• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kito-kun

Slayer of Cookies :Y
Alas they're on a note pad back at my parents house, but maybe when I go home for this weekend to watch our cats I can do so! Thanks for the kind words though :'3c

I think some of the earlier idea were awesome too! Especially the wolf and feline ideas some had - perfect opportunity given the sun/moon theme we are privy to. I also really enjoyed the Pangolin idea a few pages back, such an amazing organism that few really know about.

ninijatt

Half, ninja, half cat, all attitude
I can't wait for this new adventure :3

After we got the Strange Souvenir I started toying around/doodling my own tropical region, or rather, hopes for the subsequent gen. The idea of a coastal/island centered region was really fresh to me coming off of the urban-heavy regions of Unova and Kalos. I had also hoped for some dashings of rain forest and near-Australian themes in terms of Pokemon.

My ideas for starters don't quite mesh well in terms of the secondary typings but I really fell in love with the designs behind them.

For the Grass starter I wanted something closer to the mammal realm - I ended up doodling a koala/red panda-esq creature that eventually gained a grass/fairy typing. The idea of a mammal/rodent inspired grass starter seemed to work fairly well for Chespin so I think they could replicate it once more o3o And there are plenty of plant/flora tie-ins to pursue from hibiscus or coconuts to eucalyptus and ferns. The fairy typing was purely out of desire on my part - love me some grass and fairy types x3

The Water Starters have always kinda been multi-environmental for the most part yeah? Not all have been amphibious necessarily but certainly they've all been able to make it just fine on dry land and also in the brine as pointed out earlier in the topic. I actually like the idea of having a purely aquatic starter (I mean... it's pokemon, surely if a Basculin can make it work on dry land surely some other aquatic-focused pokemon could.) I know a lot of people here love the idea of a dolphin starter which sounds cool but I doodled this little jellyfish and fell in love with him - the concept behind the line was jellyfish + tropical drinks so he'd have like a piece of fruit in his 'umbrella' or maybe an evolution could be a man-o-war style jelly with a melon wedge and a straw poking out. I thought the idea of a Water/Poison or MAYBE Water/Ice would be cool.

The fire starter was more an after thought and only came to my mind after staring at all the others. I personally think a non-reptilian or non-mammalian pokemon would be awesome - like in this case I thought a fire ant would be cool. Something that both pushes the boundaries of typical starter designs plus I really like the looks of the honeypot ant from Australia - I can just picture smoke or lava bubbling out from his abdomen x3 The only problem is I don't see how this could be anything other then Fire/Bug which... kinda breaks the type triangles a bit? I dunno ;w;

Either way, assuming this locale is tropical based I think we're in store for some really cool starters!

Starters secondary types are by no means bound to a type triangle. Gen 6 was the only one to do this, actually. Water/Grass would be cool for the Jellyfish since he's got fruit.

And for those who want the starters to have unique typings the only possible ones we got are

Water/Normal

Grass/Fire

Fire/Poison

Fire/Ice

Fire/Fairy

Fire/Grass(The grass starter is out of luck if so)

For the record, type order means nothing to me. For instance, Rotom-M is Electric/Grass so Grass/Electric would not be considered a unique type.

Last edited:

Faunaat

Bibarel is Normal/Water. :)

DarkDragonSpyro

All I Want is These Pokemon:

A Fire and Rock Rhinoceros Pokemon
A Grass and Ground Giant Muskateer Cat
A Water and Dragon Imperial Serpent

Sarefan

Hylden General.
I'm not actually a fan of the Dolphin Water starter idea, I really like my water starters to be able to walk on land.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
We already do have Mightyena though, which is practically the same thing

As I understand it Mightyena is mainly based on a hyena while having some wolf traits. I want something that is undeniably a wolf.
We can have more than one wolf like Pokemon. Just like we have more than one rabbit, crocodile, mouse/rat, pig, etc...
I'm not actually a fan of the Dolphin Water starter idea, I really like my water starters to be able to walk on land.

So does Gamefreak, that's why if we get a dolphin pokemon it will most assuredly not be the starter. You can quote me on that.

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
We can have more than one wolf like Pokemon. Just like we have more than one rabbit, crocodile, mouse/rat, pig, etc...

So does Gamefreak, that's why if we get a dolphin pokemon it will most assuredly not be the starter. You can quote me on that.

They can always give some legs to the dolphin starter like they did with the walking snake.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
They can always give some legs to the dolphin starter like they did with the walking snake.

True but even then snakes are land based animals, dolphins are not. Look for something that can naturally walk on land and swim in the water. Just spitballing...maybe a hippo?

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
When people they say they want starters with Unique types, they mean Type combinations that no other Starter pokemon has had...

Not necessarily. Some people really do just want entirely unique types. I would definitely welcome that. Blaziken, Sceptile (mega form), Empoleon, and Torterra were completely unique typings when they were introduced. There's no reason the next starters can't be uniquely typed (except for the Water starter since every Water type combo has been done). Makes me want them to do a new type triangle so we can get a bunch of unique stuff.

We could get Psychic-Fighting-Dark.
With those types, we still don't have:
Psychic/Electric
Psychic/Bug
Fighting/Fairy
Fighting/Ground (seems oddly obvious to have not been done)
Fighting/Electric
Fighting/Ghost
Fighting/Dragon
Dark/Normal
Dark/Electric (why so few Electric dual types???)
Dark/Bug
Dark/Fairy

As for the traditional type trio, we still don't have:
Fire/Grass
Fire/Poison
Fire/Fairy
Fire/Ice

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
True but even then snakes are land based animals, dolphins are not. Look for something that can naturally walk on land and swim in the water. Just spitballing...maybe a hippo?

Dolphin idea could be worked around if they based it more on Dolphin ancestors before they became fully aquatic? Or perhaps more like a Pleiosaur with sturdy legs. If concepts for that look good, it's a possibility.

Thunderfox

Not necessarily. Some people really do just want entirely unique types. I would definitely welcome that. Blaziken, Sceptile (mega form), Empoleon, and Torterra were completely unique typings when they were introduced. There's no reason the next starters can't be uniquely typed (except for the Water starter since every Water type combo has been done). Makes me want them to do a new type triangle so we can get a bunch of unique stuff.

Yeah, I should've said "Generally" my bad.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Please refrain from posting "leaks" from unreliable sources, such as 4chan.
Before posting, try asking a mod.

Sarefan

Hylden General.
Dolphin idea could be worked around if they based it more on Dolphin ancestors before they became fully aquatic? Or perhaps more like a Pleiosaur with sturdy legs. If concepts for that look good, it's a possibility.
A plesiosaur with legs would just look like a regular Sauropod.

Sarefan

Hylden General.
This is what I'm thinking of. Looks similar to a Sauropod yes. But webbed feet and sleek design lend it aquatic characteristics. Not far beyond the realm of possibility since Bulbasaur/Chikortia families have inspirations from dinosaurs species.
Oh, this one seems pretty cool yeah. Haven't heard of this kind of dinosaur. I'd love to see this one!

Type-wise, I REALLY want to see a Water/Fighting starter already! As a big fan of Fighting types, I'd like a decent Water one that isn't My Little Pony and Isn't Angry Poliwhirl. Grass/Flying would be really fun for grass, if they made a good one. And for the Fire type, a Fire/Rock starter line would be cool, especially if it was super fast. Fire/Rock would be a really good glass cannon type of 'mon.

In terms of designs.... a Woodpecker for Grass might be nice as a Grass/Flying (also grass starters tend to usually be dinosaurs/prehistoric creatures of some sort, with Chespin being an early mammal in this analogy) as we haven't had a nice bird representative. Water type I honestly don't have any good ideas for. Fire type could be anything, but a Fire/Rock Ox sounds super interesting and I'd like to see that maybe?

pokemonbw01

Who's the daddy? Me!
I personally like the concept of dual typing for the final stages of starters. But, I don't really think the second typings need to be a trio too. I would rather prefer a trio that is not super effective against each other, eg: Fairy/ Electric/ Ghost or Electric/ Steel/ Dark

1) Fire Starter: I would love to see a Fire/ Fairy. I am interested in the design that GameFreak would go with. A fire/ fairy unicorn would look cool.
2) Water Starter: A water/ ghost is what I'd love to see. Maybe a cute salamander that evolves into a beast.
3) Grass Starter: Grass/Electric pokemon would be cool. Maybe a gorilla that shoots electricity???

Status
Not open for further replies.