• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shac

I am glad that Rockruff evo's day and night forms are significantly different. And now the starters share the same trait with Rockruff, then we will be getting two forms for the starters which I find rather exciting.

knightwolf09

I'd assume, if that rumor is even true, and I have my doubts, it'd still be bipedal and probably a hero wrestler and maybe, just maybe...Fire...and...Fighting...

A thing to remember is that the Chinese leak and the leaked images aren't the same thing. The pictures came first, then the chinese leak is either legit, or piggybacked off the pictures.

We can assume like Lugarugan the chinese leaker was vague on what or how many forms they have. He said Rockruff's evo was a werewolf and he was right, but didn't mention the regular wolf form. The same logic can apply to these starters.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Now let's remember if the starters do get alternate forms, they're going to be like Meowstic. With similar body builds and face, but different features. Lugarugan is a good example how that works. So even if they get split forms, don't get your hopes up they'll look completely different as if they are two different pokemon.

Well there is enough of a difference between the two rockruffs. I could see the other litten be quadropedal and they just proportion out his legs and they make his colors and fur more natural.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I'd assume, if that rumor is even true, and I have my doubts, it'd still be bipedal and probably a hero wrestler and maybe, just maybe...Fire...and...Fighting...

A thing to remember is that the Chinese leak and the leaked images aren't the same thing. The pictures came first, then the chinese leak is either legit, or piggybacked off the pictures.

Blasphemy!

Nah, I don't have a problem with Fire/Fighting, as long as it's not the only available Type combo (which, since this is assuming Day/Night Fornms, it wouldn't be).

Also, we have the cards for the TCG showing off the Starters and, surprise, Popplio has Sing as its move. Also, we have Fury Attack on Rowlet. Of course this doesn't mean they'll get these moves in-game, but odds are they will. Even if they don't, at least we squeezed one last bit of info out of CoroCoro!

.Aerodactyl.

I definitely think that if we get starter split forms that they have the potential to differ more than people here give credit. Rockruff's forms differ in colour scheme, stance, even attitude and demeanor, yet still match its base and lore. I wouldn't use this as a basis for a qudraped litten if you desperately want it, but I definitely think it's possible. My advice is that if it will severely disappoint you not to get a qudraped litten assume we won't get forms at all and prepare for the worst.

Thing is, if the secret is shared and it is split forms, it stands to reason that the changes could be similar to Rockruff's evo and he has a more bestial form and another more humanoid. That could be just a play on a wolf legend, but as similar mammal it's not out of the question that litten could get the same treatment.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I've been meaning to ask, are there other leaks that mention split evos other than what was one of the big ones?

Because the one I'm thinking of is totally bunk since Rockruff's evolution listed there is contradicted by the one it actually is

As Knightwolf09 said, not many. I can only think of two, both of which were from Bulbapedia, with one of which mentioning Alolan Arcanine (which is dubious at best) and the other that has Z-moves for each form.

As for the topic itself, I hope they do it because I feel the concept has so much potential, but I'm a bit cautious since the secret could be something else (though I feel split evos is a good possibility).

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I definitely think that if we get starter split forms that they have the potential to differ more than people here give credit. Rockruff's forms differ in colour scheme, stance, even attitude and demeanor, yet still match its base and lore. I wouldn't use this as a basis for a qudraped litten if you desperately want it, but I definitely think it's possible. My advice is that if it will severely disappoint you not to get a qudraped litten assume we won't get forms at all and prepare for the worst.

Thing is, if the secret is shared and it is split forms, it stands to reason that the changes could be similar to Rockruff's evo and he has a more bestial form and another more humanoid. That could be just a play on a wolf legend, but as similar mammal it's not out of the question that litten could get the same treatment.

That's what I think could happen with all three starters honestly. The other forms for all of them will be made to look more animalistic and natural.

Another thing for rockruff, compare the front arms/legs for both. The ones for the night are lankier and skinnier and look more like arms while the day one they look like front wolf legs.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Rockruff night also barely has a tail while days still keeps the tail from its prevo.

Yea that too, and honestly if you look at the smaller full art of both, there is even a very small different in the body shape, although not too much. When you combine all the differences though they actually are really different designs overall. So I really do think this can work.

Another thing that some brought up before of how the names of the evolutions could cause a problem, like how could a quadropedal natural litten have the same name as a wrestler litten. Remember that names like Liften are just fan head canon.
Think of like Tepig-pignite-Emboar. If pignite and emboar were quadropedal and more natural looking, those names would still fit just as much.

noakai

I've been meaning to ask, are there other leaks that mention split evos other than what was one of the big ones?

Because the one I'm thinking of is totally bunk since Rockruff's evolution listed there is contradicted by the one it actually is

The only leak that mentioned the starters having multiple evolutions also said that Rockruff had FOUR evos, that you evolved it by leaving it on one of the four islands after it learned Howl and it didn't mention anything about day/night. Two of the others got right that Rockruff became a werewolf but only one of them mentioned that it had 2 evos at all. So take that as you will.

B. Thunder Tiger

The leak, that being the one which stated that Rockruff had four different evolutions depending on which island you left it behind on, was always doubtful from the start, because if the secret of Rockruff, were to end up the same as the Starters, that means four different evo-forms for each of these starters. This alone was highly unlikely, because its too much. That means one would have to breed four of each of the starters and get all their evo-forms Day and Night are way more respectable and easier to get, that is, if the secret concerning the starters ends up being similar in the end.

More, the 12 hour difference between Sun and Moon, as well the Day and Night system are being put to the forefront heavily, not the islands.

I myself believe that the starters will have alternative Evo-Forms, and it will be themed after either humanoid-shape forms (Night) or Bestial-shape forms (Day). Whether they gain or lose a secondary typing with said change, I don't know. I think the first stage evos will start to point this out and be designed as such so it has the potential to be either form in their secondary stage of evolution. Similar to Lagurugan's Night Form, I think its easy to say that Litten's Night Form, looking at the leaked concept art, is that of a were-tiger/cat heel wrestler, hence its common agreement of it being a Fire/Dark type.

Note: I use the term "Evo Forms" because it differs from the term "Formes", and because it happens when Pokémon like Rockruff evolves, rather than changing into a different forme everytime. Forme, to me, just depicts the ability to change into a different forme at any time through a item or some other trigger and can be reversed at will.

Last edited:

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
So, the new spread Serebii hosted reveal Lougaragan forms are version exclusive. If we are assuming its evolution and the starters will follow the same pattern...

Hopefully Litten can become either bipedal or a quadruped then.
And Popplio could also have feminine-like and masculine-like evos.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
So, the new spread Serebii hosted reveal Lougaragan forms are version exclusive. If we are assuming its evolution and the starters will follow the same pattern...

Except we're not...

Yes, it reads as "Moon limited evolution" and "Sun limited evolution", but the first scan clearly stated that it was the time of day that determined the Form it took on upon evolving. The information is highly contradictory. Also, "limited" is not necessarily the same as "exclusive".

Orphalesion

I agree that we have to be careful about language and translations. But I will say (not as evidence either way but a point to consider) we don't even know how the concept art leaked initially. If it wasn't done by Nintendo itself (some people suspect that some leaks/rumors are actually written off on and done by then as a part of their hype building pre-release info plan to promote the games), then it was likely a third or even fourth party extension. No one on main staff would risk that, there are heaps of legal problems involved to do that. So it would be someone who doesn't work there, but knowo someone along the chain of command and got a hold of it, and as you go down the chain, your access to info is limited (they could still be employees on some level, but likely far, far down the chain). They don't have all of it, only what they can get. Its why people who leak screenshots of the video trailers only do the trailers... It's all they have. We have no reason to assume that whoever leaked it could get all of them...they didn't even get the middle forms for a start. I don't think leakers can really just waltz up and get whatever they ask for.

EDIT: this doesn't mean that there are starter split forms. Again, I am of the "speculation is fun but wait for official reveal before considering something 100% confirmed" camp. Even the very likely real concept art :)

No worries I understand what you mean :)

And I know that Leakers have to leak what they can get hold off, but that's exactly why I am sorta skeptical. I mena it would have been very lucky for the leaker to get hold of one evolution for each starter instad of say, one for poplio and two for rowlet (and none for Litten) or stuff like that. If the leaker got hold of three art pieces out of possible six, there would have been 20 possible combinations and we got lucky and just happened to get one of the 7 combos were each of the starter is present?

Possible, and I'm probably overthinking it, but it causes some doubts with me. Either with the leaks or with the evolution form theory...

In any case if they exist I hope Litten3alt is a "face" wrestler, Popp3alt is still beautiful and Rowlet3alt looks less goofy.

Last edited:

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Except we're not...

Yes, it reads as "Moon limited evolution" and "Sun limited evolution", but the first scan clearly stated that it was the time of day that determined the Form it took on upon evolving. The information is highly contradictory. Also, "limited" is not necessarily the same as "exclusive".
The first scans didn't said they are day/night evolutions, we just assumed that.

First scans say that midday is acheived after bathing in the "power of the sun" while the midnight is in "the power of the moon".

The logical conclusion was that it would be a time based evolution, but now the new scans are out clearly stating they are exclusive (yes, they use the word) it would mean something like "the world in the Sun version gets more power from the sun/is more related to the sun" and the opposite in moon.

The informations are not contradictory, they are complementary. They only seem contradictory because we got half of them first, draw our conclusions based on that, then got the second half and it contradicted our conclusions (our conclusions, not the first information).

EDIT:
Serebii just posted in the new pokémon thread and the whole "sun/moon power" being related to each version apparently has to do with which box legendary is available in that "world":
So, there's a bit hidden in the corner which gives more explanation of the evolution

"They need the power of the sun and the moon to evolve. And hey, speaking of the sun and the moon, those legendaries...?!

However, what matters for this thread is: if Rockruff's evolution is just as the starters as many of us are assuming, it would mean the starters not only are getting two different forms, but they will be version exclusive as well?

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Except we're not...

I agree. The scans were quite contradictory. I'm still not convinced they are going to be version exclusive due to the spelling. 'Limited' in this case could only mean that 'it is limited in a version or the other depending on the prominent time of the day you play in'. Midnight Lugarugan might be harder to get in Sun because players tend to play the majority of their time in the game's day, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.