• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I can see why to think like that. Though I just think of things as both real and fake.

if you want, but it's never really a good idea to imo. Maybe it's just because I have dealt with so many fake leaks personally. Literally at least once perday during smash prerelease. Then there is the rayman leak which everyone said there was no way it could possibly be fake. Also the nx controller leak, that was literally 3d printed. There are tons of amazingly talented people today online.

knightwolf09

if you want, but it's never really a good idea to imo. Maybe it's just because I have dealt with so many fake leaks personally. Literally at least once perday during smash prerelease. Then there is the rayman leak which everyone said there was no way it could possibly be fake. Also the nx controller leak, that was literally 3d printed. There are tons of amazingly talented people today online.

I usually have an eye for when stuff is fake, but if something looks real enough I look into to see how it's plausible. Then I just wait till confirmation, so if it was either or I'm ready for both.

Skeith

(◕‿‿◕)
I'm very skeptical about these "leaks" for a number of reasons but looking at it from a designers stand point there are a lot of elements that feel off. For starters these designs are incredibly cluttered when compared to other anime art concepts (see Charizard X, Tepig and Mega Swampert as well as previous stuff others have linked) it focuses too much on the over all design rather than the elements.

For example in Rowlet's final evolution's design it has him posed wagging his finger, in other concepts this would focus on just his hand and not as much focus on showing off the torso (example Sceptiles tree and Greninja's Mouth). The pulled back retractable hood is also only shown in black and white and this seems a bit backwards in terms of what to show as a lot of emphasis has been put on a pose and not on a key feature of the design (namely the hood-less head). The usage of the sign on the tree branch also has me skeptical. Litten's final evo being included in a scene where Ash, random girl and Rowlet also seems to break tradition as does the usage of orange only to colour in his action scene. Poppilo's evo has the text following out of water that really seems out of place when looking at this as a design sheet. The text, while used in Tepig and other designs, seems more scattered and unfocused in these designs, especially the use of colour.

All in all there a lot of elements here that really feel less official to me and more emulated. I freely admit though as we are moving into a new season there could be a design change and that these could become the new norm but, besides the concept of Sycamore, the more I compare these designs to other sheets the more out of place they feel. One other design point that really has me skeptical is Litten's evolution's fire wrestling belt. Its a unique placement and one of the elements of design I really like but when looking into past controversy with Pokemon designs (Jynx, Bellossom, Kadabra) one has to wonder if the Pokemon Company would be so daring as to give a design a fire crotch. I know that designs have moved on since those days, just look at what yokai watch got away with in CheekSqueak, but I still feel this design is a bit to risque. I also feel that Poppilo's design seems to far from the start but then I said the same about Samurott when he was first shown.

At the end of the day we won't know till Nintendo announces it but honestly I wouldn't mind if these were our final designs (with exception to fire/fighting) though as it stands I'm currently unconvinced by these designs and just think that someone lucked out with timing about guessing a fire/poison design. I'm sure coro-coro will shed some light when it drops as to the credibility of these claims or at least give us more of an idea of what to expect.

Last edited:

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
The "Confidential" stamp can be easily faked. But the reason why the final starter evos are hard to debunk was because the artwork themselves look like official material.
It also happens to be a concept sheet (which was very well done) rather than the usual magazine scan or official artwork.

I still think it's fake, but who knows. Let's wait and see if the leaks would hit something that's going to be shown in CoroCoro.

knightwolf09

I'm very skeptical about these "leaks" for a number of reasons but looking at it from a designers stand point there are a lot of elements that feel off. For starters these designs are incredibly cluttered when compared to other anime art concepts (see Charizard X, Tepig and Mega Swampert as well as previous stuff others have linked) it focuses too much on the over all design rather than the elements.

For example in Rowlet's final evolution's design it has him posed wagging his finger, in other concepts this would focus on just his hand and not as much focus on showing off the torso (example Sceptiles tree and Greninja's Mouth). The pulled back retractable hood is also only shown in black and white and this seems a bit backwards in terms of what to show as a lot of emphasis has been put on a pose and not on a key feature of the design (namely the hood-less head). The usage of the sign on the tree branch also has me skeptical. Litten's final evo being included in a scene where Ash, random girl and Rowlet also seems to break tradition as does the usage of orange only to colour in his action scene. Poppilo's evo has the text following out of water that really seems out of place when looking at this as a design sheet. The text, while used in Tepig and other designs, seems more scattered and unfocused in these designs, especially the use of colour.

All in all there a lot of elements here that really feel less official to me and more emulated. I freely admit though as we are moving into a new season there could be a design change and that these could become the new norm but, besides the concept of Sycamore, the more I compare these designs to other sheets the more out of place they feel. One other design point that really has me skeptical is Litten's evolution's fire wrestling belt. Its a unique placement and one of the elements of design I really like but when looking into past controversy with Pokemon designs (Jynx, Bellossom, Kadabra) one has to wonder if the Pokemon Company would be so daring as to give a design a fire crotch. I know that designs have moved on since those days, just look at what yokai watch got away with in CheekSqueak, but I still feel this design is a bit to risque. I also feel that Poppilo's design seems to far from the start but then I said the same about Samurott when he was first shown.

At the end of the day we won't know till Nintendo announces it but honestly I wouldn't mind if these were our final designs (with exception to fire/fighting) though as it stands I'm currently unconvinced by these designs and just think that someone lucked out with timing about guessing a fire/poison design. I'm sure coro-coro will shed some light when it drops as to the credibility of these claims or at least give us more of an idea of what to expect.

Seriously the fire crotch thing is just peoples own dirty mind. Anyway remember I keep saying that they are more than likely not the final designs if real, which would be why they don't look like other concepts in the past.

Akashin

Seriously the fire crotch thing is just peoples own dirty mind. Anyway remember I keep saying that they are more than likely not the final designs if real, which would be why they don't look like other concepts in the past.

Considering that the fire is clearly coming from that flame belt thing, yeah, I'm not sure what people are calling risque about it.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
The "Confidential" stamp can be easily faked. But the reason why the final starter evos are hard to debunk was because the artwork themselves look like official material.
It also happens to be a concept sheet (which was very well done) rather than the usual magazine scan or official artwork.

I still think it's fake, but who knows. Let's wait and see if the leaks would hit something that's going to be shown in CoroCoro.

It's very well done, I give it that. Fans CAN do that good thought at this point which is why it doesnt get the same credibility it would have gotten lets say like 5 years ago or even 3.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
So for Popplio and Litten's evolution typings we have for speculation: Ground, Fighting, Dark and Fairy. Poison seems unlikely since Salandit took that but it may happen still. Ghost and Dragon are ruled out since the designs for those two don't look the part for them. Ice might happen for Popplio although that would seriously give it an advantage over Rowlet. I don't think Bug would happen since neither have an insect design. Rock, Steel and Electric I am not certain of. Normal is unlikely due to your character finding a Normal type pokemon in early route. Psychic could be a possibility. No starter gets the primary type of the other as a secondary so I don't see that happening for Litten and Popplio.

Last edited:

Skeith

(◕‿‿◕)
Seriously the fire crotch thing is just peoples own dirty mind.

True but the fact that its an easy comparison to make is why it may be considered risque by the company. Its why I brought up Kadabra as example of a design where there's nothing wrong with the design but Uri Geller found a way to make a comparison to himself and lo and behold we don't see Kadabra in the card game any more. Same with Porygon and its association with being the cause of seizures.

On the same note the same can be said against the implications with the Lopunny design and its similarities to the playboy bunny, didn't stop them from making the design. In any case, I suspect that any and all discussions relating to this will have been debated within game freak before settling on the design if it is the actual design.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
True but the fact that its an easy comparison to make is why it may be considered risque by the company. Its why I brought up Kadabra as example of a design where there's nothing wrong with the design but Uri Geller found a way to make a comparison to himself and lo and behold we don't see Kadabra in the card game any more. Same with Porygon and its association with being the cause of seizures.

On the same note the same can be said against the implications with the Lopunny design and its similarities to the playboy bunny, didn't stop them from making the design. In any case, I suspect that any and all discussions relating to this will have been debated within game freak before settling on the design if it is the actual design.

Im for the leaks being fake completely still but I think this part of the argument is honestly straw grasping. Gen 5 had reshiram and Beartic, so even then gamefreak wasnt worried about it.

dark_murasame

OG Trainer
Lol I hope the owl assassin evo gets fighting type and close combat or some type of dual fighting flying type move the design was very good in my opinion. I'm not at all interested in the other starters..I feel salandit may have another Evo into a giant Komodo dragon as well. If these are real I'm sure the official art will be even better.

knightwolf09

Lol I hope the owl assassin evo gets fighting type and close combat or some type of dual fighting flying type move the design was very good in my opinion. I'm not at all interested in the other starters..I feel salandit may have another Evo into a giant Komodo dragon as well. If these are real I'm sure the official art will be even better.

I can see it getting Double Kick.

Crystal Power

Isn't there a high chance that the CoroCoro leaks that should appear in the next few days could reveal the starters second forms?

It's actually in only around 4 months the game will release, I didn't realize the release was nearing so soon but around this time would seem like the time for the starters second evos to be shown. If anything it can point us into a better direction on what to expect for the final forms..

If these are real, I'm going on a rampage with Litten's evo for his trash talkers. And hopefully he gets Sucker Punch.
Yea.. I love Litten3 rumor design. I actually like all three. I do know they may not be legit, it happens though. xD

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Isn't there a high chance that the CoroCoro leaks that should appear in the next few days could reveal the starters second forms?

It's actually in only around 4 months the game will release, I didn't realize the release was nearing so soon but around this time would seem like the time for the starters second evos to be shown. If anything it can point us into a better direction on what to expect for the final forms..

Yea.. I love Litten3 rumor design. I actually like all three. I do know they may not be legit, it happens though. xD

the mid evos for xy didnt appear until a month before release, so very doubtful it will be this month.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
The evolutions of the starters being released could happen at any time. They don't have to released them the same way the previous gen starter evolutions were released.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
The evolutions of the starters being released could happen at any time. They don't have to released them the same way the previous gen starter evolutions were released.

They dont have to, but up to this point they always are revealed right near launch.

Sakuraba

They dont have to, but up to this point they always are revealed right near launch.

Honestly, there's no telling. They could just release them right now, or keep us in the black until we evolve them ourselves. As much as people like patterns, GF and Nintendo in general don't really follow them all that well.

B. Thunder Tiger

All of this. Pulled the words right out of my mouth.

That alone made me think, especially if these arts were made by hand and scanned in, and were digitally edited on computer. Seeing as official concepts can be found and be linked everywhere, its very possible, if they're fake, that the artist just copy/pasted the {Confidential} mark from a official concept art sheet as to make it appear official.

Holy moly, I thought I recognized Litten3's design. Its head and eyes really match.

As people already mentioned, the chance that CoroCoro is going to show the second evos is low at best. I would paste another extra three months before you get to see them. In fact, I don't think we are going to see a lot in the CoroCoro this time ahead, but that is just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.