• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

J.J. Knight

I never in my life considered boxing my starter. The game went through the effort of giving it to me to be my partner and to just practically throw it away because I don't like the final evolution of it seemed kinda shallow. Then again I'm one of the dummies that learns to love and appreciate all pokemon designs so there's not really one I hate or detest. Xp

100% agreed. I'm the same way. I love all Pokemon, flaws and all (except Magcargo and Torkoal. Screw those Pokemon lol jk)

TyLogic

So the secrets behind Rockruff's evolutions and the starters aren't necessarily the same? I see. Sorry for the confusion.

I see some people talking about boxing their starters. To be honest, I've never been interested in doing that.
It's not to say I believe that some starters don't have particularly appealing final evolutions, but they've never been so bad that I'd box them, personally.
Usually if I don't like a starter's design, I just don't choose it. Those starters, coincidentally enough, tend to be the ones with final evolutions whose designs I don't enjoy as much.

For that matter, while I've generally been avoiding the starter evolution leaks, I'd heard about how Litten's final evolution looks, and it sounds kind of uninteresting to me. Perhaps a bit ironic, seeing as Litten is my least favorite of the Alola starters. I still like all 3 of them, though.

I never box my starter either. And, well, no offense, but you can't really judge them if you haven't seen them. Maybe check them out one day before you get the game. It will still be new to you for about a week or so. But like I said, they aren't that bad in my opinion. Litten's just looks extremely basic. And the theme is kind of over-used. Some people don't like humanoid pokemon and all of the starters seem to be humanoid. It's a matter of opinion really. If a lot of people share a common opinion, it does not make it fact. Whether you like it or not is up to you. :D

Charmander27

Very Melon
I never in my life considered boxing my starter. The game went through the effort of giving it to me to be my partner and to just practically throw it away because I don't like the final evolution of it seemed kinda shallow. Then again I'm one of the dummies that learns to love and appreciate all pokemon designs so there's not really one I hate or detest. Xp

I am an extremely superficial Pokémon player, so my in-game team consists of me picking the most beautiful/cool looking Pokémon available, rather than any nostalgic reasoning. In most of the Pokémon games I box my starter (or trade in ones from the first three generations). Either I don't evolve them to "keep them beautiful" or I box them if they are ugly, it's as simple as that.

TyLogic

Question. How are starters competitively? Do people use the same starters they received in-game to battle competitively? They breed to get better abilities right? Are all starters good competitively or only a select few?

glacialcat

Question. How are starters competitively? Do people use the same starters they received in-game to battle competitively? They breed to get better abilities right? Are all starters good competitively or only a select few?

Starters are not universally good, nor universally bad. In most cases however the best ones rely upon Mega Evolution or Hidden Ability to be good. I know not everyone is a fan of Smogon, but here is a rough breakdown on starters in Smogon's tiers:

Ubers: Greninja, Blaziken, Mega Blaziken
OU: Mega Charizard X/Y. Serperior. Mega Venusaur.
UU: Mega Blastoise. Chesnaught. Empoleon. Infernape. Mega Sceptile. Swampert. Mega Swampert, Feraligatr.
RU: Delphox, Emboar, Venusaur, Blastoise, Sceptile
NU: Combusken (seriously), Torterra, Samurott, Charizard
PU: Meganium.

As you can see most of them cluster around the UU tier. All the starters above UU rely on either a Mega or a powerful ability (Protean, Speed Boost, Contrary).

I'm not as much into doubles (official VGC meta), so I don't know much about that. But I imagine Greninja and Blaziken would be good there since they wouldn't be banned.

Last edited:

TyLogic

Starters are not universally good, nor universally bad. In most cases however the best ones rely upon Mega Evolution or Hidden Ability to be good. I know not everyone is a fan of Smogon, but here is a rough breakdown on starters in Smogon's tiers:

UU: Mega Blastoise. Chesnaught. Empoleon. Infernape. Mega Sceptile. Swampert. Mega Swampert, Feraligatr.

As you can see most of them cluster around the UU tier. All the starters above UU rely on either a Mega or a powerful ability (Protean, Speed Boost, Contrary).

I'm not as much into doubles (official VGC meta), so I don't know much about that. But I imagine Greninja and Blaziken would be good there since they wouldn't be banned.

What's RU, NU and...all of them. What exactly do they mean?

goodpeople25

Never really considered boxing my starter either, (might in my next Y playthrough or the one after but that's cause I'm doing planned theme runs but then the theme is using all the starters :) ) and I'm also one of the people who can't really hate any pokemon.

glacialcat

What's RU, NU and...all of them. What exactly do they mean?

Ubers is the tier where all Pokemon are allowed (... except Mega Rayquasa, who was considered too strong and literally had to create a tier just to allow it called Anything Goes).

OU is the standard metagame. It stands for Overused. It bans legendaries such as Mewtwo, Lugia, etc, and any Pokemon deemed to be as strong as them (which the Smogon community votes on). This is where most Smogon players play, and its roughly around the same power level as the official VGC Championships since they usually ban legendaries.

UU is Underused, and its the next tier down. Anything in OU is banned from UU. And you continue. RU is below UU, anything in UU is banned from RU. NU is below RU, and PU is below NU.

This means that Blaziken and Greninja are considered significantly more powerful than standard Pokemon, because of their powerful Speed boost and Protean ability. Mega Charizard X/Y and Serperior are considered "strong," but not "overpowered." And you go down, Chesnaught and Swampert are UU, so you might call them "Good." Delphox is RU, so "Okay." And so on.

Last edited:

TyLogic

Ubers is the tier where all Pokemon are allowed (... except Mega Rayquasa, who was considered too strong and literally had to create a tier just to allow it called Anything Goes).

OU is the standard metagame. It stands for Overused. It bans legendaries such as Mewtwo, Lugia, etc, and any Pokemon deemed to be as strong as them (which the Smogon community votes on). This is where most Smogon players play, and its roughly around the same power level as the official VCG Championships since they usually ban legendaries.

UU is Underused, and its the next tier down. Anything in OU is banned from UU. And you continue. RU is below UU, anything in UU is banned from RU. NU is below RU, and PU is below NU.

So, Greninja and Mega Blaziken are in the Uber tier...And others are in the OU tier. So does that mean people use them often?

glacialcat

So, Greninja and Mega Blaziken are in the Uber tier...And others are in the OU tier. So does that mean people use them often?

Both Mega Charizards, Serperior, and Mega Venusaur find significant use in OU. While all the other starters are allowed to be used in OU, only a few have a strong enough niche that people actually use them. Chesnaught comes to mind as one that occasionally sees use in OU, even though its allowed to be used in UU as well. Basically if something was used enough in OU to match Serperior, it'd actually be considered OU.

If something is UU, you'll usually find it in UU battles. Essentially UU is just a tier people made so they could play with "worse" Pokemon than you'd usually find in OU.

XXD17

Draco rex

No...the starters you get at the beginning will be lackluster for sure. It's IV's will be bad, its ability will probably be bad and it has no egg moves...They are used to just play through the story. If you want competitively viable starters, you'll need to breed/build them later...usually after the story...

Last edited:

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
No...the starters you get at the beginning will be lackluster for sure. It's IV's will be bad, its ability will probably be bad and it has no egg moves...They are used to just play through the story. If you want competitively viable starters, you'll need to breed/build them later...usually after the story...

With hope. Hidden abilties and maybe even IV's ratios have been upped a bit for intitial starters. It only seems fair considering they are the first pokemon we recieve in the game. It would be nice to still be able to use an initial starter competitively...

Grey Wind

The thing is that while delphox is technically feminine, the whole concept of a witch is just something doesn't fall into the feminine category. Popplio being based on a mermaid/pop singer is extremely feminine, so that is something to point out.

How is a mer... person more explicitly feminine than a witch? Traditionally witches have always been female.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer

>Meganium is PU tier

D:

How is a mer... person more explicitly feminine than a witch? Traditionally witches have always been female.
Pop3 does appear to be more like a mermaid/siren, both of which or should I say "both of witch" ha ha funny joke are also always female.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'

Because witches aren't something that are considered feminine. When you think of witches, you think of like halloween, spooky stuff or even like harry potter. A mermaid on the other hand is something that is generally considered much more feminine in concept.

future.newyorker

Because witches aren't something that are considered feminine. When you think of witches, you think of like halloween, spooky stuff or even like harry potter. A mermaid on the other hand is something that is generally considered much more feminine in concept.

However; Witches are always female, wherein their male counterparts are called Wizards.

DSDark

Breeder
If people are thinking of boxing their starter they should pick a different one. That or if that's how they play good for them. I box my starter in there post game because I play competitively and most starters as mentioned aren't good. I go use greninja but it wasn't my starter and it's breed to have protean and be flawless.

Daemul

Wew, if only this was true. The best starter in the VGC format is Charizard, or more specifically Mega Charizard-Y. Blaziken and lolGreninja are not that good in the doubles format at all, though mixed Blaziken does have his uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.