• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilligantastic

All this hatred towards Delphox makes me feel bad because it's actually among my favourite Pokémon. I feel like I'm not allowed to like it because of these people.

Please don't feel that way. Like whatever Pokemon you like. Delphox is a great Pokemon and I personally love it. Not everyone needs to jump on the Greninja train (who is by far my least favourite Kalos starter).

Pokemon needs a balanced mix of masculine and feminine designs for the sake of good representation. Children need to know that femininity doesn't equal weakness and masculinity doesn't mean having to solve problems with your fists. Plus, some people just prefer graceful designs, and not just girls. I'm a guy and some of my favourite Pokemon are what would be labelled feminine: Milotic, Espeon, Gardevoir, Lilligant. Not everyone has to like Delphox, but not liking it because it's too 'girly' is a hideous double standard when starters like Feraligatr and Swampert exist.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Personally I'm mostly indifferent towards Delphox. It's Braixen that I absolutely hate. I find it to be the most unappealing Pokemon ever designed. Pokemon like Garbodor might be more ugly than it, but at least it was designed to be ugly on purpose. Braixen just failed in all design aspects as far as I'm concerned.

I just dont want them to do any more biped starters, pokemon are supposed to be based on ANIMALs, and animals dont stand on 2 legs aside from monkeys and kangaroos so

Pokemon aren't animals though. They're magical creatures from a fantasy world. Using that logic I could argue that I don't want Pokemon to learn any attack except for bite and scratch because animals can't breath fire or shoot electricity.

xai

All this hatred towards Delphox makes me feel bad because it's actually among my favourite Pokémon. I feel like I'm not allowed to like it because of these people.

I'm sorry if I made you feel that way... honestly, as long as it's not offensive or hurtful there's no such thing as a bad opinion. Like whatever you like and screw anyone who says you can't. (sorry if that was worded weirdly, i had a hard time figuring out what to say lol)

I think it would be cool if the (possible) fire feline was based off a golden tiger! They look much more firey than your classic orange and black tiger imo.
large.jpg

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
But that's the point entirely. Delphox is based on witches, therefore its feminine look. Have you heard about the Spanish Inquisition? They used to burn alive women who they thought were witches, hence the Fire type I guess. I don't like its design either, but I think it represents the concept perfectly.

I clearly said I know that was the point and it being feminine isnt the problem. Gardevoir is a great design and one of the most feminine. I just hate the design of delphox.

This also coming from someone that was on team froakie from the start.

Orphalesion

I'm not the biggest fan of Greninja either. Already disliked Froakie when it was revealed and the tongue scarf squicks me out :-/ Delphox isn't my favourite pokemon in the world (and about on par with Chestnaught imho) I would have preferred a quadruped, but imho its the best looking fully evolved fire starter (again, just according to my taste)

But well, everybody has their own tastes.

I think it would be cool if the (possible) fire feline was based off a golden tiger! They look much more firey than your classic orange and black tiger imo.
View attachment 15476

That's a gorgeous creature, it's always interesting to see animals with color variation and yes I agree that it looks very firey and more interesting than just orange/black

knightwolf09

I feel like I should apologize. I'm technically the one who started this Delphox argument.

xHSQ4NX.png

I was looking at the image and the trademark dates and I noticed that Nyabby doesn't link with the other two at all. Solgaleo and Lunaala follow right after eachother on the same date, and so do the supposed grass and water starters but Nyabby is a different time and number entirely! Wouldn't they be done altogether?

Perhaps Nyabby isn't the first starter at all but just another cat Pokémon (maybe even the pika clone?). After all, doesn't the name just "meow" and "tabby" put together? There is no mention of fire (correct me if I'm wrong though).

Maybe they were having trouble deciding the name for it. I know when I tried thinking of a name for a fire tiger starter I had major trying to think of something that sounded good. I'd imagine as soon as they settled the finally trademarked later than the others.

Last edited by a moderator:

.Aerodactyl.

Maybe they were having trouble deciding the name for it. I know when I tried thinking of a name for a fire tiger starter I had major trying to think of something that sounded good. I'd imagine as soon as they settled the finally trademarked later than the others.

Nyabby was actually done first! But same logic applies.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
I want to know what the pokemon evolves into before hand. I don't want to choose something that might develop awfully.

During my first playthrough of each game I only use the starters halfway and have more interesting Pokémon at my side from the moment I catch them to the end (Cloyster, Ampharos, Camerupt, Staraptor, Chandelure, Barbaracle for example) . This isn't because I don't like the final stage, in any way, but rather that I find some regional Pokémon to be more interesting than the starters, in my opinion. I've never found a starter to look bad, just have bad attributes like typing, movepool, stats, etc.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
During my first playthrough of each game I only use the starters halfway and have more interesting Pokémon at my side from the moment I catch them to the end (Cloyster, Ampharos, Camerupt, Staraptor, Chandelure, Barbaracle for example) . This isn't because I don't like the final stage, in any way, but rather that I find some regional Pokémon to be more interesting than the starters, in my opinion. I've never found a starter to look bad, just have bad attributes like typing, movepool, stats, etc.

That couldn't be more different from the way I play. I see myself as having a special connection with my starter (for obvious reasons) and refuse to remove it from my primary team in any circumstance.

S/D/J

That couldn't be more different from the way I play. I see myself as having a special connection with my starter (for obvious reasons) and refuse to remove it from my primary team in any circumstance.
That's pretty common, and that's why it's so important for GameFreak to have really good starter designs. Every fan sees what the starters look like, and they are typically the most prominent Mons in advertising outside of the cover legendaries.

Orphalesion

I understand that playstyle. However I'm in the opposite camp. I'd never keep my starter around just because I got it at the beginning of the game, especially if there's more interesting pokemon about. I do however frequently keep them if they are the best option.

Venusaur was one of the better Grass Types in Kanto, Delphox stayed on because I didn't like the available alternatives for the Fire Type. Samurott I just happen to like.

Cyndaquill, Treecko, Turtwig? Gone as soon as the team filled up.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member

knightwolf09

This is actually old.

But anyway... yes, it's fake because it doesn't actually follow Sugimori/Ohmori's art style. Also, the anatomy, proportion and perspective is off.
Also, the URL/filename itself says the "sun-moon-fakes3.jpg"

Oh, didn't see that. I'm stupid. But it's odd that it lines up with the supposed grass starter.

npdargy312

Master Coordinator
I've noticed a pattern when it comes to starters:

Bulbasaur & Turtwig: Neutral
Charmander & Chimchar: Boyish
Squirtle & Piplup: Girlish

Chikorita & Snivy: Girlish
Cyndaquil & Tepig: Neutral
Totodile & Oshawott: Boyish

Treecko & Chespin: Boyish
Torchic & Fennekin: Girlish
Mudkip & Froakie: Neutral

Gen I follows this pattern the least and squirtle fits into the "girlish" category sort of by default, but when just considering the 1st stage of the evolutionary lines this pattern is pretty spot on in guessing the order of starter pokemon that is meant to appeal most to boys, girls, and which type is the 4-legged/squatting 3rd wheel just waiting to shine again the next 2 generations...

Assuming the pattern will once again recycle here is my assumption and prediction/hope for generation 7 starters:

Grass: Neutral - Like Bulbasaur/Turtwig this starter will by 4-legged, I would like something like an elephant based pokemon.
Fire: Boyish - Kangaroo based Pokemon
Water: Girlish - a Capricorn-inspired fish/goat mix

npdargy312

Master Coordinator
Like I said, that one was a bit of a stretch, but overall the pattern is pretty accurate

To be fair if it really was such an important pattern they'd probably carry the traits throughout their evos, yet the only really arguably 'feminine' and non-neutral starter evos are Braixen and Meganium to an extent. And even then, Meganium can just be cute, not feminine.

Orphalesion

I don't really see anything feminine in Snivy...its a lizard/snake thing that looks kind of arrogant/smug. That's all. I don't really think there's a pattern here. Starters on the whole tend to be more on the "masculine" side. As Aromatic Mist said, only Braixen really strikes me as feminine.
And Torchic and Piplup girlish? They just look like baby birds. And both of them evolve into very masculine looking adult birds.

But I'd like to pick up the conversation about how the leaked startes, if they turn out to be the real thing, might develop.

The Gras Owl: Anybody seeing this becoming a different bird? Maybe the old terror bird idea or another flightless bird like an emu or a kessuary? Could end up Grass/Fighting, Grass/Dark etc.

The Fire Cat: Sadly I can't think of anything but a tiger. Which would still be pretty cool. Fire/Psychic would be interesting here, or Fire/Dark, Fire Steel perhaps with metal claws?

The Water SeaL: No idea here honestly, not very interested in seals so never bothered to read much about them.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
But I'd like to pick up the conversation about how the leaked startes, if they turn out to be the real thing, might develop.

The Gras Owl: Anybody seeing this becoming a different bird? Maybe the old terror bird idea or another flightless bird like an emu or a kessuary? Could end up Grass/Fighting, Grass/Dark etc.

The Fire Cat: Sadly I can't think of anything but a tiger. Which would still be pretty cool. Fire/Psychic would be interesting here, or Fire/Dark, Fire Steel perhaps with metal claws?

The Water SeaL: No idea here honestly, not very interested in seals so never bothered to read much about them.

Yeah, tiger seems the only reasonable way for a feline starter to take.
A Grass Owl might become a Night Hawk? I would have to assume it would be Grass/Flying.
A seal might eventually develop into an Orca? With this line they could potentially have a larger aquatic mammal in each evolution stage despite not being closely linked species in the real world

Status
Not open for further replies.