• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

XXD17

Draco rex
The problem isn't Grass/Flying itself, the problem is is that it's terribly predictable.

And seeing as Empoleon and Blaziken are birds and not Flying-Type, I have hope for 7Birb. Granted, owls are capable of fully fledged flight unlike penguins and chickens, but Delibird, another penguin, was Flying-Type and capable of flight, so a flightless bird can have Flying, so maybe a flight-able bird can skip the Flying.

That's not completely true. Delibird can be also partially based on a tufted puffin, which can indeed fly: http://www.tringa.org/images/1724_Tufted_Puffin_06-25-2011_3.jpg . The only one that really came out of left field with the flying type is the doduo line, but I have a theory on why that may be the case: https://optimalotaku.com/xiaoperiors-pokemon-corner-thoughtful-thursday-flys-dilemma/. The only real way I can see this working is if it's based on a burrowing owl or something...

Dragon Pulse

It doesn't really matter if they're based off the same animal or not.
Well, maybe to you it doesn't matter, but to some people like I it does.

Anyway.. how against the Grass starter being Grass/Flying if it's an Owl are people? Like.. it seems like the obvious type, but I've seen Psychic and Fairy suggested a lot more.
I'd like to see it become Grass/Dark. It'd be interesting.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I'd like to see it become Grass/Dark. It'd be interesting.

Since Grass/Dark has seven weaknesses, I'd rather prefer it not to become that because it'll be undesirable and therefore become the most unpopular starter, not just for 7th Gen but likely out of all starters because everyone says "I'm not using it because it goes down to so many types".

Bus

The problem isn't Grass/Flying itself, the problem is is that it's terribly predictable.

And seeing as Empoleon and Blaziken are birds and not Flying-Type, I have hope for 7Birb. Granted, owls are capable of fully fledged flight unlike penguins and chickens, but Delibird, another penguin, was Flying-Type and capable of flight, so a flightless bird can have Flying, so maybe a flight-able bird can skip the Flying.

Both birds that Empoleon and Blaziken are based on are flightless, though; so it makes sense that they aren't labeled as part Flying. An owl, though, is an aerial predator; it routinely flies through the night and hunts. It would seem odd to not have it labeled as flying. Same would have gone for Dodrio; they gave it flying, but because it was based on a flightless bird, nobody would have batted an eye.

EDIT: Again, this is all assuming that the three names we have truly are the starters. It could just be the names of other Legends, a legendary trio, a trio of random pokemon or even three different pseduo-legends (possibly with two of them being version exclusive). We'll hopefully get some closure on it tomorrow, but its still up in the air.

Also, for the sake of fun, the only non-flying owl I could see would be this guy: FFIXENEMYZEMZELETT.gif

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It's eligible for Sky Battles unlike most of those Water types though...

It's likely that it's eligible for Sky Battles simply because it meets the two criteria of being eligible for Sky Battles. 1) It's part Flying-Type, regardless of whether or not it can fly and 2) it's model shows it not sitting on the ground, but this is only for the reason that other Water-Types are shown floating. If Gyarados could actually fly, it would probably be able to learn the move Fly, as it could easily carry a trainer across the region. Heck, it would at least be able to learn some sort of Flying-Type move that isn't Bounce. The only reason it can learn Bounce is because Magikarp are known for bouncing around. The move Bounce itself in no way infers the Pokemon can fly.

As far as I'm aware... Anime canon and Manga canon is separate from Game canon; they're all different universes in their own right.
In the games, Gyarados can take part in Sky Battles, and doesn't have Levitate, and thus can Fly.

Yes, they are different canons, and technically able to depict whatever they want regardless of the others. However, one of the major points of the anime is to show the world of Pokemon in a more organic environment, one that is free from the restraints of a simple turn-based RPG. That makes it the best indication when it comes to things like this.

rocky505

If Gyarados could actually fly, it would probably be able to learn the move Fly

A Pokemon doesn't have to learn Fly to be able to fly. Being in Sky Battles alone and being shown actually flying in the Manga is enough proof that Gyarados can fly. There are many Pokemon who can't learn Fly and yet still can fly.

knightwolf09

A Pokemon doesn't have to learn Fly to be able to fly. Being in Sky Battles alone and being shown actually flying in the Manga is enough proof that Gyarados can fly. There are many Pokemon who can't learn Fly and yet still can fly.

That sound so silly right now.

Manga =/= Game.

Class Zero

We have arrived.

Orphalesion

It seems to be able to float enough to battle high up in the sky. Anybody know the reason for that? Gyarados doesn't have any wings or other means to keep in the air. And it doesn't seem to be like many other water types who are animated as "swimming" in the air because animating them as flapping about would be unappealing. They can't engage in sky battles like Gyarados nor do they have the flying type like it does.

The best guess I can make is that Gyarados is meant to be fashioned after those paper dragons in Chinese parades, which, after all, seem to float.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
Gyarados doesn't fly, he falls with style.

I've always just thought of Gyarados flying like those Chinese Dragons, just kinda slithering through the air :D
And they seem to be quite an obvious inspiration too.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Not all Owls fly. As I said before, the Grass starter could be based on the Cuban Giant Owl, which was believed to be flightless or nearly flightless.

ninijatt

Half, ninja, half cat, all attitude
Status
Not open for further replies.