• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingscr34m11

Hoenn Native
Am I the only one seeing a circus theme for all three?

Rowlett is a ring leader
Litten is a performing tiger
Popplio is obviously a clown

I can't wait to see the evolutions.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
My thoughts:
Rowlet: this reminds me of that fake bar owl Pokemon that has been floating around a while back. Coincidence? I'm neutral towards it. Also why is it part flying? I know that owls can fly, but we haven't had a dual type starter since Bulbasaur.

Litten: cool. I hope it evolves into Fire/Dark saber tooth.

Popplio: it is so derpy, but I like it anyway. It would be funny if it evolves into walrus wearing a rainbow Afro.

according to some people on here we already have enough big cats and with fire typing too.... but I think that idea is awesome and flaming saberteeth sounds great to me. I'd thinking since it has to do with hairballs that it's last evolution may have something to do with hairballs lol. I am so hoping Popplio doesn't evolve into a fat evolution.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
according to some people on here we already have enough big cats and with fire typing too.... but I think that idea is awesome and flaming saberteeth sounds great to me. I'd thinking since it has to do with hairballs that it's last evolution may have something to do with hairballs lol. I am so hoping Popplio doesn't evolve into a fat evolution.

I wouldn't mind a fat evolution, just keep it a sea lion.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
All the starters seem neat but I'm most likely gonna go with Rowlet. Flying type so I don't need to catch another Pokemon to be my flyer (if no eon flute type item), starts out with an all new attack as opposed to Ember and Water Gun, and it's my favorite design of the three.

With all the talk about oil in Litten's description, might Nintendo finally be listening to the fans and giving us our fire/poison type? Also, is Rowlet the first not mono-type first stage starter since Bulbasaur?

knightwolf09

Starter descriptions from site

Rowlet: Rowlet can attack without making a sound! It flies silently through the skies, drawing near to its opponent without being noticed, and then lashing out with powerful kicks. It can also attack from a distance using the razor-sharp leaves that form part of its feathers. Its visual abilities are impressive. The darkness of night is no obstacle to Rowlet! It can twist its neck nearly 180° from front to back so it can see directly behind itself. It has a habit of turning its head in battle to face its Trainer and receive instructions. The move Leafage attacks an opponent by striking it with leaves. Rowlet knows this move from the moment it becomes your partner!

Litten: Logical but also passionate, Litten always remains coolheaded and doesn't show its emotions on the surface. Litten can attack with flaming hairballs! Its fur is rich in oils and immensely flammable. Litten grooms itself by licking its fur, and then uses the collected fur as fuel for fireball attacks! (gross but cool) When the time comes for Litten to shed its old fur, it all burns up in a glorious blaze. The move Ember attacks an opponent by firing a small flame at it. Litten knows this move from the moment it becomes your partner!

Popplio: Popplio's swimming speed is known to exceed 25 mph. It's better at moving in the water than on land. Still, when it's on land, it takes advantage of the elasticity of its balloons to perform acrobatic stunts and jumps. Popplio can snort out balloons made of water! Watch it spin water balloons into a playful battle strategy! Both frivolous and hard-working, Popplio can easily get carried away—unleashing enough power in battle to make quite a spectacle! But Popplio’s determined spirit means it can usually be found practicing hard on its balloon skills. The Water Gun move attacks an opponent by firing a jet of water. Popplio knows this move from the moment it becomes your partner! (So yeah, clown seal.)

storm12

Weather Bearer
Just realized Litten perpetuates the Fire Starter Chinese Zodiac theory :S

Daisukereds

Why pick one when you can Pokebank all 3? :)
Anyway, Litten is my favorite.. but for the love of God, not another frail Houndoom!! Also, not another Samurott. The easiest way to make them popular and useful would be to include type-combinations we haven't seen so far. A Fairy/Water or Psychic/Water has been done already. Aren't ghosts playful? Make it a ghost (as clowns are scary anyway).

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
Had a thought: With all the balloon stuff, popplio could be water/air.

knightwolf09

Anyway, Litten is my favorite.. but for the love of God, not another frail Houndoom!! Also, not another Samurott. The easiest way to make them popular and useful would be to include type-combinations we haven't seen so far. A Fairy/Water or Psychic/Water has been done already. Aren't ghosts playful? Make it a ghost (as clowns are scary anyway).

It'll most likely be part fairy. I gives off that vibe.

Sarefan

Hylden General.
Yeah, a dual type would be awesome. I'm in for Psychic or Fairy though.

Daisukereds

Hey Knightwolf09, didn't you say you wanted a tiger? xD Wishes do come true (or so I expect at least).

Anyway, typing might not be an issue.. but I would hope (for competitive play) that these didn't have to fight for a spot that is already taken (Azumarill comes to mind). Hopefully the stats and abilities will diversify the game a lot more.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
In terms of typing, I think Popplio will definitely gain a second one. GF does repeat animal concepts, and typically when they do, they usually try to differentiate them. So I think as a way to avoid stepping on Samurott's toes, they'll add a secondary type and emphasize its more playful nature, making it the quirky and loveable cousin to Samurott's tough and serious demeanor. So for that, Psychic and Fairy are good options for it.

Litten I think Dark is possible, not because of the color, but because its personality from the description gives off an aloof feel to it. I can easily see that evolve into a more serious personality, making it fitting of the Dark type.

Rowlet I can see keep its typing as I don't think they'll drop it, but we'll see.

Erron Black

The Outlaw

Jellicent says hello.

We've had every single type combination with Water.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
My personal thoughts on the new starters:

Rowlet- I thought it was odd at first, but the little guy's really grown on me. Plus, I've been wanting a Grass type bird for ages & it's a little mind blowing that Rowlet's the fist starter pokémon since Bulbasaur to start off with a secondary type. Right now, after seeing how much of a surprise we got with the Kalos starters' evolutions, I think it'd be pretty cool if Rowlet evolves into something similar to Wan Shi Tong from Avatar: The Last Airbender

Litten- This starter isn't really doing much for me, but it's design and flaming hair balls are cool. Now that the Fire/Fighting "curse" is "broken," I'm just hoping that its final evolution stays a quadruped since that's what I wanted for Fennekin but we didn't end up getting it :p

Popplio- Undoubtedly my favorite of the three. This one has the most charm and personality of the new starters & it looks so appealing.

Last edited:

Crazedyanma

Cyclipse
I'm calling it right now: Litten will, in fact, become the first Fire/Electric dual type this game has ever produced. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.