• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

League

Master Abra Catcher
Yeah and greninja is a ninja, those are really common in France. I see them everyday.
At the very least the names of the starters was pretty French-i-ty (or, as they would say in France, el Francophone). "Gren", for instance, I believe is the French word for "blue".

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
At the very least the names of the starters was pretty French-i-ty (or, as they would say in France, el Francophone). "Gren", for instance, I believe is the French word for "blue".

Really? Besides Greninja, none of them have names with a French origin, and they never sounded French-ish to me. To each their own, I suppose :)

League

Master Abra Catcher
Really? Besides Greninja, none of them have names with a French origin, and they never sounded French-ish to me. To each their own, I suppose :)
Braixen, Chespin, Quilladin have some French origins (some of these you have to look to the Japanese names to see [reminding me of a Dos Equis commercial where it says the most interesting man speaks perfect Russian--in French--or perfect xth language in yth]), as arguably does Frogadier.

I was using the starters as a relatively weak example, anyway. There stronger portion (because the names of the starters is a subset) would be looking at some other pokemon like those in the Florges line or Dedenne, who utilize unwieldy French pronunciations or spelling orders.

True, still a relatively weak example. Meh.

Some of Kalos might make more sense if you think of Kalos as a representative of pan-Europe, and not of France specifically.

Last edited:

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Braixen, Chespin, Quilladin have some French origins (some of these you have to look to the Japanese names to see [reminding me of a Dos Equis commercial where it says the most interesting man speaks perfect Russian in French), as arguably does Frogadier.

I was using the starters as a relatively weak example, anyway. There stronger portion (because the names of the starters is a subset) would be looking at some other pokemon like those in the Florges line or Dedenne, who utilize unwieldy French pronunciations or spelling orders.

True, still a relatively weak example. Meh.

Some of Kalos might make more sense if you think of Kalos as a representative of pan-Europe, and not of France specifically.

Pan-Europe is certainly the way to go, seeing as yes, paladin, braise, and brigadier all find their roots in French, but are all English words in their current forms and uses. But honestly, that just comes down to English having borrowed most of its words from other Romance languages and German/Old German.

At the end of the day, GF can borrow from Hawaiian for the names of Pokemon (I'm looking at you, Tapu Koko), or not, and I won't mind much either way. Pokemon names have always been quite the mixed bag when it comes to their origins, after all :)

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I don't care how ~*inaccurate*~ Robinhoot is, it's the best name by far. It's punny and rolls off the tongue.

I know, I love it, too! I threw out a few other suggestions in one of my recent posts, but I didn't like any of them as much as Robinhoot :)

Everlasting

Everything stays.

Being a french speaking person, I have to point out that "Gren" comes from grenouille, which is the french translation of 'frog'. Blue, in french, is spelled bleu. :D

Starters don't always match up with cultural aspects of the region they're from (if ever ?). I don't think Rowlet3 will be any different, both by appearance and name. :p

Erron Black

The Outlaw
When I saw the "supposed" name for Rowlett's final evo, I felt sad and angry at the same time. I doubt it is real, but if it's final ends up being "Robinroot", I'm going to immediately rename him to something less awful. Seriously. Robinroot. It screams "Robin Hood" to me. Robin Hood has NOTHING to do with a region inspired by Hawaii. Not even close. I don't care if Pokemon will have lots of Pokemon based on animals that don't exist in the country the region is based off of, but names are another matter. In addition, that name, if you ignore the blatant Robin Hood association, has "robin" in it, which sounds confusing given that it's the name of an owl Pokemon.

So I hope to all the deities out there that this is a fake name. It's awful.

You do realize that it would be extremely difficult to incorporate Hawaiian into the names of every starter right? Hawaiian doesn't have many letters in it and is mostly made up of vowels. Take owl for example, which is 'pueo' in Hawaiian, or archer which is 'pana pua'. Sure they can make it work, but the likely-hood of them giving the Hawaiian theme to all the starter's final evolutions names isn't really high. Plus, the only starter with french in it's name in 6th gen is Greninja, I believe. Coming from 'Grenouille' which is french for frog, and ninja. The others are mostly English. Nor did the Unovan starters have completely English name origins in other languages despite being in a region based on America.

Kelphy

Calm Trainer
Does anyone actually believe that the leaks for the final evolutions are real? How certain are you that they're real? I personally think we're all going to be surprised and they won't be the actual starters, but I'd like to hear your opinion? (I mean the leak where Litten is a brawler as the final)

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Does anyone actually believe that the leaks for the final evolutions are real? How certain are you that they're real? I personally think we're all going to be surprised and they won't be the actual starters, but I'd like to hear your opinion? (I mean the leak where Litten is a brawler as the final)

Yeah, pretty much everyone does. If you need a reason why, that'd be

MALLOW

Orphalesion

They seem to be accepted by the majority of users.

I myself believed them already way back when they were first revealed, but then we were forbidden to talk about them, because some people got very upset at Litten3 (and/or the fact that the starter evolutions were leaked so early) and started fighting with everybody who even mentioned them.

Since the stuff with Mallow I believe them even more, though I admit that there is a small chance that they just happened to guess Mallow's design, but it would be a gigantic coincidence.

Unlike many others I like all three designs, though I actually like Rowlet3 the least, and Popplio3 the most.

And some of the arguments against them being true are pretty silly, like the idea that Gamefrak purposefully leaked false designs to "troll" its fanbase, that's utter and complete bullpoop.

Kelphy

Calm Trainer
They seem to be accepted by the majority of users.

I myself believed them already way back when they were first revealed, but then we were forbidden to talk about them, because some people got very upset at Litten3 (and/or the fact that the starter evolutions were leaked so early) and started fighting with everybody who even mentioned them.

Since the stuff with Mallow I believe them even more, though I admit that there is a small chance that they just happened to guess Mallow's design, but it would be a gigantic coincidence.

Unlike many others I like all three designs, though I actually like Rowlet3 the least, and Popplio3 the most.

And some of the arguments against them being true are pretty silly, like the idea that Gamefrak purposefully leaked false designs to "troll" its fanbase, that's utter and complete bullpoop.

I like the designs too! I am a Poplio evolution fan! She's so beautiful! I even like Littens final evolution the idea of having a hulking cat kind of reminds me of The Mountain from Game of Thrones. He just looks so intimidating and scary! The Owl I'm not so interested in, but a grass pokemon that sort of has a hoody is pretty cool!!

Erron Black

The Outlaw

They're 100% legitimate now that we have seen Mallow.

Even before then there was no evidence proving fake or true and that makes for a very fishy leak as that usually points to it being real or a very, very well done fake.

I really love Rowlet3 and Popplio3, Litten3 is actually pretty good too, but it isn't as cool as Popplio3 and Rowlet3 IMO.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

Kelphy

Calm Trainer
They're 100% legitimate now that we have seen Mallow.

Even before then there was no evidence proving fake or true and that makes for a very fishy leak as that usually points to it being real or a very, very well done fake.

I really love Rowlet3 and Popplio3, Litten3 is actually pretty good too, but it isn't as cool as Popplio3 and Rowlet3 IMO.

I agree completely! :)

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
I like the designs too! I am a Poplio evolution fan! She's so beautiful! I even like Littens final evolution the idea of having a hulking cat kind of reminds me of The Mountain from Game of Thrones. He just looks so intimidating and scary! The Owl I'm not so interested in, but a grass pokemon that sort of has a hoody is pretty cool!!

I just woke up, and I thought you were talking about The Mountain from Kinnikuman.

It's never Kinnikuman.

That said, Litten's final form would fit right in with the cast.

Tonels

What if the secret the starters and rockruff share is that their final evos forms change depending on the day/night cycle? For example panthster could be a face wrestler during the daytime and a heel during the nighttime, while rockruff could be a werewolf during the nighttime and a normal wolf during the daytime.

Last edited:

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
What if the secret the starters and rockruff share is that their final evos forms change depending on the day/night cycle? For example panthster could be a face wrestler during the daytime and a heel during the nighttime, while rockruff could be a werewolf during the nighttime and a normal wolf during the daytime.

So basically the "leak" (I'd link to the compiled leak image, but it seems to have been taken down everywhere I look). The "leak" stating that Liiften's official name was "Panthster" was debunked, btw.

I'll say this; I wouldn't be against split Evos/Forms, but at the same time, I'll believe it when I see it. We're 3 weeks away from the next CoroCoro, accounting from that good ole' reliable leakage, and it will give us the big Rockruff reveal, which could lead to some solid speculation as to the nature of the Starters' "secret".

Status
Not open for further replies.