• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowF

The only region that I box my starter in is Hoenn, and that's because I pick my starter in Hoenn based on what starter I want my rival to have.

I thought I was the only one! not in terms of boxing pokemon but in terms of getting a starter based on what I want my rival to have that lines up with pokemon adventures or whatever the offical press show him with. Like Silver who only looks right if he has a totodile with him. I guess that is why I am glad Gladion has Type:Null since it will make the picking of starters easier for me since one of my rivals dosent choose a starter.

future.newyorker

I thought I was the only one! not in terms of boxing pokemon but in terms of getting a starter based on what I want my rival to have that lines up with pokemon adventures or whatever the offical press show him with. Like Silver who only looks right if he has a totodile with him. I guess that is why I am glad Gladion has Type:Null since it will make the picking of starters easier for me since one of my rivals dosent choose a starter.

I still find it extremely odd that Hau, the person they've been calling your main rival, starts with the starter that's weak to your starter instead of the starter that's strong against your starter like previous generations.

Dragon Pulse

I agree! I am so picky when it comes to this. I find that Red only looks right with Charmander, Ethan/Gold with Cyndaquil, Calem (from X and Y) with Froakie, etc.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I still find it extremely odd that Hau, the person they've been calling your main rival, starts with the starter that's weak to your starter instead of the starter that's strong against your starter like previous generations.
Could be that Gladion is your (main) rival.

TyLogic

The only region that I box my starter in is Hoenn, and that's because I pick my starter in Hoenn based on what starter I want my rival to have.

I like Swampert. I never really battled competitively, but I've been to battle facilities. At the Battle Maison, it felt like my Swampert would just breeze through battles. It almost never lost. I like Double Battles, so when I threw out Swampert (with Ice Punch), I also threw out Salamence (with Flamethrower). They would cover each other's weaknesses, and almost never fainted. I chose Blaziken once. I don't know how to use it so it makes me nervous.

I hope the gen7 starters are cool. I haven't really calculated how many weaknesses or anything they have, and I don't know their moveset that much (well Litten's is becoming more evident). I hope Rowlet is good. I intend to start battling others competitively this time. Wish me luck! :D (I'm gonna need it...)

Orphalesion

I never in my life considered boxing my starter. The game went through the effort of giving it to me to be my partner and to just practically throw it away because I don't like the final evolution of it seemed kinda shallow. Then again I'm one of the dummies that learns to love and appreciate all pokemon designs so there's not really one I hate or detest. Xp

It's a game, so everybody can play it the way they want. The problem with the whole thing is that the game doesn't allow you to decline all the starters, you (for gameplay reasons) haveto choose one and keep it at least until you catch another pokemon. Why should people continue to use something they don't like only because it was forced on them? That seems a bit unfair.
And really the game forcing the player to choose between such an extremely limited number of pokemon is not that much effort on the side of the programmers.

I have boxed starters in the past; in Gen 2 because I didn't find any of the starters appealing and in Gen 3 I had just too many pokemon I wanted on my team and the starter lost. In Gen 1 I only kept Venusaur because 1) I was a little kid 2) the extremely limited number of useful Grasstypes and in pokemon in general.
In contrast in gen 5 I kept Samurott and in Gen 6 I kept Delphox, because I actually liked those pokemon.

If we get the Mermaid then I will keep my Sun/Moon starter on my team all the way through, but only because I love the mermaid, not because it was forced on me in the beginning of the game.

One of the most appealing aspects of pokemon, to me, is that you get to choose what characters to play with.

This is not an insult or anything, but you sound hard to please with designs.

Liking 3 out of 4 pokemon is " being hard to please?" Well hahaha never said I wasn't. And don't worry I don't take that as an insult :)

Last edited:

glacialcat

And really the game forcing the player to choose between such an extremely limited number of pokemon is not that much effort on the side of the programmers.

I don't think its lack of effort. It has a very purposeful point: To teach new players about type advantages, a fundamental point of the game. 3 Starters is the perfect amount to teach this facet because it can teach you that certain types have advantages and disadvantages over other types. Black and White does this the best, because giving Cheren the starter strong to yours and Bianca the starter weak to yours lets you see both the positives and negatives of the type you chose. This teaching aspect is also why the starters evolve relatively early (14-18), to teach players that evolution is an aspect to the game by roughly the time they beat the first gym.

While you could give access to more starters, you start to unnecessarily complicate things in my opinion, and muddy the waters of type advantage. If for example you gave 18 Starters, one for each type, a young player would be more likely to get bogged down in even making the decision in the first place.

Heck even I spent like 20 minutes trying to decide my starters in the Mystery Dungeon games when they do give you like 15 choices...

Last edited:

Orphalesion

I don't think its lack of effort. It has a very purposeful point: To teach new players about type advantages, a fundamental point of the game. 3 Starters is the perfect amount to teach this facet because it can teach you that certain types have advantages and disadvantages over other types. Black and White does this the best, because giving Cheren the starter strong to yours and Bianca the starter weak to yours lets you see both the positives and negatives of the type you chose. This teaching aspect is also why the starters evolve relatively early (14-18), to teach players that evolution is an aspect to the game by roughly the time they beat the first gym.

Yeah I know that but if you look Knightwolf wrote that he finds it swallow to box a starter after "the game went through the effort of giving you one" when really it is not that much effort. I'm not saying we should get more starters or anything, I'm just saying boxing your starter isn't "bad" or "shallow", since it's a forced choice in a game that promotes choosing of characters and free team building.

ItsMeBrandon

Yeah I know that but if you look Knightwolf wrote that he finds it swallow to box a starter after "the game went through the effort of giving you one" when really it is not that much effort. I'm not saying we should get more starters or anything, I'm just saying boxing your starter isn't "bad" or "shallow", since it's a forced choice in a game that promotes choosing of characters and free team building.

It sounds to me like what was meant was that the game is nice enough to give you a starter Pokémon that's generally stronger than most others that you'll catch, at least in the early game. It's not that it was hard for the programmers to manage, more so that they were nice enough to let players get a decent foothold on things early on. That's how I read it, anyway.

What you do with the starter you get is up to you, of course. I tend to feel attached to the starter I pick no matter what, so they pretty much always stay on my team for the rest of the initial game. If anyone else feels compelled to box their starter (and if we're talking competitively, I totally understand boxing your starter as you'd be breeding for the one you'd use competitively, but this is a different discussion), that's totally fine with me. I just don't personally share the sentiment is all.

TyLogic

Does anyone think Litten or...any one of these Fire-types can learn Flame Wheel? I don't use Fire-types often and when I do, usually, they can't learn Flame Wheel. Flame Wheel is my favorite Fire-type move I think.

Perhaps, with Litten3 being a heel wrestler and all, it will learn fighting moves. But I don't mean Fighting-type moves, I mean moves like Fire Punch. With Feint Attack, the user is supposed to throw a sucker a punch right? Maybe it can learn that if it's supposed to be a Dark-type as well. Maybe instead of learning moves like Seismic Toss and the such, it will learn other moves that are Border line Fighting-type? Wrestling can have punching and kicking too. Mostly grabbing but the others are there as well. And since Litten3 is a heel wrestler, it doesn't exactly play by the rules. Maybe it's moveset isn't limited to just grabbing moves.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
So, my curiosity got the bestof me and I decided to check out the Tiger Mask W character people have been saying Liften looks like, and well...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/max450x450/cms/news/104490/tiger_the_dark01_sp.png.jpg

Yep. The color scheme and wrestler influence definitely fit Tiger the Dark. That said, I doubt he was the inspiration (the Anime only just premiered yesterday in Japan, and this is a new character specifically for this revival), but I do like that it pays homage to the Tiger Mask persona that has existed for about half a century now.

knightwolf09

Does anyone think Litten or...any one of these Fire-types can learn Flame Wheel? I don't use Fire-types often and when I do, usually, they can't learn Flame Wheel. Flame Wheel is my favorite Fire-type move I think.

Perhaps, with Litten3 being a heel wrestler and all, it will learn fighting moves. But I don't mean Fighting-type moves, I mean moves like Fire Punch. With Feint Attack, the user is supposed to throw a sucker a punch right? Maybe it can learn that if it's supposed to be a Dark-type as well. Maybe instead of learning moves like Seismic Toss and the such, it will learn other moves that are Border line Fighting-type? Wrestling can have punching and kicking too. Mostly grabbing but the others are there as well. And since Litten3 is a heel wrestler, it doesn't exactly play by the rules. Maybe it's moveset isn't limited to just grabbing moves.

Let's see, Low Sweep, Vital Throw, Bulk Up, Circle Throw, Seismic Toss, Fire Punch, Beat up, Foul Play, Knock Off, Nasty Plot, Payback, Snarl, Sucker Punch, Taunt, and Acid are the only moves I can think of it learning upon leveling.

So, my curiosity got the bestof me and I decided to check out the Tiger Mask W character people have been saying Liften looks like, and well...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/max450x450/cms/news/104490/tiger_the_dark01_sp.png.jpg

Yep. The color scheme and wrestler influence definitely fit Tiger the Dark. That said, I doubt he was the inspiration (the Anime only just premiered yesterday in Japan, and this is a new character specifically for this revival), but I do like that it pays homage to the Tiger Mask persona that has existed for about half a century now.

He could be based off Black Tiger, basically heel Tiger Mask. He was trained and sent by the Tiger's Cave, an gang like organization, in order to take down Tiger Mask because he refused to join them I guess.

Last edited:

TyLogic

Let's see, Low Sweep, Vital Throw, Bulk Up, Circle Throw, Seismic Toss, Fire Punch, Beat up, Foul Play, Knock Off, Nasty Plot, Payback, Snarl, Sucker Punch, Taunt, and Acid are the only moves I can think of it learning upon leveling.

Yup, pretty much. I just hope they don't make it a psuedo Fighting-type. All those Fighting-type moves...They make me cringe...

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
He could be based off Black Tiger, basically heel Tiger Mask. He was trained and sent by the Tiger's Cave, an gang like organization, in order to take down Tiger Mask because he refused to join them I guess.

I thought of that, but the color scheme didn't really match up, so I figured it might not be the case, especially since there are multiple "Tigers" that belong to the Tiger's Cave(or at least I think so. This is all based off of limited research.)

TyLogic

I kind of miss seeing fake fanart of the starters evolutions. I think them being leaked so early might have ruined it for some people. No ones really making fake second stage starter evolutions.

I'm eager to see Popplio's. It's a sea lion. What kind of body will a starter sea lion have? And for Rowlet...I want more Green.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
I kind of miss seeing fake fanart of the starters evolutions. I think them being leaked so early might have ruined it for some people.

With the amount of people still passing them off as fake until officially shown otherwise, I very much doubt this is why.

But I liked some of the ideas for Popplio's evo.

B. Thunder Tiger

So, just curious, how does everyone still stand around the idea/speculation/theory that the Gen 7 Starters may have split forms? Do you think its still possible for this to happen, or are you more in the camp for the speculated idea that the Gen 7 Starters have so-called Z-Forms? I myself am neutral at this, but if there was a camp I preferred more, it would be the Split Evo/Forms speculation for me personally.

I myself don't think Z-Forms exist, at least not if its supposed to be like Ash-Greninja, seeing common speculation around them is that you need to use a move to trigger this said transformation, and as we know, Ash-Greninja doesn't need to do this. Of course, I know, anime and the games are different in their ways how certain things are portrayed. That said, if they do exist, I could see them work similar to Mega Evolution, where the move's effect only triggers a transformation, instead of an all-powerful attack that causes a transformation during the attack phase or after it. After all, Z-Moves, no matter what, at least from what we know, can only be used once. So the Z-Moves would have to either cause a Transformation, or allow a Pokémon to perform a powerful attack, but not both. I just don't see both powers/effects included into a Z-Move.

In all, from what I can gather on Z-Moves, they could be included into three variants:

1. Transformation Effect similar to Mega Evolution (Zenith Forms)
2. All-Powerful Attack Move (Special or Physical)
3. Stat-Boost/Non-Attack Move

Last edited:

Relax

So, just curious, how does everyone still stand around the idea/speculation/theory that the Gen 7 Starters may have split forms? Do you think its still possible for this to happen, or are you more in the camp for the speculated idea that the Gen 7 Starters have so-called Z-Forms? I myself am neutral at this, but if there was a camp I preferred more, it would be the Split Evo/Forms speculation for me personally.

I myself don't think Z-Forms exist, at least not if its supposed to be like Ash-Greninja, seeing common speculation around them is that you need to use a move to trigger this said transformation. However, Greninja, if its redubbed as a Z-Form in question, doesn't need to perform a move to transform into its Ash-mode. Of course, I know, anime and the games are different in their ways how certain things are portrayed.

That said, if they do exist, I could see them work similar to Mega Evolution, where the move's effect only triggers a Z-Form transformation, but that is it, instead of a all-powerful attack that causes the transformation during the attack phase or after it. After all, Z-Moves, no matter what, at least from what we know, can only be used once. So the Z-Moves would have to either cause a Transformation, or allow a Pokémon to perform a powerful attack, but not both. I just don't see both powers/effects included into a Z-Move.

In all, from what I can gather on Z-Moves, they could be included into three variants:

I still believe in day/night evolutions for the starters, but unlike rockruff they are NOT version exclusive. I think it would be cool change, but idk if it is very likely

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

I myself don't think Z-Forms exist, at least not if its supposed to be like Ash-Greninja, seeing common speculation around them is that you need to use a move to trigger this said transformation, and as we know, Ash-Greninja doesn't need to do this. Of course, I know, anime and the games are different in their ways how certain things are portrayed. That said, if they do exist, I could see them work similar to Mega Evolution, where the move's effect only triggers a transformation, instead of an all-powerful attack that causes a transformation during the attack phase or after it. After all, Z-Moves, no matter what, at least from what we know, can only be used once. So the Z-Moves would have to either cause a Transformation, or allow a Pokémon to perform a powerful attack, but not both. I just don't see both powers/effects included into a Z-Move.

I personally still think it's a good possibility, while I do believe that Z-forms exist in the game, I also think that with what was implied by Corocoro, that distinct possibility of the starters getting forms are very much still there and can be a possibility for them to use. Plus, GF has been really pushing the speciation forms/evolutions idea lately what with Lycanroc, Oricorio, Alolan forms, and a few other Pokémon (with a couple notable rumors alluding to a few other special cases), so the starters joining in is definitely a possibility.

I personally hope they do it, there's so much potential in the idea.

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
I still believe in day/night evolutions for the starters, but unlike rockruff they are NOT version exclusive. I think it would be cool change, but idk if it is very likely

I mean it is still likely, but I think it is more likely that there is a different method to change their final form(as I mentioned earlier, maybe using a certain Z Move?), but it has the same trait as Rockruff where it has two different forms of it's final evolution. The way they didn't specifically connect the starter's secret to Rockruff's makes me feel like they aren't exactly the same, but it seemed as if Rockruff's secret reminded the writer about the starters' secret, and added that part on at the end because they do have a secret that is connected to Rockruff's but not completely the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.