• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
I really hope popplio doesnt stay mono water. There have already been 3 of those now, and samurott was so disappointing ib both design and especially with not getting the fighting type like I thought it would. Honestly I almost wouldnt even care whaat the other type was as long as the design is cool. Just please no mono water. If anything, make litten the one not to get a second type.

I'm still backing Water/Psychic :D
Tbh, I'm hoping none of them end up mono.. it's always more interesting having a secondary type.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
If it sticks with that clown theme, I feel like Popplio will grow up to be a Water/Fairy clown. Though there is the chance it becomes some kind of awkward Juggling, martial Arts clown and we get Water/Fighting. If I were to place money on a bet, however, I'd side with it being Water/Fairy.

I would be cool with water/fairy for sure. It's a unique type and could set up for some interesting moves.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
I do have a minor gripe with how Litten is described as passionate but then it goes on to say how it doesn't show emotions... a small thing, but it does feel like a contradiction. Like if you're truly passionate you're not gonna keep it all in.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
I do have a minor gripe with how Litten is described as passionate but then it goes on to say how it doesn't show emotions... a small thing, but it does feel like a contradiction. Like if you're truly passionate you're not gonna keep it all in.

"Passionate but also logical"

That's what it says. It's one of those types that is emotional, but "acts professional" and can keep calm.

B. Thunder Tiger

Just came to drop by again.

I took some thought with my original speculation about Litten hopefully being a Fire/Rock Pokémon, but after seeing comments about the alchemy symbol also referring to Brimstone, as in its hellish representations, I'm starting to feel alright with a possible Fire/Dark type as many people speculate. I came to this conclusion because I remembered that tigers in nature are natural ambush predators, which can fit pretty good with the Dark type symbolism. Furthermore, Tigers, if Litten becomes one at all, are also solitary by nature, which goes well with Litten's personality of not showing its emotions. Adding to this, they're lone hunters and are thought to hunt the most during the night, again a reference to the Dark-type. Combined with the common brimstone associations to hell, as well the reference to the volcanic substance of the same name, I can imagine a Fire/Dark type evo in the vein of being a black volcanic tiger whose black fur could reference to obsidian - black glass made of cooled hardened lava/magma.

In short, I have realized that if Litten ends up evolving into a Fire/Dark type, it can still keep its volcanic theme without being a obvious Fire/Rock type. After all, in most fiction, Hell often gets pictured with volcanoes as well. With that said, consider me a supporter for the Fire/Dark type too, but this doesn't mean I'm straying off my original speculation of Fire/Rock. In other words, I will be cool with either Fire/Rock or Fire/Dark.

Here's a example of what a Fire/Dark type evo for Litten could be in the volcanic theme, if it becomes a tiger that is.
timba_the_lava_tiger_by_azany-d9mub89.jpg

Last edited:

Game2016

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
I think it would be hilarious if Popplio's final form is based on evil clowns like the Joker, Pennywise, Sweet Tooth, etc. and therefore is Water/Dark-type!

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Just fixed it and replaced it with a valid link instead. it should work now.

It's far too realistic for me to fully conceive it, but I get the concept.

I think it would be hilarious if Popplio's final form is based on evil clowns like the Joker, Pennywise, Sweet Tooth, etc. and therefore is Water/Dark-type!

Considering Popplio's comedic look, I'm expecting its final evolution to be sickening.

Pretty much, this gen's Greninja.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
Fell in love with Rowlet right away, but Popplio is also starting to grow on me.

The only one that doesn't appeal to me at all is Litten. Ugliest starter ever imo.

Shraeder

It's Lit
I think it should have been a steel type. Oshawott's design has grown on me in recent years but I agree, its evolutions aren't really that impressive. Plus even if it got Water and Steel it wouldn't compare to Empoleon, its just a good all around pokemon. Empoleon looks intimidating, it has solid stats, and the Steel typing gives it a bit more meat.

Dewott was great, one of my favorite middle evolutions. Samurott was cool and all but was really random and didn't seem logical. The only resemblance it has with Dewott is the shells and whiskers.

knightwolf09

Personally, I can buy the reasoning for Rowlet becoming Grass/Steel. The way it can become more of a knife thrower by having steel feathers would make sense. I can even buy it looking like a prehistoric owl with most long legs to compliment his kicks. However it seems like people are focusing more on looks to guess the typing rather than what moves they can learn to solidify said theory and theme. For example, if Rowlet learns steel wing upon evolving, that can be a huge hint.

Same can be said about Litten. Granted, it's typing can be guessed by pure looks alone, but we can take into account it's move pool to have an even better guess. He gives off a alley cat vibe and the fellas usually fight other ones. So I can see it learning some Dark type moves to defend itself, like sucker punch, feint attack, or even night slash. I never bought the Poison theory only because of the oils in it's fur doesn't instantly point at it being like a pollutant or toxic element. And the sulfur and brimstone symbol I think is an even bigger stretch, because Litten is based on a tabby cat, a cat with stripes, and in many animes, cats with stripes usually have ones on there foreheads exactly like Littens. So I don't think it's a symbol of any kind and you might be looking to far into that.

As for Popplio, the are many elements to it that points out to it becoming part Fairy. For one, every Fairy type has white or pink on their bodies somewhere. Has anybody noticed that? And Popplio has both white and pink on him, which it even more likely. Plus it's playful, happy, and whimsical personality really makes more like Fairy type like Mr.Mime. As for it's move pool, the only moves I can see fitting it is disarming voice and play rough, can they greatly fit to it's style.

Anyway all those are just speculations, but they make the most sense.

Jadgirl04

Lilac Dungeoneer
Just came to drop by again.

I took some thought with my original speculation about Litten hopefully being a Fire/Rock Pokémon, but after seeing comments about the alchemy symbol also referring to Brimstone, as in its hellish representations, I'm starting to feel alright with a possible Fire/Dark type as many people speculate. I came to this conclusion because I remembered that tigers in nature are natural ambush predators, which can fit pretty good with the Dark type symbolism. Furthermore, Tigers, if Litten becomes one at all, are also solitary by nature, which goes well with Litten's personality of not showing its emotions. Adding to this, they're lone hunters and are thought to hunt the most during the night, again a reference to the Dark-type. Combined with the common brimstone associations to hell, as well the reference to the volcanic substance of the same name, I can imagine a Fire/Dark type evo in the vein of being a black volcanic tiger whose black fur could reference to obsidian - black glass made of cooled hardened lava/magma.

In short, I have realized that if Litten ends up evolving into a Fire/Dark type, it can still keep its volcanic theme without being a obvious Fire/Rock type. After all, in most fiction, Hell often gets pictured with volcanoes as well. With that said, consider me a supporter for the Fire/Dark type too, but this doesn't mean I'm straying off my original speculation of Fire/Rock. In other words, I will be cool with either Fire/Rock or Fire/Dark.

Here's a example of what a Fire/Dark type evo for Litten could be in the volcanic theme, if it becomes a tiger that is.
http://azany.deviantart.com/art/Timba-the-Lava-Tiger-582561369
View attachment 15524
A volcano tiger sounds awesome regardless of typing. If there is a valid type triangle between the starters this gen, I'm betting it'd be Steel/Ground/Ice or Flying/Rock/Fighting.

Rowlet could get it's razor sharp leaves theory and get Steel, though I can't imagine many design aspects that would work well with it, Litten can go full magma cat as a Ground type with cooled lava-flows for stripes, and Popplio would become more graceful and sleeker to compliment an Ice typing, maybe getting Ice Shard to match it's speed?

As for the other type triangle, it would work better in context of the other starters; Sinnoh was Steel/Ground/Fighting after all, and Rowlet is already a Flying type. Litten could still be a volcano cat, but Popplio would have to be Fighting type to balance out the triangle, which would be a terrible move IMO. We need a break from Fighting starters for a gen or two, they're everwhere!

This is of course if they go with secondary type triangles! They've only shown up twice so far and I could imagine Popplio staying pure Water-type. Does anyone else have some cool design speculations? =D

knightwolf09

A volcano tiger sounds awesome regardless of typing. If there is a valid type triangle between the starters this gen, I'm betting it'd be Steel/Ground/Ice or Flying/Rock/Fighting.

Rowlet could get it's razor sharp leaves theory and get Steel, though I can't imagine many design aspects that would work well with it, Litten can go full magma cat as a Ground type with cooled lava-flows for stripes, and Popplio would become more graceful and sleeker to compliment an Ice typing, maybe getting Ice Shard to match it's speed?

As for the other type triangle, it would work better in context of the other starters; Sinnoh was Steel/Ground/Fighting after all, and Rowlet is already a Flying type. Litten could still be a volcano cat, but Popplio would have to be Fighting type to balance out the triangle, which would be a terrible move IMO. We need a break from Fighting starters for a gen or two, they're everwhere!

This is of course if they go with secondary type triangles! They've only shown up twice so far and I could imagine Popplio staying pure Water-type. Does anyone else have some cool design speculations? =D

I still think the most viable triangle would be, Steel/Fairy/Dark. It balances out well.

SageofTruth

Greninja Assassin
Popplio is going to become a dog/wolf sea lion thing with 4 limbs. Of all the seal pokemon it is the only one that can stand completely up right. It's tale fin more like feet (clown shoes) than any of its sea lion brethren. He has the head of a weaner dog. its front fins have full range of motion like arms, It's focus is on being an acrobat and found a way to overcome it's ground handicap, and it's front fins have those lines that implying claws are going to develop. It is a sea lion now but I think that will change slightly. He also kind of has an inverted color scheme to oshawott. That's what makes me believe he will evolve to be better suited to land instead of have oshawott evolved for the sea.

Last edited:

Jadgirl04

Lilac Dungeoneer
I still think the most viable triangle would be, Steel/Fairy/Dark. It balances out well.

That could work out pretty well, tbh if it isn't a perfect type triangle then that's next likely.
I thought fairy would be an odd choice for a clown, but if Mr.Mime's one then it looks like circuses in general may be fairy-related. Circus Gym Leader Confirmed! =D

Argghhh I can't wait till we get to see more of their moves! They'd be really useful for guessing more about them

Last edited:

The Super Kid

The Underdog :(
I instantly fell in love with Popplio and I don't see why there is so much hate for it. It also acts a lot like me IRL, both frivolous and hard-working, but for some reason people hate me IRL too XD

And I can see Popplio getting the Swift Swim HA. It's too obvious to ignore.

Here's my expectations of Rowlet, because who can't get enough of starterbirb?

plz don't kill me ;-;

Rowlet-Grass/Flying-Whilst I don't think it's happening, Grass/Steel would also be a fun combo, but it is also my second-most expected type. Grass/Flying because the majority of dual-types stay dual-type, its aerial prowess is highlighted in its bio on the official website, and Bulbasaur, the last dual-type starter, stayed that way. Its strong kicks imply physical attack being its stronger stats, and it'll probably get access to claw moves due to owls being notorious for their strong talons. Its aerial prowess and the owl's way of predation also hints at a high speed stat. Its usage of leaves, similar to throwing knives, make me think its attacks will be along the line of:

Razor Leaf
Hone Claws (Accuracy goes very well with knife thrower)
Magical Leaf
Leaf Storm
Leaf Blade
Grass Whistle
Metal Claw
Crush Claw
Brave Bird
Acrobatics
Air Slash
Air Cutter

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while

Passion can be shown by one's actions and not just how they project their personality emotionally. Litten might look apathetic to things, but it may be a fierce fighter (retaining its indifferent face).

And I can see Popplio getting the Swift Swim HA. It's too obvious to ignore.

Yep Popplio and its line getting Swift Swim sounds just about right. I'd like for GameFreak to give it something else to make its final stage better at competitive. Perhaps if Popplio's final stage becomes a slower bulkier seal (plz no) Speed Boost could be cooler, even tho Swift Swim and Thick Fat allude to flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.