• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orphalesion

I'd really enjoy seeing a mosquito pokemon! Well maybe not enjoy, but I think it would be a good idea.
You could make the first stage bug/water, the second stage can be bug/dark.
Or they can both be bug/dark or bug/water. Personally I think it would be zubat in any marsh area.

As a starter? :p

But yeah mosquito and housefly pokemon are long overdo.

XXD17

Draco rex
More fakes for our eyes to enjoy!

So far, the grass starter as a bird is always into my love-territory. Funny how Green/Brown is a common pattern.

These definitely look better. From the last ones, the grass budgie looked pretty bad and the "seal" brought back nightmares of oshawott. The only one I "liked" was the tiger solely for the fact that it is a tiger. Even though I don't want another sea lion starter, the water starter here looks much better designed. The grass owl is great and the fire cat looks like it could have potential. These are definitely the better fakes IMO.

Last edited:

.Aerodactyl.

These definitely look better. From the last ones, the grass budgie looked pretty bad and the "seal" brought back nightmares of oshawott. The only one I "liked" was the tiger solely for the fact that it is a tiger. ben though I don't want another sea lion starter, the water starter here looks much better designed. The grass owl is great and the fire cat looks like it could have potential. These are definitely the better fakes IMO.

I agree, these fakes I think showcase better what could be done with the animal inspiration and look more like the Sugimori style (but I believe 100% that they are fake).

The only thing I see as bizarre are the fire cat's eyes... I just don't feel they would do such expressionless pupils on a starter. The sea-lion shows how game freak could make an aquatic starter like that mobile on land for the anime and differentiate it from the Samurott line. I could definitely see something like that being done as a starter and ending more like a seal then sea lion (but I do want a maned sea lion inspiration for the final stage!)

Class Zero

We have arrived.
I agree, these fakes I think showcase better what could be done with the animal inspiration and look more like the Sugimori style (but I believe 100% that they are fake).

The only thing I see as bizarre are the fire cat's eyes... I just don't feel they would do such expressionless pupils on a starter. The sea-lion shows how game freak could make an aquatic starter like that mobile on land for the anime and differentiate it from the Samurott line. I could definitely see something like that being done as a starter and ending more like a seal then sea lion (but I do want a maned sea lion inspiration for the final stage!)

Seems I'm one of the few that prefferred the first batch :D
Swap the Fire starters round and the first one would've been fine.

But I still feel the Water starter in the second batch has terrible proportions.. probably because of the lack of neck..

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
As a starter? :p

But yeah mosquito and housefly pokemon are long overdo.

ah wrong topic sorry!!

But I still feel the Water starter in the second batch has terrible proportions.. probably because of the lack of neck..

I really preferred the first batch, except the fire ones as well. I do love the fakes just so we can say who was the closest when they actually come out :p

.Aerodactyl.

I can certainly appreciate aspects of the first batch, I just think over all they didn't emulate the Sugimori style as well as these ones did. I guess the others looked more fake to me... Where as I feel these designs are more likely and more convincing (even though I know both designs to be fake)

That being said, I would prefer a quadraped cat like the first batch over this one, and I liked the playfulness of the bird starter where as this one seems more sombre. I just felt these were drawn better and would be more likely to fool people.

I can also see the point of the Sea Lion's head... But it's also a design choice I could see them doing XD. Especially with those expressive eyes (like the purple coloring too). The other Sea Lion design, while cute, seemed too clownish to me as a starter.

knightwolf09

I can certainly appreciate aspects of the first batch, I just think over all they didn't emulate the Sugimori style as well as these ones did. I guess the others looked more fake to me... Where as I feel these designs are more likely and more convincing (even though I know both designs to be fake)

That being said, I would prefer a quadraped cat like the first batch over this one, and I liked the playfulness of the bird starter where as this one seems more sombre. I just felt these were drawn better and would be more likely to fool people.

I can also see the point of the Sea Lion's head... But it's also a design choice I could see them doing XD. Especially with those expressive eyes (like the purple coloring too). The other Sea Lion design, while cute, seemed too clownish to me as a starter.

I think the artist WAS going for a clownish style. It was a circus seal.

XXD17

Draco rex
I think the artist WAS going for a clownish style. It was a circus seal.

That's also probably why I really disliked that design...I absolutely abhor clowns...when I first saw oshawott, it's nose and freckles reminded me of those Raggedy Anne/ Chuckie dolls, which in turned reminded me of clowns. Thankfully, oshawott didn't evolve into one. Hopefully, our new water starter wouldn't go down that route either.

knightwolf09

That's also probably why I really disliked that design...I absolutely abhor clowns...when I first saw oshawott, it's nose and freckles reminded me of those Raggedy Anne/ Chuckie dolls, which in turned reminded me of clowns. Thankfully, oshawott didn't evolve into one. Hopefully, our new water starter wouldn't go down that route either.

Yup, that would explain it.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I figured I'd create my expected starting moves for the starters:

Grass (if Owl)-

Moves when received:
Tackle
Leer

Learns at level 6:
Razor Leaf

Fire (if cat)-

Moves when received:
Scratch
Growl

Learns at level 6:
Ember

Water (if sea lion/seal)-

Moves when received-
Pound
Tail Whip

Learns at level 6:
Water Gun

Yeah, they're all pretty much expected, but we're running out of things to discuss. XD

clbgolden12

They could always go the XY route and have the Starters come with a STAB move.
They could, but if our first battle ends up being against our main rival that chose the starter that's SE against us, they'll be at an unfair advantage.

Akashin

They could, but if our first battle ends up being against our main rival that chose the starter that's SE against us, they'll be at an unfair advantage.

Given the general lack of difficulty they've been going for, they'd probably just have us fight the one we have an advantage against again.

.Aerodactyl.

I could see types going like this, starting from what I think is most likely and descending from there:

Grass/Flying, Grass/Dark or Grass/Psychic

Fire/Dark, Fire/Steel, Fire,Fire/Electric,

Water/Fighting, Water, Water/Steel

I know suggestions of a burrowing owl have been made, but even if it is a flightless bird with a secondary typing like dark, I think it will still have a lot of access to flying type moves like Roost, Air Slash, etc.

I really do think the water starter is gonna be part fighting (and I wouldn't mind). They seem to favour that as a type pairing combination for starters, but are gladly not always assigning it to the fire starter. I know Ice as a secondary typing is being suggested, but I personally sou t they will do this because ice is weak defensively and if it is a seal/Sea lion inspiration, then adding the ice type would make it too similar to dewgong and the like.

As for the fire type, I know people are saying that electric is too much of a stretch, but I do think its possible (even if its less likely) we had never had a psychic or dark secondary type for a starter before X/Y, so there is a first time for everything. Steel I could see for the claws, but Dark seems the most likely (although I'm not sure what kind of selection tigers have in mythology. They might be seen as more "pure" or "good" beings and the dark typing won't fit. Just plain fire might happen too).

As far as design, I'm hoping for more feral and animal designs as opposed to Bipedal/anthropromorphic designs. I'm not against he latter, it's just that we JUST had that with X/Y and ORAS and feel it will be more refreshing. I like the X/Y starter designs a lot, but prefer more "monster" like Pokémon typically.

knightwolf09

Yup, Grass/Flying, Water/Fighting, and Fire/Electric fits triangle nicely. Plus I really want a fire/electric tiger with lightning bolts for stripes. Instant top 5 right there.

Crazedyanma

Cyclipse
I do love the idea of a Fire/Electric typing, but another scenario could be:

Grass/Electric, Fire/Fairy, and Water/Bug. Those are my personal favorites.

Tbh though, it will eventually become impossible to think of anything unique. According to a certain source: "With the current 18-type system, there are 324 possible ways to assign types to Pokémon, with 171 unique combinations. As of Generation VI, 133 different type combinations have been used."

ninijatt

Half, ninja, half cat, all attitude
Just looked it up out of curiosity, there is one more, Honōguma. There's also some random rabbit that was scrapped. Seeing how Tirtouga brought back the design of that one random turtle more than 10 years later, I could see them basing the design of the starter off Kurusu. It would certainly be interesting.

Isn't it speculated that Honoguma became Teddiursa? That being said, we've still yet to have a fire-type bear anyway. I don't think that rabbit will ever be seeing the light of day, considering how little we know about it. Although if Hawlucha can exist, I don't see why a flower-nosed rabbit can't as far as not making sense in its environment goes.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Isn't it speculated that Honoguma became Teddiursa? That being said, we've still yet to have a fire-type bear anyway. I don't think that rabbit will ever be seeing the light of day, considering how little we know about it. Although if Hawlucha can exist, I don't see why a flower-nosed rabbit can't as far as not making sense in its environment goes.

Going purely off of what Bulbapedia said, which is all I know, it is only specualted to have become Tediursa as much as Kurusu was speculated to have become Spheal. The other three Gold and Silver beta Pokemon seems to have some pretty strong ties to the connected Pokemon, while Kurusu and Honoguma are only speculation.

clbgolden12

I'm guessing it'll be Grass/Flying owl, Fire/Dark tiger, and not sure about the Water one. Could just be pure Water, but if we want another perfect triangle like Kalos it could be Fighting.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
I'm guessing it'll be Grass/Flying owl, Fire/Dark tiger, and not sure about the Water one. Could just be pure Water, but if we want another perfect triangle like Kalos it could be Fighting.

Never again.

But no fo' real, even though we escaped the Fire/Fighting curse we still have had 4 generations with a part Fighting starter, it really needs to take a break and let some unique starter typings come through.

Status
Not open for further replies.