thats my second version. Of course I will be using popplio in my main version.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Anyways, I just thought of something. Do the starters have a secret anymore? I thought that they would reveal the secret when they revealed the final evolutions, but that didn't happen. Is the secret that they have signature moves? (That's kind of lame in my opinion)
Maybe there's something we still don't know about them?

TyLogic

Maybe there's something we still don't know about them?

I hope that's the case. I really wanted them to not give in and officially reveal the starters final evolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.