• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh, I love all three, and I'm considering breeding off my Rowlet since I'm resetting until it's female so I can name her Hedgewig, so then I can get the other two off of GTS ^v^

Nacreous

Fire trainer
For those who want Popplio to become Fairy, here's some hope. Popplio is a seal. There is a Scotts-Irish faerie creature known as the Selkie. It is a shapeshifter that takes the form of a seal and can also take the form of a woman. Popplio also has an elastic body as we often see(especially in Pokémon) that shapesifters tend to be squishy and elastic. The other ray of hope for you all is another Scotts-Irish faeire known as the Cú (something), I forgot the last part of its name. It is essentially a mystical dog that resides in rivers. Popplio has a very dog like face and I could see it becoming a dog in later evolutions.

Hmm...fascinating.I do think Popplio will become Water/Fairy.And I'm sure it'll learn Play Rough.

Don't we already have one though? 0v0

But anyway, I'm predicting:

Rowlet: Grass/Flying
Litten: Fire/Dark or Fire/Ghost
Popplio: Water/Fairy

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
I really like all three starters, but Litten is for sure my favorite. I just have a soft spot for cats.

I love cats as well, but I have not really been that much of a fan of the past cat Pokémon. Of course having this new one as both being a starter and not being normal type (even though we have had non-normal types for cats before) are good things for it in my opinion.
I sure hope they do well with Litten's evolutions.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Le thoughts:

1. Rowlet- OML, it's frickin adorable. Also, nice to see another starter that has a dual typing from the beginning. I'm guessing it'll stay Grass/Flying.
2. Litten- My choice so far (even though its name is ugh). Probably will turn into a tiger and end with Fire/Dark.
3. Popplio- Pretty cute, but it's currently not my fave. Not sure about its typing, but hopefully it will become bipedal.

mewmew202

I have such a soft spot for barn owls, Rowlet was the perfect Pokemon for me. Though I'm super amused by Litten fighting with inflamed hairballs and Popplio with snot bubbles.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
With stat distributions I speculate:

Rowlet will have Speed and Attack.
Litten will have considerable speed, but low defenses. Attack and Sp. Att may be similar in values (like Samurott).
Poppilo will have the lowest Speed, but will have good defenses.

Orphalesion

Tbh, I love all three, and I'm considering breeding off my Rowlet since I'm resetting until it's female so I can name her Hedgewig, so then I can get the other two off of GTS ^v^

Rofl, great name! I'm tempted to name mine "Sir Rowlet", I know boring, but it just looks so aristocratic with its little bow-tie thinggy ^-^

shac

I loooove the starters!
Rowlet is my favourite, with litten coming to a close second. Poppilo I find weird but he is growing on me. Not a disaster like oshawott, at least. Speaking of, does anyone else think Samurott could easily have been the final form of Poppilo? I find it rather interesting cos I don't think this has ever happened before where a starter looked like it could be from a different starter line.

Rowlet final form I am thinking could be a large barn owl with design similar to Wan Shi Tong from Avatar. Keep Grass/flying
Litten i am hoping will turn into a bi-pedal fighting tiger, like tigress from Kung Fu Panda. Hopefully become part dark in final form. And get flaming whiskers!
Poppilo I don't know where to go with the final form. As long as it's not too clowny or circusy. Hopefully part psy/fairy.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
With stat distributions I speculate:

Rowlet will have Speed and Attack.
Litten will have considerable speed, but low defenses. Attack and Sp. Att may be similar in values (like Samurott).
Poppilo will have the lowest Speed, but will have good defenses.

I feel similarly to you.
I would like something like what you said to happen, but if it does not, I hope that they still work well.

Also, I just looked at your avatar of Litten, then your signature. Just...lol.

KKS-Lapras

Not sure if Rowlet will stay Grass / Flying in its final form, but I hope so.
For Litten I think it shall became Fire / Dark, but not sure if it's a good idea.
Popplio will certainly became Water / Ice.

Rowlet better stay Grass/Flying, it was one of my 3 most wanted starter type combos, and I can still hold out hope, however unlikely, for the other two, Fire/Ground and Water/Flying.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
I'm trying to think of Hidden Abilities for these guys. The Kalos starters got HAs that corresponded to their theme, with Chesnaught getting an ability that negates certain attacks similar to how a soldier/Fighter class can glance certain blows, Delphox got Magician because its a mage, and Greninja got Protean to reinforce the sneaky ninja motif.

Safe to assume these starters will get brand new HAs as well, and if the circus theme theory turns out to be correct, it could open up some interesting ideas.

I.E. Rowlet seems to be based on a circus maestro/ringleader, one that controls how the circus runs with its acts. So, maybe it gets an Ability that serves as a permanent Torment, to prevent the opponent from using the moves it wants to use at its discretion, because Rowlet runs this show here. That could be super useful against mono-attack sets, or certain coverage sets if Rowlet's packing Protect.

Pipplio is a circus seal, evidently. Circus seals perform grand tricks and get rewarded for them with fish on scene. Maybe an ability that rewards Pipplio for nailing critical hits? Maybe with something like a stat buff, or to go with the fish idea, a recovery boost? It would learn moves that come with high-crit rates to make a viable set with the ability - maybe even get a water-type Frost Breath?

Finally, Litten. If going with the circus theme, then Litten is a lion/tiger used for taming tricks. Unlike the circus seals, the felines are often viewed as being more oppressed on stage due to the use of whips to control them....maybe an inverse of Pipplio's ability? It takes a critical hit, it gets an array of stat boosts to get it more focused and battle-ready? And at the same time, because the whip cracks are common, the felines would be used to them, so maybe Litten's ability lets it cut critical hit damage in half, so that the damage doesn't offset the stat boosts. Flash Fire and Water Absorb and Lightningrod completely negate certain attacks, so I don't think turning the boon of critical hits around on its head is a strange idea.

I dunno, I'm really interested to see what they get for HAs. I'd like to be close with my guesses.

Last edited:
Don't we already have one though? 0v0

But anyway, I'm predicting:

Rowlet: Grass/Flying
Litten: Fire/Dark or Fire/Ghost
Popplio: Water/Fairy

I don't think it may be a Fire/Ghost Pokemon, a Ghost is a dead Pokemon, for example, Dawn Stone when used on Snorunt, it kills him to create an Ice/Ghost Pokemon, all Ghost-type pokemon are basically ghosts, revenants, spirits, so I don't think it's relevant to make a starter a Ghost type within an evolution.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Hmm...fascinating.I do think Popplio will become Water/Fairy.And I'm sure it'll learn Play Rough.

You know Grass/Flying-Fire/Poison-Water/Fairy seems okay. While Litten's and Popplio's final stages may have mutual type advantages, with Rowlet's final stage only having an advantage over Popplio's final evo, the starters can be sufficient. Plus, by the time one obtains the final stage of any starter other regional Pokemon are found and the matchups between starters are much less likely to occur.

OMG Hedgewig yasss!

Cuddy

Cyndaquil Master
When I see Litten, I see Cyndaquil. I love the back fur raise up. I also see if this is a Pokemon and not an alternate line of TigerVespamon from Digimon. I also see the comments saying that it could be a dark type, which is all I want, but I can also see poison. It could go either way though.

I don't think it may be a Fire/Ghost Pokemon, a Ghost is a dead Pokemon, for example, Dawn Stone when used on Snorunt, it kills him to create an Ice/Ghost Pokemon, all Ghost-type pokemon are basically ghosts, revenants, spirits, so I don't think it's relevant to make a starter a Ghost type within an evolution.

Its never been said all Ghost-Types are dead though? For example, Gourgheist is never hinted of been a dead anything, just that it has a connection with death. Ghost =/= Dead, Ghost = Death-Related Things, and seemingly Black Magic (Hex, Curse, Destiny Bond)

Which makes sense because Litten somewhat resembles a black cat, associated with witches, and tigers (this is a stretch) are predators.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Does anyone see a mini-antenna symbol on Litten's for head?
Could Fire/Electric or Fire/Steel be on the table for its final evo typing?
Now I'm thinking of its head becoming more lightbulb-like with more of a red glow as it evolves.

Does anyone see a mini-antenna symbol on Litten's for head?
Could Fire/Electric or Fire/Steel be on the table for its final evo typing?
Now I'm thinking of its head becoming more lightbulb-like with more of a red glow as it evolves.

Pretty sure that's just a tabby marking hinting at a tiger evolution, but it could be both, I guess? :?

Neilandio

Its never been said all Ghost-Types are dead though? For example, Gourgheist is never hinted of been a dead anything, just that it has a connection with death. Ghost =/= Dead, Ghost = Death-Related Things, and seemingly Black Magic (Hex, Curse, Destiny Bond)

Which makes sense because Litten somewhat resembles a black cat, associated with witches, and tigers (this is a stretch) are predators.

Gourgheist isn't, but Pumpkaboo is. There is a spirit living inside of pumpkaboo.

Status
Not open for further replies.