• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pokemonbw01

Who's the daddy? Me!
Is it just me or are people lost in Rowlet and Popplio? Litten has been talked minorly. And like I mentioned before, for me its got the most un-pokemonly starter among the 3.

PsychoIncarnate

Is it just me or are people lost in Rowlet and Popplio? Litten has been talked minorly. And like I mentioned before, for me its got the most un-pokemonly starter among the 3.

Poppilo has been talked about for people not liking it mostly though

I think Litten has the most potential. Dark/ Fire tiger. Sounds awesome to me

Where is Rowlet going to go from it's first form? A bigger owl? Eh...

Anyway, the one people cling to at the start is not always the one they stay with in the end. Look at Froakie and Fenniken

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
-has been reading over posts all day regarding the new news-
Here are some of my thoughts.

Popplio: Eh, sure. I will take it. It appears mildly interesting to me, not entirely sure why. I partially like it, but it is most likely the weakest in terms of likeability of the starters for me.
Also...who actually does not at least moderately dislike clowns?

Litten: Whenever I read its name, I keep thinking of Litwick and Litleo. Sure, it has a repetitive beginning of a name, but I still like its name. I like it as well. Probably my second favorite at this point. I hope it gets a nice secondary typing, like dark like others have suggested.

Rowlet: This thing is adorable. My favorite new starter so far of the three. That may change, but for now, I really like it. I love owls, and I feel that a grass/flying type is a nice change of pace for a starter, especially concerning the others we already have of that type from past generations. I just feel this thing is great.

These are only some quick comments. I may end up posting some longer ones sometime, but not at the moment. (Or I may forget to do so. Whatever I feel like doing/when I feel like doing it.)

knightwolf09

What is un-pokemonly even? There's always new and different pokemon yet to be seen or thought of, therefore they don't have a specific look. So that doesn't make sense.

Kalosian

So long
I think all three starters are cool in their own right, but I like Rowlet and Popplio a little better than Litten. They are just so cute. Litten isn't bad, but I like it slightly less than the others. That said, it has already grown on me. Not sure which one(s) I will pick yet, will wait and see until their evolutions are revealed and then make my pick based on which design I like the best just like I did for the Kalos starters three years ago.

.Aerodactyl.

What is un-pokemonly even? There's always new and different pokemon yet to be seen or thought of, therefore they don't have a specific look. So that doesn't make sense.

I think they mean it doesn't look like a typical starter, which I agree with. The colour palette mainly, as well as the facial expression. It looks like a Pokemon, but I never would have guessed it as a starter if you showed it to me alone.

pokemonbw01

Who's the daddy? Me!

Litten looks like a character from other Japanese anime series. It is pretty straightforward. And also, it does not look like a starter at all. Its not the color palette though. Its whiskers, its slender body, everything is a bit off for me. Hopefully it will evolve into something beastier.

Also, why not put a smile on its face? Its a starter after all.

Orphalesion

"Un-pokemonly" is a word people use when they don't like a pokemon design. It really doesn't have any meaning beyond that.

That being said I think Litten actually looks a bit too generic for my tastes, if someone was put it into a lineup with all the other cat pokemon, it would not stand out to me. Though maybe that's just because there are so many house cat pokemon by now...

.Aerodactyl.

Screw the sea lion. I liked Litten first until everyone started memeing the hell out of Rowlet.

Huh. None of them are bipedal humanoids unlike the Kalos starters.

I'm hoping it stays that way :) I'm not against Bipedal starters, but we just had them twice with X/Y and ORAS and I feel more animal-like starters would be refreshing. But I already feel like they are super refreshing. Rowlet and Litten just don't have that typical starter vibe to me, but I love their designs. It makes me optomistic about the future of starters, I feel like Nintendo will break the mold more and more. I can't wait for the fan art work that shows all the starters together... I think more people will see what I mean by Litten and Rowlet not resembling typical starters. They will stand out amongst their fellow fire and grass starters.

Cue the concept art for potential evolutions from fans! I'm excited, I love this part :D Such great discussion and creativity.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while

Oh, there is a group of us that have high hopes for Litten. While my favorite is Rowlet (omg I should call mine Hedgewig!), I think I understand its possible evolution and future typing (yes, I believe it will stay Grass/Flying all throughout).
Earlier some of us discussed hopes for either Fire/Dark or Fire/Poison in its final stage.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Oh, there is a group of us that have high hopes for Litten. While my favorite is Rowlet (omg I should call mine Hedgewig!), I think I understand its possible evolution and future typing (yes, I believe it will stay Grass/Flying all throughout).
Earlier some of us discussed hopes for either Fire/Dark or Fire/Poison in its final stage.

I have moderate hopes for Litten. I would like for it to become a good Pokémon that has a nice dual type, but if it does not end up like that, I would not want to be disappointed.
And yes, I both think and hope that Rowlet will stay grass/flying throughout its evolutions.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I like Rowlet the most too. I'm definitely going to choose it regardless of what its evolutions look like.

But what if it evolves into something you don't like? The final version is one you're stuck with, so I think it's the important one to cast judgment on.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Screw the sea lion. I liked Litten first until everyone started memeing the hell out of Rowlet.

Huh. None of them are bipedal humanoids unlike the Kalos starters.

I'm pretty excited to see if any other new pokemon outshine the starters in terms of fan favorites and cuteness. Right now I am liking the water starter the best but I can't wait for something that takes me attention away.
If they make new megas, I hope these guys have megas, but they dont release any info on them until a bit afterwards.

Aw...seems like poor Popplio's off to a rough start with the fanbase! It's actually my favorite right now - I like how its head/face has this cute puppy look going on.

There's stuff to like about all three though, so I definitely plan on doing playthroughs with each of them eventually.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
I like all of the starters really, it's a hard choice for me to pick what I like the most right now.

Though Rowlet's looking so pleased with itself in it's official art is adorable and slowly winning me over...

Missingno.Fan

Aw...seems like poor Popplio's off to a rough start with the fanbase! It's actually my favorite right now - I like how its head/face has this cute puppy look going on.

There's stuff to like about all three though, so I definitely plan on doing playthroughs with each of them eventually.

I like Popplio too. I am torn between it and Litten for my first starter. I don't hate Rowlet, but I'm not really into owls.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
I have moderate hopes for Litten. I would like for it to become a good Pokémon that has a nice dual type, but if it does not end up like that, I would not want to be disappointed.
And yes, I both think and hope that Rowlet will stay grass/flying throughout its evolutions.

An unpopular option that the designers could take is mono Fire typing. The Fire/Dark typing has a 2x Fighting weakness, 1x Fairy neutrality, 0x Psychic immunity, 2x Ground weakness, and 1/2x Grass resistance. Fire/Poison has a 1/2x Fighting resistance, 1/4x Fairy resistance, 2x Psychic weakness, 4x Ground weakness, and a 1/4x Grass resistance.

Mono Fire has no Fighting nor Psychic weaknesses/resistances so there should be some trade-off for a mono-Fire starter. Maybe frail with low defenses yet has high HP with strong offenses as a means of at least taking 2 SE attacks or 3-4 neutral/resisted attacks before fainting.

Status
Not open for further replies.