• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

knightwolf09

I want to say that the starters having pseudo split evolutions is pretty much confirmed, seeing as how corocoro from months ago stated the starters and rockruff share a secret. is this the general consensus? i'm all for it. technically the same pokemon, technically not. i hope the sun version is my favorite of each kind, because i've yet to decide who i will start with but ive decided im getting sun only, to start lol

I really wish Joe rewrote that article when he knew the real translation. Then nobody would have this massive confusion. Corocoro never said Rockruff and the starter SHARED a secret. Only that they both have secrets. So don't get your hopes too high up for split forms.

I like Rowlet. I like owls too but they annoy me because I can hear them but I can't see them. Maybe that's why they made it's final evolution look stealthy! I wanted to choose Litten because I have a soft spot for tigers. If it's a tiger I don't care, I like it! Popplio is a unique starter pokemon. I think sea lions are called pinnepeds (Like quadreped and biped)? It's a different take on a starter. They all are really. Well Litten isn't as much.

On a side note, I don't think we will get a Fire starter that doesn't end up looking like a Fire-Fighting type until they decide to make a Fire-type snake starter (chinese zodiac). Rabbit, Ox, Sheep (correct me if i'm wrong here please :)). They all have a possibility of being humanoid. Ox the least IMO. I'd love to see the ox though!

I'm sorry but you NEED to excuse a humanoid bull starter in the future. I always wanted a minotaur pokemon please don't get mad at that.

Last edited:

TyLogic

Talking and speculating about the starters possible secrect is getting a little tedious. I really hope they reveal something starter wise on the 4th...

B. Thunder Tiger

Thunder, very sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you can keep a positive outlook and have fond memories of Spooky.

As time goes on I forget about the starters. By the time the games come out I am going to be so excited to experience the whole game that even if the starters don't have alternate forms, I will enjoy them.

Thanks for your kind words. I will be moving on, but it will be hard for sure. And yeah, by the time the games release, which isn't very long now, I too will be enjoying them fullhearted in the end. And the first I will do so with, is Litten. That now has become my personal choice.

@ThunderTiger
That's tough, man... My condolences to you, wish you the best in this moment.

About movepool (STABs mainly) and stats, what do you think the starters are gonna get?
Assuming the leaks are real, Popplio3 and Litten3 seem pretty obvious to me, the first being special based, getting the regular special Water and Fairy moves, and the last being physical based, getting the fire moves we all know, and dark moves like Feint Attack, Bite, Crunch, Knock Off.

But about Rowlet3 i'm not so sure. I can see it going both physical and special. If physical, the most obvious attacks would be Razor Leaf while leveling up, and Leaf Blade being it's most notorious STAB. At first i thought it would be weird, but nobody said that Blade must be a melee weapon. Oh, Petal Blizzard fits too. About flying moves, most of them makes sense, and as its strongest options, both Acrobatics and Brave Bird would work. For setup, Swords Dance would look weird, but whatever.
Also, Sniper makes a lot of sense for a Hidden Ability, and would benefit a physical Rowlet3 greatly.

If it goes special, on the other hand, i guess Magical Leaf, Leaf Tornado and Leaf Storm. Special flying moves are always a problem, it could get Gust at first, then Air Cutter, then Air Slash. Hurricane is awesome as well, but that accuracy is lame. That way, if it got an ability to help with its accuracy, it would be awesome. No Guard fits, Compound Eyes would be useful but is more related to Bugs. It could get some ability with the same effect, but with a different name. Something like Sharpshooter, Bullseye, or anything like that.

Thanks for your kind words. Means a lot. And yeah, looking at the movesets for the Alolan starters, I think you're pretty much on point here. I can't really add much to it, xD.

TyLogic

Well... I didn't think they shared something, but at least now it's clear.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
Just to clarify, yes the starter/rockruff share secret thing is a mistranslation that has spread around. People combined Rockruff having a secret with CoroCoro mentioning stuff about the starters and that has perpetuated.

Thanks for the clarification!

Obviously this doesn't preclude there from being a Sun form and Moon form of the starter evolutions, but I did always think it was a stretch. It just doesn't seem like something they'd do.

B. Thunder Tiger

Okay, so its clear that the starters and Rockruff do not share a secret. But, if so, is it still possible the secret is still the same between them in nature?

future.newyorker

Just to clarify, yes the starter/rockruff share secret thing is a mistranslation that has spread around. People combined Rockruff having a secret with CoroCoro mentioning stuff about the starters and that has perpetuated.

Thanks for the clarification, for some reason people were taking it as religious fact that Rockruff and the Starters just had to share the same secret, and anyone with a differing opinion was criticized for it.

.Aerodactyl.

Okay, so its clear that the starters and Rockruff do not share a secret. But, if so, is it still possible the secret is still the same between them in nature?

I honestly think it is most likely that they are similar in nature (perhaps the starters have some sort of version exclusive aspect to them, like a z-crystal or held item or HA, etc). But it certainly isn't confirmed that they are the same. The fact that it was brought up at all, in the same sentence with Rockruff and not in the info specific to the starters themselves strongly implies that they link in some way. It's like the "little girl" line for UB-01... They don't say it's Lillie, but the implication is there. Or even when the Rockruff evo was shown and they said some along the lines of 'speaking of the legends' and we found out it's the power of the legends that help unlock the forms. It's all about the placement of the text.

So no, don't think it guarantees split evos for the starters, but I do think it's possible. At the very least, I think there's SOMETHING special about them, large or small! I'd like split evos, but I'd be fine without as well.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost

Well... I didn't think they shared something, but at least now it's clear.

Thanks for the clarification!

Obviously this doesn't preclude there from being a Sun form and Moon form of the starter evolutions, but I did always think it was a stretch. It just doesn't seem like something they'd do.

Whoa everyone, as Serebii said, the "share a secret" was a mistranslation, but neither did the text explicitly say that the secret was different. Basically, there's no saying either way, or at least that's how I took it. For everyone's reference, here is the Japanese text and my own best effort at a translation.

http://www.serebii.net/corocoro7162.jpg (The bottom circle)

{reffering to rockruff}
小さな体にヒミツが。。。!!
‘In (its) small body there’s a SECRET...!!’

{right next to the above in the same circle in smaller text}
実は最初のパートナーとなるポケモンもビックリのヒミツを持つ。。。!?
‘The truth is, (your) starter pokemon also hold (a) SUPRISING SECRET...!?’
(Note that Japanese does not have an equivalent of the English indefinite articles a/an/the, and thus the (a) above is included in parenthesis just to make the translated version grammatical and should not be assigned any particular meaning.)

So, think how you want to think, just don't go around bashing anyone or toting your view, whichever way you lean, as confirmed.

B. Thunder Tiger

I'd say possible but not likely. I think what we've seen is what we get.

I honestly think it is most likely that they are similar in nature (perhaps the starters have some sort of version exclusive aspect to them, like a z-crystal or held item or HA, etc). But it certainly isn't confirmed that they are the same. The fact that it was brought up at all, in the same sentence with Rockruff and not in the info specific to the starters themselves strongly implies that they link in some way. It's like the "little girl" line for UB-01... They don't say it's Lillie, but the implication is there. Or even when the Rockruff evo was shown and they said some along the lines of 'speaking of the legends' and we found out it's the power of the legends that help unlock the forms. It's all about the placement of the text.

So no, don't think it guarantees split evos for the starters, but I do think it's possible. At the very least, I think there's SOMETHING special about them, large or small! I'd like split evos, but I'd be fine without as well.

Okay, thanks for the answers. I just wanted to know for sure.

Whoa everyone, as Serebii said, the "share a secret" was a mistranslation, but neither did the text explicitly say that the secret was different. Basically, there's no saying either way, or at least that's how I took it. For everyone's reference, here is the Japanese text and my own best effort at a translation.

http://www.serebii.net/corocoro7162.jpg (The bottom circle)

{reffering to rockruff}
小さな体にヒミツが。。。!!
‘In (its) small body there’s a SECRET...!!’

{right next to the above in the same circle in smaller text}
実は最初のパートナーとなるポケモンもビックリのヒミツを持つ。。。!?
‘The truth is, (your) starter pokemon also hold (a) SUPRISING SECRET...!?’
(Note that Japanese does not have an equivalent of the English indefinite articles a/an/the, and thus the (a) above is included in parenthesis just to make the translated version grammatical and should not be assigned any particular meaning.)

So, think how you want to think, just don't go around bashing anyone or toting your view, whichever way you lean, as confirmed.

Umm...where was I being someone who was bashing? I was just asking a question. That is all.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
Umm...where was I being someone who was bashing? I was just asking a question. That is all.

Ah, sorry if it seemed like I referencing you in that statement; I wasn't referring to you, or to anyone else, really. I was referencing what someone else said had been happening. Asking questions is good. :)

Thanks for the clarification, for some reason people were taking it as religious fact that Rockruff and the Starters just had to share the same secret, and anyone with a differing opinion was criticized for it.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I mean the starters still have a secret that we don't know, plus corocoro has been known to be vague about stuff before. I think the split evos stiill have a decent chance regardless.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
I mean the starters still have a secret that we don't know, plus corocoro has been known to be vague about stuff before. I think the split evos stiill have a decent chance regardless.

that's what I'm hoping for, but I can't help thinking it's "too good to be true". But it'll definitely be interesting to see what's in store.

As for being vague, japanese in general leaves a lot unsaid, lol... or perhaps I should say that we just like to be really explicit in English, with requirements that we put information in our sentences that could perfectly well be gleaned from context.

Relax

If the starters have evolutions based on day/night, I really hope the evolutions are not version exclusive. Even though it would stimulate trading. I am just so curious about the secret! It can be everything.

Z moves( although some other pokémon have it too like muchlax etc)
Version exclusive evolutions
Day/night evolutions
Story related

Can be everything at this point! Let's hope October will be the month we know more about the starters.
Only 54 days left untill release for us in the Europe. And 49 days for the people in US and Japan.

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
Imo, there are 3 possible things that the starters could have as a secret...

Scenario A: Z Forms, it's a possibility that the starters each have a signature Z Move, and when said move is used, it can transform into a more powerful Z Form, I wouldn't want to see too many of these though as it would overshadow Mega Evolution.
Scenario B: Version exclusive/day and night forms for the final evolutions, I would love these, all I really have to say.
Secnario C: The starters and Rockruff(or maybe their evolutions) were used to create Type: Null, even if the other 2 are true, this one certainly can be also, the alchemy connection is getting too deep.

sheld999

Imo, there are 3 possible things that the starters could have as a secret...

Scenario A: Z Forms, it's a possibility that the starters each have a signature Z Move, and when said move is used, it can transform into a more powerful Z Form, I wouldn't want to see too many of these though as it would overshadow Mega Evolution.
Scenario B: Version exclusive/day and night forms for the final evolutions, I would love these, all I really have to say.
Secnario C: The starters and Rockruff(or maybe their evolutions) were used to create Type: Null, even if the other 2 are true, this one certainly can be also, the alchemy connection is getting too deep.

what about the starters need rock ruff in the party in order to get a secret evoultion ? like how you need spare space for shrednija

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
what about the starters need rock ruff in the party in order to get a secret evoultion ? like how you need spare space for shrednija

Level up Rockruff with a Rowlet, Litten and Popplio in your part while it holds some Alchemy item to evolve it into Type: Null

Status
Not open for further replies.