• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Incineroar may not get its own unique HA, but it does get two exclusive moves while the other starters only get one, so maybe that makes up for it?

john90

Okay, after the aneurysm of seeing the stats on every pokemon this gen, I've come into hesitant peace with it, and hope for the best of every pokemon this gen. As for my Incineroar, the best movset I'll have for it will be Darkest Lariat, Flame Charge, Bulk Up, Brick Break/Earthquake.

What's the point of using it with those moves? Blaziken or Infernape can do better. Give it something useful like fake out, outrage, throat chop and sword dance/flare blitz.

So Primarina gets access to Psychic, Energy Ball, Moon Blast, Perish Song, Water Hyper Voice and Echoed Voice, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball, Scald and Dazzling Gleam. Now it has SE coverage on 12 types: Fighting/Dark/Dragon (MoonBlast), Water (Energy Ball), Grass/Flying (Ice Beam), Poison (Psychic), Fire/Rock/Ground (Scald or Hyper Voice or Sparkling Aria), Ghost/Psychic (Shadow Ball).

Incineroar may not get its own unique HA, but it does get two exclusive moves while the other starters only get one, so maybe that makes up for it?

Weavile can learn throat chop too.

Last edited:

.Aerodactyl.

I'm actually okay with them base stats. Especially for Torracat, it's viable with an eviolite and let's me never have to even consider Inceneroar :)

2dtyplosion

Im cool with the weird stats of the starters and pokemon this gen. Maybe gf is trying ways to make slower pokemon still be able to compete.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Weavile can learn throat chop too.
Huh. That's weird then. Wonder why they decided not to give Incineroar a unique HA.

On another note, I'm also a little bummed that Primarina seemingly doesn't get a unique Z-Move but Decidueye and Incineroar do. :( I was looking forward to seeing a different animation of it but instead it looks like Sparkling Aria just becomes Hydro Vortex.

https://paste.ee/r/mvJ70

At least, that's what this looks like.

EDIT: Never mind the spoiler, I didn't realize those were the Ghost and Dark Z-Moves. That makes me feel better.

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Huh. That's weird then. Wonder why they decided not to give Incineroar a unique HA.

On another note, I'm also a little bummed that Primarina seemingly doesn't get a unique Z-Move but Decidueye and Incineroar do. :( I was looking forward to seeing a different animation of it but instead it looks like Sparkling Aria just becomes Hydro Vortex.

EDIT: Never mind the spoiler, I didn't realize those were the Ghost and Dark Z-Moves. That makes me feel better.
I'm pretty sure a separate item dump showed Primarinium.

john90

Actually it has the strongest Z-move among the three:
Oceanic Operetta
The user, Primarina, summons a massive amount of \nwater using its Z-Power and attacks the target with \nfull force.
Water
Special
195 Power
1 PP
Adjacent Pokémon

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Yeah, I realize that. So many leaks all over the place, its hard to keep track of them all. xD

What about Incineroar?

john90

Yeah, I realize that. So many leaks all over the place, its hard to keep track of them all. xD

What about Incineroar?

Sinister Arrow Raid
The user, Decidueye, creates countless arrows\nusing its Z-Power and shoots the target with\nfull force.
Ghost
Physical
180 Power
1 PP
Adjacent Pokémon

Malicious Moonsault
The user, Incineroar, strengthens its body using\nits Z-Power and crashes into the target with\nfull force.
Dark
Physical
180 Power
1 PP
Adjacent Pokémon
Flags 0x1

Oceanic Operetta
The user, Primarina, summons a massive amount of \nwater using its Z-Power and attacks the target with \nfull force.
Water
Special
195 Power
1 PP
Adjacent Pokémon

flygon1509

I think starters always keep roughly the same stat spread throughout their evolution line (for example, among gen VI starters, Chespin line consistently have the highest HP, Att and Def, Fennekin Sp Def and Sp Att, and Froakie Speed). What if this time GF changed up? For example, Speed: Litten>Rowlet but Decidueye>Incineroar, HP: Rowlet>Litten but Incineroar>Decidueye.

So I was right!

john90

What kind of Pokemon is Primarina stat wise?

It's a bulkier but slower Gardevoir. A slow special attacker/wall with great coverage but lack of recover. If it had 90 defense and 60 attack it would have been perfect. Probably it will gain recover or something through Move tutor in the future. Its ability is good. Stab Water Hyper Voice is just good. Even choise specs + echoed voice is good.
Incineroar is exactly a Swampert, the point it that Swampert can perform better with earthquake and brick break having just one weakness and speed boost blaziken or Infernape can do better with flare blitz, etc. Its movepoll should be something like Fake out, Will o wisp, Darkest Latriat, Flare Blitz (a sort of wall breaker with the help of intimidating).
Decidueye is just bad. Not good even in trick room. Its stats are really bad. Its ability is meh and does not support it offensivly. The Anchor has better stats, better ability and the same trapping move + stab on steel moves.

Arcamenel

Shiny Hunter
It's a bulkier but slower Gardevoir. A slow special attacker/wall with great coverage but lack of recover. If it had 90 defense and 60 attack it would have been perfect. Probably it will gain recover or something through Move tutor in the future. Its ability is good. Stab Water Hyper Voice is just good. Even choise specs + echoed voice is good.
Incineroar is exactly a Swampert, the point it that Swampert can perform better with earthquake and brick break having just one weakness and speed boost blaziken or Infernape can do better with flare blitz, etc. Its movepoll should be something like Fake out, Will o wisp, Darkest Latriat, Flare Blitz (a sort of wall breaker with the help of intimidating).
Decidueye is just bad. Not good even in trick room. Its stats are really bad. Its ability is meh and does not support it offensivly. The Anchor has better stats, better ability and the same trapping move + stab on steel moves.

Thanks for the information. I made the perfect decision then.

aerial_ace

Really disappointed with the way decidueye turned out. His HA is hot garbage it has good offensive options and if they just swapped his satt stats with speed this would be a solid mon. But now it is not bulky enough to be a wall and it is too slow to be effective offensively. Giving a starter that much focus on satt and giving it literally 2 special attacks is just so bad :(
Incineroar and primarina look solid but decidueye is such a let down :( design wise it is one of the best starters but it looks like it is not going to be competetively viable at all. Like all my favourite starters are so bad competetively ( meganium, torterra and the only good one is sceptile only because of its mega)

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Most starters in general aren't very good competitively to be fair. And the ones that are are only good because of amazing HAs or Megas.

BlitzGirl41

Most starters in general aren't very good competitively to be fair. And the ones that are are only good because of amazing HAs or Megas.

True. People should base their opinion on a Starter on whether they overall like it or not. Thinking purely about competitive play is restrictive. All I care about is that Decidueye has a really nice looking design and a type combo that mixes up the Starter trend (actually, all three do), making it unique.

Gohankuten

Well I have decided now that Primarina is gonna be on my team. Sure it means my team is gonna have 3 Water Types but it's all good since I have coverage pokemon for Electric and Grass types lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.