• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

future.newyorker

That bit about Rockruff's evo having a secret in common with the starters was confirmed to be a mistranslation. All it said was that Rockruff's evo and the starters each had a secret, it did not say that they had that secret in common with each other. Also, we now know Rockruff's evo's secret--Lycanroc has version-exclusive alternate forms. As for the starters' secret, we'll have to wait and see. Perhaps that info will come with the October 4th reveal?

I don't think that they'll reveal that without hyping it up first like they did with Lycanroc and are currently doing with Type: Null.

Charmander27

Very Melon
I hope we get something on the starters. If not Tuesday then sometime this month. I've been hype for the evolution's ever since that French Twitter post!
I've lost all interest in the starters, so I hope that there is some new news is coming out for them to light my fire for them again.

I like every single officially announced Pokémon, including the first evolution of the starters, but the starter final evolution leaks I do not like at all. With so much other stuff getting it so right, I won't be wasting my time if they all end up that ugly.
(Yeah, Bruxish isn't the best, but I think it would look great in another color scheme, so I'm holding out for the shiny. Still, I don't hate it like I do the leaks).

future.newyorker

I've lost all interest in the starters, so I hope that there is some new news is coming out for them to light my fire for them again.

I like every single officially announced Pokémon, including the first evolution of the starters, but the starter final evolution leaks I do not like at all. With so much other stuff getting it so right, I won't be wasting my time if they all end up that ugly.
(Yeah, Bruxish isn't the best, but I think it would look great in another color scheme, so I'm holding out for the shiny. Still, I don't hate it like I do the leaks).

We haven't officially gotten any starter evolutions.

Julia Artemis

Not a fan at all of Bruxish and especially Yungoos/Gumshoos. But other than that I like the rest.

Orphalesion

IDK I love Bruxish, especially the colourblind colourscheme! I'ts the Ke$ha fish ^-^. Of the leaked evolutions I like Litten3 and absolutely adore Pop3, but Rowlet3 leaves me cold.

For the pokedex as a whole, I can't say that I like every pokemon but this generation seems like it will add quite a number of favourites to my list (like every generation really). More pokemon is always nice.

The Alola Pokemon I'm don't like are: Rockruff (but I like its evolutions) Komala ((looks like a little, bald old man), Pikipek, Yungoos/Gumshoos (sooo ugly), Drampa (meh..also reminds me of that Dragon from the Neverending Story and I hate that book) Togedemaru (just another Pika-clone) Comfey (so Flabebe and Klefki had a baby?) Formantis/Lurantis (sooooo boring, and pretty ugly imho) and Turtonator (ugly as sin and reminds me of some weird anime monster I can't quite remember and it drives me crazy...also Gamera and I don't like Gamera) so, I like 3/4 of the revealed Pokedex, not bad...

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
At this point Rowlet's evolution has grown on me enough so I at least won't have to box the starter in the case that there aren't split evos for them, but I'm still hoping there are. I'm also really interested in rowlet's mid evo.

knightwolf09

IDK I love Bruxish, especially the colourblind colourscheme! I'ts the Ke$ha fish ^-^. Of the leaked evolutions I like Litten3 and absolutely adore Pop3, but Rowlet3 leaves me cold.

For the pokedex as a whole, I can't say that I like every pokemon but this generation seems like it will add quite a number of favourites to my list (like every generation really). More pokemon is always nice.

The Alola Pokemon I'm don't like are: Rockruff (but I like its evolutions) Komala ((looks like a little, bald old man), Pikipek, Yungoos/Gumshoos (sooo ugly), Drampa (meh..also reminds me of that Dragon from the Neverending Story and I hate that book) Togedemaru (just another Pika-clone) Comfey (so Flabebe and Klefki had a baby?) Formantis/Lurantis (sooooo boring, and pretty ugly imho) and Turtonator (ugly as sin and reminds me of some weird anime monster I can't quite remember and it drives me crazy...also Gamera and I don't like Gamera) so, I like 3/4 of the revealed Pokedex, not bad...

This is not an insult or anything, but you sound hard to please with designs.

TyLogic

I like all the starter final evolutions in terms of design, but I can see why others don't. I'm thinking about choosing Rowlet, but back when I was 100% on Litten, I saw the leak and was disappointed. Out of all of them, Litten3 just seemed so...basic. I wonder what changes Litten will have as Litten2, because it doesn't seem like alot. The only thing I think is weird about Rowlet3 is the arrows. Where does it keep them? Are they feathers? Why are the quils so long then (I think they're called quils. Correct me if I'm wrong.)? For Popplio3, I didn't really have a problem with it. Having a slightly feminine starter is common now.

Gen5 feminine-Snivy-Grass
Gen6 feminine-Fennekin-Fire
Gen7 feminine-Popplio-Water

One feminine for each type. Though I'll admit, Popplio3 is the most feminine. And having those things on its head (starfish?) and hair is kind of weird. But I don't dislike it. Since they got all starter types a feminine, maybe there won't be a feminine starter in gen8? Anyways, I think they are all cool. But they are also very different from other starters.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
One feminine for each type. Though I'll admit, Popplio3 is the most feminine. And having those things on its head (starfish?) and hair is kind of weird. But I don't dislike it. Since they got all starter types a feminine, maybe there won't be a feminine starter in gen8? Anyways, I think they are all cool. But they are also very different from other starters.

Popplio's leaked final form beats the previous feminine starters in terms of girliness however. It's just too beautiful, but maybe not in a good way in my case since I like masculine starters. Every time I look at Popplio3's artwork, I'm reminded of The Little Mermaid. ^^;

R_N

I like all the starter final evolutions in terms of design, but I can see why others don't. I'm thinking about choosing Rowlet, but back when I was 100% on Litten, I saw the leak and was disappointed. Out of all of them, Litten3 just seemed so...basic. I wonder what changes Litten will have as Litten2, because it doesn't seem like alot. The only thing I think is weird about Rowlet3 is the arrows. Where does it keep them? Are they feathers? Why are the quils so long then (I think they're called quils. Correct me if I'm wrong.)? For Popplio3, I didn't really have a problem with it. Having a slightly feminine starter is common now.

Gen5 feminine-Snivy-Grass
Gen6 feminine-Fennekin-Fire
Gen7 feminine-Popplio-Water

I'm really not seeing what makes Snivy or Serperior "feminine". Nothing about the design really veers towards feminine or masculine. Just wearing royal markings & royal robes with a snobby "looks down on you" look.
Certainly not on the level of magical girl braixen/old witch delphox or siren/mermaid popplio3, at least.

Regardless I agree, I like all of them. They all have nice personality to them, i bet they look great in motion and they just have nice designs in general. Usually there's a design where that takes me a while to warm up to them (Emboar's beard situation is kind of awkward and kind of had weird motions, Delphox's extra fur felt really unbalanced and in motion it's not that great, non of blastoise's sprites are all that flattering, etc).

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
The thing is that while delphox is technically feminine, the whole concept of a witch is just something doesn't fall into the feminine category. Popplio being based on a mermaid/pop singer is extremely feminine, so that is something to point out.

glacialcat

I quite honestly cannot even fathom a design better than the leaked Rowlet3 and Poplio3.

Perhaps my tastes run counter to many others. I know many want evolutions to just be "Bigger, more monstrous versions of the base form" such as Generation 1 and 2's starters. But... I think those generations have very bland starters.

At least for me my order for starter final evolutions is something like:
1. Delphox/Greninja/Chesnaught (Love all 3, love the mage/fighter/thief theme)
2. Leak for Sun/Moon (Litten3 has to grow on me... but I blame Emboar for souring it for me more than Litten3's design in a vacuum)
3. Sceptile/Swampert/Blaziken
4. Venusaur/Blastoise/Charizard
5. Typhlosion/Meganium/Feraligatr
6. Samurott/Serperior/Emboar (I'd actually rate Oshawott/Snivy/Tepig among my favorites... but they lose a lot upon evolution, especially Oshawott)
7. Infernape/Torterra/Empoleon (Only generation I've ever considered boxing a starter. Infernape is okay, its grown on me over time.)

Different people can like different things... and I'm sorry that so many people seem to dislike the leaks, but personally I'm absolutely ecstatic for them.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

So the secrets behind Rockruff's evolutions and the starters aren't necessarily the same? I see. Sorry for the confusion.

I see some people talking about boxing their starters. To be honest, I've never been interested in doing that.
It's not to say I believe that some starters don't have particularly appealing final evolutions, but they've never been so bad that I'd box them, personally.
Usually if I don't like a starter's design, I just don't choose it. Those starters, coincidentally enough, tend to be the ones with final evolutions whose designs I don't enjoy as much.

For that matter, while I've generally been avoiding the starter evolution leaks, I'd heard about how Litten's final evolution looks, and it sounds kind of uninteresting to me. Perhaps a bit ironic, seeing as Litten is my least favorite of the Alola starters. I still like all 3 of them, though.

TyLogic

I'm really not seeing what makes Snivy or Serperior "feminine". Nothing about the design really veers towards feminine or masculine. Just wearing royal markings & royal robes with a snobby "looks down on you" look.
Certainly not on the level of magical girl braixen/old witch delphox or siren/mermaid popplio3, at least.

Regardless I agree, I like all of them. They all have nice personality to them, i bet they look great in motion and they just have nice designs in general. Usually there's a design where that takes me a while to warm up to them (Emboar's beard situation is kind of awkward and kind of had weird motions, Delphox's extra fur felt really unbalanced and in motion it's not that great, non of blastoise's sprites are all that flattering, etc).

Yeah, I agree with the Snivy and Serperior thing. They're not really feminine (Well Servine is IMO). But, it just seems like out of all of them, if they were made human or you could talk to them, Snivy's line would be a girl or have a feminine voice. Plus in Pokepark2 Wonders Beyond, Verdent Court had Queen Serperior and Snivy was a girl. Still, in general, they seem in the middle for me.

Charmander27

Very Melon
Yeah, I agree with the Snivy and Serperior thing. They're not really feminine (Well Servine is IMO). But, it just seems like out of all of them, if they were made human or you could talk to them, Snivy's line would be a girl or have a feminine voice. Plus in Pokepark2 Wonders Beyond, Verdent Court had Queen Serperior and Snivy was a girl. Still, in general, they seem in the middle for me.
I've never once thought that Snivy or its evolutions looked feminine, but I always do think that Chikorita's line appears feminine.

J.J. Knight

I've never once thought that Snivy or its evolutions looked feminine, but I always do think that Chikorita's line appears feminine.

Neither do I for Serperior, but I always like having my Serperior female for some reason. In regards for female starters, I usually think of Meganium, Serperior, and Delphox being more feminine. They aren't my only female starters that I use though, as I also have a female Greninja, Feraligator, and Typhlosion as the chosen genders for my Pokemon starters. When Sun and Moon drop and the leaked evolutions are correct, then the final Popplio evolution will certainly be female as well and possibly Rowlett's evolution as well. It ultimately depends if we'll get split starter forms. I really hope we do; I'd like to have a male and female starter of the forms.

knightwolf09

I never in my life considered boxing my starter. The game went through the effort of giving it to me to be my partner and to just practically throw it away because I don't like the final evolution of it seemed kinda shallow. Then again I'm one of the dummies that learns to love and appreciate all pokemon designs so there's not really one I hate or detest. Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.