• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
I didn't say it learning a Fairy move is evidence of Popplio becoming part Fighting. I am saying Gamefreak isn't afraid to break patterns and boundaries. Fairy is still relatively new as a type, and moves have never been type-restricted. By your logic, Infernape should have become Fire/Dark because it learns Dark moves early on as a Chimchar, since Fighting and Dark are opposites.

Logically speaking, Popplio is based on a sea lion/seal; a very vocal, loud creature.

Yes indeed chimchar does learn an awful load of dark type moves early, even nasty plot if you don't evolve monferno early.

Nuzlocker4Life

Yes indeed chimchar does learn an awful load of dark type moves early, even nasty plot if you don't evolve monferno early.

While I wasn't around for Gen 4's speculation, I wouldn't doubt many believed Chimchar would end up as a Fire/Dark dual type because of this.

knightwolf09

The only non higher than 40 BP one.

The other options are hyper voice uproar and boomburst, all higher than 90 BP, bad choices for an early move in a starter balance wise.

Elephant Seals do ritualistic roars to meassure their opponents, hooded seals Roar to exert dominance, baby seals and sea lions recognize their mothers by the noise they make, likewise the mothers teach them similar vocalizations. Female Elephant seals and Galápagos sea lions can localize a lost baby even if it walks away a mile from the nesting grounds just by the cries it emits.

Seriously anyone who likes sea mammals know this stuff Bro.

Did you ever see my comparison to seal/sea lions to certain other creatures? We all know pokemon, especially starters aren't just straight forward animals. So if Popps wanted to go a mythical route, a siren or selkie actually matches perfectly with it.

I didn't say it learning a Fairy move is evidence of Popplio becoming part Fighting. I am saying Gamefreak isn't afraid to break patterns and boundaries. Fairy is still relatively new as a type, and moves have never been type-restricted. By your logic, Infernape should have become Fire/Dark because it learns Dark moves early on as a Chimchar, since Fighting and Dark are opposites.

Logically speaking, Popplio is based on a sea lion/seal; a very vocal, loud creature.

Remember, Fairy types seem to be spreading around a lot more this gen, so I don't doubt this would go to Popps as well.

Nuzlocker4Life

Did you ever see my comparison to seal/sea lions to certain other creatures? We all know pokemon, especially starters aren't just straight forward animals. So if Popps wanted to go a mythical route, a siren or selkie actually matches perfectly with it.

Although if Popps went the direction of your idea for its final evolution, I'd be sold. Beautiful art, been meanin' to tell ya (lack of Litten though, man...).

By no means am I doubting a Water/Fairy starter. For all we know, GF might try to make lightning strike twice and go for Water/Dark again this time around. We already know this has happened before twice *cough*Firefighters*cough*

Last edited:

knightwolf09

Although if Popps went the direction of your idea for its final evolution, I'd be sold. Beautiful art, been meanin' to tell ya (lack of Litten though, man...).

Well there's not that much to talk about for Litten, other than it becoming a big cat if not a tiger. Popps is the one that needs attention cause it really needs to get a good evo if it wants the fanbase's love.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
While I wasn't around for Gen 4's speculation, I wouldn't doubt many believed Chimchar would end up as a Fire/Dark dual type because of this.

Especially given the speculation on Wukong and it's portrayal on myths.

And yes fairy is plausible, just as much as Empoleon. But honestly adding a new type to a Pokemon in the generation it was introduced is unlikely.

The myth of the Selkie or the Walrus princess does make sense for a piniped, however if they instead choose to go by the nature of the creature they are being based on Fighting(Seals), Dark(Sea lions) or Ice(Habitat) shouldn't be discarded.

Nuzlocker4Life

Well there's not that much to talk about for Litten, other than it becoming a big cat if not a tiger. Popps is the one that needs attention cause it really needs to get a good evo if it wants the fanbase's love.

It's already got my love. I honestly love all three starters, which has never happened before. I'm afraid that because of this I'll end up hating all three final evolutions. |D

vladimirescu

It's already got my love. I honestly love all three starters, which has never happened before. I'm afraid that because of this I'll end up hating all three final evolutions. |D
That's pretty much what happened to me last Gen, I loved all of the Kalos starters and got heavily disappointed by two of the final forms, Delphox and Greninja. But they grew on me and now I'm indifferent to them. Considering this, I think there is a good chance I will be disappointed by Rowlet's or Popplio's final forms, if not both.

Nuzlocker4Life

You think if they released demos of the games, that it'd be possible to fully evolve the starters? :eek:

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Rowlett and Litten seems to appeal to me more than Popplio especially if it becomes part Fairy. There are very few of the type that I like. Of course the design for the final evolution of Popplio might change my mind so I won't be too hasty in judging it.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
You think if they released demos of the games, that it'd be possible to fully evolve the starters? :eek:
After what happened with the ORAS demo I doubt they'll do another one, at least not for a completely new game as it risks spoiling a lot of it through datamining.

But even if we did get a demo, unless the starter evos were revealed beforehand I doubt they'd be accessible in a demo.

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
My Prediction
Rowlet Grass/Flying
Litten Fire or Fire/Ground or Fire/Dark or Fire/Poison or Fire/Steel or Fire/Fighting
Popplio Water or Water/Fairy or Water/Fighting or Water/Psychic

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I'm sticking with my earliest predictions, except I'm now changing Rowlet from Grass/Steel to Grass/Flying, it looks like he'll remain that type.

So:

Rowlet: Grass/Flying
Litten: Fire/Dark
Popplio: Water/Fairy

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild
Litten: Fire/Dark
Popplio: Water/Fairy

Oooohhh I'm so excited!

B. Thunder Tiger

For final starter types, if the 20th aniversary is any indication (or maybe its not), I'd predict the following type combos for the Alola Starter Evos:

Litten's Evo - Fire/Dark or Fire/Ground:
Fire/Dark is a possibility and could be pretty cool in general as a starter type, especially if that Heel theme ends up true. For Fire/Ground, Litten's evo would be the prime opposite of Charizard representing the Sky with its secondary Flying type, with Litten representing the Earth. This in turn is reflected in a sub category related to the Chinese Zodiac, in which the Tiger and Dragon are considered to be eternal rivals, representing Earth and Sky respectively. More, regardless of Litten's possible secondary typing could be, either speculated type would reflect well on the 20th aniversary of the franchise. After all, Charmander started off as a mono Fire-type, but became part Flying when it evolved into Charizard. I also expect that Litten's intermediate evo stage will stay mono-type, as to reflect on Chamander's first evo stage that's Charmeleon which was also mono Fire-type.

Rowlet's Evo - Grass/Flying:
Not much to say about this part, other than the idea that Rowlet represents a Grass Starter that starts out dual-typed right from the start, and the only other Grass Starter to have a dual-type was Bulbasaur, which started out with, and stayed with the Grass/Poison typing. If true, this would go nicely with the 20th aniversary of the very games that jumpstarted the Pokémon Franchise into a worldwide phenomenon its today.

Popplio's Evo - Water, Water/Fairy, or Water/Ice:
With the reveal that Poppilio can learn Disarming Voice, a Fairy-type move, there is a fair chance Popplio could end up becoming a Water/Fairy type, especially if that siren theme is true. However, its also fair to expect the possibility for Popplio to stay Water type throughout its entire line, especially if the Alola starters are designed as such to reflect on the Kanto Starters, of which Squirtle was the only Kanto Starter to stay Water-type through out its evolutionary family line. Water/Ice is also a possibility, but frankly, I don't expect it, as Water-types in general can just learn almost any Ice-type move without being Dual-typed. They just miss out on the Ice type STAB.

My final verdict:
With Sun and Moon being the 20th aniversary games, I speculate/theorize that the Alola Starters were designed to follow a reflecting theme, as in reflecting the way of how the Kanto Starters got assigned their types.

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
My guesses:

Litten: Pure Fire, Fire/Dark, Fire/Electric, Fire/Ground, or (eww) Fire/Fighting
Popplio: Pure Water, Water/Fairy, or Water/Fighting

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Barboach and whiscash, Moltres, it happened, not a good clause.

And yes water fighting with either mixed, special or defensive focus actually work for a seal. There are already anchorstone moves for fighting types to be special so Popplio becoming fighting isn't a stretch considering the issue.

Also wild seals are known for their viciousness by their researchers, circus seals exhibit the high learning abilities of predatory animals, yes even walrus predate shellfish, the only real tie in fairy has is the myth of the Selkie, this applies to the sea lions and even princess walrus(Yes walrus are princesses in mythology) also seals and sea lions are known for being loud, seals are given the highest level of popularity given the hooded seal specialized appendage, the elephant seal loud ritualistic roars and the male Leopard seal song breaking the rocking ice sounds of the sea.

Disregarding fighting type out of the concept of fighting not being special, is well, rather Naive given we already have at least 8 mixed or primarily special FE fighting types.

I get the poketuber`s wet dream of a fairy type Selkie, but eared seals and true seals do have huge hints of both fighting and even dark typing in their life cycles.

Also about the sea lions and rape, well. Nature is freakish, Dolphins do it too you know, interesting behaviors are cool stuff to see with a critic eye rather than a judgmental one.

as far as I know otters also rape creatures in the animal kingdom and no otter pokemon is based on that. This whole elephant seals fight in the wild is a little silly to go off of, I agree with Aromantic. If it was based on their fighting in the wild, then it would have been a physical fighter. It wouldn't be a special fighter because they don't blow bubbles at each other in nature, they use close combat, as someone specified, so they wouldn't half base it off of that, they'd most likely go all the way. The fact they're already leaning towards circus and entertaining goes to show they're not really going for the violent nature, but the entertaining aspect of the creature. I get why people want the water fighting type, but just because of the animal being violent when it comes to mating and territory and wanting to have sex, like A LOT of animals in the animal kingdom, this pokemon doesn't have anymore chances of being related to it's dark natures as much as any other pokemon based off of animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.