• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
The water starter is generally a good starter since it has only two weakness as pure water. Also the water starter can learn ice moves to combat grass types and some even learn ground moves to combat their electric weakness. So Popplio can be a great pokemon if used right. Same said for the other two starter pokemon.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I think rowlett is so popular just because of memes, it reminds me of when villager was reveal for smash. just because it can turn its head around, people make it seem like it's a psychopath and creepy and going to **** up everything.

EmpoleonRules

Water FTW!
Yeah and I feel like Litten is popular because people's eternal addiction and love for cats. But I'll make my final judgements on the starters once the evolutions are announced. Overall, I like the starters so far for the most part though.

Illusio

No words, only rage
Popplio's hate kind of feels bandwagonish at this point as before, I felt it was just overshadowed. Now, it feels like a meme as it seems like people are just joining a side for the fun of it as we have things like a lot of artwork that either bashes the poor thing, or sympathizes with it by making it depressed, and none of the other starters aside from one got that. It's kind of another Oshawott case, except the latter got a lot more backlash back in the day.

Nonetheless, none of the three starters deserve hate, they're a good set imo.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Alright, judging from social media, many people have been hating on Popplio but I have no idea why. I mean it isn't the best starter ever but there have been worse ones for sure. Maybe because it looks like a clown kind of and people don't like clowns? I don't know. It looks cute and cool to me. I feel like if any of these should be disliked it should be Litten. I feel like cat-like Pokemon have been overused. And it doesn't look at all special to me. I like Rowlet, it looks fun and new. That being said, I'll be picking Popplio in Sun which will be my primary game and then Rowlet in Moon. I just don't really like Litten, although it has a cool name. However, it's evolutions have a lot of potential and I might change my mind if they are awesome.

Even though Popplio is my least favorite of the three, I certainly agree that it doesn't deserve any serious hate. Actually, judging purely off of base stages, I think this might be favorite group of starters since Hoenn. Of course evolutions could change that, but for now I think they're all pretty well designed.

I think rowlett is so popular just because of memes, it reminds me of when villager was reveal for smash. just because it can turn its head around, people make it seem like it's a psychopath and creepy and going to **** up everything.

Sadly that is probably the case. It bugs me because whenever I tell someone that Rowlett is my favorite, they say something akin to "of course it is." Sometimes it's annoying liking the popular one.

Squirtortoise

I have to agree, they are a good trio. The first 4 gens had awesome trios, 5 and 6 were still fine, but I think this gen's starters are back to the basics. Regardless of the fact that none of these 3 blew me away at first glance (the base forms are never anything special to me right away anyways), they feel fresh.

B. Thunder Tiger

You know what would be iconic in a way? Looking at Charmander, way back from Gen 1, he eventually evolved into Charizard, a Fire/Flying type, which appears like a western dragon in design. What if, and again, this is just a IF, Litten were to evolve into a Fire/Ground type and ends up being some tiger with eastern influences? Because now that I think of it, he'd be the complete opposite from Charizard regarding their secondary type, but better yet, they'd both invoke the theme of the Dragon and Tiger respectively, which are said to be eternal rivals according to Japanese myth.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TigerVersusDragon

Last edited:

Testing123

People just want another le memey Derpderp to make fun of for some sick reason and so they act like Popplio is a sin against nature. The Popplio hate/sympathy is so forced it's ridiculous.

You know what would be iconic in a way? Looking at Charmander, way back from Gen 1, he eventually evolved into Charizard, a Fire/Flying type, which appears like a western dragon in design. What if, and again, this is just a IF, Litten were to evolve into a Fire/Ground type and ends up being some tiger with eastern influences? Because now that I think of it, he'd be the complete opposite from Charizard regarding their secondary type, but better yet, they'd both invoke the theme of the Dragon and Tiger respectively, which are said to be eternal rivals according to Japanese myth.

It would also be a very good callback to Gen I, which makes sense seeing it's the 20th Anniversary and all. Plus, eastern depictions of tigers are always done so majestically and detailed. It'd lend itself some nice aesthetics.

People just want another le memey Derpderp to make fun of for some sick reason and so they act like Popplio is a sin against nature. The Popplio hate/sympathy is so forced it's ridiculous.

Or it could be that some people don't like Popplio and its appearance? I like it personally, but I can see why people wouldn't: the same goes for Rowlet and Litten.

B. Thunder Tiger

It would also be a very good callback to Gen I, which makes sense seeing it's the 20th Anniversary and all. Plus, eastern depictions of tigers are always done so majestically and detailed. It'd lend itself some nice aesthetics.

That brings me on a idea. What if Litten's whiskers end up becoming fiery streams of sorts in its final evo? Also, its said that in Chinese Martial Arts that the Tiger represents the element of Earth, embodying matter, whereas the Dragon represents Heaven, embodying spirit. That could be a argument of the Fire/Ground typing, and oppose Fire/Flying thematically. The stripes on Litten's forehead, as someone else here pointed out, could also hint to be a stylized kanji that means "King" or "Earth". Both kanji look similar, although aren't exactly the same. In fact, I take this more to be likely than the Brimstone theory that has been going around. That said... if you take the Chinese Martial arts part seriously....we could see another dreaded Fire/Fighting type....

That will surely cause a eruption of fury among the fandom.

Last edited:
That brings me on a idea. What if Litten's whiskers end up becoming fiery streams of sorts in its final evo? Also, its said that in Chinese Martial Arts that the Tiger represents the element of Earth, embodying matter, whereas the Dragon represents Heaven, embodying spirit. That could be a argument of the Fire/Ground typing, and oppose Fire/Flying thematically. Of course, if you take the Chinese Martial arts part seriously....we could see another dreaded Fire/Fighting type....

That will surely cause a eruption of fury among the fandom.

Was that a pun? :p

I'm thinking the martial arts and earth thing more points to Ground, but if it is Fighting, then I think the fandom is going to have a psychotic laughing fit rather than a full meltdown XD

But yeah, Litten's whiskers are definitely what I see becoming fiery in its final form, although Delphox notably doesn't have any fire on it except its wand, though its ear hair emulates fire.

B. Thunder Tiger

Was that a pun? :p

I'm thinking the martial arts and earth thing more points to Ground, but if it is Fighting, then I think the fandom is going to have a psychotic laughing fit rather than a full meltdown XD

But yeah, Litten's whiskers are definitely what I see becoming fiery in its final form, although Delphox notably doesn't have any fire on it except its wand, though its ear hair emulates fire.

Depends. If there's a melt down, I'd expect the site here to be overloaded in rage and go flat. That said, I just remembered that tigers are also stealthy. Perhaps...seeing as Ground types commonly learn Rock-type moves...Litten's evos could learn....Stealth Rock?

Charizard: "Ha! You can't touch me, stupid cat! You're half ground type, and I'm half flying type! I'm superior as I have always been!"

Litten's Final Evo "Stealth Rock."

Charizard: "God dangit you blasted tiger! Ugh!" (gets KOed)

Litten's Final Evo "That was pathetic!"

*announcer voice in MK style* "Shere Khan wins! Fatality."

Litten's Final Evo to a dead Charizard: "Indeed I do. Guess its official, you suck!"

Last edited:
Depends. If there's a melt down, I'd expect the site here to be overloaded in rage and go flat. That said, I just remembered that tigers are also stealthy. Perhaps...seeing as Ground types commonly learn Rock-type moves...Litten's evos could learn....Stealth Rock?

Charizard: "Ha! You can't touch me, stupid cat! You're half ground type, and I'm half flying type! I'm superior as I have always been!"

Litten's Final Evo "Stealth Rock."

Charizard: "God dangit you blasted tiger! Ugh!" (gets KOed)

Litten's Final Evo "That was pathetic!"

*announcer voice in MK style* "Shere Khan wins! Fatality."

Litten's Final Evo to a dead Charizard: "Indeed I do. Guess its official, you suck!"

I'm all in favour of Groundtiger learning Sneaky Pebbles now X'D

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

Illusio

No words, only rage

That would be very interesting, I'd love if they did a callback like that.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
This is the Internet and Popplio is a fictional character who has no feelings.

Anyways,

http://zerudez.deviantart.com/journal/Pokemon-Sun-and-Moon-Starters-608188923

Starter artwork isn't done by Sugimori.

Well, there was no official confirmation on this since it was only based on observation.

But yes, I do agree with him that the artworks follows Ohmura and Mizutani's style more than Sugimori's.
It's just surprising that Sugi is not the one doing the official artworks for the Pokemon this time considering the fact that he did the official art for all six generations.

Although technically, he is still designing Pokemon. Just not the one to do the final artworks.

Status
Not open for further replies.