• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TyLogic

Friend Safari did the trick in the past, so I'd expect something similar this time around, if anything.

Oh. Well, I don't mind having a Rowlet or Litten with Overgrow or Blaze respectively. I don't know how those do competitively but I plan on playing competitively this time around.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
More, for all we know, the Evolution difference could kick in at the first stage, rather than the first stage. The typings can also change because of these forms. Just because Rockruff kept its Type throughout both its evolutionary forms, doesn't automatically mean the starters will do so the same, seeing as they and Rockruff do not share the secret as it was said. Of course, the secret itself can still be the same in a general manner, but be different for the starters this time ahead. The outrage about the Final Evos for the starters, mainly for Litten, is because a lot of people don't want to see Fire/Fighting anymore after getting the type combo 3 gens in a row. Can you blame them for looking at Litten for the first time and coming out with negative responses? I sure can't blame them. Of course, it doesn't help that Fighting emphasizes a lot with humanoid fighters, seeing as Fighting type can also work for Quad bodied PKMN.

that (^bolded) isn't necessarily the case. The japanese wording isn't explicit in this regard, and so the secret(s) may or may not be the same, related, or not really related. We'll just have to wait and see.

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
If the starters do have two forms in their final stage, I could see both of them getting the normal starter ability(Overgrow, Blaze, Torrent), but as the hidden ability, I can see the two forms having unique abilities, I can also see exclusive Z Moves for both of the forms.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
If the theory of the starters having multiple forms similar to Lycanroc. And assuming that what we have seen are all midnight forms. Then when we do see the middle stages, they probably won't resemble the midnight forms we have seen so much. Moreso just being bigger versions of the basic stages. I can see that causing confusion if that's the case.

TyLogic

That makes sense. I hope they reveal 10 pokemon including the starters on the 4th! XD

B. Thunder Tiger

Well, as of today, on 26th of September, my pet black cat Spooky has died due to what seemed to be a heart attack or intense violent suffocation in the garden. I was unable to do anything, and that part alone is what hurt the most. Sorry, I needed to get this out of my system, so sorry in advance for being slightly off-topic. That said, I have always doubted choosing between Popplion and Litten, but with what has happened today, my decision has been made in me picking the cat starter Litten as my first Pokémon to use in the Alola Region, and which will serve as a tribute to my passed away buddy. Its the least I can do, after watching myself being powerless to do anything for my beloved buddy as he was slowly leaving his life behind in pain. As such, it doesn't matter to me anymore whether Litten or the starters in general have alternate forms or not. That and I have pretty much warmed up to the whole Heel Wrestler theme, so yeah.

Last edited:
@^: I'm so sorry your cat passed away. I know how it feels to watch a pet die slowly in agony, unable to help soothe them. It's gut-wrenching, and it's even worse for me because I know our neighbors poisoned our dog, and we can do nothing to prove it in order to get justice.

That being said, I really wanna start with Rowlet this gen. For one, I haven't picked the Grass starter since Gen 1, and I usually try to distribute my starter selections evenly across generations. Gen 6 was the exclusion because I love foxes, and Fennekin turned out to be fairly awesome when fully evolved. And for two, owlets are just so cute! If it evolves into a totally lethal bird of prey, that'd be even better! However, I will trust leaks ONLY when Joe reports on them, so this talk of the starters evolving similarly to Rockruff, this talk of their leaked designs, etc., I will 100% disbelieve until I see them posted on the front page of Serebii.net. I wonder what compels people to even believe leaks in the first place?

B. Thunder Tiger

@^: I'm so sorry your cat passed away. I know how it feels to watch a pet die slowly in agony, unable to help soothe them. It's gut-wrenching, and it's even worse for me because I know our neighbors poisoned our dog, and we can do nothing to prove it in order to get justice.

That being said, I really wanna start with Rowlet this gen. For one, I haven't picked the Grass starter since Gen 1, and I usually try to distribute my starter selections evenly across generations. Gen 6 was the exclusion because I love foxes, and Fennekin turned out to be fairly awesome when fully evolved. And for two, owlets are just so cute! If it evolves into a totally lethal bird of prey, that'd be even better! However, I will trust leaks ONLY when Joe reports on them, so this talk of the starters evolving similarly to Rockruff, this talk of their leaked designs, etc., I will 100% disbelieve until I see them posted on the front page of Serebii.net. I wonder what compels people to even believe leaks in the first place?

Thanks for the condolences. Means a lot.

That said, pretty cool you're going to pick Rowlet. As for the point with leaks...and why people want to believe them...I guess people just want to know out of nature, so they will believe anything that sounds remotely possible. Even if not true, its still fun to speculate, unless it goes too far and the discussion gets too hot to go on.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
I usually don't take leaks seriously at all, and I didn't take either of the big 2 leaks (Starter evos & Chinese Leak) seriously at first either. However, now that there is mountains of evidence to support them I tend to believe them to be 99% real. Even Joe said on twitter after Mallow was revealed that he thinks the starter evo leak looks like it's real but he wouldn't post it on the site because of the take down notices other places had been getting about the photos.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
@B. Thunder Tiger, I'm sorry to hear about your cat, it's always hard to be in a position like that and I hope you're doing OK.

I'm also looking forward to picking Litten, also for personal reasons.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Well, as of today, on 26th of September, my pet black cat Spooky has died due to what seemed to be a heart attack or intense violent suffocation in the garden. I was unable to do anything, and that part alone is what hurt the most. Sorry, I needed to get this out of my system, so sorry in advance for being slightly off-topic. That said, I have always doubted choosing between Popplion and Litten, but with what has happened today, my decision has been made in me picking the cat starter Litten as my first Pokémon to use in the Alola Region, and which will serve as a tribute to my passed away buddy. Its the least I can do, after watching myself being powerless to do anything for my beloved buddy as he was slowly leaving his life behind in pain. As such, it doesn't matter to me anymore whether Litten or the starters in general have alternate forms or not. That and I have pretty much warmed up to the whole Heel Wrestler theme, so yeah.

Many condolances for your loss. I was in your position not too long ago, around 1.5 years. When Litten was announced, I was initially going to pick him as well for personal reasons, though the leaked-final evolution turned me off due to its unmatching personality. Now, I'm looking forward to that "Breed-Father's-Type" cat Pokémon.

B. Thunder Tiger

@B. Thunder Tiger, I'm sorry to hear about your cat, it's always hard to be in a position like that and I hope you're doing OK.

I'm also looking forward to picking Litten, also for personal reasons.

Yeah, I will be doing okay...I just need time to get through it, is all. 14 years of having spent time with him is hard to swallow and get over with after it happened so fast. It was like...a lightning bolt striking on a clear day. It was that unexpected. But yeah, I will be picking Litten as I originally intended, but this time, its not for its evolutions or anything, but rather, as a final tribute to my cat, seeing as both are black of color, so its a nice reminder.

Many condolances for your loss. I was in your position not too long ago, around 1.5 years. When Litten was announced, I was initially going to pick him as well for personal reasons, though the leaked-final evolution turned me off due to its unmatching personality. Now, I'm looking forward to that "Breed-Father's-Type" cat Pokémon.

Thanks WhiteBlair. Yeah, the initial evolution of Litten through the art leak may not have been what people wanted, but I always liked the design somewhat. Especially with the whole Heel theme going on. Now whether it has a alternate evolution or not, won't really change my opinion on the Heel wrestler evo either. If I get both games, I'd likely choose Litten again. As for that Breed-Father's Type Cat....who knows? It does sound interesting at the very least.

Last edited:

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Thunder, very sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you can keep a positive outlook and have fond memories of Spooky.

As time goes on I forget about the starters. By the time the games come out I am going to be so excited to experience the whole game that even if the starters don't have alternate forms, I will enjoy them.

Rhynox

Personally have a connection with rowlett. Usually I tend to be a little hipstery with starters, preferring the less popular ones. But when I was younger I actually got the chance to rescue and owl that was trying to kill our chickens and got caught in netting, and had a strong connection with it. They're crazy smart, it legit realized I was helping it after a while and stopped attacking me, even after it was freed. We had to take care of it for a little while cause it was pretty malnourished. One of my best memories. So yeah anyway Rowlett's gonna be my guy, partially because of that

TyLogic

I like Rowlet. I like owls too but they annoy me because I can hear them but I can't see them. Maybe that's why they made it's final evolution look stealthy! I wanted to choose Litten because I have a soft spot for tigers. If it's a tiger I don't care, I like it! Popplio is a unique starter pokemon. I think sea lions are called pinnepeds (Like quadreped and biped)? It's a different take on a starter. They all are really. Well Litten isn't as much.

On a side note, I don't think we will get a Fire starter that doesn't end up looking like a Fire-Fighting type until they decide to make a Fire-type snake starter (chinese zodiac). Rabbit, Ox, Sheep (correct me if i'm wrong here please :)). They all have a possibility of being humanoid. Ox the least IMO. I'd love to see the ox though!

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I like Rowlet. I like owls too but they annoy me because I can hear them but I can't see them. Maybe that's why they made it's final evolution look stealthy! I wanted to choose Litten because I have a soft spot for tigers. If it's a tiger I don't care, I like it! Popplio is a unique starter pokemon. I think sea lions are called pinnepeds (Like quadreped and biped)? It's a different take on a starter. They all are really. Well Litten isn't as much.

On a side note, I don't think we will get a Fire starter that doesn't end up looking like a Fire-Fighting type until they decide to make a Fire-type snake starter (chinese zodiac). Rabbit, Ox, Sheep (correct me if i'm wrong here please :)). They all have a possibility of being humanoid. Ox the least IMO. I'd love to see the ox though!
Nah, GF is gonna find some way to make them Fire/Fighting.

Even the snake.

TyLogic

Nah, GF is gonna find some way to make them Fire/Fighting.

Even the snake.

What are they gonna do? Give the snake a fist for a tongue and tail! HAHA :D...Wait... I think I just gave GF an idea.

HydroBR

@ThunderTiger
That's tough, man... My condolences to you, wish you the best in this moment.

About movepool (STABs mainly) and stats, what do you think the starters are gonna get?
Assuming the leaks are real, Popplio3 and Litten3 seem pretty obvious to me, the first being special based, getting the regular special Water and Fairy moves, and the last being physical based, getting the fire moves we all know, and dark moves like Feint Attack, Bite, Crunch, Knock Off.

But about Rowlet3 i'm not so sure. I can see it going both physical and special. If physical, the most obvious attacks would be Razor Leaf while leveling up, and Leaf Blade being it's most notorious STAB. At first i thought it would be weird, but nobody said that Blade must be a melee weapon. Oh, Petal Blizzard fits too. About flying moves, most of them makes sense, and as its strongest options, both Acrobatics and Brave Bird would work. For setup, Swords Dance would look weird, but whatever.
Also, Sniper makes a lot of sense for a Hidden Ability, and would benefit a physical Rowlet3 greatly.

If it goes special, on the other hand, i guess Magical Leaf, Leaf Tornado and Leaf Storm. Special flying moves are always a problem, it could get Gust at first, then Air Cutter, then Air Slash. Hurricane is awesome as well, but that accuracy is lame. That way, if it got an ability to help with its accuracy, it would be awesome. No Guard fits, Compound Eyes would be useful but is more related to Bugs. It could get some ability with the same effect, but with a different name. Something like Sharpshooter, Bullseye, or anything like that.

Last edited:

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
I want to say that the starters having pseudo split evolutions is pretty much confirmed, seeing as how corocoro from months ago stated the starters and rockruff share a secret. is this the general consensus? i'm all for it. technically the same pokemon, technically not. i hope the sun version is my favorite of each kind, because i've yet to decide who i will start with but ive decided im getting sun only, to start lol

TyLogic

@ThunderTiger
That's tough, man... My condolences to you, wish you the best in this moment.

About movepool (STABs mainly) and stats, what do you think the starters are gonna get?
Assuming the leaks are real, Popplio3 and Litten3 seem pretty obvious to me, the first being special based, getting the regular special Water and Fairy moves, and the last being physical based, getting the fire moves we all know, and dark moves like Feint Attack, Bite, Crunch, Knock Off.

But about Rowlet3 i'm not so sure. I can see it going both physical and special. If physical, the most obvious attacks would be Razor Leaf while leveling up, and Leaf Blade being it's most notorious STAB. At first i thought it would be weird, but nobody said that Blade must be a melee weapon. Oh, Petal Blizzard fits too. About flying moves, most of them makes sense, and as its strongest options, both Acrobatics and Brave Bird would work. For setup, Swords Dance would look weird, but whatever.
Also, Sniper makes a lot of sense for a Hidden Ability, and would benefit a physical Rowlet3 greatly.

If it goes special, on the other hand, i guess Magical Leaf, Leaf Tornado and Leaf Storm. Special flying moves are always a problem, it could get Gust at first, then Air Cutter, then Air Slash. Hurricane is awesome as well, but that accuracy is lame. That way, if it got an ability to help with its accuracy, it would be awesome. No Guard fits, Compound Eyes would be useful but is more related to Bugs. It could get some ability with the same effect, but with a different name. Something like Sharpshooter, Bullseye, or anything like that.

Is Rowlet our first Grass-type bird? I was wondering what kind of moves a Grass-type bird would use. Maybe Rowlet knows Razor Leaf and... That's all I can think of right now. I know that there are others but I can't think of any right now. Maybe that's why they gave it Leafage. (Which I think might be a signature move)

Status
Not open for further replies.