• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gourgheist isn't, but Pumpkaboo is. There is a spirit living inside of pumpkaboo.

Even then, Pokemon such as Phantump are just said to be spirits, as are other Ghost-Types. You shouldn't take the Pokedex literally at all.

Does anyone see a mini-antenna symbol on Litten's for head?
Could Fire/Electric or Fire/Steel be on the table for its final evo typing?
Now I'm thinking of its head becoming more lightbulb-like with more of a red glow as it evolves.

I see it more as some generic feline stripes. If anything I kind of see them symbolizing scars, and the large whiskers, the black and red stripes as well as the hairballs reminding me of cannon balls(with the tail as a fuse) give me a bit of a pirate vibe if anything.

SageofTruth

Greninja Assassin
I think all of them will have some speed. Popplio will be faster than people think since it's description states it uses it's bubbles to perform acrobatic feats. I also foresee it turning into some sea lion/dog/bear hybrid. Look at its flippers. He is about to grow two claws. I don't think psy/fairy is where it will go because i foresee it becoming something more ferocious. Think ikkakumon that is where I see this going.

Its never been said all Ghost-Types are dead though? For example, Gourgheist is never hinted of been a dead anything, just that it has a connection with death. Ghost =/= Dead, Ghost = Death-Related Things, and seemingly Black Magic (Hex, Curse, Destiny Bond)

Which makes sense because Litten somewhat resembles a black cat, associated with witches, and tigers (this is a stretch) are predators.

Yes but Gourgheist was already a Ghost-type in its previous form (Pumpkaboo), I'm talking about Pokemon who are not Ghosts and evolve into a Ghost-type : ) Like Snorunt when it evolve into Froslass with Dawn Stone, he dies to became a Ghost-type, here is the description of Froslass in the Pokedex : Legends in snowy regions say that a woman who was lost on an icy mountain was reborn as Froslass.

Reborn : ) so it died, so when a Pokemon is Fire type Pokemon, it can't became a Fire/Ghost unless it dies, when a Pokemon is already a Ghost-type, so it's already a spirit / dead-thing : )

Yes but Gourgheist was already a Ghost-type in its previous form (Pumpkaboo), I'm talking about Pokemon who are not Ghosts and evolve into a Ghost-type : ) Like Snorunt when it evolve into Froslass with Dawn Stone, he dies to became a Ghost-type, here is the description of Froslass in the Pokedex : Legends in snowy regions say that a woman who was lost on an icy mountain was reborn as Froslass.

Reborn : ) so it died, so when a Pokemon is Fire type Pokemon, it can't became a Fire/Ghost unless it dies, when a Pokemon is already a Ghost-type, so it's already a spirit / dead-thing : )

Legends :) so it isn't necessary true.

Also, cat's are said to have nine lives, Ghost could easily fit into the theme.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Pretty sure that's just a tabby marking hinting at a tiger evolution, but it could be both, I guess? :?

If it's both, I think that's a clever move from the designers!
The former could still work, in which I'd still stick with Fire/Dark.

I see it more as some generic feline stripes. If anything I kind of see them symbolizing scars, and the large whiskers, the black and red stripes as well as the hairballs reminding me of cannon balls(with the tail as a fuse) give me a bit of a pirate vibe if anything.

Fire/Dark pirate cat could be cool. Every interpretation is just hyping me up!

I can't wait until the next update, whenever that may be.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
And people were worried that Popplio would be too similar to Oshawott. So far the only real similarities are the amount of waaaaaaaaaaaay premature hate.

knightwolf09

And people were worried that Popplio would be too similar to Oshawott. So far the only real similarities are the amount of waaaaaaaaaaaay premature hate.

People still think it looks similar too Oshawott

KKS-Lapras

I'm trying to think of Hidden Abilities for these guys. The Kalos starters got HAs that corresponded to their theme, with Chesnaught getting an ability that negates certain attacks similar to how a soldier/Fighter class can glance certain blows, Delphox got Magician because its a mage, and Greninja got Protean to reinforce the sneaky ninja motif.

Safe to assume these starters will get brand new HAs as well, and if the circus theme theory turns out to be correct, it could open up some interesting ideas.

I.E. Rowlet seems to be based on a circus maestro/ringleader, one that controls how the circus runs with its acts. So, maybe it gets an Ability that serves as a permanent Torment, to prevent the opponent from using the moves it wants to use at its discretion, because Rowlet runs this show here. That could be super useful against mono-attack sets, or certain coverage sets if Rowlet's packing Protect.

Pipplio is a circus seal, evidently. Circus seals perform grand tricks and get rewarded for them with fish on scene. Maybe an ability that rewards Pipplio for nailing critical hits? Maybe with something like a stat buff, or to go with the fish idea, a recovery boost? It would learn moves that come with high-crit rates to make a viable set with the ability - maybe even get a water-type Frost Breath?

Finally, Litten. If going with the circus theme, then Litten is a lion/tiger used for taming tricks. Unlike the circus seals, the felines are often viewed as being more oppressed on stage due to the use of whips to control them....maybe an inverse of Pipplio's ability? It takes a critical hit, it gets an array of stat boosts to get it more focused and battle-ready? And at the same time, because the whip cracks are common, the felines would be used to them, so maybe Litten's ability lets it cut critical hit damage in half, so that the damage doesn't offset the stat boosts. Flash Fire and Water Absorb and Lightningrod completely negate certain attacks, so I don't think turning the boon of critical hits around on its head is a strange idea.

I dunno, I'm really interested to see what they get for HAs. I'd like to be close with my guesses.

I love the circus idea! Interesting theme, for a region based on tropical things. It seems like it could be a very fun and interactive region.

You know Grass/Flying-Fire/Poison-Water/Fairy seems okay. While Litten's and Popplio's final stages may have mutual type advantages, with Rowlet's final stage only having an advantage over Popplio's final evo, the starters can be sufficient. Plus, by the time one obtains the final stage of any starter other regional Pokemon are found and the matchups between starters are much less likely to occur.

OMG Hedgewig yasss!

I like that trio of starter types, but I think Fire/Dark is more likely then Fire/Poison, based on design as I've seen it and interpreted it thus far.

Naming the Grass starter Hedwig, would make me tear up a bit at first.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
People still think it looks similar too Oshawott

I suppose, but other than being blue (not even the same shade), mammalian, and water-type, there's not much to go on with that. But that's just my opinion. If I was instantly on board with Rowlet the bow-tie owl, Popplio would be my choice. Not that I dislike Litten.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
I'm thinking Litten will become Fire/Poison, personally. And it's not just my natural bias towards Poison-types, either- someone pointed out on GameFAQs that Litten's forehead marking and eyes combine to make some kind of symbol for sulphur. And even before I knew that, I just think it looks the part of something that'll become a Poison-type, personally. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it's something about Litten.

But anyway, Litten's my favorite of the bunch. Even if it's not Fire/Poison in the end, still picking it, no question. That being said, we got a good selection all around- Rowlet's all kinds of cool, and Popplio is one of the cutest Water-types I've seen- but Litten trumps both of them.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
As glad as I am the Grass starter is getting some love, I kind of feel bad for Popplio. Poor thing only has three votes in this poll. D:

Giblie

Dragon Pokemon Fan
Litten is my favorite of the 3 (Love Cats and there hasn't exactly been a cat-like pokemon that I loved yet) and I will be choosing it as my starter, but if it becomes yet another Fire/Fighting and becomes bipedal, I'm not choosing it. Rowlet will probably be my second choice. My only hope is for NONE of them to become part Fighting. Honestly, it's getting ridiculous. We had a Fighting starter since Blaziken; it is time for a change. And the bipedal starters...I'd like more quadraped ones, please.

But for now they are all pretty cute in my opinion! <3

Last edited:

Sylveon48

Not Sylveon Anymore
I plan to pick Litten as long as it doesn't evolve into a Fire/Fighting type. But I assume game freak has learned by this point that we were sick of Fire/Fighting types.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
So the Grass starter is part Flying in it's basic form? That is cool. I can the Water starter evolving into a Water/Ice and the Fire into Fire/Fighting.

Cross_Thunder_Zekrom

I'm trying to think of Hidden Abilities for these guys. The Kalos starters got HAs that corresponded to their theme, with Chesnaught getting an ability that negates certain attacks similar to how a soldier/Fighter class can glance certain blows, Delphox got Magician because its a mage, and Greninja got Protean to reinforce the sneaky ninja motif.

Safe to assume these starters will get brand new HAs as well, and if the circus theme theory turns out to be correct, it could open up some interesting ideas.

I.E. Rowlet seems to be based on a circus maestro/ringleader, one that controls how the circus runs with its acts. So, maybe it gets an Ability that serves as a permanent Torment, to prevent the opponent from using the moves it wants to use at its discretion, because Rowlet runs this show here. That could be super useful against mono-attack sets, or certain coverage sets if Rowlet's packing Protect.

Pipplio is a circus seal, evidently. Circus seals perform grand tricks and get rewarded for them with fish on scene. Maybe an ability that rewards Pipplio for nailing critical hits? Maybe with something like a stat buff, or to go with the fish idea, a recovery boost? It would learn moves that come with high-crit rates to make a viable set with the ability - maybe even get a water-type Frost Breath?

Finally, Litten. If going with the circus theme, then Litten is a lion/tiger used for taming tricks. Unlike the circus seals, the felines are often viewed as being more oppressed on stage due to the use of whips to control them....maybe an inverse of Pipplio's ability? It takes a critical hit, it gets an array of stat boosts to get it more focused and battle-ready? And at the same time, because the whip cracks are common, the felines would be used to them, so maybe Litten's ability lets it cut critical hit damage in half, so that the damage doesn't offset the stat boosts. Flash Fire and Water Absorb and Lightningrod completely negate certain attacks, so I don't think turning the boon of critical hits around on its head is a strange idea.

I dunno, I'm really interested to see what they get for HAs. I'd like to be close with my guesses.

when I Look at the starters' appearances. It really look that theme. I can imagine Rowlet's final stage would have a bit of ringleader's coat and bowtie would probably have a bit more leaves growing. The question would be whether its final evo flightless or not. So maybe Grass/Flying or Grass/Steel though I am really content with the either typings as I love this fella.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
So the Grass starter is part Flying in it's basic form? That is cool. I can the Water starter evolving into a Water/Ice and the Fire into Fire/Fighting.
>Fire/Fighting

Please no. I don't need my precious Litten being plagued by getting part Fighting. Part Dark fits it wayyyyy more.

goodpeople25

Honestly i think they are all great, Rowlet is my fav I'm always drawn to the grass types. But eachone has something i like about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.