• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Probably because they're Tadpoles?
But no one else does in the entire evolutionary line either.

Politoed learns bounce.
Whoops, forgot about that.

Maybe it's because they didn't have the features to do so? Like Poliwag to Poliwrath couldn't learn it cause it looks like they don't gave long tongue to lick or legs strong enough to bounce. Politoad on the other hand, while weirdly not able to lick even it has a long tongue, It can learn bounce cause it has stronger frog legs.
Froakie doesn't even have a long tongue until it evolves, yet still learns Lick.

And even then, I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

Last edited:
But no one in the entire evolutionary line.

Froakie doesn't even have a long tongue until it evolves, yet still learns Lick.

Uh, what? I have no idea what you mean.

also, that would be because it keeps its tongue internally, like irl frogs.

clbgolden12

Uh, what? I have no idea what you mean.

also, that would be because it keeps its tongue internally, like irl frogs.
Meant to say "But no one else in the entire evolutionary line does either." Sorry, that was a typo on my part. Fixed.

Also, what do you mean they keep their tongues internally?

knightwolf09

Meant to say "But no one else in the entire evolutionary line does either." Sorry, that was a typo on my part.

Simply, not stick out their tongue all the time.

Meant to say "But no one else in the entire evolutionary line does either." Sorry, that was a typo on my part.

IRL frogs, like most organisms, keep their tongues in their mouths. Froakie is most likely doing the same.

Also, the whole line except Politoed are tadpoles? (Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you).

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
We need to keep in mind that Skitty, Milotic, and Espurr all learn Disarming Voice. None of them ended up Fairy-type, or even dual type.

We need to keep in mind that Skitty, Milotic, and Espurr all learn Disarming Voice. None of them ended up Fairy-type, or even dual type.
True 'nuff...but that's only 3 (4, counting Meowstic separately from Espurr) out of the 17 Pokémon that currently learn it by level-up...so it definitely skews heavily toward actual Fairy-type Pokémon (and ones that gain the type by evo or Mega.)

Does that confirm Popplio's eventual secondary type? Definitely not. It's just a trend that exists in the move's Gen VI distribution.

clbgolden12

IRL frogs, like most organisms, keep their tongues in their mouths. Froakie is most likely doing the same.

Also, the whole line except Politoed are tadpoles? (Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you).
Even though they keep their tongues in, so does Froakie, like you pointed out, yet it still learns Lick.

Also, are they really ALL tadpoles? It'd be really weird for nearly an entire line to all be based off baby real world counterparts. If anything, I thought they were based off glass frogs or something.

Even though they keep their tongues in, so does Froakie, like you pointed out, yet it still learns Lick.

Also, are they really ALL tadpoles? It'd be really weird for nearly an entire line to all be based off baby real world counterparts. If anything, I thought they were based off glass frogs or something.

Yes, all three are tadpoles developing, but still being tadpoles. A Johto NPC even comments on it.

shadowF

With all the new information reveladed today, What is the new theory or speculation about the starters? What second types are people leaning now? As well as which of the 3 starters are the bulky and speeder and physical one?

XXD17

Draco rex
With all the new information reveladed today, What is the new theory or speculation about the starters? What second types are people leaning now? As well as which of the 3 starters are the bulky and speeder and physical one?

Everyone seems to agree that litten is the speedy one and popplio is the slow bulky one. Rowlet is in between. Popplio is also confirmed to learn disarming voice. People seem to be divided on what this means though.

Huh, never knew that.

Still weird that Politoad doesn't learn Lick, though.

Tbf it's level up move pool is tragic.

Water/Fairy Popplio has gained traction and people are agreeing Popplio seems bulky atm.

Rowlet doesn't even show up and Litten gets annihilated in two Water Guns before it can really do anything.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

Based on the Battle Royal, the speed of the starters seems to go Litten, then Rowlet, then Popplio. As mentioned before, Popplio seems to be bulky as its highest stats were Def, SpAtk, and SpDef, so it's likely going to be the "tankier" one of the group like Blastoise or Swampert. Litten seems to be fragile as it didn't take too many hits from Popplio or the others, so it's probably the "fragile speedster" of the bunch, fast and hits hard, but can't take a hit to save its life. Rowlet is in the middle, which leaves it more of a variety of roles that it can grow into such as being the "Jack of all trades" of the group.

Ludicoconut

Water&Grass Trainer
Based on the Battle Royal, the speed of the starters seems to go Litten, then Rowlet, then Popplio. As mentioned before, Popplio seems to be bulky as its highest stats were Def, SpAtk, and SpDef, so it's likely going to be the "tankier" one of the group like Blastoise or Swampert. Litten seems to be fragile as it didn't take too many hits from Popplio or the others, so it's probably the "fragile speedster" of the bunch, fast and hits hard, but can't take a hit to save its life. Rowlet is in the middle, which leaves it more of a variety of roles that it can grow into such as being the "Jack of all trades" of the group.

Think Rowlet is going to be the speedy physical attacking starter of this gen

knightwolf09

Think Rowlet is going to be the speedy physical attacking starter of this gen

I had a feeling it would be the case, though it looks like Litten is faster, so second fatest. So I guess Litten's taking the Infernape route and becoming a speedy mixed attacker.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Ok, we know that Rowlet is Grass/Flying and it's evolutions are likely to keep that typing. Litten and Popplio are currently pure at the moment. Several possible types they could gain upon evolution: Poison, Ground, Fighting, Fairy, Dark, and Psychic. Ice may happen but that could given Popplio too much of an advantage.

Shraeder

It's Lit
I had a feeling it would be the case, though it looks like Litten is faster, so second fatest. So I guess Litten's taking the Infernape route and becoming a speedy mixed attacker.

I think Rowlet will have similar base stats to Fennekin but have physical and special stats swapped so that its Defense and Attack are higher than its Sp Def and Sp Atk. Leafage seems to be a physical move (based just off the animation since it's similar to Seed Bomb) so it'd make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.