• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mav-san

F*cking veteran
Well... At first sight they all seemed a bit underwhelming to me. I quickly found the Grass owl to be the better one, but the Water sea lion is just... meh. I find it the most uninspired design, not to mention that it doesn't really bring nothing new. The Fire cat's design felt so weird I could hardly recognize it as a Pokémon, but now I admit it's growing on me, it has a unique kind of cute. I immediately thought the owl would be my choice, and I've always been a Grass-type dude anyway, but I'm not so sure now. I guess I'll have to wait for the evolutions to decide between Fire or Grass.

It may be just me, but for some reason this Generation doesn't feel exactly appealing. I don't know why, but I was much more excited about Gen VI. I fear my child self is dying and being replaced by a grumpy old man who doesn't enjoy the new sheet, and I don't like it. Please, someone help me be excited for this. Don't let me grow old.

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
Ugh, I really hope we don't saddle Litten with the worst defensive type combination imaginable. It doesn't work on Magcargo, and it's probably not going to work on anything else.

Why not? I mean, they put one of the other worst defensive type combos on the Grass starter from the off...

xai

My biggest fear with rowlet is that gf will try to make it defensive. I really doubt that it's typing will change, so I'm just hoping that it'll be speedy and we'll finally get a decent grass/flying type (shaymin-sky doesn't count)

I just rewatched the trailer and I'm starting to like litten a lot more, I think I just got my hopes a bit too high for it. My only real problem with it is it's color scheme as it's a bit too harsh for my liking. Still, I might go with it if rowlet's line dissapoints me. :p

.Aerodactyl.

Popplio is veering too close to clown territory for me tbh and screams the plushie starter. Also I feel like Pupplio would of been a better name since a baby seal is called a pup. I know it's called that cuz it pops bubbles most likely but still.

^Agreed. Just my personal taste. It's the nose and ears that really do it in for me... Even if the ears had been a little different, perhaps showing the inner ear folds...but right now they just look like bulbs sprouting out of him. He's also just too clownish. I can't imagine fighting with this thing. I realize they are trying to differentiate it from Samurott and his solemn warrior tone but this is an extreme in my opinion.

Hopefully, he'll grow into a maned sea lion/leopard seal and become more serious looking.

I also think Rowlet is the fav of Game Freak too. His artwork is just so adorable, with his little head spin. They even drew him in Popplio's art work. I think Rowlet is this gen's froakie. I could even see him evolving into a sleek owl with long crane-like legs like that prehistoric flightless owl (but I think he'll stay flying).

Now that I think about it, Popplio is probably going to be the worst. It already starts out weak to not only Rowlet's grass but flying typing as well. And if it goes water/ice, it only normally resists fire :/ I have a hard time seeing Popplio get any secondary typing tbh, and if he stays pure water, he's gonna be just boring compared to a grass/flying and fire/dark, bothbof which are underused type combos.

Last edited:

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
For those who want Popplio to become Fairy, here's some hope. Popplio is a seal. There is a Scotts-Irish faerie creature known as the Selkie. It is a shapeshifter that takes the form of a seal and can also take the form of a woman. Popplio also has an elastic body as we often see(especially in Pokémon) that shapesifters tend to be squishy and elastic. The other ray of hope for you all is another Scotts-Irish faeire known as the Cú (something), I forgot the last part of its name. It is essentially a mystical dog that resides in rivers. Popplio has a very dog like face and I could see it becoming a dog in later evolutions.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
^Agreed. Just my personal taste. It's the nose and ears that really do it in for me... Even if the ears had been a little different, perhaps showing the inner ear folds...but right now they just look like bulbs sprouting out of him. He's also just to clownish. I can't imagine fighting with this thing. I realize they are trying to differentiate it from Samurott and his solemn warrior tone but this is an exteme in my opinion.

Hopefully, he'll grow info a manned sea lion/leopard seal and become more serious looking.

I also think Rowlet is the fav of Game Freak too. His artwork is just so adorable, with his little head spin. They even drew him in Popplio's art work. I think Rowlet is this gen's froakie. I could even see him evolving into a sleek owl with long crane-like legs like that prehistoric flightless owl (but I think he'll stay flying).

Now that I think about it, Popplio is probably going to be the worst. It already starts out weak to not only Rowlet's grass but flying typing as well. And if it goes water/ice, it only normally resists fire :/ I have a hard time seeing Popplio get any secondary typing.

Plus it even has the clown thing around it's neck lol. Right now he's the most underwhelming for me.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
^Agreed. Just my personal taste. It's the nose and ears that really do it in for me... Even if the ears had been a little different, perhaps showing the inner ear folds...but right now they just look like bulbs sprouting out of him. He's also just too clownish. I can't imagine fighting with this thing. I realize they are trying to differentiate it from Samurott and his solemn warrior tone but this is an extreme in my opinion.

Hopefully, he'll grow into a maned sea lion/leopard seal and become more serious looking.

Now that I think about it, Popplio is probably going to be the worst. It already starts out weak to not only Rowlet's grass but flying typing as well. And if it goes water/ice, it only normally resists fire :/ I have a hard time seeing Popplio get any secondary typing tbh, and if he stays pure water, he's gonna be just boring compared to a grass/flying and fire/dark, bothbof which are underused type combos.

How is it weak to flying type? Its pure water. Also, we've had 3/7 pure water types, give us a dual type.

I can see popplio being more goofy, samurott was a serious sea lion, keep him goofy.

God I love the designs of Rowlet and Litten, even though the fact that their primary colors are not green and red makes my OCD go crazy. Welp, at least we already have Cyndaquil who isn't primarily red so it's fine.

However, I'm not getting hyped until I see their final evolutions. Delphox was really a huge disappointment for me. Tbh, I didn't like any of the final evolutions in gens 5 and 6 except Serperior. Hopefully that doesn't happen with Rowlet and Litten. I also like Popplio, but I'm almost sure I'm not going to like its evolutions because I can't imagine a design as his evolution that is both fitting and up to my taste.

I also feel like the starters feel less "starter-y" than before. I can imagine all three as a regular Pokémon (as in, not a starter) which I can't say for any of the previous starters. I have no idea why though, might be because they have a more unique vibe whereas previous starters felt more generic. Does anyone else feel the same way? I don't think this is particularly a bad thing (maybe even better), just something I have noticed.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
sticking with the fire starter as tradition for me personally(I always start with the fire starter at the beginning of each new generation), bonus points for being a cat (I like cats), as for Rowlet......I know its an owl but at the same time I can't help but feel it also looks like a penguin this is just in my opinion.
Popplio, looks like its going to be somewhat of a goofball.

john90

Everyone hates the water starter at the beginning. Why that?
Everyone hated Oshawott nose, and Froakie nose/bubbles and Popplio nose...Oshawott was wearing a pigiama, Froakie looked like an old man...etc
The water starters are always hated at first while the fire starters have all the hype cause peolpe think they would become some crazy four legs monster....then Samurott and Greninja happened and Emboar and Delphox happened....and things changed.

And by the way...another fire feline? I mean again? After Fennekin, Litleo last generation? Now another cat, and probably another fire lion. Please stop.

Last edited:

CrusherTheFeraligatr

God I love the designs of Rowlet and Litten, even though the fact that their primary colors are not green and red makes my OCD go crazy. Welp, at least we already have Cyndaquil who isn't primarily red so it's fine.

However, I'm not getting hyped until I see their final evolutions. Delphox was really a huge disappointment for me. Tbh, I didn't like any of the final evolutions in gens 5 and 6 except Serperior. Hopefully that doesn't happen with Rowlet and Litten. I also like Popplio, but I'm almost sure I'm not going to like its evolutions because I can't imagine a design as his evolution that is both fitting and up to my taste.

I also feel like the starters feel less "starter-y" than before. I can imagine all three as a regular Pokémon (as in, not a starter) which I can't say for any of the previous starters. I have no idea why though, might be because they have a more unique vibe whereas previous starters felt more generic. Does anyone else feel the same way? I don't think this is particularly a bad thing (maybe even better), just something I have noticed.

Not that I dislike the design, per se, but litten's eyes make it seem like its from an 80s/90s anime.

Popplio: I could hug all day. I ended up not liking any of the starters in xy (Though I loved the games and several pokemon), so I'm banking on this little guy

Rowlet: I don't even like owls, but he's pretty cute.

Any body have any final stat predictions?

Also, if popplio gets some sort of flipping kind of move, I hereby call it!

So far, Rowlet is my fave too. Which is odd since I usually prefer the water type. But Popplio makes me think of Drilbur (which I don't like) and clowns (which I'm afraid of). Litten is okay. But I'll wait till the final evos are revealed/leaked. I used to like Chespin a lot too till Chesnaught was leaked.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi

I feel that they seem a little more "natural" compared to other starters, like you could see an owl that's the spitting image of Rowlet in real life, right down to the colours no problem for example. Whereas something like Bulbasaur takes a lot more imagination for most people. At least to me.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Y'know, popplio could be water/fighting. If he's acrobatic, you'd have to be pretty athletic.

Dragon Pulse

Everyone hated Oshawott nose, and Froakie nose/bubbles and Popplio nose...Oshawott was wearing a pigiama, Froakie looked like an old man...etc
The water starters are always hated at first while the fire starters have all the hype cause peolpe think they would become some crazy four legs monster....then Samurott and Greninja happened and Emboar and Delphox happened....and things changed.

This is so true. Wait for Game Freak to change that around and make Popplio remain a goofball, however.

Toonadri

tbh,guys this gen seems to have a very "diferent" art style than the previous gens,the mons look more colorful,fun,carismatic and curious designs,some people say that the new mons are devianart tier desings...and it's understable that some people see them as too "devianart fakemon" because they have a really diferent tone than the previous gen,i think this gen will focus in new pokemon (i'll be around 130 how i said in the previous post) and a more focus on the exploration,also i think some previous features are coming back in this gen: dexnav,soaring,customization,safari zone (alola it's a tropical region,so imo the most logical thing to put is a safari zone to obtain some untropical old mons.),maybe contests? and maybe the battle frontier in one island.
I see some preevolutions and even a evo this gen fron ann old pokemon...
Now,analyzing the region in general,i think it would be a pretty tropical foresty region with volcanos,beatches,jungles and large mountains...there's a waterfall cave in the first island,maybe it's the first cave.

knightwolf09

What exactly is "starter-y"?

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys

And by the way...another fire feline? I mean again? After Fennekin, Litleo last generation? Now another cat, and probably another fire lion. Please stop.

I actually loved Froakie from the very beginning. I typically go for the starter that looks the best and will offer me the most use in the region. Typically that hasn't been the water starters for me as I usually have a better alternative.

.Aerodactyl.

How is it weak to flying type? Its pure water. Also, we've had 3/7 pure water types, give us a dual type.

I can see popplio being more goofy, samurott was a serious sea lion, keep him goofy.

My bad XD I thought flying was SE against water (but it's grass). I still don't have the whole type chart memorized perfectly!

I don't want Popplio to stay pure water type, I just think he's going to because I can't see another type fitting his design and concept (though I do like the idea of a selkie brought up earlier. I just don't think it fits the clown theme going on and isn't likely).

I should beore clear...I don't necessarily want Popplio to become completely solemn and warrior like, I just don't want him to be too goofy. I like my starters to also have some power and awe behind them. I would just personally be disappointed if Litten evolved into this bad *** fire/dark tiger, Rowlet into the graceful tae kwon do sage owl and then Popplio is just juggling bubbles on a squeaky ball with a fog horn and a bright red nose and afro :/

I can just see potential and different type combos and directions the others can go, but can't see much past clown for Popplio.

Status
Not open for further replies.