• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Gen 7 does look like it focuses heavily on the meta with all these crazy abilities. So I wouldn't be surprised if they become OU.

That's not how it works, OU is a % thing. Basically the chances of you seeing that Pokémon at least once in 20 battles, being strong but having huuuuuuge issues in being put on teams due to being a harder to support version of another mon, or outright having no niche or poor support options would end up dropping a big stats or nuke Pokémon to UU, or if he is too centralizing there to BL.

OU doesn't mean power, OU means being reliable, just like latios, pivot Lando T or Talonflame wich flagship isn't offensive brave bird, but actually the specially defensive set, look at good old Salamence being borderline by being a mediocre dragon with the only niche of mixed scarf moxie and wish shuffler being the only sets he is able to pull of when compared to other dragons.

I doubt GF follows Smogon either.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
That's not how it works, OU is a % thing. Basically the chances of you seeing that Pokémon at least once in 20 battles, being strong but having huuuuuuge issues in being put on teams due to being a harder to support version of another mon, or outright having no niche or poor support options would end up dropping a big stats or nuke Pokémon to UU, or if he is too centralizing there to BL.

OU doesn't mean power, OU means being reliable, just like latios, pivot Lando T or Talonflame wich flagship isn't offensive brave bird, but actually the specially defensive set, look at good old Salamence being borderline by being a mediocre dragon with the only niche of mixed scarf moxie and wish shuffler being the only sets he is able to pull of when compared to other dragons.

I'd argue the mere existance of Mega Kangaskhan is proof positive GameFreak doesn't give a damn about competitive balance anyways.

Would like that, I always felt like starters were these Rare and POWERFUL pokemon, but thats kind of died down recently.

There's plenty of viable starters. Greninja, Blaziken, and Serperior are all extremely dangerous threats (to the point where 2 of the 3 have so far been banned). Swampert was a staple of gen 3 and 4 OU but just couldn't keep up with the power creep. Venusaur and Charizard are both viable in OU thanks to their Mega forms.

Gen 2 kinda got screwed competitively but Feraligatr can be deadly in the lower tiers.

Last edited:

AaronLoves

Water Trainer

Thanks for letting me now, I'm pretty new to competitive Battling!

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Actually Feraligatr in OU is a very interesting mon, never bothered seeing in wich tier he is but he is a superior crawdawnt in the reliable side while able to use its better speed tier to actually use DD and recoilless lo to be different enough from gyarados and mega gyarados to work.

Lack of immunities hurt him though.

AaronLoves

Water Trainer
Actually Feraligatr in OU is a very interesting mon, never bothered seeing in wich tier he is but he is a superior crawdawnt in the reliable side while able to use its better speed tier to actually use DD and recoilless lo to be different enough from gyarados and mega gyarados to work.

Lack of immunities hurt him though.

According to Smogon feraligatr is in UU

If Popplio3 ends up being a Special attacker with Serence Grace, and is Water/Fairy.
Would there be many moves aside from Possibly Scald, Psychic and Moonblast that i could spam?

Last edited by a moderator:

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
If Popplio3 ends up being a Special attacker with Serence Grace, and is Water/Fairy.
Would there be many moves aside from Possibly Scald, Psychic and Moonblast that i could spam?

Body slam comes to mind, I think all seal like mons learn this one.

According to Smogon feraligatr is in UU

See he is a strong Pokémon, but his match up vs some scarfers and reliance on certain pivots gone makes him less uses hence the UU.

It can be used in OU, but he shines and thrives destroying the walls of UU with SD and having a good match up vs offense with aqua jet in UU.

Tiering actually gives a lot of Pokémon a chance to shine without being overshadowed.

I could have sworn gator would be bl2 given that haxorus really does a lot of stuff better.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Body slam comes to mind, I think all seal like mons learn this one.

See he is a strong Pokémon, but his match up vs some scarfers and reliance on certain pivots gone makes him less uses hence the UU.

It can be used in OU, but he shines and thrives destroying the walls of UU with SD and having a good match up vs offense with aqua jet in UU.

Tiering actually gives a lot of Pokémon a chance to shine without being overshadowed.

I could have sworn gator would be bl2 given that haxorus really does a lot of stuff better.

Haxorus lacks priority, I would guess that and Sheer Force are what sets Gatr apart.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Haxorus lacks priority, I would guess that and Sheer Force are what sets Gatr apart.

Yep, the niche, I honestly just slap a CB on haxorus and see the world burn. Kind of like Rhyperior in OU gaining usage for ****ing most teams that use cleffable.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Peck seems to be an early move for Rowlet. May be it learns it at level 7 or 10? Probably learns mostly physical Flying attacks.

Is anyone going to bring it up that it's suspicious that we got new leaks the day of the trailer which virtually confirms the starter evolution concept art? I mean wouldn't it have made more sense to bundle the leaks together into one super leak and not a half that pops up the day of? How valid is that starter split evolution leak anyway? (Genuinely curious)

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Is anyone going to bring it up that it's suspicious that we got new leaks the day of the trailer which virtually confirms the starter evolution concept art? I mean wouldn't it have made more sense to bundle the leaks together into one super leak and not a half that pops up the day of? How valid is that starter split evolution leak anyway? (Genuinely curious)

The splitevo leak is pretty valid looking so far because it has basically nothing proven wrong yet, and predicted new variations, just none we have seen yet. It also has connections to the reddit leak which is even more valid.

2dtyplosion

The splitevo leak is pretty valid looking so far because it has basically nothing proven wrong yet, and predicted new variations, just none we have seen yet. It also has connections to the reddit leak which is even more valid.

We need to see Rockruffs evolution and if it has different forms. Given the shared secret if that happened it would imply it's probably split evos.(it could be syncro)

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
We need to see Rockruffs evolution and if it has different forms. Given the shared secret if that happened it would imply it's probably split evos.(it could be syncro)

I don't think its synchro at all and i dont think that will be in the game. With customization back not sure how it could work anyway. But yea if we see that rockruff has basically split evos then its very likely.

alexterri

So, has there been ANY confirmation regarding the legitimacy of those Starter leaks? Because they've been around for a while now

Thepowaofhax

So, has there been ANY confirmation regarding the legitimacy of those Starter leaks? Because they've been around for a while now
The Litten Evo's concept art does have a picture of Mallow sitting by it sleeping. Mallow being revealed now confirms that it could be real.

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild

The only thing pointing to a confirmation is the fact Mallow's sitting right there with Lit3 and Ash, and the pages leaked MONTHS before she was revealed.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist

you'll know because you wont have to ask about it :p

I'm sure the forums will be buzzing with it once we get any sort of confirmation

alexterri

Well, if Litten's evo is real, I'm officially moving to Team Rowlet bc that's the only final evo I actually like

I don't hate Popplio's though.

knightwolf09

I don't think its synchro at all and i dont think that will be in the game. With customization back not sure how it could work anyway. But yea if we see that rockruff has basically split evos then its very likely.

Recently in the anime it's looked into more. It's called the Bond Phenomenon. It happens to a few trainers and pokemon, but when both unleash each other's power it can do amazing things. Which does sound a bit like Z-Moves. Greninja could do it cause it had the ability to. So I wouldn't be surprised if the Alola starters and Rockruff could do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.